Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

vegeta's still tournament mvp and had a lot of early screentime so it's alright for him not to be at the center atm

gohan could use a fight that makes him not seem pathetic tho, and piccolo being allowed to do anything other than take hits for gohan and lose his arms would be great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

khwarezm posted:

But something like Dr Rota was literally one-note, way more than Ribrianne, he has a mystery power that he keeps hyping up and comedically get interrupted each time he tries to use it. That's it, there's not much more mileage to that joke than what we saw in the show. And I don't know if i'd say DB characters are dishonorable to a point that that universe 10 fighter stood out. It's a series where even bad guys like Cell or (formerly) Vegeta deliberately allow their opponents to reach maximum power and everyone has an unwritten rule about not messing with Transformations or long charge up attacks even if they take a million years. Good fights are themselves a big motivation for most characters, even bad guys.

I didn't mean dishonorable so much as many DB characters in general ooze arrogance. Either they're proud to the point of stupidity, or arrogant to the point of underestimating their own opponents. There are exceptions of course, but the smug arrogance thing is so prevalent that it's one of the biggest things people parody when making fun of the franchise.The U10 guy came across as a guy who was neither of those things right off the bat, which was really cool. He seemed to express humility and sportsmanship in an environment where he had every right to hate U7's guts (I believe they still think Goku and crew are basically villains, but could be wrong). He was the bigger man and had balls. I would have really liked to see more of him, and when he did get eliminated more from what's going on with Gohan's head. That look he gave the locket before it got erased was heartbreaking and said a lot without him saying a word.

That's just one example given, though. Hell, the tournament isn't over and we may still meet some awesome characters that are deprived of precious screentime.

Zzulu posted:

Ribrienne sucks

Show me more of

a) Gohan
b) Piccolo
c) Frieza
d) Vegeta

Hell even vegeta is doing barely anything right now, can't they at least give him a token rival in this tournament?

Frieza is my personal favorite but he's been getting a decent amount of love in the past couple of episodes. loving Piccolo though, no love whatsoever so far. His arms got blown off so many times in that sniper episode it started to feel like a TFS skit.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Genocyber posted:

Ribrianne owns, actually. And I think you might be projecting onto the show here, cause I'm pretty sure it's never said that (outside of Krillin commenting and then getting shut up by Toppo and some others).

That said the show has been mishandling her quite a bit, but that's true of a lot of people in the ToP. I'm hoping episodes going forward do more with her (a decent possibility since if they weren't they'd have probably just had her get knocked out by SSB Goku).

if you have to said it's never said outside of when it's said, it was said.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Anyone remember that 18 is still in the tournament?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
We are about half way through the tournament and only two universes have been eliminated. This thing might not go to total elimination. What happens if the clock runs out and two (or more) universes have a tie for remaining number of fighters?

What happens if one universe eliminates all other teams, but still has multiple members remaining themselves? Do they fight among themselves for the Super Dragonballs?

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Oct 12, 2017

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Kashuno posted:

Anyone remember that 18 is still in the tournament?

17 stole her thunder. She deserves some solo love too though, now that Krillin's eliminated, or at least some more creepy android twin action with 17. Actually I vote for the latter because with 17's life as a ranger, the odds of the two getting to interact together again like they are now are pretty slim. They still have great chemistry together.

For the future of ToP I'm guessing either there's going to be a mass wipeout of the remaining weaker fighters courtesy of Jiren, or sudden death rules set in.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Rutibex posted:

We are about half way through the tournament and only two universes have been eliminated. This thing might not go to total elimination. What happens if the clock runs out and two (or more) universes have a tie for remaining number of fighters?

What happens if one universe eliminates all other teams, but still has multiple members remaining themselves? Do they fight among themselves for the Super Dragonballs?

If it’s a tie I assume it’ll have the stage fall apart or something.
The super dragon balls go to the MVP as determined by Zeno

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Look if dodging Ribrianne isnt setting up how Vegeta learns ultimate instinct her character is pointless.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I had forgotten about that! I'd still argue that's more Vegeta being an rear end than anything, though.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

if you have to said it's never said outside of when it's said, it was said.

Except "it being said" is immediately negated by other characters so I'm not sure what you're on about. The above post is a better response.

My point is that, outside of those two moments, Ribrianne has been portrayed pretty well for a woman with an atypical body type by the standards of the medium. She's not constantly made the butt of jokes about her appearance, she's shown to be one of the stronger non-U6/U7 contenders, and she's the kind of goofy character that's kind of been missing since the early days of DB.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
the dr rota joke was incredibly good thanks whoever for reminding me about that

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I took it as Vegeta being grossed out by the fact that she was chanting "LOVE LOVE LOVE" or whatever every time her face rolled back onto the front, while making a weird face, rather than Vegeta being grossed out by her body. He just couldn't get into the fight.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Super has had a fair share of goofy characters introduced, though Jaco's more of an inherited character from a different manga. Monaka was a funny little dude who's a bit of a weirdo while being oblivious and totally in over his head. He bowed out once his gimmick was old. Super's had Vegeta being a good and even Piccolo. Magetta's a big rear end robot dude who hates being called mean names. He also bowed out when his gimmick was old.

All of those are in better taste, intent and execution than Ribrianne.
I wasn't even arguing against her as a whole, she was interesting to begin with and now it's played out and she needs a new gimmick or to go.

deadly_pudding posted:

I took it as Vegeta being grossed out by the fact that she was chanting "LOVE LOVE LOVE" or whatever every time her face rolled back onto the front, while making a weird face, rather than Vegeta being grossed out by her body. He just couldn't get into the fight.

It's all the same joke. She's ugly and fat, they're both part of the joke they're making with her.

tbp posted:

the dr rota joke was incredibly good thanks whoever for reminding me about that

:yeah:

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
I don't mind Ribbanne being goofy but I think her issues are a microcosm of the tournament itself, where no one is on U6 or 7's level. Ribbanne's is worse because she isn't a MoTW like the other ones that have been knocked out; for some reason Goku and Vegeta keep fighting her then just loving off. It comes off as Ribbanne not even being worth the effort of eliminating, particularly when Goku was able to go even with her while in base form.

It's impossible to get her as being 'strong' because she seems to only continue to exist because her design is pretty striking and easy to animate; her colors are basic and she can be used for a lot of stock footage because 'hey look we're calling out tropes' instead of 'hey look we're lazy'. I feel bad for her, because I wanted her to rock since she's in the opening fighting Vegeta, but she just...doesn't seem to be.

But that doesn't mean I think she's a bad character or that I feel cheated she isn't able to match Ultra Instinct Kaio-Ken x100 Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan Super Saiyan Goku. I just feel like she could have been portrayed better and if they had bothered to color Goku and Vegeta's hair the most recent times they fought her I'd feel a lot better about her as a fighter. I think her idea is cool but they fumbled the execution, then used the fact she's a Magical Girl joke to go 'hey this means we can use Stock Footage of her over and over again since that's a trope'. And if that's what it takes to get good animation for stuff like the Special and whatever comes after it, I guess that's okay. It's disappointing, but not everyone or every universe can have a fighter who can hang at the top levels (Though in my ideal world they would)

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Her re-doing her henshin because #17 interrupted her was some good poo poo by the way.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Her re-doing her henshin because #17 interrupted her was some good poo poo by the way.

oh it was super great poo poo. I'm not denying that. It's after that when she does every attack 3 times with the exact same animation where it's like 'wait why are we still doing this'

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
17 and 18 need to accel dance on some poor clown

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think people are mistaking Goku and Vegeta not going super as Goku and Vegeta not thinking characters are powerful but that is demonstrably untrue. When Ribrianne transformed Goku was like "man, she's powerful." Both of them are holding off on using forms except in short bursts because they're trying not to bleed themselves dry. You can argue maybe it's more logical to go out early and take out potentially strong challengers quickly but they seem to think it's more worthwhile to try to outlast which makes sense. You don't win by KOing the most, you win by surviving. If Goku KOs half the universes in Super Saiyan Blue and goes down, it doesn't win any harder.

Caros
May 14, 2008

TN: Henshin means transformation.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

TN means translators note.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I think people are mistaking Goku and Vegeta not going super as Goku and Vegeta not thinking characters are powerful but that is demonstrably untrue. When Ribrianne transformed Goku was like "man, she's powerful." Both of them are holding off on using forms except in short bursts because they're trying not to bleed themselves dry. You can argue maybe it's more logical to go out early and take out potentially strong challengers quickly but they seem to think it's more worthwhile to try to outlast which makes sense. You don't win by KOing the most, you win by surviving. If Goku KOs half the universes in Super Saiyan Blue and goes down, it doesn't win any harder.

It still puts Ribrianne a solid tier below Goku and 'Geets, which is kind of disappointing since she's Uwhatever's strongest and one of the combatants the show has focused on the most.

I agree with what others are saying in that she had a strongly early showing but has been poorly handled as of late, which is precisely why I want to see more of her before she's eliminated. I wouldn't mind her going next episode even if they just showed her putting up a good fight against SSB Vegeta or something.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

She's powerful in respect to everyone but the main players. She's still below them. Goku couldn't even last long without going all out against Jiren meanwhile everyone is mostly ignoring her.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
I was originally all in for Ribrianne specially when the opening teased that she would giving Vegeta a hell of a time. I was hoping she would enforce Beware of the Silly Ones by actually being a really strong fighter, yet she continually gets clowned by base form Goku/Vegeta and even Android 17. Thus she ends up being nothing more than a gag character

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

TN means translators note.

Sure it does, Miami Mike.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

lezard_valeth posted:

Thus she ends up being nothing more than a gag character

.. oh poo poo Vegeta is hosed.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Genocyber posted:

It still puts Ribrianne a solid tier below Goku and 'Geets, which is kind of disappointing since she's Uwhatever's strongest and one of the combatants the show has focused on the most.

I agree with what others are saying in that she had a strongly early showing but has been poorly handled as of late, which is precisely why I want to see more of her before she's eliminated. I wouldn't mind her going next episode even if they just showed her putting up a good fight against SSB Vegeta or something.

I don't have the faith in the writers doing her well at this point. DBS has surprised me before, but usually gimmicks like that don't get done well after they jumped the shark like she did. I think when she started hitting on Jiren is when I just lost all hope in that character.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I think her interrupting was actually really good, and that's the latest thing she's done, and seems like a character shift of her being a giant jerk.

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

The one thing that bothers me most about Ribrianne is her legs. She's got knees on her tiny baby legs. It makes me wonder how weird her skeleton would look everytime I see those things bend.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Mordaedil posted:

I don't have the faith in the writers doing her well at this point. DBS has surprised me before, but usually gimmicks like that don't get done well after they jumped the shark like she did. I think when she started hitting on Jiren is when I just lost all hope in that character.

That was great, though. It wasn't even hitting on so much as threatening someone in the way only a love-obsessed weirdo could. The way she darted out from her hiding spot to make sure she wasn't missing his reaction was priceless, too.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

I only watch the filthy dub on Toonami but I'm going to assume that eventually Frieza and Frost are going to do the fusion dance at some point. c/d?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

graham cracker posted:

The one thing that bothers me most about Ribrianne is her legs. She's got knees on her tiny baby legs. It makes me wonder how weird her skeleton would look everytime I see those things bend.

why are you assuming she has a skeleton anymore?

i think her body is manipulated and held together by pure love

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Faustian Bargain posted:

I only watch the filthy dub on Toonami but I'm going to assume that eventually Frieza and Frost are going to do the fusion dance at some point. c/d?

Something like that

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Faustian Bargain posted:

Nope

What really happens is much better.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Okay now you have to tell me.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Faustian Bargain posted:

Sorry, you have to wait until the dub catches up in early 2019. thems the breaks for being a filthy gaijin

in the current arc, a tournament for the survival of one universe from total erasure happens. Frieza is revived to round out the numbers, and fakes an alliance with him. Frost buys Frieza's deceit, and ends up getting ringed out by Frieza after some trickery on Frieza's part. Frost loses his poo poo, tries to attack from the stands, instantly erased.

It owns

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

That doesn't sound better than Froeza/Frieost

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It depends on how you feel about Frieza entering maximum smug.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Faustian Bargain posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRM1MHoN0lY

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
If it turns out there's cosmic lovecraftian Old Gods that Jiren is tied to before Zeno came around and re-built the universe that sure would be a thing

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Carlosologist posted:

Sorry, you have to wait until the dub catches up in early 2019. thems the breaks for being a filthy gaijin

in the current arc, a tournament for the survival of one universe from total erasure happens. Frieza is revived to round out the numbers, and fakes an alliance with him. Frost buys Frieza's deceit, and ends up getting ringed out by Frieza after some trickery on Frieza's part. Frost loses his poo poo, tries to attack from the stands, instantly erased.

It owns

you didn't even mention Freeza trolling Frost by showing him how to use the completely useless buff form and telling him to use it as soon as possible for maximum efficiency

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Augus posted:

you didn't even mention Freeza trolling Frost by showing him how to use the completely useless buff form and telling him to use it as soon as possible for maximum efficiency

I do wonder if it was a "test" in the same way that he was testing Gohan with the first blow in their spar, or if he had already decided Frost was an incompetent useless embarrassment of his race.