Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Goku may have stolen all his moves but he's still essentially the only practitioner of most of them in the show. Kaio-ken, Spirit Bomb and Instant Transmission may as well be his signature moves.

Gohan at this point is reliable not going to do anything other than a Kamehameha, or if he's feeling really nostalgic a Masenko. He's a book nerd, he should invent some kind of technical kai move that's really effective in a convoluted, gimpy way, like a geometry Hellzone Grenade or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

kaioken disappeared for decades and the spirit bomb has worked all of one time in the history of dragon ball. there was a yardrat in super so he's not really the sole practitioner of that either anymore

his signature move is the kamehameha

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Manatee Cannon posted:

to be fair, goku uses exactly zero original moves at this point. his fight with roshi is the last time he used any

the last thing goku came up with himself was ss3 and it was so useless that not even he uses it anymore. that's if you can really call a racial trait a move anyway

Goku's innovations usually come from improving and iterating on existing moves. Kaioken was never meant to be used remotely to the degree Goku used it even way back on Namek, Goku is pretty much the father of every evolution of the Super Saiyan transformation(he knew about Buff Mode before Trunks jobbed with it, he had an inkling SS2 existed which is why he pushed Gohan to do it, he came up with SS3, first one to go SSB, etc), he's come up with cool combinations of his stolen moves like his instant transmission kamehameha poo poo that he used on Cell and Toppo, etc.

He's also pretty creative about coming up with ways to deal with his opponent's gimmicks, though those methods typically aren't "come up with a new move" so much as "figure out how to use my existing moves to win".

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

pretty sure vegeta went blue first? and he just knew gohan was stronger than him. ss2 wasn't even a term at that point

he also didn't come up with either super saiyan or super saiyan god. 3 is the only one he had any hand in

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
the gently caress are you getting "vegeta went blue first" from

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I'm pretty sure they say that in super but I could be wrong about that one

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

I'm pretty sure they say that in super but I could be wrong about that one

they both went blue in the staff but I dont think it says who did it first

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

It's live!

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

So think Jiren actually works now.
He is still super stoic and (plot conveniently) not bothering with weak fighters, but ever since he started doing stuff his whole ~he is so super strong~ isn't just us being told so, we can see it.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

RIP Hit, also possibly RIP Cabba if he's fighting Frieza next episode

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Even when he loses Hit goes out with a crazy cool fight. I wouldn't even call it jobbing considering he actually managed to get Jiren to stumble. Champa having a nice and reassuring moment with him was great.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
I hope the U6 saiyans get some kind of arc after the tournament, Cabba hasn't done a thing since recruiting Kale and Caulifula

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

PEARL GROWLS "TAKE OFF THAT SHIRT, STEVEN." I COMPLY, REVEALING THE FULL LENGTH SHIRT TATTOO. PEARL RETREATS INTO HER GEM, DEFEATED.
Hey guys, I've got the most powerful combatant at a point where he basically can't defend himself well standing near the edge of a ring out and three really powerful allies right next to me, how about I send them off to fight other people instead of having all three pummel this dude the 7 feet backwards it would have taken to eliminate him!

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

GLOSS posted:

Hey guys, I've got the most powerful combatant at a point where he basically can't defend himself well standing near the edge of a ring out and three really powerful allies right next to me, how about I send them off to fight other people instead of having all three pummel this dude the 7 feet backwards it would have taken to eliminate him!

Right???

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

GLOSS posted:

I can only assume that because Jiren was under the effect of time skip, he couldn't be knocked back because that would involve the passage of time?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Junpei Hyde posted:

I can only assume that because Jiren was under the effect of time skip, he couldn't be knocked back because that would involve the passage of time?

Yeah, this is what I assumed as well. Hit wanted to win by having himself + at least one other u6 member left when time ran out.

Also when Freeza gave Goku energy did he quote back what Goku said to him after doing the same on Namek?

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
This episode definitely was a job for Frost

When Jiren was time stopped at the edge he could have just ninja pushed him

Frieza just doomed all universes.

But at the same time his smugness gets even more off the charts with each episode, so he is cool.

The tournament has gotten so good that I'm actively skipping past the Limit X Survivor to be able to start watching it faster. That's how good.

Junpei Hyde posted:

Yeah I think any disturbance would have broken the Time Cage, and with how incredibly stupidly strong and fast Jiren has been shown to be, just one second would be enough to get away before anyone could have knocked him

edit: Also I'm kinda sad now that they revealed last episode that Jiren has a Ki aura himself that he uses when really really pushed. I would have liked if his whole deal was just "so stupidly drat strong that he can punch through time and reality

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Oct 15, 2017

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

GLOSS posted:

becuase then Jiren would be free to mess with them, and he could easily take them all out at that point

Jiren v Mastered UI Goku is going to own

Also it’s kinda stupid that after all this Caulifla and Kale decide now is the time to go fight Goku

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Kashuno posted:

Also it’s kinda stupid that after all this Caulifla and Kale decide now is the time to go fight Goku

Saiyans and 'smart battle tactics' have not been on good speaking terms for a while now.

Serge Painsbourg
Jul 26, 2016

GLOSS posted:

So much for trusting your allies. If he really trusted them, he would've had them finish Jiren off.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Something else I realized is that Hit used the same tactic that Goku used on him in the 6/7 tournament to get a shot in on Jiren

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Personally, despite really really liking Jiren

I think that it's completely stupid out of him to go "yeah, no one's worth fighting anymore, I'm going back to bed, bye". I mean dude can count right? Toppo and Rabbit are in no condition to go around knocking down opponents and they are the universe with less warriors left. Sure, he is probably confident that with 1 minute left he can just go on a rampage and knock down every opponent, but why take the risk? Specially when the tournament's end condition is "either one universe remains or time runs out and whoever has more warriors win". Pretty big flaw to attribute to pride, and a bit dickish too coming from the "good guys" team to let the other universes to continue struggling for survival when you know and they know they are hopeless

Granted, Bond Villain Stupidity is needed in order to advance the plot and the other universes are probably gonna waste time fighting each other instead of doing the smart thing of "hey, let's ALL join forces and try to knock him down while he is sleeping, if that doesn't work then I guess we can go on to keep on punching each other. No? We are just gonna pretend he is not an issue till he becomes an issue again?Ok!"

IcePhoenix posted:

Something else I realized is that Hit used the same tactic that Goku used on him in the 6/7 tournament to get a shot in on Jiren

He did the same against Rabbit. Hit really took the lessons from his good friend Goku to heart.

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Oct 15, 2017

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Hit was able to get one good punch in on Jiren, he should have use an assassination move and killed him. He was sacrificing himself anyway.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Rutibex posted:

Hit was able to get one good punch in on Jiren, he should have use an assassination move and killed him. He was sacrificing himself anyway.

Who would do this after the Zenos made it clear they'll delete anyone who breaks the rules.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Rutibex posted:

I am not sure if Hit knows about the Angels having that power, but there is no guarantee that by killing an opponent you get disqualified and your opponent time reversed back to life making your "sacrifice for the greater cause" completely pointless.

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Oct 15, 2017

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

IcePhoenix posted:

So is that a move Goku invented, that someone else stole?

TheHan posted:

Who would do this after the Zenos made it clear they'll delete anyone who breaks the rules.

Someone that decided that the risk was worth it to their universe.

Serge Painsbourg
Jul 26, 2016

lezard_valeth posted:

Personally, despite really really liking Jiren

I think that it's completely stupid out of him to go "yeah, no one's worth fighting anymore, I'm going back to bed, bye". I mean dude can count right? Toppo and Rabbit are in no condition to go around knocking down opponents and they are the universe with less warriors left. Sure, he is probably confident that with 1 minute left he can just go on a rampage and knock down every opponent, but why take the risk? Specially when the tournament's end condition is "either one universe remains or time runs out and whoever has more warriors win". Pretty big flaw to attribute to pride, and a big dickish too coming from the "good guys" team to let the other universes to continue struggling for survival when you know and they know they are hopeless

Granted, Bond Villain Stupidity is needed in order to advance the plot and the other universes are probably gonna waste time fighting each other instead of doing the smart thing of "hey, let's ALL join forces and try to knock him down while he is sleeping, if that doesn't work then I guess we can go on to keep on punching each other. No? We are just gonna pretend he is not an issue till he becomes an issue again?Ok!"

That was a stupid move on his part. Given his strength, though, it'd be smarter for the other characters to attack Toppo and Dyspo because it's just the three of them left, and Toppo and Dyspo are starting to tire. It'd be easy enough to get Universe 11 to lose by attacking its weaker remaining members and just hiding from Jiren the rest of the time.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

I suspect he needed to recharge with his meditation anyway

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Based on the dent in Jiren's chest matching the one given to Goku way back when, I think Hit *did* use an assassination technique, and it just didn't work.

Also I guess the meditation will allow Jiren even greater focus or something to make him even more powerful.

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...
Excellent episode. The little scenes where Universe 2 and Universe 6 console each other over their losses were really sweet! Goes to show that a lot of this tournament is heroes vs. other heroes. I'm a bit disappointed that Hit won't be a factor in the finale now, but my guy went out like a champ.

OB_Juan posted:

Someone that decided that the risk was worth it to their universe.

Not that that wouldn't be heroic on Hit's part, but the Zenos' specifically said they'd delete all of Universe 6 if they broke the rules again. They can thank Frost for that.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I wonder if we'll find out if Jiren had to do something particularly special to obtain his freakish reality-bending strength, or if it's just kind of going to be his thing

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I thought this was a really strong episode. definitely liked that U2 and U6 picked each other up as time passes and the situation grows more dire. The preview for next week was great, definitely get the sense that Vegeta does care about Cabba as his pupil

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

OB_Juan posted:

So is that a move Goku invented, that someone else stole?

I don't think "let them hit me so I can learn their movements" really counts as a move

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Ribrianne's going to survive to the very end and blindside someone for the win.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Yeah, something's weird about Jiren. The healing of the wound Hit inflicted seemed strange. I wonder if Jiren isn't Superman, but maybe more like Captain Marvel or Prime. He's wearing a super strong body over his weaker real one.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The best way to defeat Jiren is to lower your guard right before he hits you, dying on purpose and disqualifying him.

And from what I saw, Jiren said, basically, with Goku gone, the other two Pride Troopers are more powerful than anyone else around. Which makes sense, since no one has seen Freeza's full power and Vegeta tops off at SSB to this point.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Little Mac posted:

Yeah, something's weird about Jiren. The healing of the wound Hit inflicted seemed strange. I wonder if Jiren isn't Superman, but maybe more like Captain Marvel or Prime. He's wearing a super strong body over his weaker real one.

Real Jiren is a Jaco.

Darko posted:

The best way to defeat Jiren is to lower your guard right before he hits you, dying on purpose and disqualifying him.

Zenos: "That was cool, so we won't delete Jiren for murking that dude!"

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I think Jiren had to go into his meditative stance. I think it's a possibility he can only use his strength for short bursts.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea I figured the meditation thing was him recharging

the preview has me pumped for more bonding time with vegeta and cabba. cabba really needs something because he's been irrelevant since the tournament began. figure he'll make it out of his freeza encounter ok too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Darko posted:

And from what I saw, Jiren said, basically, with Goku gone, the other two Pride Troopers are more powerful than anyone else around. Which makes sense, since no one has seen Freeza's full power and Vegeta tops off at SSB to this point.

Well yeah, but Dyspo is tired, and unlike Jiren, both him and Toppo are succeptibe to zerg tactics. 17 and Vegeta could definitely take down Toppo if they cared to coopeate. Not to mention that Kale's Berserker mode runs on different kind of batteries than energy, so she may become a factor again at random.