Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

well, it is a children's show.

Yeah, but Ex-Aid opens with a bunch of CGI video game stuff and a giant chibi Kamen Rider. That's pretty different from the first episode of Kiva or Faiz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, for one, it's actually good.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i don't think ex-aid would have been very good without dan kuroto.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

That does not change the fact that it is a good show.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

coconono posted:

I'm just sayin this stuff seems written for people into boobies, gore and no pesky womanly backtalk.

I might take a break from GARO stuff to check out some Kamen Rider stuff. Amazons look neat. I tried ExAid but it was too shiny and happy for my tastes.
If you want darker, just watch Agito or Kuuga.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

coconono posted:

I'm just sayin this stuff seems written for people into boobies, gore and no pesky womanly backtalk.

It tends to depend on the characters involved. Kouga is a kind of hoity toity imperious dude at first, maybe the tokusatsu character that is closest to rear end in a top hat Batman, so his treatment of Kaoru follows as such. He settles down a lot after after the first series.

Rei treats women the way most playboy characters in Japanese media who aren't bad guys do i.e. he flirts a lot, but is really protective, and its kind of dull

Then you've got Ryuga, who is kind of the bland, personality-less Lupin to Rian's less charming, less interesting Fujiko

Raiga and Mayuri are great, and almost an inversion of Kouga and Kaoru's relationship, although Mayuri is more aloof than stuck up.

And then there's Bikuu, who doesn't take no poo poo and is probably to other Makai Priests what Garo is to other Makai Knights

OnimaruXLR fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Oct 15, 2017

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Kamen Rider: The First and Kamen Rider: The Next are also amusing movies to watch if you don't take Toku too seriously. They're both very different movies with so little to do with Kamen Rider but if you're just wanting to watch a trashy movie they're good enough. The first especially because it's a borderline Japanese horror movie

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
For what it's worth, Ex-Aid does get much more serious after the first twelve episodes, once it's lulled you into a false sense of security. But the aesthetic never changes.

Amazons is great, though.

RealFoxy posted:

If you want darker, just watch Agito or Kuuga.
Kuuga first, then Agito. Then, if you're still hungry for more, Gaim.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well, if he is put off by the colorful child-friendly aesthetic of ex-aid i doubt that gaim's fruit samurai and dance fights* will do anything for him

*no actual dance fights occur

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Build 7: Everyone who was surprised by that reveal, raise your hand.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

Build 7: Everyone who was surprised by that reveal, raise your hand.

Which one? Both were pretty obvious.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It's not surprising, though we know Rogue answers to someone else now. Speaking of revelations, I'll be impressed if they go all-in on Sento being a lovely dude in his previous life. I can see ways they could walk back the degree of Takumi's involvement in the Nebula Gas experiments, but even that still leaves the probable body-swap thing.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

well, if he is put off by the colorful child-friendly aesthetic of ex-aid i doubt that gaim's fruit samurai and dance fights* will do anything for him

*no actual dance fights occur

I might pick it up again later but not right now. Currently in the mood for moody cute boys in high stakes violent fights.

I'm really digging Agito. Kamen Rider in three different flavors! yeah!

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

coconono posted:

I might pick it up again later but not right now. Currently in the mood for moody cute boys in high stakes violent fights.

I'm really digging Agito. Kamen Rider in three different flavors! yeah!

Then Gaim is actually up your alley, give that a shot after Agito!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, the most light-hearted thing about Gaim is its aesthetics, and that was all Bandai.

Rent-a-Bot
Oct 21, 2012

FOOL! DOCTOR DOOM DOES AS HE PLEASES!
:gaz: :gaz: :gaz:
In hindsight, it's probably not a coincidence that the two people who came to Katsuragi's apartment are also the only two people who haven't turned into smash after the treatment.

Rent-a-Bot
Oct 21, 2012

Also Soichi's look of betrayal at everyone pulling out canned coffee instead of drinking his was poetry in motion.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

coconono posted:

I sense a negative tone, like these are things no one would enjoy?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Banjou is my favorite Rider supporting character in a while because with how he's introduced, you think he's gonna be a badass tough guy, but he's a big dumb goober and it's great.

E: Like, his idea of a disguise to cross national borders is to just be a clown for some reason.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Oct 15, 2017

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

SpazmasterX posted:

I sense a negative tone, like these are things no one would enjoy?
I live to backtalk.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Waffleman_ posted:

Banjou is my favorite Rider supporting character in a while because with how he's introduced, you think he's gonna be a badass tough guy, but he's a big dumb goober and it's great.

E: Like, his idea of a disguise to cross national borders is to just be a clown for some reason.

Hey, it worked. If those pesky kids had not undone his disguise, no one would've known he was wanted murderer Banjou Ryuuga.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
this thread is now about 2 Power 2 Rangers and how that film hosed up whatever chance of Toku hitting it bigtime

I hope you all are as extremely pissed about that film as i am :bang:

Like just the mere thought of what could've been (one Multi-Million dollar tribute to Tokusatsu complete with Toku tropes)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Hate to break it to you, but toku already hit it big time in America in 1993. The series is a shell of its former self and Toei is asking too much for Rider to make that a viable option.

Also, I kinda liked the movie. But trust me, what you're imagining it could be just...wouldn't work in America.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Hate to break it to you, but toku already hit it big time in America in 1993. The series is a shell of its former self and Toei is asking too much for Rider to make that a viable option.

Also, I kinda liked the movie. But trust me, what you're imagining it could be just...wouldn't work in America.

I mean just the same thing only with CGI MoCap instead of guy in robot suit :v:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
American Toku is a thing and it's one of the biggest things on cable television and has been for like a decade now.

Supernatural and The Arrowverse are our Kamen Riders.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

American Toku is a thing and it's one of the biggest things on cable television and has been for like a decade now.

Supernatural and The Flash are our Kamen Riders.

My ideal version of that film would likely have given people seizures

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
It doesn't matter what that movie looked like. They've done one PR movie that looked like someone threw money at all the stupid things in the show, one PR movie that looked like an episode of the TV show on a movie screen, and one PR movie that tried to reduce it's corny poo poo to dressing on an appealing CW drama.

None of it worked, though the third one was cut off at the knees by debuting opposite a Disney film.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Craptacular! posted:

It doesn't matter what that movie looked like. They've done one PR movie that looked like someone threw money at all the stupid things in the show, one PR movie that looked like an episode of the TV show on a movie screen, and one PR movie that tried to reduce it's corny poo poo to dressing on an appealing CW drama.

None of it worked, though the third one was cut off at the knees by debuting opposite a Disney film.

Nooooo there always a chanceee :smith:

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I loved everything about the new Power Ranger movie and felt it hit everything I ever wanted out of a US reimagining of Toku. Which is actually pretty hard because Toku really relies on how "baked in" it is to japanese culture. Strip all that out and what's left is Henshin, Kaiju and Shouted Super Attacks.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

coconono posted:

I loved everything about the new Power Ranger movie and felt it hit everything I ever wanted out of a US reimagining of Toku. Which is actually pretty hard because Toku really relies on how "baked in" it is to japanese culture. Strip all that out and what's left is Henshin, Kaiju and Shouted Super Attacks.

get the gently caress out.

Rent-a-Bot
Oct 21, 2012

Had some time to ruminate on it, and I really like the trajectory they're taking with Banjou and Sento. You have the initial setup of Sento trusting Banjou despite the shady poo poo around him, as well as the whole thing with Banjou learning to be a hero from Sento's example. But as the story goes on and more shady poo poo surrounding Sento's past is being revealed, it sets up a sort of reverse situation where Banjou has to be the one to believe in Sento despite circumstances, which'll be a good moment for capping off this initial character arc for Banjou.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

get the gently caress out.

this but unironically

Gotenks0053
Sep 2, 2011
So, me and my friends have been watching the first season of Terrace House, a Japanese reality show, and look who's here!

Lost my poo poo when I saw him show up.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Rent-a-Bot posted:

Also Soichi's look of betrayal at everyone pulling out canned coffee instead of drinking his was poetry in motion.

I knew it was gonna happen, and yet when he offered the cup I was surprised that he even was doing it.

The lack of any commentary was amazing. Not making a big deal out of it, no "LOOK AND LAUGH", it's just part of their lives, as much as breathing or something.

Also, speaking of Kamen Rider actors, Sota Fukushi, the guy who played Gentarou in Fourze, is the main antagonist (Anotsu Kagehisa) in Blade of the Immortal. Good film too, a definite recommendation.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I have been trying to avoid watching Terrace House because I dislike reality TV as a rule but between its reported mentions of Oda/One Piece and now the presence of God, I may break down and watch it. It does help that it's supposed to actually be good.

Also seconding the strength of Build's comedy. It has its over the top moments but the subtler stuff is just so good.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I have been trying to avoid watching Terrace House because I dislike reality TV as a rule but between its reported mentions of Oda/One Piece and now the presence of God, I may break down and watch it. It does help that it's supposed to actually be good.

Also seconding the strength of Build's comedy. It has its over the top moments but the subtler stuff is just so good.
I watched the second season (Boys and Girls in the City) and it's a really cozy Slice of Life show revolving around 3 boys and 3 girls trying to form natural relationships. It doesn't get as cheesy or catty as American reality like Big Brother or Real World, but there's definitely drama thrown in there on occasion

I don't know how I feel about the third season though, it's in Hawaii now and almost the entire cast is Half Japanese, or all Japanese but lived in Hawaii or America their whole lives and there's one girl there that barely speaks Japanese and just switches to English mid conversation constantly.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Apparently Ex-Aid Final Stage has Gamedeus taking his own Muteki form and Nico finally getting a full Rider form as Kamen Rider Nico Snipe. Oh, and Burgermon is back as Double Cheese Burgermon.

I'm now very interested in it and I hope it gets subbed eventually.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

Apparently Ex-Aid Final Stage has Gamedeus taking his own Muteki form and Nico finally getting a full Rider form as Kamen Rider Nico Snipe. Oh, and Burgermon is back as Double Cheese Burgermon.

I'm now very interested in it and I hope it gets subbed eventually.

This is now the only time I've been excited by the possibility of a Rider stage show being subbed and the only one I've found interesting aside from the Decade one having a bit in Rider Hell which has Kaixa, Ouja, and the Hopper Brothers in it. I guess the Hoppers actually have seen hell. :P

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

RealFoxy posted:

I watched the second season (Boys and Girls in the City) and it's a really cozy Slice of Life show revolving around 3 boys and 3 girls trying to form natural relationships. It doesn't get as cheesy or catty as American reality like Big Brother or Real World, but there's definitely drama thrown in there on occasion

I don't know how I feel about the third season though, it's in Hawaii now and almost the entire cast is Half Japanese, or all Japanese but lived in Hawaii or America their whole lives and there's one girl there that barely speaks Japanese and just switches to English mid conversation constantly.

Idk if it's true with Terrace House, but with the American version of those shows, alcohol was basically on tap all of the time and people were either pushed into drama or edited to appear as such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gotenks0053
Sep 2, 2011

Xelkelvos posted:

Idk if it's true with Terrace House, but with the American version of those shows, alcohol was basically on tap all of the time and people were either pushed into drama or edited to appear as such.

Nah not really, it's just people living their lives, but they also live together. Here's a link to the first season that's currently being subbed, since it's not on US Netflix: https://terriblehouse.com/

Our lord and savior comes in at episode 20.