Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
Funny you should be talking about made up fan bullshit. I just invested way too much time in thinking about how Ki and Power Levels work:

https://addermoray.tumblr.com/post/166526515869/the-unified-theory-of-ki

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So I finally finished the Black Goku arc. If the Evil Containment Wave is so effective, then why didn't they use it during past battles?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

punk rebel ecks posted:

So I finally finished the Black Goku arc. If the Evil Containment Wave is so effective, then why didn't they use it during past battles?
Most of their enemies were not evil ghosts

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

The Mafuba also requires actual setup, as you saw what happened when Zamasu broke out because Goku left the seal on the toilet

It’s an effective but high maintenance technique

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm also PRETTY sure they forgot about it

Though yeah, with Freeza, they never had the materials needed.

With Cell, he'd know how to counter it.

Buu would likely just scream his way out

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Nessus posted:

Most of their enemies were not evil ghosts

Zamasu and Black were ghosts?

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

punk rebel ecks posted:

Zamasu and Black were ghosts?

Gods/Spirits same deal.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

mafuba works on everyone; it worked on loving turtle. also it has less setup than the spirit bomb with better returns

toriyama thought it would be cool or someone else reminded him it existed and he went "o yea" and they added it in. if it bothers you, I guess you could rationalize it as people deciding it was useless after piccolo reversed it on kami?

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I mean we have a perfectly canon reason

Goku, Vegeta, and all goddamn saiyans save Trunks have a death wish to punch their foes down instead of using the Sensible Victory Button

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Manatee Cannon posted:

mafuba works on everyone; it worked on loving turtle. also it has less setup than the spirit bomb with better returns

toriyama thought it would be cool or someone else reminded him it existed and he went "o yea" and they added it in. if it bothers you, I guess you could rationalize it as people deciding it was useless after piccolo reversed it on kami?
Actually I guess there were vaguely plausible reasons why nobody tried it on most of the villains. If I recall, only Tien and Roshi actually knew how to do it during DB and thus DBZ.

Raditz: Took them by surprise, was so strong Goku going all out couldn't match him; Roshi or Tien might've tried if Raditz had gone to clear off other high-ish power levels I guess
Nappa and Vegeta: Crushingly powerful, and there were two of them; until Goku showed up, all they would've done is shocked Vegeta or Nappa, who would have probably proceeded to kill them all and break the jar.
Freeza and his goons: Tien was dead, Roshi was on Earth.
Androids: Did Tien even show up for them? Also, they're robots.
Cell: Tien's ultimate suicide attack barely stalled Cell, he didn't have time to set up
Buu: Nobody called Tien, and he was barely able to dodge the Human Extermination Attack.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I feel like Super tried to address this too by having Frost figure out the Reverse Mafuba on the spot.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Using the Mafuba on Buu seems like a tremendously bad idea, and I can't articulate why

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Raxivace posted:

I feel like Super tried to address this too by having Frost figure out the Reverse Mafuba on the spot.
Yeah, Cell or Vegeta would've probably figured it out. Nappa maybe not, but even if Vegeta decides to leave Nappa in the jar forever, he would have instantly smoked everyone present before they can get out the second jar.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

if they thought the mafuba was a worthwhile thing to use, someone would have learned how to do it between king piccolo dying and zamasu

Raxivace posted:

he does but only after it fails once. so as long as you get it in one try, you're set for anyone

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
god damnit Nappa

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWSh53XbOxA

watch the gently caress out Jiren...

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

fighterz is getting ginyu & nappa now too

http://gematsu.com/2017/10/dragon-ball-fighterz-launches-february-1-japan-adds-nappa-captain-ginyu

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Cell had all of their techniques, so he probably knew Piccolos anti-mafuba already. Something tells me that trapping Buu in a jar isn't going to work.
But mostly, this is a fightmans manga about punchmans, so a fight isn't going to end on some magic trick.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Having the Ginyu Force as strikers was all I needed to hear. New GOTY.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Burkion posted:

I'm also PRETTY sure they forgot about it

Though yeah, with Freeza, they never had the materials needed.

With Cell, he'd know how to counter it.

Buu would likely just scream his way out

This basically. Buu has been alive since time immemorial, and unlike the people who go through mafuba and are highly traumatized, Buu would probably just be like ":D NOPE!"

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

quote:

New playable characters Nappa and Captain Ginyu are also revealed. Nappa can summon Saibamen and use the Meteor special attack “Kappa!” Captain Ginyu has a technique that summons The Ginyu Force, and can use the Meteor special attack “Body Change” to switch characters and HP with his opponent..You can also deepen your bonds with characters. If your bonds are deep enough, you will be able to hear private conversations, such as Yamcha saying, “I want to get married!” or Vegeta saying, “Bulma has a nasty personality…”

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Wuxi posted:

Cell had all of their techniques, so he probably knew Piccolos anti-mafuba already. Something tells me that trapping Buu in a jar isn't going to work.
But mostly, this is a fightmans manga about punchmans, so a fight isn't going to end on some magic trick.

Buu is magic, so it wouldn’t work. Because magic.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Also, uh, using it successfully kills you.

So there's that noggin'.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Mordaedil posted:

So there's that noggin'.

No, it doesn't

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Mordaedil posted:

So there's that noggin'.

It *can* kill you, but it doesn't necessarily. It takes a lot out of you, at least, which is why it's a bad idea to use it if there's a chance you could gently caress it up. Goku.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Black August posted:

Using the Mafuba on Buu seems like a tremendously bad idea, and I can't articulate why

the fact he could learn a technique just by witnessing it once is a good reason.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Mordaedil posted:

So there's that noggin'.

Roshi used it like 4 times in the span of 5 minutes and he's fine.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

that possible movie people were talking about, I bet it's a movie adaptation of the Goku Black arc.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

mabels big day posted:

that possible movie people were talking about, I bet it's a movie adaptation of the Goku Black arc.

While Dragon Ball Super being an infinite ouroboros of movie and tv versions of events is amusing on paper, this would be pretty disappointing.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

deadly_pudding posted:

While Dragon Ball Super being an infinite ouroboros of movie and tv versions of events is amusing on paper, this would be pretty disappointing.

I remember after the Goku Black arc aired, someone mentioned that the structure and pacing felt like a stretched out movie, like they had planned on it as the third movie but Super caught up to that content before they actually made it. In the movie, they will play mario kart at the beginning, they'll only go back and forth in time like once or twice instead of however many times in the anime they did. There won't be any plot about the evil containment wave, it will just feature Goku and Vegeta fusing, and the spirit bomb sword from Trunks. And of course, they'll still keep the Zeno universe reset. No Yajirobe either.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

mabels big day posted:

No Yajirobe either.

why do you want to ruin it

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

This game is going to be so good

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

CharlestonJew posted:

Roshi used it like 4 times in the span of 5 minutes and he's fine.

I mean, that is what the situation was prior to Super. I dunno if they forgot or if they just surpassed it being capable of killing them, but it's certainly plausible reason enough for them to not use it for so long.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mordaedil posted:

I mean, that is what the situation was prior to Super. I dunno if they forgot or if they just surpassed it being capable of killing them, but it's certainly plausible reason enough for them to not use it for so long.

That was not the case prior to super. Kami used it on Piccolo explicitly intending to capture him without comitting suicide. It's the first time the Reverse Wave is used

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
It's probably just a case of "this move takes a shitload of energy to use", so if you're not that powerful it just loving kills you but if you're powerful enough it simply tires you the gently caress out.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

In other games, Xenoverse 2 announced yet another DLC Pack, this time with Android 13 and Tapion as playable characters, Ribrianne and Pride Trooper outfits (the latter includes Toppo's moustache), and most interestingly, a whole new game mode where you control pieces based on the characters in a board.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

That was not the case prior to super. Kami used it on Piccolo explicitly intending to capture him without comitting suicide. It's the first time the Reverse Wave is used

It is difficult to know if he would have died at the end, but in that case, I guess Kami actually invented a better version of the mafuba?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mordaedil posted:

It is difficult to know if he would have died at the end, but in that case, I guess Kami actually invented a better version of the mafuba?

He wouldn't have. Kami explicitly says the used this technique because if he killed Piccolo he'd die too and it was a way to get around it.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It has been a long rear end time since I watched it, but didn't Tien use it and not die vs King Piccolo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
wait how the HFIL did Kami even know the Mafuba