Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
That entire pan story was basically cringe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Manatee Cannon posted:

I guess the idea of the heroine saving herself never occurred to this guy

Of course not! Didn't you read what he said? Women being useless damsels in distress is the fundamental basis of all storytelling!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Burkion posted:

I'm also PRETTY sure they forgot about it

Though yeah, with Freeza, they never had the materials needed.

With Cell, he'd know how to counter it.

Buu would likely just scream his way out

On Namek Piccilo could have used Clothes Beam to make a suitable container, then mafuba Freeza.

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Oct 19, 2017

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Blockhouse posted:

Of course not! Didn't you read what he said? Women being useless damsels in distress is the fundamental basis of all storytelling!

Also, her becoming a Super Saiyan and becoming actually strong is forever impossible because she got turned into a doll once.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Blockhouse posted:

hahaha what a sack of poo poo

it's also a really lovely approach to writing, keep this guy away from Super please

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
At one point he says "well we thought it'd be cool if we brought in some crazy villains with personality".

Which would be cool, too bad you didn't do that.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
What are you talking about, General Rildo (I think that was his name) was brimming with personality, like that time he gave Giru a medal.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Super's 17 versus Super 17 when

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
DBZ villian motivations were pretty good:

Radditz: younger brother Kakarot is being a dick for not doing his job, I'll beat him up
OG Vegeta: hey these dragon balls sound cool, I'll wish for immortality so I can beat the tyrant who killed my dad, also gently caress you Kakarot
Freeza: universe domination, may as well be immortal while I'm at it
Dr. Gero: gently caress you Goku for killing my red ribbon army, here's a bunch of androids stronger than you that are programmed to hate Goku
Cell: desire to become perfect, also gently caress you Goku
Babidi: gently caress you supreme kai for what you did!
Buu: a literal insane monster with the mental aptitude of a child, not much more to it

I suppose all of it stems from a hatred of Goku...

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Goku's been the villain all along..

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

"A terrible writer" posted:

Midway through the story, enemy characters like Doctor Mu, General Rild, and Baby started popping up, giving a stronger battle tint to the story.
Initially we made about 26 episodes worth of rough plot outlines. But around when the final script for episode 3 was finished, we thought “these travel episodes aren’t going to be interesting no matter how long we keep doing them, are they?” and so we stopped (laughs). That’s why Gill and the spaceship stopped appearing midway through, even though we had sensei go through all the trouble of drawing them for us (laughs).

loving lol they just gave up on the entire concept right away. Between this and the Pan quotes how could you ever defend GT?

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Just straight up "whenever Goku isn't on screen, other characters should be wondering where Goku is."

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

HitTheTargets posted:

Just straight up "whenever Goku isn't on screen, other characters should be wondering where Goku is."

Like we thought we were being funny by exaggerating joking but it's literally where's Poochie.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

I guess the idea of the heroine saving herself never occurred to this guy

that would make people feel insecure

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Stairmaster posted:

that would make people feel insecure

And aroused.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Barudak posted:

And aroused.

Pan was how old in GT??

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

seiferguy posted:

Pan was how old in GT??

10, but the series sure didn't want you to think about that little detail.

Cran
Mar 23, 2011
I always kind of looked at GT with cockeyed amusement. Feel a bit dutybound to view it with hideous disdain, now.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

the final arc of GT with the shadow dragons is kinda cool plotwise. I like the idea of the supernatural dragonballs generating negative karma when goku and pals abuse them to solve all their problems. you can only revive krillin so many times before the universe starts to get annoyed

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
GT in general had some pretty good ideas (a universe-spanning journey, someone wanting to get revenge on the Saiyans, the Shadow Dragons), but after reading that interview I can be sure they were entirely by accident.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Calibanibal posted:

the final arc of GT with the shadow dragons is kinda cool plotwise. I like the idea of the supernatural dragonballs generating negative karma when goku and pals abuse them to solve all their problems. you can only revive krillin so many times before the universe starts to get annoyed

Yeah but then they blow it by giving almost all of them terrible designs and have their evil plot be "stand around in an empty space waiting for Goku to show up and beat them."

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
One of the more amusing worries they had was them not fathoming how to escalate DB after Buu.

Remember when Kid Buu was considered a terror

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Outside of Vegeta having a mustache, I have no knowledge of GT and I have never, ever watched Dragonball GT, and it looks like that was a good idea

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Fargin Icehole posted:

Outside of Vegeta having a mustache, I have no knowledge of GT and I have never, ever watched Dragonball GT, and it looks like that was a good idea
I watched the first four episodes before American had even made it to Buu because my cousin was a tape trader back in the day and that's the only four episodes I've ever watched :v:

I have some passing knowledge of the show but I see things like "Super Baby" and "Baby Vegeta" and it just looks really silly.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

RealFoxy posted:

I watched the first four episodes before American had even made it to Buu because my cousin was a tape trader back in the day and that's the only four episodes I've ever watched :v:

I have some passing knowledge of the show but I see things like "Super Baby" and "Baby Vegeta" and it just looks really silly.

"Hey, this guy is like a clone of the king of the tuffles, the race the Saiyans wiped out, and with a bunch of extra abilities and poo poo. What should he be named?"

"He starts as a baby slime ooze thingy right? ... I GOT IT!"

"No sir, 'Dragon Quest Slime' will not pass the lawyers."

"...Ok, so, my SECOND choice is..."

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I read some old fan site about it like half a lifetime ago and caught up on most of what happened in GT

Somehow the information has loving refused to leave me

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

outside of the first few episodes, nearly all of my knowledge about gt comes from fansites I read over a decade ago

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I started watching GT the day the first Super episode aired in Japan.

I still haven't finished it. It's interesting to compare GT and Super's differences and think about how their approaches to being a DBZ sequel is different but man GT is such a slog.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I wish I could say the same as all of you but sadly I watched the entirety of GT, from beginning to end.

It was not worth it. Really good songs though. Dan Dan Kokoro Hikareteku, especially the Latin American version Mi Corazón Encantado, is a top-tier opening for a bottom-tier series.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I've tried several times to watch GT from the start and quit at ep 3 everytime, skip to Baby and get bored. Likewise fansites and magazines from the 90s is all I know about GT.

People actually defend GT and think it's better than Super, mostly kids who grew up watching it in the 2000s.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I never knew of Super 17 existence until reading this thread.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Blaze Dragon posted:

I wish I could say the same as all of you but sadly I watched the entirety of GT, from beginning to end.

It was not worth it. Really good songs though. Dan Dan Kokoro Hikareteku, especially the Latin American version Mi Corazón Encantado, is a top-tier opening for a bottom-tier series.

This is the ONE song I had from the show, downloaded like in the late 90s when the internet was heating up proper, so I had one that was faint, grainy, and burned to disc immediately

EDIT: oh poo poo that's a lie, I found out that one other song is the Goku SSj4 theme, no idea where why I got it besides guessing sibling involvement (sister was loving MADNESS into Digimon)

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Upon seeing Pan be a child prodigy in Super (she's an infant and she can loving fly with an aura around her), I really want to see her developed into a cool character. The first 4 episodes of GT that I watched showed her to be interesting but upon reading that review, it looks like the rest is bad.

The fact that a shonen anime / manga has a lead character in his 40s is crazy to me. Even Kishimoto was like "poo poo Naruto is old now, better make Bort the lead."

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

seiferguy posted:

Upon seeing Pan be a child prodigy in Super (she's an infant and she can loving fly with an aura around her), I really want to see her developed into a cool character. The first 4 episodes of GT that I watched showed her to be interesting but upon reading that review, it looks like the rest is bad.

The fact that a shonen anime / manga has a lead character in his 40s is crazy to me. Even Kishimoto was like "poo poo Naruto is old now, better make Bort the lead."
Local Grandfather Enters Martial Arts Tournament

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the whole "saiyans look 20 until they're over 80" thing goes a long way I guess

but yea goku literally being a grandpa is so far outside of the norm for shonen that it kinda boggles the mind to think about it

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Ok hear me out here

They are like 75% setting up, at last

a post-Goku Dragon Ball The Next Generation where he is literally a God or whatever end occurs I can think of 40, you got Hey Its Trunks, Pan, Bulla, Goten?, the Pilafs, uh poo poo who else but you get it

and the making GBS threads on GT GOES ON FOR YEARS

EDIT: Goku is a grandpa and his VA is a post-grandma, for God's sake let the Tournament be the penultimate arc, and then end it powerful, let her retire and record a couple hundred whatever lines/scenes/gamestuff for a starter to something new and never have to Kaioken again

Black August fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Oct 19, 2017

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
She does Luffy's voice and over 10 years into One Piece the creator says it's like, half-way finished. She's got at least another 8+ to go

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

oh god she's going to die doing this :C

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

Black August posted:

Ok hear me out here

They are like 75% setting up, at last

a post-Goku Dragon Ball The Next Generation where he is literally a God or whatever end occurs I can think of 40, you got Hey Its Trunks, Pan, Bulla, Goten?, the Pilafs, uh poo poo who else but you get it

and the making GBS threads on GT GOES ON FOR YEARS

EDIT: Goku is a grandpa and his VA is a post-grandma, for God's sake let the Tournament be the penultimate arc, and then end it powerful, let her retire and record a couple hundred whatever lines/scenes/gamestuff for a starter to something new and never have to Kaioken again

sometimes while watching I forget that the screaming sweaty man on the screen is literally an 80 year old grandmother

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

RealFoxy posted:

She does Luffy's voice and over 10 years into One Piece the creator says it's like, half-way finished. She's got at least another 8+ to go

luffy's voice actor is krillin, not goku