Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
We wouldn't want the Russians to get nuclear weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
KickerOfMice had a good post about this in the Trump thread, which I'm crossposting here:

KickerOfMice posted:

The line that everyone is mostly running with in this story is "Hillary Clinton gave away 20% of the United State's uranium to Russia," in a shady backroom, possibly treasonous deal.

Allow me to quickly explain why this is a steaming mound of utter bullshit.

This uranium deal is was an arrangement for Rostatom, a Russian nuclear energy company with vaguely defined goals (This company in 2009 was under investigation by Robert Mueller for corruption.)Rostatom wanted to purchase Uranium One, a Canadian mining firm with licenses to mine American-owned uranium deposits in Kazakhstan.
When the validity of the mining licenses was at issue, $8.65M of donations were made to the Clinton Foundation while this purchase was being hammered out. These donations were from the chairman of Uranium One (CAN), not Rostatom (RUS). The Obama administration gave it the green light, it's not like there was some cloak & dagger secrecy where 'Obama had some arcane knowledge.

Today's NukeChat has been brought to you by, you guessed it-

Reading
the
loving
news.

links are from Newsweek, TheHill, NYT, and the last is a Snopes fact check which gets into the real nitty-gritty.

:sax:

So basically it sounds like a combination of this odd merger and that old chestnut of how we just handed Uranium to the Russians...by which is meant we handed Uranium confiscated from the Georgians over as evidence to the Russians for forensic testing. Also because the Clinton Foundation comes up naturally this must be an amazing "follow the money" trail of giving up a large portion of our uranium to the Russians who I guess are bad now to the Right because Hillary did a thing (even though she didn't)?

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Oct 20, 2017

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Anecdotally confirmed that the Kelly narrative has taken hold and that this whole thing is the media pick on Donald again. At least if overhearing conversations at work is proof.

Again though, none of it explains why Trump adamantly denied saying what he did when the entire explanation and the reason we should all hand wave it away now depends on a tacit admission that Trump said exactly what he was reported as saying.

I don't even have a huge problem with it overall beyond Trump saying the senator and the widow lied when, in order to accept the explanation, we have to agree that it was Trump who lied.

AV Club has a story up about Trump owning an original Renoir. Trouble is, the original is in Chicago in a museum. Oddly, Rush and Sean have been silent on this.

https://www.avclub.com/well-yes-obviously-donald-trump-lies-about-his-art-co-1819696419

I mean that's just textbook "my uncle works at Nintendo" poo poo. Dirk Diggler explaining his Italian custom print silk shirt. But nope. Everything is a media lefty witch hunt and once again the true victim is Donald J. Trump himself.

Someone should take some of Trump's quotes and photoshop them into Obama tweets. See what the uproar might be like.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

My wife teaches English and is really good at reading the subtext. She literally laughed she she heard Kelly's announcement, because she said it boiled down to "Trump is stupid, didn't understand what I said and couldn't be bothered to even try to be clear."

MrUnderbridge fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Oct 20, 2017

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

MrUnderbridge posted:

My wife teaches English and is really good at reading the subtext. She literally laughed she she heard Kelly's announcement, because she said it boiled down to "Trump is stupid, didn't understand what I said and couldn't be bothered to even try to be clear."

That and he never said it and the senator and the widow lied

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I feel like they need to start putting a recommended emotion next to each prompt on Trump's cue card. Kind of like the Elcor from Mass Effect.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Consider that since post-PhoneCallGate, nothing from the White House (tweet/Press conference/whatever) has even remotely resembled:

We’d like to apologize to Mr. Johnson’s wife, children, and family. It was never our intention to make them feel like we don’t have the utmost respect for his service/sacrifice and that we don’t share in their sorrow for his loss. Again, we sincerely apologize.

I mean, that would be a baseline response no matter what.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Consider that since post-PhoneCallGate, nothing from the White House (tweet/Press conference/whatever) has even remotely resembled:

We’d like to apologize to Mr. Johnson’s wife, children, and family. It was never our intention to make them feel like we don’t have the utmost respect for his service/sacrifice and that we don’t share in their sorrow for his loss. Again, we sincerely apologize.

That's not how this works.

"I never said that. Fake news. Liberal media. Liars."

"Now here's the explanation for the thing I never said".

"I am beyond outraged at this liberal witch hunt."

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Other than lying about what he said to one of the widows, I don't think he's publicly acknowledged that American soldiers were even in Niger, let alone were ambushed by ISIS and killed. His office didn't even forward an official statement about it to the press, someone had to leak that. All this PhoneCallGate bullshit started as his non-answer to the reporter who finally asked him, 2 weeks after they died, "Why haven't we heard anything from you so far about the soldiers that were killed in Niger, and what do you have to say about that?"

Not even a "Melania and I send our hearts and prayers to the families of..."

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
DEBT IS BAD DEBT IS BAD DEBT IS BAD DEBT IS BAD DEBT IS BAD DEBT IS BAD DEBT IS B- oh we're in power now. Eh gently caress it, someone else's problem.

EMAILS EMAILS EMAILS EMAILS EMAILS EMAILS EMAILS EMAILS EMAILS EMAILS EMAILS EM- it's different when Kushner does it.

BENGHAZI BENGHAZI BENGHAZI BENGHAZI BENGHAZI BENGHAZI BENGHAZI BENGHAZI BENGH- you're terrible for politicizing these tragic soldier deaths.

gently caress me sideways, the hypocrisy is just unfathomable.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Vargatron posted:

I feel like they need to start putting a recommended emotion next to each prompt on Trump's cue card. Kind of like the Elcor from Mass Effect.

He’d find a way to gently caress it up because his toddler brain can’t properly associate words with emotions. Either that or he’d do Blasto style ad libs.

“Badassfully: Ma’am, you have my deepest condolences on the loss of your son.”

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

MrUnderbridge posted:

I busted out laughing when he said the first thing he told Trump was he shouldn't do it.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Rush was having a real hard time today trying to explain why W was bad for saying Trump supporters are hateful bigots, but also that W is a fine man who is one of the greatest Americans ever.

On another note, Buck Sexton tonight was saying that it was absolutely disgusting how liberals are politicizing the deaths of the four soldiers in Niger, and you wouldn't believe the insane conspiracy theories they're coming up with to make it into Trump's Benghazi.

There is no ironicat big enough.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
You know what's funny? It likely will become Trump's Benghazi because Trump and crew won't let it drop when the country doesn't apologize to them properly enough.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
It can't become Benghazi until someone in government create a committee to investigate it, waste resources having multiple hearings to no avail, and finally have the head honcho responsible (Hillary Clinton) answer like 11 hours of questions.

Also, is Trump's response about not yet calling the families the first time reporters asked about the Niger situation? Like, weeks after the event? What takes so long, the other Trump controversies?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
What you need to understand is

Despite the passing of time

SA remains the womb of memes

If a goon didn't die then it's not a real scandal

tia

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

toanoradian posted:

Also, is Trump's response about not yet calling the families the first time reporters asked about the Niger situation? Like, weeks after the event? What takes so long, the other Trump controversies?

The media is a toothless crocodile that is terrified of actually getting bloody. It acts like it can continue to try and reach out and convince people deep in the RWM bubble that they aren't the boogieman.

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

Crabtree posted:

You know what's funny? It likely will become Trump's Benghazi because Trump and crew won't let it drop when the country doesn't apologize to them properly enough.
If you give them the benefit of any doubt, they must already know it will likely be his Benghazi. It's the only option I can imagine for why none of his staff took the opportunity to use an ISIS ambush to justify some kind of Muslim paranoia 2 weeks ago when we were talking about guns.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Shbobdb posted:

What you need to understand is

Despite the passing of time

SA remains the womb of memes

If a goon didn't die then it's not a real scandal

tia

The gently caress is this poo poo?

PJOmega posted:

The media is a toothless crocodile that is terrified of actually getting bloody. It acts like it can continue to try and reach out and convince people deep in the RWM bubble that they aren't the boogieman.

A huge part of this is because there's no real money to be made in journalism unless you're willing to sell your soul and shill for the corporate right.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

BiggerBoat posted:

The gently caress is this poo poo?

It means the soldiers that died in Nambia matter less than those who died in Benghazi.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Shbobdb posted:

It means the soldiers that died in Nambia matter less than those who died in Benghazi.

benghazi didn't become a big deal with the right wing media or anyone else because of Vilerat

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

GreyjoyBastard posted:

benghazi didn't become a big deal with the right wing media or anyone else because of Vilerat

Ask Vilerat's mom on her next FoxNews appearance.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

GreyjoyBastard posted:

well, glenn beck thought goonfleet was a cia front but other than that

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Shbobdb posted:

Ask Vilerat's mom on her next FoxNews appearance.

A) go gently caress yourself and
B) she got dragged into it because the right wing media had already glommed onto the Benghazi attack as a way to try to hurt Obama and Hillary

which is, coincidentally, why the Niger ambush isn't getting the same kind of play

the gibbering neanderthals are on Trump's side and the left needs some actual proper meat before it can bestir itself from nuance and reasoned thinking

MSNBC doesn't look at "soldiers died in Niger" and go "ooh, let's start making up bullshit to make Trump look bad!"

(On the plus side, Trump managed to make an unforced error in the response that is getting play. :toot: )

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
So . . . what you are saying is that we need to be more ghoulish if we want to win?

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Please stop this. Please.

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???

GreyjoyBastard posted:

MSNBC doesn't look at "soldiers died in Niger" and go "ooh, let's start making up bullshit to make Trump look bad!"

Rachel Maddow, on their flagship primetime television program, did precisely this just two nights ago.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

try the new taco place posted:

Rachel Maddow, on their flagship primetime television program, did precisely this just two nights ago.

What's her conspiracy theory

I was watching this video and she mentioned that last night (presumably the two nights you mentioned) that one of the reasons Trump didn't say anything on Niger is because the attacks may have been carried by an ISIS-linked group and that doesn't fit Trump's messaging of him defeating ISIS. Also something about Chad being in the travel ban yet being one of the frontline fighters against Islamic terrorism.

Is this what you mean?

toanoradian fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Oct 21, 2017

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???
Ya

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/10/20/what-really-happened-niger-troops-killed-244008

https://twitter.com/texasinafrica/status/921205014483427328

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
It is indeed confusing why a Chad removing their forces from the Niger/Chad border could lead to an ambush on the Niger/Mali border within a week.

There is nothing on your linked Politico article or tweet thread about Trump not talking about Niger because the attack was possibly linked to ISIS and Trump doesn't want people to know that, but I suppose it is impossible to know why Trump didn't do something.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

So FOX News had a pro Trump Vietnam vet Navy Seal on for an interview. Except he was none of those things:

https://www.avclub.com/pro-trump-navy-seal-featured-on-fox-news-turns-out-to-1819726470

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

BiggerBoat posted:

So FOX News had a pro Trump Vietnam vet Navy Seal on for an interview. Except he was none of those things:

https://www.avclub.com/pro-trump-navy-seal-featured-on-fox-news-turns-out-to-1819726470

Not that it makes a big difference to his cultists who quickly move on from anything they can't deny about Dear Leader by jumping onto the TROOTH of that dastardly uranium deal.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Shbobdb posted:

So . . . what you are saying is that we need to be more ghoulish if we want to win?

It sure is an option! :v:

I like to think that we can win without being ghoulish, I think the ultimate impact of years of screaming about Benghazi was little more than adding a bit to the general miasma they'd been building up around Clinton anyway. Which, you know, in turn mattered a bit, but not enough to make this a worthwhile hill to poo poo all over.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

BiggerBoat posted:

But CNN and MSNBC are the fake news.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

bird food bathtub posted:

BENGHAZI BENGHAZI BENGHAZI BENGHAZI BENGHAZI BENGHAZI BENGHAZI BENGHAZI BENGH- you're terrible for politicizing these tragic soldier deaths.

gently caress me sideways, the hypocrisy is just unfathomable.
Yeah watching the same people who still constantly screech about Benghazi saying “why can’t we just move on” is insane.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
This entire Russian uranium thing reads to me, based on The Hill's reporting, like the FBI and the DoJ are the ones at fault for not alerting CFIUS that there were corruption allegations under investigation. And, I guess, the fact that Mueller and Comey were involved in the Rosatom investigation and then went on to involvement in the Trump-Russia investigation is a thing. But how does any of this prove Hillary Clinton purposefully colluded with Russian officials to transfer control of uranium assets in exchange for donations to the Clinton Foundation?

Like, I'm trying to approach this with an open mind.

The Snopes article linked above notes that the donations from Ian Telfer were not properly disclosed and the timing was suspicious but, again, it didn't seem like Hillary Clinton was even directly involved in the approval of the deal and was, again, only one of nine government officials sitting on this body that approved it who were, again, not told by the FBI or the DoJ that anything was amiss.

Is there something I'm missing?

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
I don't think you're missing anything there. The conspirosphere has attached Mueller to Clinton through the Russian election influence investigation, and Comey to Clinton for her emails. The fact that they are also tangently related to the uranium thing just serves as a way to drag them both in. Mueller is clearly protecting everyone else for some reason, as that's the only logical reason why no progress on investigating their made up events is being made.

Remember, conspiracy theory often comes from people seeing connections between events & people that don't actually exist. This type of thing feeds directly into that kind of thinking. Right wing media has groomed their consumers to prepare for and understand this bullshit for decades now, so it's no wonder that it's spreading like wildfire.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

it doesn't have to be true, it just has to fit and reinforce the narrative

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I have my (soon to be former) best friend I’m dealing with about guns again. He voted for Clinton, but is very anti liberals these days. And most importantly, he’s very pro gun.

His girlfriend (who’s he’s moving in with in California) is from Vegas. Has friends of friends at the concert, (no one was hurt). Needless to say, The day after the attack, I asked him how she was handling it. He hadn’t checked in with her that evening yet, and it spirals into a fun debate chat. He goes off about how “now isn’t the time to debate this” and how gun control wouldn’t have stopped the attack.

The point he always sticks to is that guns protect women from those dangerous attackers, that’s why concealed carry is so important. When I point out that it doesn’t actually make women safer, or the fAct that the evil gently caress who shot up Vegas was using legal guns, he goes silent. Like literally shuts his mouth and glares at me.

Any thread suggestions on talking to him about it or is it a total lost cause? He’s moving away thank god, but I’ve got a few weeks left to try to sway him towards rational thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

LionArcher posted:

I have my (soon to be former) best friend I’m dealing with about guns again. He voted for Clinton, but is very anti liberals these days. And most importantly, he’s very pro gun.

His girlfriend (who’s he’s moving in with in California) is from Vegas. Has friends of friends at the concert, (no one was hurt). Needless to say, The day after the attack, I asked him how she was handling it. He hadn’t checked in with her that evening yet, and it spirals into a fun debate chat. He goes off about how “now isn’t the time to debate this” and how gun control wouldn’t have stopped the attack.

The point he always sticks to is that guns protect women from those dangerous attackers, that’s why concealed carry is so important. When I point out that it doesn’t actually make women safer, or the fAct that the evil gently caress who shot up Vegas was using legal guns, he goes silent. Like literally shuts his mouth and glares at me.

Any thread suggestions on talking to him about it or is it a total lost cause? He’s moving away thank god, but I’ve got a few weeks left to try to sway him towards rational thought.

Don't bother.