Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

7c Nickel posted:

I like yuri because the power dynamic tends to be much flatter than most het romance manga which I find to be kind of offputting. Also cute girls are cute.
Me too. :)

Vesi posted:

the het dynamics have gotten better recently too with mangas like Slow Motion and High Score Girl
That's good. I've tried to read some old romance manga and been so creeped out by several that I couldn't finish them. And I don't think it was intended.

Also:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

I dunno, it feels fine to me? Like they have over the past few chapters wrapped up a lot Manaka's social stuff pretty decisively.

I probably would like to see maybe a couple of more chapters of Manaka hanging out with her tourney friends but whatever.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

7c Nickel posted:

I like yuri because the power dynamic tends to be much flatter than most het romance manga which I find to be kind of offputting. Also cute girls are cute.

Yeah the more even power dynamic is a big part of it for me, too.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I just think it's cute also I wish I was a cute girl

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

It's enough to be a cute girl at heart.

Look at a picture to feel better. (I really wish there was more yuri anime to watch)

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Man after that last one there totally needs to be more otakus in love chapters, preferably with more focus on the best couple.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Poil posted:

I really wish there was more yuri anime to watch
:same:
Wife and Wife anime when???

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Kase-san is getting something more than that music video apparently and there's always the ever looming threat of the Citrus anime....

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

the ever looming threat of the Citrus anime....

This doesn't help. :colbert:

Kase-san is getting an OVA next year, which is nice.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hina Logic from last season was pretty cute and as close as I've seen a yuribait show go to dropping the 'bait' part.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I actually reread Citrus a few days ago, it was both worse and also somehow a little better than I remembered.

Speaking of anime, anything love filled worth watching this season? :v:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Poil posted:

I actually reread Citrus a few days ago, it was both worse and also somehow a little better than I remembered.

Speaking of anime, anything love filled worth watching this season? :v:

MMO junkie seems like a possible bet for that.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Only two episodes in but MMO Junkie is shaping up to be a cute romance so far

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

It's totally :3:, thanks for recommending it.

I don't really care for Lily's voice, it's too... far up in the throat. It's almost like she's slowly getting out of breath and I get uncomfortably exhausted just by hearing her talk. It's not as bad as the main character in Kimi ni Todoke though (I normally like the VA who does her voice in that show but it's not pleasant to listen to at all in that particular series).

Poil fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Oct 19, 2017

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Poil posted:

It's enough to be a cute girl at heart.

Look at a picture to feel better. (I really wish there was more yuri anime to watch)

what's this from?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Gluten Freeman posted:

what's this from?
Hate to disappoint but it's from the endings of fourth season of Marimite, specifically this bit. I've been tempted to attempt to somehow crop and resize that into an avatar but haven't gotten around to learning how to.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Insurrectionist posted:

Interesting that the favorite works section is about 90% manga, 9% anime and a single VN, and said VN ranked highest for non-straight women.

Also that Flip Flappers only ranked for the men, but not for the non-straight women. I'd probably have guessed the opposite

But I was most surprised that Symphogear ranked for non-straight dudes and not for any other group

Meanwhile, YKA only showed up in the rankings for gay women and non-binary folks.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Poil posted:

It's totally :3:, thanks for recommending it.

I don't really care for Lily's voice, it's too... far up in the throat. It's almost like she's slowly getting out of breath and I get uncomfortably exhausted just by hearing her talk. It's not as bad as the main character in Kimi ni Todoke though (I normally like the VA who does her voice in that show but it's not pleasant to listen to at all in that particular series).

Well, she is a somewhat over-the-top character played by someone else.

Would be funny if Hayashi had a similarly exaggerated voice, though.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
the NTR anime came out last season right? I might could be down to watch that if they spiced it up a bit compared to the manga

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I wouldn't bother it manages to be both boring and mean spirited at the same time.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
The Duke Of Death And His Black Maid seems interesting, it's pretty early (only 4 chapters translated so far). A young man cursed with a fatal touch and his only maid who delights in getting very close to him and teasing him. It could easily get repetitive if each chapter is just the Duke reacting to being teased (while also pining for a closer relationship that he physically can't have), but so far it's not bad.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

For those who wanted yuri anime Konohana Kitan started this season and is based on a manga that ran in Yuri Hime. The first three episodes were pretty good if you don't mind the occasional hot springs scene.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The latest Kaguya felt like something out of Hinamatsuri with how absurd and so-serious-it's-funny it took some of the scenes.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I just noticed Kaguya touching her cheek on the last page :3:

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Tarezax posted:

I just noticed Kaguya touching her cheek on the last page :3:

How cute.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

They say the temperature of the earth rose a few degrees that day.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Komi-san has been an absolute delight to read

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Komi-san is adorable when it's just Tadano, Komi, and a couple of friends. I wish it didn't have the bad, one-note Yandere character or the Chuuni. :(

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I wish it wasn't vaguely transphobic.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Nate RFB posted:

I wish it wasn't vaguely transphobic.

gimme the drama on it

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

DisDisDis posted:

gimme the drama on it

The childhood friend (Najimi) was AMAB and wears women's clothes, the MC (Tadano) exclusively refers to them with male pronouns and thinks they're doing it for attention because they're ~eccentric~, and AFAIR no one else ever comments on Najimi's choice of clothes (except to compliment them sometimes).

I guess it's vaguely transphobic in the sense that it doesn't actually engage with gender issues. Najimi is biologically male and wears women's clothes and it's occasionally used for a gag (like Najimi trying to use the women's changing rooms and Tadano going "no you don't") but not in a way that comes across as mean-spirited, the manga doesn't try to deal with gender issues either way, and Najimi's sexuality or gender identity aren't things that are ever discussed.

It's hard to tell how much of the pronoun stuff is the original manga and how much is the TL, and I've not seen any author's notes discussing Najimi either.

e; honestly, my reading is more that Najimi is just a guy who crossdresses and this is something that no one in the manga ever has any issues with this except for Tadano having pronoun confusion.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Oct 24, 2017

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Hmmm, guess I'm gonna read this manga now. Changing room gag sounds lame but I'll wait and see.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Lemon-Lime posted:

The childhood friend (Najimi) was AMAB and wears women's clothes, the MC (Tadano) exclusively refers to them with male pronouns and thinks they're doing it for attention because they're ~eccentric~, and AFAIR no one else ever comments on Najimi's choice of clothes (except to compliment them sometimes).

I guess it's vaguely transphobic in the sense that it doesn't actually engage with gender issues. Najimi is biologically male and wears women's clothes and it's occasionally used for a gag (like Najimi trying to use the women's changing rooms and Tadano going "no you don't") but not in a way that comes across as mean-spirited, the manga doesn't try to deal with gender issues either way, and Najimi's sexuality or gender identity aren't things that are ever discussed.

It's hard to tell how much of the pronoun stuff is the original manga and how much is the TL, and I've not seen any author's notes discussing Najimi either.

e; honestly, my reading is more that Najimi is just a guy who crossdresses and this is something that no one in the manga ever has any issues with this except for Tadano having pronoun confusion.
Najimi's biological gender is ~ambiguous~ and I don't think the manga even establishes with absolute certainty that what they are currently doing is an actual "switch" of some nature. The important thing to me is that Najimi very clearly wants to be seen as female in the present and Tadano is very antagonistic towards this. It's done for "laughs" but I think in a way that's almost worse.

I do read and enjoy Komi-san regardless of this because it is very cute/uplifting in most other respects.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

At one point the MC uses "he/she/it" when referring to Najimi which is eeeeeh

I suppose that one could be the translators fault though?

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

On the other hand, she's a trans(ish?) character who gets to be one of the main 3 characters and the funniest part of the strip without her gender identity being one of her main character traits. It's not her 'thing' and she gets to do other stuff.

Am I that hard up for representation, why yes thank you for asking.

Explosions fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Oct 24, 2017

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Nihilarian posted:

At one point the MC uses "he/she/it" when referring to Najimi which is eeeeeh

I suppose that one could be the translators fault though?

Given the frequent jankiness of the translation for other things, I'm willing to pin this one on that. Najimi is cool and fun.

Lemon-Lime posted:

Komi-san is adorable when it's just Tadano, Komi, and a couple of friends. I wish it didn't have the bad, one-note Yandere character or the Chuuni. :(

The yandere I'll agree but don't speak badly of my precious chuuni friend.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Japanese doesn't usually use gendered pronouns except in the case of personal pronouns so that is highly likely to be a translator decision.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Najimi's school uniform is the boy's top and the girl's bottom. They are both a boy and a girl at the same time, as befits someone whose defining character trait is being a quantum superposition of literally everyone's childhood friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I relate to Najimi a lot, when's the spinoff series?