Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

RillAkBea posted:

That thing on the right just looks like Sandrock hit the protein powder a little too hard.

I'd go further to say about the only thing that ties the two together is the antenna antlers. If you put a different head on it, I doubt most people would be able to make the connection.

I agree on the waist, but theres actually a decent number of elements they share; the V belt capped by thrusters (?), the upwards curves shoulderpads, the chevron abdomen, the squared off tits, and the general arm shape are the big ones. I think what throws people off are the legs; they yave some shots where the legs are detached to mimic the unfinished Zeong, and the resemblance is much stronger there.

E:

Also the waist issue might be a case of a bad angle or chest pointed too far down to show off the LED's, since in the 3/4ths angle render he's much more shapely.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Oct 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Well, I finally got my Exia Repair Set in, and goddamn, plotting this out has me straight up taking notes in the margins on when to refer to what pages and steps later since the instructions for the various non-Exia Repair 2 states are kind of crammed into the back and just say what step you're doing something different with.

Right now my goal is Repair 3 with the damaged parts of Repair, and base Exia's shoulder and thigh ribbons.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Just skip all that and make a Repair 4: torso, head, cloak, all limbs replaced with melted sprue sheet sticks.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Bimmi posted:

The Ziegler is the biggest pile of overdesigned tryhard poo poo I've ever seen, but man does it look like it would be fun to build.

It's so loving garish and pointy while the Zeong is smooth and drab. It's not a good looking redesign.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

It's so loving garish and pointy while the Zeong is smooth and drab. It's not a good looking redesign.

It would be fine if it was just its own thing but as a Zeong it's awful.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Zeek Zeiggler, main character of the film Gunpla Nights.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I'm way into that overdesigned mess, personally.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Someone posted this on reddit I hope he just got a badly QC'd kit but that fit and finish is pretty horrid.

https://imgur.com/a/xjQt5

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Puddin posted:

Someone posted this on reddit I hope he just got a badly QC'd kit but that fit and finish is pretty horrid.

The more I see of this thing the more I hate it.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Has Mechanicore made plastic (i.e non-resin) kits before? I want to say that they had a limited edition plastic painted Kshatriya kit with similar issues but I could be thinking of another company.

Assuming his isn't a QC outlier, I'd probably wait for the resin run of the kit.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

They only do plastic, for the most part, they're doing plastic remolds of resin stuff from like g-system and sosuch.

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
I just finished the Cutecube Woundwort so I'm not in a rush to start another kit with awful fitting.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Goddamn but does the DM Exia have way more goddamn tiny little parts. Couple of cool things though like the silver stickers under the green areas and special cracked pieces for the little GN orb things.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Double post Exia update, sorry.

Gotta say, having this kit side by side with my MG Exia is weird. Some bits are more detailed where others are way less, and overall everything is smaller, and absolutely nothing is taken from the MG mold which is cool. So is offering the full set of armor in either regular or more washed out colors, that's a nice touch too. Except for the yellow for some reason, that's always neon.

I'm sure someone more :spergin: than I am about lineart and proportions might say that X is closer to Y, but I don't really care that much. It's a drat good kit though, almost identical to Bandai plastic.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Has anyone built a Super Minipla Megazord yet? I built mine yesterday and loved it. Except that the stickers refused to stick to it, so my mastodon has only one eye.

Might take a stab at a little hand painting on this thing. Already ordered a Dragonzord and preordered the Titanicus

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Where did you get it I want it.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

I got mine from big bag toy store but I haven't started it, just another on the backlog pile.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I successfully assembled the RG Zaku without losing a single pipe piece! I did, however, lose on e of the teeny little thrusters from the back of the leg

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Puddin posted:

I take back what I said about this looking like a fun build. loving disgraceful.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

mikeycp posted:

Where did you get it I want it.

Local HobbyTown. The owner has decided he wants to be the #1 Gunpla place in the southeast, and he's doing a great job. If anyone is ever in Atlanta, I highly recommend swinging by the Kennesaw HobbyTown.

The stickers really don't want to stick, lost that Mastodon eye and it bugs me. Used tweezers for all of them, and they just came out not sticking.

And now that I'm looking at the pictures up close, I see some places I want to go clean up a bit more.

It's kinda weird, it seemed like it was made of a completely different plastic than the Gundams I'm used to building. Instead of getting the white stress marks, it kinda looks like it marbles a bit? I kinda like it, to be honest.

EVGA Longoria fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Oct 23, 2017

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Sounds (and looks) like the higher-durability plastic you often see on Transformers; it's much harder to break (hence its use in transformers), but is harder to get fine detail into, which I suppose isn't a big deal for the Megazord.

Bimmi posted:

I take back what I said about this looking like a fun build. loving disgraceful.

According to the Reddit thread that was linked in, the issues are (so far, it is ofc a pretty loving big kit) limited to the head; apparently there were some last minute design changes that resulted in the head seeing remolding separate from the rest of the kits' production. I imagine the QC there was laxed to make sure every kit had the new head.

Still pretty embarassing for a super expensive hobby kit of course.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Oct 23, 2017

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

If it's worth killing it's worth overkilling.

EVGA Longoria posted:

Local HobbyTown. The owner has decided he wants to be the #1 Gunpla place in the southeast, and he's doing a great job. If anyone is ever in Atlanta, I highly recommend swinging by the Kennesaw HobbyTown.

The stickers really don't want to stick, lost that Mastodon eye and it bugs me. Used tweezers for all of them, and they just came out not sticking.

And now that I'm looking at the pictures up close, I see some places I want to go clean up a bit more.

It's kinda weird, it seemed like it was made of a completely different plastic than the Gundams I'm used to building. Instead of getting the white stress marks, it kinda looks like it marbles a bit? I kinda like it, to be honest.

I'm gonna be in Atlanta next week, I'll try to go there. Did they have more of those in stock and how much did they cost?

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I've seen other pics of the Ziegler floating around and the fit and finish look uniformly terrible.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

asterioth posted:

I'm gonna be in Atlanta next week, I'll try to go there. Did they have more of those in stock and how much did they cost?

They had probably 4 more in stock when I looked. They're on the Gunpla endcap. They were going for $60.

The actual Gundams are generally within a couple bucks of Amazon prices (in either direction, they're cheaper almost as often as they're more expensive).

Depending on what part of Atlanta you're in, it might be a bit of a trip since it's up in Kennesaw, but it's right off of 75 so it's not hard to find.

YamataNoOrochi
Oct 24, 2005

Neurolimal posted:

According to the Reddit thread that was linked in, the issues are (so far, it is ofc a pretty loving big kit) limited to the head; apparently there were some last minute design changes that resulted in the head seeing remolding separate from the rest of the kits' production. I imagine the QC there was laxed to make sure every kit had the new head.

If this is the case, and the head's the only hosed up part, it seems like they know about it. When my order shipped from SamuelDecal he mentioned:

quote:

A Free ZEONG Head 1/100 kit will free to you too, suppose finish in Nov,2017 and shipment will arrange again, thanks for support!

They did the same thing for the Deep Striker, not sure if that had similar issues w/ molding, but I have a spare head sitting in a box next to the kit itself's box, that showed up a month or so after the kit. I'll find out whenever I get around to building it I guess.

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
Ugh, just a roller coaster of reasons to either avoid the Ziegler or buy it. I'm very conflicted.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Bimmi posted:

I've seen other pics of the Ziegler floating around and the fit and finish look uniformly terrible.

It's pretty ballsy of them to charge 400 bucks for a kit of that quality.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

The shoulder ribbons on the DM exia aren't compatible with the R3 armor bits :negative:

I'm amazed at how much detail they managed to cram in here. It's leagues ahead of the MG on the detail front. There's no sliding panel or movable frame gimmicks like the MG but there's a lot of stuff done in plastic that the MG did in stickers or didn't even bother with.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
What 3rd party companies are good for 1/144th scale moulds? I stick with the smaller scale for convenience rather than ease of construction.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Arcsquad12 posted:

What 3rd party companies are good for 1/144th scale moulds? I stick with the smaller scale for convenience rather than ease of construction.

The only company that really made consistent 1/144 (and that was a LOOSE 1/144) scale kits was Model Comprehend, and they don't exist anymore. Pretty much every third-party stick with 1/100 scale now.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

That Gobbo posted:

Ugh, just a roller coaster of reasons to either avoid the Ziegler or buy it. I'm very conflicted.

BUY IT

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
How are the various 1/72 scale Bandai star wars kits? I'm nearly finished with my PG zaku and that cleans out my backlog, so was thinking about what's next.
Next thought was that PG falcon looks awesome but probably need to warm up to it

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

How are the various 1/72 scale Bandai star wars kits? I'm nearly finished with my PG zaku and that cleans out my backlog, so was thinking about what's next.
Next thought was that PG falcon looks awesome but probably need to warm up to it

I've built the First Order SF Tie, Tie Advanced, and Tie Interceptor and they've all been phenomenal. They pretty much fly together and look great out of box. Not a ton of gimmicks outside of included laser effects, small thematic stands, and some canopy options, but they deliver in the detail department to my perhaps untrained eye. I have some of the rebel ships in my backlog, which apparently have a lot more fiddly bits (imagine the all of that piping on the outside of the Y-Wing) and require judicious application of the included water slides (or decals, you get both which is nice) to really shine, but nothing that building normal gunpla wouldn't prepare you for, I'd wager. I also built a First Order Stormtrooper and it's what you'd expect out of a quality HG, with nice articulation.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

There's a pretty good pictorial rundown of the Falcon on this page. However, it was a limited run premium bandai only item and isn't on sale at the moment, so I hope you like paying out the rear end to resellers.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Star Wars models are generally good, with a few things to note. TIE models are probably too simple, since they come with the entire wings as single pieces, and the ball cockpits aren't very complex. The Y-Wing and 1/144 Falcon were both really good, though the piping was a lot of the installation, so fat fingers are even worse for this than with regular gunpla. I never finished the X-Wing I bought, though I can't remember why.

The 1/72 Falcon is definitely still available if you look a bit. I'm still debating the $400 with myself, though.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
On the humanoid model side of things, the bandai kits have more defined detail and articulation than similar Black Series figures (though with the obvious fragility that comes with making a hollow model kit). Model kits with human faces can be a bit ehhh but otherwise their experience with Kamen Rider has paid off well for the ol' stormies.

Captain Phasma and C3PO are vac-metalized which is more film-accurate but isn't a look everyone likes + means you can do a lot of damage to the look when removing parts from sprues (and the Black Series Phasma has a pretty nice non-metallic metal silver paint job).

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
There's a Metal Build Arbalest. And it looks really, really sexy. As in sexy enough to not build the Aoshima Arbalest I got from Midjack a year or so ago (but I'm keeping that Gernsback I ordered recently)

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10497975

Are these things really worth darn near Chogokin DX pricing?

Also meanwhile I'm working on the RG clear Trans Am 00 Raiser, and goddamn do these clear parts beg for Godhands. I tried last week with GP nippers and a fresh curved Xacto blade and it left behind some pretty real white marks.

I hate to revive the nipper elitism but is there any other decent way to do clean nub shaving or sanding on a clear parts kit?

Gonna paint the skeletal parts of the frame chrome and everything else that nice dark steel they do in the Vallejo Mecha Color, it's my new jam.

RGs are cool and good, though. I thought it'd be an absolute nightmare of tiny parts but it wasn't as awful as I thought it'd be. I'm totally blown away by the leg and arm frames that are molded as one piece but are still mobile at the joints. What kind of witchcraft is this?

MJP fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Oct 23, 2017

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

I'm working on my PG Strike and god drat, the amount of detail and parts in this is impressive. Just need to build the weapons and arms and I'm done with the main strike part. Still got the skygrasper and aile packs to build.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

MJP posted:

There's a Metal Build Arbalest. And it looks really, really sexy. As in sexy enough to not build the Aoshima Arbalest I got from Midjack a year or so ago (but I'm keeping that Gernsback I ordered recently)

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10497975

Are these things really worth darn near Chogokin DX pricing?

Every Metal Build I own is basically Chogokin DX but for Gundams and Stuff, so I'd say yes if you consider the DX stuff worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

drat, managed to put a small crack into the shield for the strike. I put the clear part in wrong and was taking the red piece off and managed to put just a little too much pressure one side and cracked it a bit. Any reccomendations to make it look better? It's not a massive crack luckly.

asterioth fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Oct 23, 2017