Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostos
Nov 2, 2012
i'm reading agape agape. Good book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
anything good on the kindle 10th anneversary sale? I already got all the octavia butler ones

Nostos
Nov 2, 2012
all the bernhard bros here should def read agape agape if you have not already

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Nostos posted:

all the bernhard bros here should def read agape agape if you have not already

i read carpenters gothic and it made me commit targeted harassment campaigns against women

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I just started Faust part two after having completed the first. I've got to say I was real intimidated by starting to read a novel that took an entire lifetime to compose. But reading David Luke's translation I flew through the first part, in all honesty I found myself reading quicker than my brain was interpreting the words and had to keep going back and rereading sections.

The first part was great and one of the few books that I can say I actually felt better about myself after reading. Some of the realizations that Faust has seems more relevant in the modern times of social isolation then they even might of in Goethe's day. And it certainly inspired me to try and live a little more and enjoy the life I have instead of wasting it. The introduction to Part II was not appreciated though it was nearly as long as the first part and while it would be interesting info for a reread or an amateur scholar researching Goethe. Him going through and trying to puzzle out exactly when each of the sections was created would've felt better as a separate section at the end when I had more context.

As an aside there's a website called Librivox that does free Audiobook versions of out of copyright novels and it's version of Faust it hilarious. Gretchen is a little flat but fine. Mephistopheles is weird but okay. Faust Is good, but nearly every side character is awful. I ended up laughing to myself, alone, at 3 in the morning at the end of the first act just from the final lines being delivered so poorly. Imagine a chorus of Angels announcing someones soul is saved with all the Gravitas of a bunch of Kindergartners putting on their first play.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Agapé Agape is actually a censored work because his editors took advantage of his death to take out some disobliging remarks about the guy who edited Confederacy of Dunces.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

So I've never gotten round to reading Borges, I don't know why. I've had a copy of his short stories for nearly a year now but there always seemed to be something else that I wanted to read before it. I think I was a little intimidated by his good reputation, like I was scared of it or something. I dunno, I was stupid. But since I had a trip to the dole office I figured I might as well have something to do there and brought it along. I read Tlon, The Approach to Al-Mutasim, Pierre Menard and the Circular Ruins while I was waiting in the dole office and I barely loving heard my name being called out.

I'm a loving retard for having owned this book for so long without actually reading it, it's good as hell. I can't believe I nearly let it slip me by.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Haha I have a massive Borges short stories book on my shelf that I keep passing up for some reason too.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I've got a borges collection on the top of a pile of books on my bedside table though tbf i bought it only a month ago

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
my borges collections are in my bedroom borges shrine, as is recommended.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
more like boringes

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Mel Mudkiper posted:

more like boringes

boreges, surely.

my top of my bedside book stack is currently the pale king, so i've been periodically reading a few pages of that, thinking that it's bad, and then taking a break to read comic books instead.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
you should read Blackwater bro

Its the Aquarium for a fresh new generation

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

ordered magic mountain off of a local bookstore yesterday, while I’m waiting I need to figure out what I wanna read in the mean time. should I go with the follow-up from Wayfarers by Hamsun, hermann ungar, Bernhard or maybe see if Red Sorghum is any good?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

who wrote it

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

look up

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

ulvir posted:

who wrote it

stephen king

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
I'm reading A Girl in Exile by Ismail Kadare and it is really good. Never read anything by him before but I've had Broken April out of the library for like 5 months without touching it.

I still probably won't, because up next is The Seventh Function of Language by Laurent Binet, which is about when Roland Barthes was hit and killed by a laundry van after having lunch with a French presidential candidate (true story). I absolutely loved HHhH, so really looking forward to this one.

Nostos
Nov 2, 2012

Nanomashoes posted:

i read carpenters gothic and it made me commit targeted harassment campaigns against women

i borrowed that book too, it's next on my reading list.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

Haha I have a massive Borges short stories book on my shelf that I keep passing up for some reason too.

If you like Lem then you will love Borges, my friend.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

I just read The Man with Compound Eyes by Wu Ming-yi and it's really good, you guys should read it too. It's mostly about a Polynesian boy who's exiled from his island and washed up on an island of trash, and a suicidal professor. Then the trash island washes up on Taiwan and lots of characters get the spotlight, including a couple of Aboriginals, a hunter and a bar owner who used to work in a rub and tug, and some foreigners digging a tunnel. There's lots of nature writing and stuff about trash and pollution and the grimy side of Taiwanese life and politics. It's bleak, but not despairing. The relationships are touching. It's political and relevant, but not in a stupid way.

The whole thing is a bit like Murakami only good and Taiwanese.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
Blackwater was written by the guy who wrote Beetlejuice? I'm down.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I may have an opportunity to get pics of the book made of flesh next weekend. No guarantees, but I was invited to come visit.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Make sure to tell people where you're going, and arrange to meet them soon after as the first few hours can be vital.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Franchescanado posted:

I may have an opportunity to get pics of the book made of flesh next weekend. No guarantees, but I was invited to come visit.

If you do, that might be a good subject to break off I to it's own thread

Also use a curse shield

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
pale fire is so loving good. i think about it randomly throughout the day and just burst out laughing

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

If you do, that might be a good subject to break off I to it's own thread

Also use a curse shield

Sounds good, I will (if it happens)

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I've really been digging postcolonial authors lately. Any gems that don't get enough love? I've mostly been reading Chinua Achebe and Pamuk and for non-lit Orientalism & (my personal favorite) Black Marxism. I'm specifically interested in the concept of creolization, since it's an area I know less about than I should.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Shbobdb posted:

I've really been digging postcolonial authors lately. Any gems that don't get enough love? I've mostly been reading Chinua Achebe and Pamuk and for non-lit Orientalism & (my personal favorite) Black Marxism. I'm specifically interested in the concept of creolization, since it's an area I know less about than I should.

Read CLR James, The Black Jacobins if you read nothing else. It's not specifically lit but it's so so incredibly good

I'm going to take creole to mean anything about being between two parent cultures and tell you to read Nella Larsen's 'Passing' as well, which is only short

If you like Achebe read Ngugi wa Thiong'o or Dambudzo Marechera

Nostos
Nov 2, 2012

Shbobdb posted:

Idk much about creolization specifically. Nigerian lit I'd recommend: Amos Tutuola, Palm Wine Drinkard, My life in the bush of ghosts; Ben Okri, The famished road; Soyinka, The interpreters, Death and the king's horsemen, Kongi's harvest; Elechi Amadi, The concubine; Ken Saro-Wiwa, Sozaboy.

Kenyan lit: Anything by Thiong'o, but don't start w/ Wizard of the crow, Wahome wa Ngugi, Black star nairobi; Wahome Mutahi, Whispers; Elspeth Huxley, Red strangers; Margaret Ogola, The river and the source

you should read Fanon if you haven't already.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Shbobdb posted:

Not really sure if Pamuk is post colonial given that Turkey was never colonised. Ai Kwei Armah and Kofi Awoonoor are both good and write about post colonial Ghana, and then Armah's more recent work has more of a focus on Afrocentrist ideas rather than being about the 'post-colonial experience' or whatever.

e: not post colonial at all, but there's an African American writer called Leon Forrest who, in addition to being very good and largely unknown generally, has a lot of stuff in his books that's probably relevant to creolisation.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

A human heart posted:

Not really sure if Pamuk is post colonial given that Turkey was never colonised. Ai Kwei Armah and Kofi Awoonoor are both good and write about post colonial Ghana, and then Armah's more recent work has more of a focus on Afrocentrist ideas rather than being about the 'post-colonial experience' or whatever.

e: not post colonial at all, but there's an African American writer called Leon Forrest who, in addition to being very good and largely unknown generally, has a lot of stuff in his books that's probably relevant to creolisation.

Pamuk isn't in a strictly postcolonial situation himself, but he makes literature that conspicuously engages with postcolonialist thought starting with Said. Very few Western critics would be able to write at any length about Pamuk's work without referencing Orientalism (at least implicitly).

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

at the date posted:

Pamuk isn't in a strictly postcolonial situation himself, but he makes literature that conspicuously engages with postcolonialist thought starting with Said. Very few Western critics would be able to write at any length about Pamuk's work without referencing Orientalism (at least implicitly).

tbf Western critics somehow can't write the word postcolonial without mentioning Said

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

so does that mean it is also bad

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

A human heart posted:

He's not technically but he touches on those themes.

The Turkish identity very much suffers from "fake designer bag" syndrome which Pamuk talks about at length. He's not strictly post-Colonial but he kicked off my post-colonial kick so I'm gonna run with it.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

thehoodie posted:

I still probably won't, because up next is The Seventh Function of Language by Laurent Binet, which is about when Roland Barthes was hit and killed by a laundry van after having lunch with a French presidential candidate (true story). I absolutely loved HHhH, so really looking forward to this one.

Read about 80 pages of this today and I already am in love with this book. It's like if Pynchon was hanging out in the 70s with French post-structuralists. It's also hilarious. Just had a scene with Foucault in a gay sauna where some guy runs around and touches everyone's dicks.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I just finished Suttree by Cormac McCarthy and I don't really know where to go from there. I've read Blood Meridian a couple times and McCarthy has become one of my favorite writers.

Any recommendations? I don't necessarily need to read another McCarthy novel just yet.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

finally found a translation of Voyage au bout de la nuit in my native tongue today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

me your dad posted:

I just finished Suttree by Cormac McCarthy and I don't really know where to go from there. I've read Blood Meridian a couple times and McCarthy has become one of my favorite writers.

Any recommendations? I don't necessarily need to read another McCarthy novel just yet.

william faulkner. you'll immediately see the huge influence he's had on mccarthy. he's also unbelievably difficult to read in some of his books, so i would recommend you start with Light in August or As I Lay Dying, they're relatively accessible.