Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Kanos posted:

I'm not 100% sure it has been minimal effort, though. There's got to be a reason why they held him back for so long and were so eager to let him get back to meditating instead of paring down the other universes' numbers for safety first.

I wonder if Jiren's dying or something? Like his power's consuming him? And he wants to wish for a cure? Toppo spoke like Jiren had a pretty specific wish in mind...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Kashuno posted:

maybe, doesn't seem like it though.

Side note where the heck is U6 Buu???

There is only one Buu in the multiverse. From what Toriyama said, Buu existed before the universes formed.

He's basically pure chaos

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I'm just gonna be patient to see what happens with Jiren, my guess is by the end we'll see him, Toppo, maybe Dyspo, Ribrianne (and maybe one more with her), some combined super robot from U3, the bugs of U4, Caulifla and Kale, and then all of U7

Also Botamo is the U6 Buu

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I can only hope that the reason Jiren's holding back is that he genuinely dislikes fighting or something to help make him stand out from the rest of the Goku rivals.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I hope Jiren is just a dude who is like “I don’t fight people without reason or if I don’t feel like they’re worth my time”

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Kashuno posted:

I hope Jiren is just a dude who is like “I don’t fight people without reason or if I don’t feel like they’re worth my time”

"The survival of my entire universe" would seem like a compelling reason.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
I'm gonna piggyback on Kashuno here for a moment because they said what I agree with.

'lol we brought our B team' is literally the worst way to go with this.

The argument being of course 'but then U7 is clowning on them'.

But you can't put that genie back in the bottle. U7 has been shown to be incredibly superior to 99% of the other universes. Calling Ribianne a challenge is super unfair; it's become clear that she's maybe base level Goku's level of power.

At this point it feels like they should just go with it; the universes in the tournament aren't Goku level, they won't be Goku level, and they won't be a challenge. So just trash those, maybe have them do some stuff with Picollo/Gohan/Trunks/Goten/whatever, as a tier 2 guys while Goku and Vegeta go punching people in the new universes (Not that all of those are strong) or some secret thing from a destroyed universe or the 5 strongest fighters or whatever.

I think the main problem with a retcon of 'lol these were are second best guys we got like 5 other better ones' is that it just feels so much like flying by the seat of your pants that it's not even interesting anymore. It's basically late game Bleach where an actual army with 25 super powerful fighters appears and goes 'oh yeah we've been living here the whole time.'

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

deadly_pudding posted:

They almost have to. Grandma Goku is like a ticking time bomb at this stage. Even if she doesn't die, she could have a stroke or get The Dementia.

But she also voices Gohan and Goten

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Stallion Cabana posted:

I'm gonna piggyback on Kashuno here for a moment because they said what I agree with.

But you can't put that genie back in the bottle. U7 has been shown to be incredibly superior to 99% of the other universes. Calling Ribianne a challenge is super unfair; it's become clear that she's maybe base level Goku's level of power.

At this point it feels like they should just go with it; the universes in the tournament aren't Goku level, they won't be Goku level, and they won't be a challenge. So just trash those, maybe have them do some stuff with Picollo/Gohan/Trunks/Goten/whatever, as a tier 2 guys while Goku and Vegeta go punching people in the new universes (Not that all of those are strong) or some secret thing from a destroyed universe or the 5 strongest fighters or whatever.

I think the main problem with a retcon of 'lol these were are second best guys we got like 5 other better ones' is that it just feels so much like flying by the seat of your pants that it's not even interesting anymore. It's basically late game Bleach where an actual army with 25 super powerful fighters appears and goes 'oh yeah we've been living here the whole time.'

All these universes are the B-team. The excluded universes have the tougher fighters waiting in the back.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Stallion Cabana posted:

all of super is about people finding out what it is they need to do to step up their game, why would it be different for the universal survival characters when they (inevitably) return?

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Rhonne posted:

Frieza will wish to become a gag character, thus becoming unstoppable.

Not entirely out of the question. Jiren and UI Goku are basically Saitama strong.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Kanos posted:

"The survival of my entire universe" would seem like a compelling reason.

Jiren trusts Dyspo and especially Toppo. I don’t think if it was “hey Jiren fight or it’s over” he would sit off to the side meditating.

Also there are actual dozens of people that are stronger than even Goku at this moment. Even some of the GoDs seemed unconcerned about UI, not to mention all the angels, anyone hiding in the other universes, and the big 5

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Stallion Cabana posted:

There could be bad guys in the other universes who are either relatively weak to the chosen specialties of those universes (robots, magical girls) or who are simply really loving strong and who the GODs didn't trust to not gently caress things up (Universe 11). U6 may also have some dark horses in the wings/magic jars.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Jiren is pushed to the moon despite a bland personality, needs to rest a ton during fights, and has a heavily limited offense where oftentimes one finishing move is all it takes. He's part of a uniformed trio who tends to refer to themselves in terms of justice. Isn't it obvious?

Jiren is Roman Reigns.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Son of a bitch....

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Two Tone Shoes posted:

All these universes are the B-team. The excluded universes have the tougher fighters waiting in the back.

This is not the information we have.

That isn't to say I'm saying it won't happen, but that's not exactly how the universes have been described. Remember that in an ideal universe, the God of Destruction would be the one taking care of all the threats; that leaves plenty of room for the individuals in those universes to be very weak. They could be strong, or they could be weak.

We know, for instance, Liquir's universe is basically perfectly in order at all times and he carries out his jobs immediately, and Gene's universe has no troubles in it because he exploded everything that could be a threat already and now he's bored.

I'm not against those universes being strong or anything. I just don't want a 'surprise, we have a bunch of strong guys we didn't use in the tournament'. Maybe one or two guys is fine. If U11 has some loving monster evil dude that they keep locked up in a black hole or something and he gets out and then Goku and Jiren have to team up and beat him that's loving amazing. But if every universe has stuff like that then it's like 'ehhhh'

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
But...but I actually like Jiren.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Kashuno posted:

maybe, doesn't seem like it though.

Side note where the heck is U6 Buu???

Where is Universe 7 Hit?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
This tournament is basically the equivalent of Goku's first World Martial Arts Tournament, except with the perspectives flipped. They showed that pretty well in the episodes about Hit and Roshi: they won in the end, but their younger opponents worked them over pretty well before then. In the latter's case he actually had to kill himself to get Ganos out of there. Then you have characters like Kale and Brianne who can make the lead uncork literal godly power, even if his ultimate battle isn't with them. It's probably intentional since Dragon Ball has always sort of had a passing the torch thing with youth coming up, even if it didn't go all the way with it usually.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Everything's made up and the power levels don't matter.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

The Bee posted:

Jiren is pushed to the moon despite a bland personality, needs to rest a ton during fights, and has a heavily limited offense where oftentimes one finishing move is all it takes. He's part of a uniformed trio who tends to refer to themselves in terms of justice. Isn't it obvious?

Jiren is Roman Reigns.

Shameful back, shameful flips.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Momomo posted:

Where is Universe 7 Hit?

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe
If Toei wants to escalate the stakes after this tournament, they can just have someone wish Dr. Gero back to life and have him poo poo out a few more androids that are each individually stronger than the Grand Priest and Zeno and all the other angels and gods combined. No one even needs to tell him about god ki or ssj levels, he just bases his new androids around beating Android Saga SSJ Goku and accidentally makes multi-universe scale power.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it's actually guldo

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Maybe he wanted to be there for the birth of his child and couldn't make it?

"Sire, this is your 12th child, that isn't exactly necessary at this point."

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Crabtree posted:

"Sire, this is your 12th child, that isn't exactly necessary at this point."

Vados just didn't feel like doing a magical C-Section that day

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Desumaytah posted:

But...but I actually like Jiren.

In fairness, most people liked Roman when he was in the Shield, too.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Who is Kurt Angle

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Justin_Brett posted:

Who is Kurt Angle

He's Cell era Gohan. He came in and stole the show and then the era changed all he did was get severely hurt a lot

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Happy 81st Birthday to the only good Goku voice actor, Masako Nozawa.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Can't believe they show an upskirt shot of Nappa in his gameplay trailer smh pure fanservice in this game https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfHzZzREY4o

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Kashuno posted:

Can't believe they show an upskirt shot of Nappa in his gameplay trailer smh pure fanservice in this game https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfHzZzREY4o

that isn’t a screencap

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Using Yamcha just so they can demonstrate the Saibamen on him is just another touch that they're getting right.

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy
What I want in Super: Piccolo trains with Kachi Katchin weighted clothes so much that he becomes many thousands of times heavier than Earth's gravity. Throwing tiny pieces of his limbs at enemies becomes a viable strategy. Power levels are measured in how many Piccolo fingers someone can wear without being crushed, with 10% of a finger called a Nail.

What I'll get: Yelling, hair, Goku

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

what i want: Cell

what i get: probably Cell

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Kashuno posted:

I wonder what the deal with the 5 top fighters is. Jiren doesn't seem to be even in the realm of a top fighter because GP is as whatever about him as he is anyone else. Seems to be that none of the angels (and by extension GoDs) are anywhere near there. I can't imagine they're mortals who exist in the leftover universes. That leaves GP, Dragon God, and ???x3

I'm sure it's totally not a throwaway line

Zeno's two (I guess four now?) body guards are definitely in this group.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Calibanibal posted:

what i want: Cell

what i get: probably Cell

Super Satan God Mr. Satan vs Even More Perfect Cell

:vince:

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
How strong are the bodyguards?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

There's been nothing said about them about their battle strength.

Considering the Grand Priest is supposed to be way stronger than Whis, who is way stronger than Beerus is always by Zeno's side and he still has two of those bodyguards, you'd probably have to assume they're stupid strong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Agoat posted:

How strong are the bodyguards?

That dude I was responding to was talking about a line Whis says the first time Goku goes to meet Zeno at his pad. He says something like the high priest is the fourth strongest person who exists. I assumed the three higher were the bodyguards and Zeno himself.