Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It's Ishiguro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

these have never been right in the whole of history or even very close

Empty quoting

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Wheat Loaf posted:

I hope that whoever wins reacts the way Doris Lessing did when she learned she'd won 10 years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuBODHFBZ8k

Old people can get away with anything.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
here's a weird thing

quote:

The second edition of the Oxford English Dictionary included citations from a book called Meanderings of Memory for senses of 51 entries (full list on the wikipedia page).
Inspection of the original submission slips in the OED archive revealed that they came from Edward Peacock (1831–1915), an antiquary, writer, and regular OED volunteer reader living near Brigg in Lincolnshire.

The third edition of the OED (publication ongoing since 2000) is fully revisiting all entries. A staff member revising the entry for revirginize in 2013 sought to verify the word's earliest citation, from Meanderings of Memory: "Where that cosmetic ... Shall e'er revirginize that brow's abuse". When the staffer failed to locate the work, OED chief bibliographer Veronica Hurst launched a deeper search. No copy could be located; Hurst found no mention in Google Books, the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography or other works consulted; and confirmation of the book's existence initially rested entirely upon a short listing in an 1854 catalogue of G. Gancia, a bookseller in Brighton:
MEANDERINGS of Memory, by Nightlark, 8vo, boards London, 1852 6s Written and published by a well-known connoisseur with the epigraph "Cur potius lacrimæ tibi mihi, Philomela placebant?"

Investigating the Latin epigraph was another dead end. It translates to "why did my tears please you more, my Philomel?" and does not appear to be a quotation from another work.

On 3 May 2013 OED editors posted about the book on the "OED Appeals" section of the website:
A number of quotations in the OED derive from a book with the title Meanderings of Memory. However, we have been unable to trace this title in library catalogues or text databases. All these quotations have a date of 1852, and some cite the author as 'Nightlark'. Have you ever seen a copy of this book? Can you identify the 'well-known connoisseur' mentioned by the bookseller?

Meanderings of Memory is listed in several catalogues, including an 1854 Sotheby's catalogue, which rendered less likely the notion that the work might be a hoax by a nineteenth-century miscreant. Identification of Peacock as the reader corroborated this. Given the "flowery" character of the work's quotations appearing in the OED, and in light of the Sotheby's auction record, Hurst postulates that Meanderings of Memory may turn out to be a short book of poetry.
What do you think? Who's Nightlark? Was this just a random guy who managed to get his poetry published and quoted 50 times in the dictionary?
I'm also intrigued by the Latin quotation as much as the book, knowing it's not a quote from something else.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

One of my favorite lit-lols is to go around the Internet and read all of the "I thought Murakami had it for sure!" posts after the Nobel, and this year does not disappoint. I like him too but I'm not sure where the incessant Nobel buzz is coming from.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
He's the only non-English language author people have heard of.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

[quote="“Burning Rain”" post="“477119223”"]
He’s the only non-English language author people have heard of.
[/quote]

*norwegian

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

This is really cool. Also sounds like some kind of weird real life Pale Fire thing.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I'm rooting for Meanderings of Memory being a construct of Edward Peacock. Quotations of a nonexistant work in the Oxford, that'd be something alright.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I got a cool book that I'm excited about and want to share with you guys:

I've read the poo poo out of my paperbacks for both books dating back to when I was like 9 and they're both in well-loved condition, getting a cool hardcover collection of both books makes me feel like a kid again.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
isnt that the barnes and noble "classics" thing?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I believe so.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I did what you asked Hieronymous, I posted in TBB but it devolved into politics :rip:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Mel Mudkiper posted:

As far as I can tell, yeah.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Xenomrph posted:

As far as I can tell, yeah.

Also whats up, I still remember your super good Lps back in the day. How much did Alien: Covenant force you to burn the canon?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Is there a lazier book genre/classification than "New Weird"?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The subgenre classification feels pretty artificial but there's good stuff in there.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

Is there a lazier book genre/classification than "New Weird"?

new sincerity

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

new sincerity

What qualifies under that?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

What qualifies under that?

DFW and other sad sensitive man novels

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

DFW and other sad sensitive man novels

It's a lame qualifier, but it kind of makes sense as a step away from overly-ironic writing. It still barely means anything. "New Weird" still takes the cake, since it can be any genre, as long as anything remotely surreal might happen. So anything from The Shining to Gravity's Rainbow to My Name Is Red to Foucault's Pendulum to a Joe R. Lansdale story qualify. But if almost everything qualifies, what's the loving point other than to literally say "something weird will happen in this book".

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

I don't really know who the ironic writers new sincerity was supposed to be reacting against are.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Also whats up, I still remember your super good Lps back in the day. How much did Alien: Covenant force you to burn the canon?

Very little to be honest, haha.
I wish I'd backed up the raw video files from my LPs, they got lost in a hard drive crash.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

A human heart posted:

I don't really know who the ironic writers new sincerity was supposed to be reacting against are.

Post-modernists like Pynchon, DeLillo, Roth, Hesse, some of the Beats, etc.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

I don't think Pynchon or Hesse are very ironic at all

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

A human heart posted:

Alanis Morissette.

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

A human heart posted:

CestMoi posted:

Alanis Morissette.

People who make this joke (but also are famous authors).

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Why do I get the feeling that I'm not supposed to like new sincerity and any work that can be identified as it should be destroyed and its creator executed?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Too late.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

A human heart posted:

I don't think Pynchon or Hesse are very ironic at all

Pynchon is incredibly ironic, but I agree Hesse isn't. I've only read Demian, and it's pretty much an internalized monologue of a guy learning how to meditate and trying to gently caress his friend's mom. While it's not ironic, it's certainly more interested in philosophical ideas than emotional explorations of the characters like New Sincerity. If anything, Demian is about a person trying to eliminate emotions from his life so he can function only on logic.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Pynchon is about being a sincere wacky man who writes sez instead of says

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
And weed, and the library.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

A human heart posted:

Pynchon is about being a sincere wacky man who writes sez instead of says

Mmmmnot really, no. Most of his "sincere wacky man" characters face existential oblivion, defeat, sadness, or destruction. Very rarely do they have a "happy" ending. He also has more female protagonists than male. He does use "sez" a lot, but that's maybe in half of his novels with more contemporary settings.

Mr. Squishy posted:

And weed, and the library.

This is more true. But also the fallacy of understanding, over saturation of knowledge, the validity and illusions of pop culture, the idiocy in trying to find greater meaning in existence, man-kind's need to breed destruction on one another, loving, music, and trying to live life despite all the bullshit.

And pigs. Dude loves pigs.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Pigs are pretty amazing though.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Enfys posted:

Pigs are pretty amazing though.

Ok charlotte

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Anyone want books for Christmas? You're in the Book Barn, so you probably do! Why not join our 2017 Secret Santa? Last year was a big success, so this year should be too. If you're interested, the thread is here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3838647

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Hahahahahah when did the Black Library thread get a name change to stop people assuming a book forum has a place to talk about works by non white authors

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

CestMoi posted:

Hahahahahah when did the Black Library thread get a name change to stop people assuming a book forum has a place to talk about works by non white authors

hahaah , that wasn't the intent but that's hilarious

I added that a week or so ago because the new Total War: Warhammer video game came out and I realized there might be people here actually, god forbid, wanting to read a Warhammer novel, and that title was really ambiguous unless you already knew "black library" meant "warhammer"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
people reading warhammer at least makes some sense to me. there's a whole game connected to it which you presumably play with other human beings, and i can see where that would be fun.

people reading malazan disturbs me hugely