Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Brioche buns are good especially when you need to sop up some of that sunny-side-up egg goodness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

I had a burger from a food truck about a week ago. It looked like it was sous vided but was thin and dry and barely warm and awful. Well that's my recent burg story.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

the littlest prince posted:

I had a burger from a food truck about a week ago. It looked like it was sous vided but was thin and dry and barely warm and awful. Well that's my recent burg story.

But what kind of bun did you get?

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

It was a lovely bun. Like if you went to the grocery store because you were too dumb to realize ahead of time that you needed buns to make burgers, and didn’t realize that there are restaurant supply stores that probably sell passable buns for reasonable prices, and then bought the absolute cheapest bun you could possibly afford.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Also the chips were terrible. That truck needs to fall off a cliff. Without anyone inside of course.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

I like a brioche bun when the burger and its contents are sizeable because it moulds itself around the contents and they don't get squished out. A crunchier roll has the unfortunate consequence of losing structural cohesiveness too often.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Also the chips were terrible. That truck needs to fall off a cliff. Without anyone inside of course.

The food truck fad is both the best and worst thing to happen in commercial food service in a long time. Kimchi fries with bulgogi? Awesome. Hot dog with curry sauce, cream cheese, and bonito flakes? Weird, but it worked. But also an absolute ton of poo poo. I basically won't try a food truck now unless they've been around for at least a year.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Food trucks tend to be better that most of the poo poo that pops up here. At least we don't have any poke places yet.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

in my experience if you get anything in a food truck after the fist half hour of lunch rush it'll be poo poo.

They're generally poo poo regardless and cost more than local deli's or non upscale restaurants (city).

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

was it finished deep fried? If not you just got a real lovely burger.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Shooting Blanks posted:

The food truck fad is both the best and worst thing to happen in commercial food service in a long time. Kimchi fries with bulgogi? Awesome. Hot dog with curry sauce, cream cheese, and bonito flakes? Weird, but it worked. But also an absolute ton of poo poo. I basically won't try a food truck now unless they've been around for at least a year.

There is another truck around here that does an incredible mac & cheese burger. I usually wait for the trucks to come to me but once or twice I've driven downtown just to go to this truck. The patty is huge, cooked through but still juicy, has bacon on it that is a bit peppery, and the mac has a flavor that is just strong enough to make itself heard and is just dry enough so that it isn't falling out of the bun. It's a loving masterpiece of a burger and it's like $9 with slightly above average chips.

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

was it finished deep fried? If not you just got a real lovely burger.

nope

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
A Jucy's (the local burger chain) just opened in the parking lot of the grocery store a mile down the street. Welp, I know where I'm going for lunch every day.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
I can't help it, I still really like Five Guys.

Bacon & cheese with lettuce, onion, mustard, A1 and jalapeno. My favorite.

Also I snickered slightly when my order number was 69. Because I'm apparently still in middle school.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Nice

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Fenrir posted:

I can't help it, I still really like Five Guys.

You don’t have to justify enjoying a burger in this thread friend.

Live long and :burger:

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

in my experience if you get anything in a food truck after the fist half hour of lunch rush it'll be poo poo.

They're generally poo poo regardless and cost more than local deli's or non upscale restaurants (city).

Assuming you're not talking about the trucks that strictly cater to construction sites, food trucks lower the barrier to entry for commercial food service. That's a good thing - it promotes competition, allows upcoming chefs (and wanna-bes) to experiment and try new things without taking on $250k+ in debt, and offers customers the chance to try completely new and unique offerings. I probably wouldn't seek out a burger from a food truck unless they were doing something really interesting, but the more successful trucks frequently go on to open brick and mortar locations and come with a built in audience.

Anything that promotes competition is good. Food trucks do just that.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I like that this is the least judgey thread in GWS. You can post a double quarter pounder w/ cheese from McDonald's and say it wasn't the best thing ever but satisfied your burg craving, and not get 10 followup responses of "Ugh, I'd rather starve" and "Tell me your exact address so that I can research another place near you that I have never been to but will still tell you that you should have gone to instead."

Keep burgin', friends.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Shooting Blanks posted:

Assuming you're not talking about the trucks that strictly cater to construction sites, food trucks lower the barrier to entry for commercial food service. That's a good thing - it promotes competition, allows upcoming chefs (and wanna-bes) to experiment and try new things without taking on $250k+ in debt, and offers customers the chance to try completely new and unique offerings. I probably wouldn't seek out a burger from a food truck unless they were doing something really interesting, but the more successful trucks frequently go on to open brick and mortar locations and come with a built in audience.

Anything that promotes competition is good. Food trucks do just that.

I'm aware of this and know of three restaurants that were originally trucks (and still keep those going) but just don't feel that you get their best after the initial batch of tickets with the exception of the fire oven pizza trucks. poo poo just gets cold. I also feel that in the past two years established restaurants have been making trucks to hit up the truck gatherings rather than it being as good of an entry like it was five years ago. This is all location based tbh, I work downtown so I have a glut of options in both food trucks and restaurants and I am thankful for the kimchi burgers/burritos that don't have a presence in the latter. My parents in the burbs still see them as a bit of a novelty and there are enough breweries out there without kitchens that they don't have as rabid of competition.

To my original statement, a sous vide burger that's warm and awful probably wasn't gotten in the first round of tickets.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

kloa posted:

You don’t have to justify enjoying a burger in this thread friend.

Live long and :burger:

I burged a steak and shake Garlic double + cajun double for lunch because fuckit it's friday.

Promptly got a big ole gooey cheese stain on a brand new shirt.

No regrets.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Doom Rooster posted:

I like that this is the least judgey thread in GWS. You can post a double quarter pounder w/ cheese from McDonald's and say it wasn't the best thing ever but satisfied your burg craving, and not get 10 followup responses of "Ugh, I'd rather starve" and "Tell me your exact address so that I can research another place near you that I have never been to but will still tell you that you should have gone to instead."

Keep burgin', friends.

it's hard to execute (whatever the analogue to salsa chicken is) with burgers to be fair. either the burg's good or it's not

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Five guys just need to melt the loving cheese. That’s it. But they don’t. And it makes me sad.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Shooting Blanks posted:

but the more successful trucks frequently go on to open brick and mortar locations and come with a built in audience.

Exactly what happened this year with Slidin' Dirty in Troy, they were a truck operation that became an actual restaurant. They're easily a top 5 burger joint of the Albany area.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Ultimate Mango posted:

Five guys just need to melt the loving cheese. That’s it. But they don’t. And it makes me sad.

Eh, true but if you let it sit in the foil for a couple minutes it usually melts by itself. I take my time filling my soda cup and stuff before I unwrap it and it's usually melty.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

You can also specifically request that the cheese on your burger is well-melted when you order. They'll let it sit on the burger on the grill for a little longer, assuming there's not a huge lunch/dinner rush. Ideally they'd add the cheese a little earlier than usual so the burger itself doesn't get overcooked, but I can't make that promise.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Ultimate Mango posted:

British Five Guys have always done melted cheese on all burgs.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
If you're getting them to go it'll be melted by the time you open the wrapper up too thanks to steam.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

My 5 Guys cheese anecdote: When I went there the other day I splurged and got a regular fry order for myself. By the time I got to the burger, the cheese had clearly melted, but then cooled enough to re-solidify. The lesson: stick your hand down in there and get the burger out first, I guess.

Unrelated: Something is hosed up where this thread consistently shows two more new replies than there actually are. So if I've read everything, it'll still show 2. The forums are commanding me to burg, maybe?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Glad I am not the only one. It's been stuck at 2 new posts for at least a week for me.

But I will indeed burg soon.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

I thought I was going crazy always seeing 2 posts in this thread on the Awful.app.

I thought I've been missing out on burg pics :ohdear:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Oh thank gently caress it's not just me then, I can fully go ":argh:RADIUM:argh:"

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Enourmo posted:

Oh thank gently caress it's not just me then, I can fully go ":argh:RADIUM:argh:"

Actually, you should go ":argh:Steadfast:argh:". They're the ones that led to a power outage that shouldn't have happened which led to the index corruption issues that have been plaguing SO MANY THREADS.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Doom Rooster posted:

Glad I am not the only one. It's been stuck at 2 new posts for at least a week for me.

But I will indeed burg soon.

Same here, I was wondering what the gently caress that was. Also I am debating burging again today... I got some Wendy's coupons in the mail yesterday. Baconator combo for 5 bucks? :getin:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Enourmo posted:

Unrelated: Something is hosed up where this thread consistently shows two more new replies than there actually are. So if I've read everything, it'll still show 2. The forums are commanding me to burg, maybe?

Oh good, I'm not the only one with this problem.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Same problem here :/

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
I just kangaroo smash burged, with mayo to make up the lack of fat content with a semi-solid way. It was good! It was a bit of a pain to cook though, because they were really loose and stuck to the smashing implement. Would it be better if I just used oil or butter? Would working the mixture more tighten it up?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Allstone posted:

I just kangaroo smash burged, with mayo to make up the lack of fat content with a semi-solid way. It was good! It was a bit of a pain to cook though, because they were really loose and stuck to the smashing implement. Would it be better if I just used oil or butter? Would working the mixture more tighten it up?

Have you tried putting it in a bag and hopping around wi

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Allstone posted:

Depending on where you are, adding suet to a superlean burg like that during the grind can really help,

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Samizdata posted:

Depending on where you are, adding suet to a superlean burg like that during the grind can really help,
Yeah I was guessing saturated fat would help. It comes pre-ground, but I could probably try mincing some bacon fat and working it through. One of the issues is it starts off kind of wet, so I might try a dash of starch to soak that up and see how it goes. Probably going to take some tinkering to get it to where I want it regardless.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Usually I have to roll the smashing utensil off of the patty, otherwise lifting straight up makes it stick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

thread should be remade

• Locked thread