Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

StrixNebulosa posted:

Hey, where's the best place to buy gunpla in Canada? I'm trying to get my Canadian friend into the hobby and the difference in prices on ebay is a little silly.

At least amazon only has you add like 5$ shipping, but if there's a better deal, I want to know!

Watch for deals on amazon. I got the RG gp01 fb for twenty bucks. My local hobby shop sells it for forty five

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

If it's worth killing it's worth overkilling.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Hey, where's the best place to buy gunpla in Canada? I'm trying to get my Canadian friend into the hobby and the difference in prices on ebay is a little silly.

At least amazon only has you add like 5$ shipping, but if there's a better deal, I want to know!

Prime92 tends to plug http://www.canadiangundam.com/ alot, no clue how it is since Im in the states.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

asterioth posted:

Prime92 tends to plug http://www.canadiangundam.com/ alot, no clue how it is since Im in the states.

This seems to be decent idea for bulk buys since shipping is 10 bucks flat, prices are bit high though.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Toys on Fire is where I usually buy my Gunpla in person, since they have a decent selection and their High Grade prices are pretty reasonable (mostly), but if I'm hankering for a Real Grade, online is the best option.

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

HG Zaku Half Cannon coming to the Origin line. I'm a sucker for a shoulder mounted minigun.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Off to Tokyo, packed a second suitcase in my other suitcase. Made sure I can fit all my clothes in the smaller of the two.

I'm doing this right, right?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Puddin posted:

Off to Tokyo, packed a second suitcase in my other suitcase. Made sure I can fit all my clothes in the smaller of the two.

I'm doing this right, right?

If you want to do it RIGHT, you'll get a hockey bag.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh man, I still need to pick out the best places for Gunpla/Gundam and NJPW in Tokyo when I visit for Christmas.

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

Some preliminary shots of the PG Strike I built:

Lighting is poo poo, but god drat do I love this kit. Still need to build the Skygrasper + Alie pack, then get some decent decals and lining + a few touch ups.

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010

Taintrunner posted:

Oh man, I still need to pick out the best places for Gunpla/Gundam and NJPW in Tokyo when I visit for Christmas.

Other than Odaiba as the obvious place to go, here's what I've got for Akihabara:

• Yodobashi Camera
  • Gundam Cafe
  • Mandarake (There are also locations in Shibuya and Nakano Broadway)
  • Yellow Submarine
  • Surugaya

You will be around when the Gundam 4v4 VR arcade demo is happening at Shinjuku VR Zone. I'll be in Tokyo at the end of November so I'm hoping it's not too packed so I get a chance to check that out.

If anyone else has good places to go in Tokyo and Osaka I'd be happy to hear them.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

That Gobbo posted:

Other than Odaiba as the obvious place to go, here's what I've got for Akihabara:

• Yodobashi Camera
  • Gundam Cafe
  • Mandarake (There are also locations in Shibuya and Nakano Broadway)
  • Yellow Submarine
  • Surugaya

You will be around when the Gundam 4v4 VR arcade demo is happening at Shinjuku VR Zone. I'll be in Tokyo at the end of November so I'm hoping it's not too packed so I get a chance to check that out.

If anyone else has good places to go in Tokyo and Osaka I'd be happy to hear them.

Seconding Yodobashi Camera. I haven't been to the Akiba store because I never go to Tokyo but Yodobashi anywhere is legitimately the best store in Japan for models and hobby supplies.

Important to note also that Mandarake is a second hand store so it's better for finding the odd rarity rather than regular stock items.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Super helpful, thanks!

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Sofmap have 3 or 4 stores along the Akiba strip as well. Prices are pretty good too.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

I really want to visit one of the stores that sell the kits parted out. As well as replacing some missing parts without paying out the rear end for spares to the UK I also want to see what sort of monstrosity I could end up with purely buying parts.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

You totally left out Nakano Broadway, which has all sorts of cool shops.

Edit: Whoops, yes you did.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Yodobashi Camera is indeed amazing. Funnily enough, though, it didn’t have the one kit I was looking for - the MG Turn X. I eventually got it in Hobby Center Hiroshima, which was remarkable in its own right - it was this tranquil little underground temple to plastic models, hidden away beneath the commercial district.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Oh hey, 1999 got the Dark Horn Harry Special Versi- waaaaaait a loving second

:circlefap: I never thought I'd see a Sturm Tyrann HMM kit.

There's also a Sturm unit for the Berserk Fury accessory pack if you don't wanna blow 9600 yen.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

parabolic posted:

HG Zaku Half Cannon coming to the Origin line. I'm a sucker for a shoulder mounted minigun.

Can't unsee the Haro on the right thigh/knee

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Gunpla is freedom

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Guy Goodbody posted:

Gunpla is freedom

these are the two genders

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Hey, whatever works for ya.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Replace the head on the right and you've got your own custom evangelion.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
If anyone of the guys that are coming to Japan are looking for the Dendrobium, Yodabashi Camera in Akiba have 3 of the sucker. Bring a spare suitcase.

Heaps of old re-issued kits as well.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Guy Goodbody posted:

Gunpla is freedom

Gundam RX-78-2 Ver.Hirano Kouta

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

I suspect this is the start of a very slippery slope...

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Got the MG FA-78 (Thunderbolt), which I planned to use as training for the Psycho Zaku. Any advice before I dive in? I’ve previously built HGs, IBO 1/100s, and the MG Turn A and Turn X.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Just finished this up:

Vidar looks so much better without those ridiculous side-skirts.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Darth Walrus posted:

Got the MG FA-78 (Thunderbolt), which I planned to use as training for the Psycho Zaku. Any advice before I dive in? I’ve previously built HGs, IBO 1/100s, and the MG Turn A and Turn X.

Be very careful with the joint cover material. It can bunch up and tear quite easily.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Darth Walrus posted:

If you plan on doing watersides and matte coating, I highly recommend never actually putting the gundam together until every part is assembled, and when making the arms and legs decal and matte first, then go back and put the elbow/knee cloth on, then assemble.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

why is your foot so smaaaaaaaaaallllllll?

also thanks to the magic of extra parts, I can put those green GN orb things on both sides of each leg. Just requires some extra trimming and some glue. Full custom :toot:

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

I'd say those are big considering how horribly tiny the feet on a lot of the 00 designs are.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Does Bandai or that Figma company ever do superhero models, like Iron Man, etc?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Arcsquad12 posted:

I know Kotobukiya does a lot of superhero stuff. I really like this Ms. Marvel:

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Arcsquad12 posted:

Like Iron Man, yeah!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

That actually looks quite cool. Though I've come to get annoyed at modern SF helmet designs looking like they're actively trying to crush the wearer's face in.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

There were a bunch of Iron Man Figmas around the time of the first movie. There was a Sci Fi Revoltech line that has a bunch of superhero stuff.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Arcsquad12 posted:

That actually looks quite cool. Though I've come to get annoyed at modern SF helmet designs looking like they're actively trying to crush the wearer's face in.

His partner is actually worse. There's no way a human head could fit in that

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Bandai did a p. decent MG-ish Batman ver.Arkham as part of its SpruKits line along with a few slightly dodgier ones of other DC dudes. Line never really took off.

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
I did the 'Level 3' Halo Master Chief sprukit and I was surprised how decent it was. It was only 15 bucks on Amazon (though it looks like it originally retailed for 50 dollars which is WAAAY too much).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

That Gobbo posted:

I did the 'Level 3' Halo Master Chief sprukit and I was surprised how decent it was. It was only 15 bucks on Amazon (though it looks like it originally retailed for 50 dollars which is WAAAY too much).

Same, still need to go back and work on it more, was doing some detail painting and planning on testing weathering on it when I broke my arm.