Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Immanentized posted:

Their sales point at a wholesale level enables them to afford a wide distribution of price points past the individual vendor. That coupled with the fact that they offer a wide variety of sub-product and stuff like paints, brushes, rule books, supplements and the like gives them an easy market capitalization. Consider this with the fact that the product arm is made up of enthusiasts and the corporation is a major, major player in a niche industry for 30ish years and you have a productive business model.

You really don't need crazy profit margins to be successful or to maintain business. Solid, sustained return on production costs enables the possibility of staggered increases on offerings and new markets while satisfying operational needs.
This and the fact that the GW stores do offer facilities that Amazon can't and will never try to. Also 10% isn't anywhere near high enough to overcome the "right now" value of just picking things up off the shelf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

THE RAGGY posted:

I've always liked the idea that the Emperor crafted each primarch to have different strengths and purpose. It has always felt to me like Leman Russ and the wolves were bred to put down other legions, to terminate them if poo poo went wrong.

They weren't called the Emperor's Executioners for nothing.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Groetgaffel posted:

They weren't called the Emperor's Executioners for nothing.

And he implied to Bjorn that the Wolves were used to destroy the II and XI legions, whose survivors were then absorbed by the Ultramarines.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Cythereal posted:

And he implied to Bjorn that the Wolves were used to destroy the II and XI legions, whose survivors were then absorbed by the Ultramarines.
Which might help to explain why the XIII's geneseed is the most stable in the 41st millennium; they've pulled genetic material from a much larger pool, and quite possibly might be natural blend of three different sets of geneseed that melded naturally over time as opposed to AdMech haphazardly mashing a bunch of them together all at once, which led to the cursed founding.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Alternative pants posted:

I just discovered a Games Workshop an Apple store in Oklahoma City. I went in to price some terminators and paints iPads, and damned if they weren't at least 10% more than Amazon. In all seriousness, how does the company stay in business?

Do you realize how silly this sounds? Did you walk into the bookstore next door and see that they charged almost 30% more for their books than Amazon, too? Crazy, huh? It's almost like online retailers can afford thinner margins because they don't have the costs associated with a static location... Top tip: You can get at least 15% off shopping through Ebay instead.

They stay in business because they are the only one who sells you that product. You can't get Space Marine Terminators or Eldar from anyone else. They produce a specific product and people want to purchase it.

And GW is always going to charge full price - why would they charge a discount on its own product and undercut the independent brick and mortar retailers?

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Quit stinking up the lore talk. Go talk about brick and mortar bullshit in the death thread.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3820183

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
No one should ever read the unhealthy obsession thread.

THE RAGGY
Aug 17, 2014

Groetgaffel posted:

Which might help to explain why the XIII's geneseed is the most stable in the 41st millennium; they've pulled genetic material from a much larger pool, and quite possibly might be natural blend of three different sets of geneseed that melded naturally over time as opposed to AdMech haphazardly mashing a bunch of them together all at once, which led to the cursed founding.

I've never considered that, it's a really good point. I'd love to see a bit more material on the expunged legions all the same.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

THE RAGGY posted:

I've never considered that, it's a really good point. I'd love to see a bit more material on the expunged legions all the same.

I'm sure we'll get a 15-book series in a few years.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

https://youtu.be/NOUEcdjoCXY
:neckbeard:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

:munch:

Also, BRO TRIP 40,000: A Tale of Two Primarchs - Episode : Cata-can Capers https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDFwgOFYF-M

I don't know anything about Sly Marbo but I think anything I find on Lexicanum or whatever would ruin the magic. :allears:

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

In hindsight, that was a stupid as hell thing to post. Getting back to the lore, I just finished rereading the Void Stalker and was wondering if the Night Lords get any real mention in the material following the Fall of Cadia.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

The ship's name is...Heinous SirArmaduke?

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Highness Ser Armaduke. :eng101:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Hieronymous Sondar

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

In hindsight, that was a stupid as hell thing to post. Getting back to the lore, I just finished rereading the Void Stalker and was wondering if the Night Lords get any real mention in the material following the Fall of Cadia.

The night lords as a fallen legion are out and about in various spots in the current lore but their new prophet hasn't gotten a mention I don't think.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

Not yet. There is a small part of the fan base asking for a deciumus book or trilogy.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

MariusLecter posted:

:munch:

Also, BRO TRIP 40,000: A Tale of Two Primarchs - Episode : Cata-can Capers https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDFwgOFYF-M

I don't know anything about Sly Marbo but I think anything I find on Lexicanum or whatever would ruin the magic. :allears:

More like enhance it. Rambo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCMNWAJiz5Y

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Huh, what do you know! This was in the suggested videos too; 40 Facts and Lore on Sly Marbo Warhammer 40k

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

So I've got a new audible credit and some mindless stuff to do in a week or so and an audiobook would be a welcome distraction.

So I fancy some non-astartes focused stuff, specifically.

Watchers of the Throne (I've already read the Carrion Throne)

or

The Horusian Wars.

Any recommendations which?

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Deptfordx posted:

So I've got a new audible credit and some mindless stuff to do in a week or so and an audiobook would be a welcome distraction.

So I fancy some non-astartes focused stuff, specifically.

Watchers of the Throne (I've already read the Carrion Throne)

or

The Horusian Wars.

Any recommendations which?

I'd say that the first Horus Heresy book by Abnett is better than Watchers of the Throne, which btw isn't that similar to the Carrion Throne. But it sorta depends on if you want to catch up a bit with the current storyline of 40k or start slogging through 42(so far) books about space marines.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

No, no, no. I am fully up to speed on 40k/Heresy stuff. I am basically Black Librarys bitch at this point. I was talking about choosing from the recent releases which I hadn't got around to yet.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Deptfordx posted:

No, no, no. I am fully up to speed on 40k/Heresy stuff. I am basically Black Librarys bitch at this point. I was talking about choosing from the recent releases which I hadn't got around to yet.

Ah. I haven't read the later Heresy books so idk about them.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

I think the point of confusion is that the Horusian Wars is another entirely separate series from the Horus Heresy. I haven't read the, so I have no clue about their quality.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Deptfordx posted:

Horusian wars was OK, like a thinner version of Ravenor/Eisenhorn focusing on the inquisition forming into weirder factions. Carrion Throne was decent, Watchers better.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

The Rat posted:

I think the point of confusion is that the Horusian Wars is another entirely separate series from the Horus Heresy. I haven't read the, so I have no clue about their quality.

Oh, I had no idea. It sounds kinda dope though.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Immanentized posted:

Horusian wars was OK, like a thinner version of Ravenor/Eisenhorn

Yeah, if they'd put Ravenor on audible yet I'd snap it up, but I suspect BL having recently acknowledged the most popular audiobook site in the world exists, is still going to still try some nonsense with releasing stuff first on their site where they can price gouge, then release them on Audible a few weeks/months down the line.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

I don't think I've seen advertising for a book quite like this before.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

THE RAGGY posted:

Eh. I'd like more hints and references, but in all honesty nothing GW could come up with would meet expectations through no fault of their own.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It would be amazing if the missing two were destroyed out of jealousy for being greater than the Emperor himself.

THE RAGGY
Aug 17, 2014

The Iron Rose posted:

Eh. I'd like more hints and references, but in all honesty nothing GW could come up with would meet expectations through no fault of their own.

You're right. It would be like getting that hot girl from work to go home with you before finally unwrapping and realising it's all wonderbra and spanks.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

moths posted:

It would be amazing if the missing two were destroyed out of jealousy for being greater than the Emperor himself.

Boom, point made. I would hate that revelation because I like the idea that two primarchs of varying degrees of hosed are still out there somewhere and somehow.

Like, I'm sure with a good writer they could do a decent book series about it but it'd inevitably disappoint everyone who had their own... headcanon, I guess the word would be. Best to just keep leaving ominous hints, I think.

THE RAGGY
Aug 17, 2014

Wasn't there some weird theory about one of the lost Primarchs being the all powerful dude from the Warhammer universe? and that their world was lost in the eye of terror?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

There was a running theory that Sigmar was one of the lost Primarchs, as the day he was born was when the twin-tailed comet flew across the sky, he was supposed to tower over other men and he unified the tribes of man into a single empire, and after ruling for 50 years he marched off to the mountains to the east of the kingdom and was never seen again, and ascended to godhood in the mountains. If you assume that the twin-tailed comet was actually a ship crash-landing and he was found instead of born, and that the Warhammer Fantasy setting is in the eye of terror, the rest kinda matches up with other Primarchs? It's not canon, but I like it as a theory because it helps explain where/why Chaos randomly popped up in the history of the Fantasy setting.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The Iron Rose posted:

Best to just keep leaving ominous hints, I think.

Ultimately, you're right. Unless it's something mind-blowing awesome, any revelation is going to feel tacked on.

Given how each Primarch represents some aspect of the Emperor, it follows that the missing two would represent something within himself that he is ashamed of, or causes him disgust or embarrassment. Or something he needed to suppress to achieve what he did.

It would be a peek directly into the psyche of the God Emperor in his prime, which feels like overexplaning. There's a good story to be told about how deleting two aspects of his person sparked the imbalance that fostered the Heresy, but I'm not going to be the one to tell it.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Warhammer Fantasy had some pretty blatant crossover with 40k back in the 4th edition/Rogue Trader era. It was phased out over time, but you could legit have a Chaos Lord on a dragon waving a multi-melta around.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
I did like that one fan-fic thing where one of the lost Primarchs was sent off to fight the tyranids in their home galaxy. They manage to kick their asses using dark age tech and found a second imperium without any of the issues the main one does. Now the tyranids are swarming into our galaxy because they are running from the Primarch chasing them around.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
One of the Horus Heresy black books, Inferno I think, heavily implies that at least one of the two lost legions was destroyed after being compromised by a race of mind-controlling xenos.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yeah during the earlier days when copyright in gaming companies was a thing they'd worry about if they survived their first year GW just straight up yoinked Grell from D&D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Trast posted:

I did like that one fan-fic thing where one of the lost Primarchs was sent off to fight the tyranids in their home galaxy. They manage to kick their asses using dark age tech and found a second imperium without any of the issues the main one does. Now the tyranids are swarming into our galaxy because they are running from the Primarch chasing them around.

Haha I know exactly which one you're thinking of and had it in my mind this entire conversation.

That's the other thing though. Explicitly spelling things out ruins otherwise fantastic fics like that.