Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I like the idea of spending a little bit of time with the post-kick the can kids since the original episode doesn't address that at all and just has them run off into the wilderness, but they didn't do anything interesting with it. Plus making Scatman Crothers a wandering figure who does it all the time makes the premise less interesting + him denying youth to the cranky old guy way more cruel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Oh poo poo, more Vincent Price facial expressions!

BRING IT

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
This is really a killer combo, both are must-sees. I think I like Twice Told Tales even more than Tales of Terror.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I've seen them both, but agreeing with Base, they're great.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The problem with the Twilight Zone movie is that only one segment had any value in being remade, the other three are either pointless or just lousy. There are so many episodes that would have been fantastic, either because they had a great seed of an idea that was mishandled or just because they would've been more fun to see updated, but instead they went with "time-travelling racist" and "cocoon 2". Twilight Zone, at its best, was a whirligig of vibrant, creative, and haunting ideas, and the movie squanders that entirely.

I think the problem was that they killed two young children making it

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Hollismason posted:

I think the problem was that they killed two young children making it

I like this searing line from Vincent Canby's review:

quote:

A lot of money and several lives might have been saved if the producers had just rereleased the original programs.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
I loved all the stupid twists in The House That Dripped Blood, especially the biggest twist of all, that the house didnt drip any blood.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Since I don't have a copy of it anywhere to recheck, but in the segment about the reality-warping kid, did they go anywhere with the mouthless sister who was watching cartoons? Or was it just a bit of a gag?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Lurdiak posted:

Beginning at 8:30 EST, tonight's features are...

Black Sabbath (in italiano)

and...

Twice Told Tales

followed by...

The Real Ghostbusters

and finally...

The X-files

Be there!

Live in 10!

Join the Discord!

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Ho-ly poo poo.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Lurdiak, you turned me on to the X-Files. I never watched it on TV when it was out because I thought it was a serious drama and I never got into those types of showss. Now I see they're a tiny bit campy with some humor and fun in there and that last episode with Giovanni Ribisi and Jack Black was great.

Yeah, a little late to the party, but thanks.

X-files is kind of an odd show since I know I never missed an episode as a kid when it aired on Fox on sunday nights since it always came on after Married with Chidren and then later the Simpsons when it changed time slots.

But considering that, I probably only have memories of maybe 20 episodes at best. The rest kind of just have disappeared into the haze over the years.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Vakal posted:

X-files is kind of an odd show since I know I never missed an episode as a kid when it aired on Fox on sunday nights since it always came on after Married with Chidren and then later the Simpsons when it changed time slots.

But considering that, I probably only have memories of maybe 20 episodes at best. The rest kind of just have disappeared into the haze over the years.

The first episode Lurdiak showed was a black & white one and it was really campy. It had some weird camera angles and shots like super zooms to faces like Peter Jackson or something. I thought it was a hardcore scary drama and that episode was really different. Then there was the lightning guy one which was less campy. And then last night, the bug people one which was just flat out scary.

So I guess it's a bit all over the place but during that process I began to enjoy it. I still wouldn't have liked it as a kid because I was a super anxious scardy cat.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

The first episode Lurdiak showed was a black & white one and it was really campy. It had some weird camera angles and shots like super zooms to faces like Peter Jackson or something. I thought it was a hardcore scary drama and that episode was really different. Then there was the lightning guy one which was less campy. And then last night, the bug people one which was just flat out scary.

So I guess it's a bit all over the place but during that process I began to enjoy it. I still wouldn't have liked it as a kid because I was a super anxious scardy cat.

Uh, if you're talking about The Great Mutato episode, it's one of the best in the entire series.

The best episode is Jose Chung's From Outer Space. I don't know if I'd call either episode campy. I mean they are I guess, but they're intentionally playing up the sillier aspects of the show, especially in Jose Chung, and I feel like campy implies a sincere attempt at being serious but failing.

Whatever, it's semantics, but the point is there are some episodes of X-Files that are self-serious and then there are episodes where everyone's in on the joke. The episode Home is the former, but The Great Mutato is the latter.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

I loved all the stupid twists in The House That Dripped Blood, especially the biggest twist of all, that the house didnt drip any blood.

Which itself doesn't compare to the twist in Doctor Terror's House of Horrors, he doesn't have a house and the whole movie is about telling stories on a train.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Franchescanado posted:

Uh, if you're talking about The Great Mutato episode, it's one of the best in the entire series.

The best episode is Jose Chung's From Outer Space. I don't know if I'd call either episode campy. I mean they are I guess, but they're intentionally playing up the sillier aspects of the show, especially in Jose Chung, and I feel like campy implies a sincere attempt at being serious but failing.

Whatever, it's semantics, but the point is there are some episodes of X-Files that are self-serious and then there are episodes where everyone's in on the joke. The episode Home is the former, but The Great Mutato is the latter.

Seems like your definition of campy is different than mine. Campy doesn't mean bad to me.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Seems like your definition of campy is different than mine. Campy doesn't mean bad to me.

Yeah, I gotcha. Like I said, X-Files isn't always serious or scary, there are quite a few intentionally fun/funny/campy episodes.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Franchescanado posted:

I feel like campy implies a sincere attempt at being serious but failing.

Then how in the world would you describe the Adam West Batman?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Then how in the world would you describe the Adam West Batman?

:psyboom:

Serious answer: lighthearted, goofy, comic logic, silly,

I feel like campy gets used as a derogatory, like cheesy, but I concede it's a proper description for intentional humor like Batman

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Pennywise, the main thing to know about X-Files is that it's kind of divided between stand alone episodes (often called "MOTW" or Monster Of The Week), and episodes that are part of the longer story arc.

The division isn't absolute. Some really strong episodes that are kind of MOTW still have elements of the larger story arc and kind of fit into both.

My personal preference is for the stand alone episodes as I didn't really care for the big story arc. Fitting that bias, I also think that most of the best episodes are stand alone.

The good thing about these episodes is that you can watch them individually and in any order without reference to the running story arc and enjoy them just fine without slogging through a lot of episodes you may or may not like.

A lot of really good X Files episodes are flat out horror, and some of it really well done. Some of the scary episodes are deadly earnest with little or none of the humor that the show is good at.

Some are strictly comedy, campy fun that play around with horror or scifi elements in the story.

My personal pick for the best X Files episode, Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose, is a unique mix of both the horror and comedy elements.

The whole series used to be on Netflix for years, but unfortunately has been off for a little while now.

The same episodes tend to pop up in most people's "Best Of X Files" lists, and for good reason. If you buy DVDs or streaming rights to X-Files or get a chance to watch, I'd list some good stand alone episodes that you can watch in any order without really spoiling anything in the larger story:

Horror/Scary:

The Host
Irresistible
Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose
Home
Squeeze
Tooms
2Shy
Die Hand Die Verletzt

Comedy:

Humbug
Small Potatoes
Bad Blood
Jose Chung's From Outer Space

Anyway this is from a quick dig through the episode list and all of these are what I consider Real Good Episodes. Like any long running show I consider X-Files to have had a number of episodes that are pretty "meh". If you watch all these listed episodes and don't like any of them or most of them, then you probably need not waste your time with the rest, it ain't the show for you.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Vakal posted:

Yeah I'm in the same boat. There's certain unique ones that stick out in my mind like the Cops episode, but the rest is just :shrug:. I'm remembering some of these as they show though.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Zwabu posted:

The good thing about these episodes is that you can watch them individually and in any order without reference to the running story arc and enjoy them just fine without slogging through a lot of episodes you may or may not like.

That's cool because this is the #1 reason I don't watch any series. If I don't start from the beginning then I always have to catch up on stuff and I really don't care enough to do that.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'm already showing the best X-files episodes in a two-tiered curated list.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Bad Blood is Gillian Anderson’s favorite episode

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I like little Seth Green's appearance.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
I was starting to watch it cause of Kumail Nanjiani's X-Files-Files podcast. It was fun watching an episode about UFOs on an offbrand Area 51, showing off lights from a craft dancing wildly in the skies, and I just go 'Oh yeah those are drones. They're probably just testing quad-copters, doing races and junk'.

It made me think about how it's possible that someone, decades ago, probably saw some early drone tech at an air force base and thought it was Alien tech.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I mentioned that if I were to get a cat I'd name him Sebastian. Well I looked up nicknames for Sebastian.

Ash

Now I want a cat.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Home was the scariest goddamn thing I saw on TV. Possibly ever. Really made a huge impact on me and helped solidify X-Files as my all time favorite tv show.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Ramadu posted:

Home was the scariest goddamn thing I saw on TV. Possibly ever. Really made a huge impact on me and helped solidify X-Files as my all time favorite tv show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IH0_XfxnXWI

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I knew what this would be before I clicked on it, I would have been a bit disappointed if it weren't.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Beginning at 8:30 EST, tonight's features are...

Torture Garden

and...

From a Whisper to a Scream (aka The Offspring)

followed by...

The Real Ghostbusters

and finally...

The X-files

Tonight's also your chance to win

Be there!

It is strongly recommended you enter tonight's pizza raffle.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Jack Palance, Burgess Meredith , and Peter Cushing?! SIGN ME UP

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Welcome to my house that dripped blood built on top of a vault of horror overlooking a lovely torture garden and just down the road from a chipotle

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Saint Freak posted:

Welcome to my house that dripped blood built on top of a vault of horror overlooking a lovely torture garden and just down the road from a chipotle

Perhaps when you were a child you used to camp outside in your backyard under the stars telling campire tales while roasting marshmallows, even rehashing twice-told tales because they are so spooky?

And then after you of course grubbed on chipotle burritos

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I'm extremely satisfied with the amount of Vincent Price we ended up with in this year's Scream Stream. I expected some but ended up very pleasantly surprised that we got like twice as much as I thought we would.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

We're also getting more than our recommended dose of Peter Cushing.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
I second that. I love the theme this year.

I'm drawn on the discord chat but I know it's out of Lurd's control . Being able to project the feature on the TV and chat with my tablet is neat.

Looking forward to seeing you all tonight

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

From a Whisper to a Scream is a pretty fun anthology flick and it's written by the same guy who wrote Tales from the Hood.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Wilhelm Scream posted:

From a Whisper to a Scream is a pretty fun anthology flick and it's written by the same guy who wrote Tales from the Hood.

Say no more.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Wilhelm Scream posted:

I had no idea! I've seen both of these, but they're really really good obscure ones, can't wait!

Also I kinda hope we finish filling out the Vincent Price Anthologies and get The Monster Club in here. It's such a goofy drat movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
The mind wants to watch the first one, but my body demands a nap. :sigh:

• Locked thread