Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
edit: nevermind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
It took an extremely long time for me to realize Sweeper is the one who saved the toddlers at Harry King's compound and not actually Moist. I'm still not sure whether I like the twist or not.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

The Evil Thing posted:

"Abandoning courtesy"... what a delightfully empty and innocuous description of what's been happening over the past two years. People are free to be rude; I object to them throwing things and beating each other up.

Well, too bad. The last few years have seen a resurgence of fascism, ethnocentrism, racial superiority, and others who extol and practice violence as a part of their core ideology. The targets of their hate practice violence in return, but they do it because they understand that these groups present an existential threat.

You shouldn't like the violence, but accept that one side is the primary instigator and that sometimes the only way to fight fire is with fire.

The Evil Thing posted:

I don't dispute that there's a difference between civility and justice, but the former tends to lead to the latter.

Hahahahahahahahah.

ahhhh... Haaaahahahahahahah.

Okay, Ha! Okay. I think I'm done. Both laughing and arguing with you. Peace.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Oct 22, 2017

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

How would you rank the death books

Reaper Man
Hogfather
Mort
Thief of Time
Soul Music

Even the "worst" one on that list is still amazing, though. I mean, it's like asking what kind of chocolate cake is best.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
I come into the Pratchett thread to read about Pratchett and instead get a bunch of goons being goons. Quality content.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

The Evil Thing posted:

Screaming Idiot posted:

The one thread I thought I could be free in. THE ONE THREAD.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010
Yeah mea culpa, I should have just ignored it but was in an argumentative mood and broke my own rules.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Soul Music isn't a top tier discworld novel, but it gains a full letter grade for the BORN TO RUNE joke alone

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Born to eat big dinners make me grin too.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
"We're on a mission from Glod."

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Eric the Mauve posted:

Soul Music isn't a top tier discworld novel

?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Eric the Mauve posted:

Soul Music isn't a top tier discworld novel, but it gains a full letter grade for the BORN TO RUNE joke alone

For the Dean's jacket in general. There's also the bit where he's punching the stud holes and keeps picking up the jacket back to front so he winds up with LIVE FATS DIE YO GNU. And of course, the whole thing is a reference to James Dean.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

All around, Pratchett's pun game was on point in Soul Music.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Skippy McPants posted:

All around, Pratchett's pun game was on point in Soul Music.

So many puns.

It was pun dense even by Pratchett standards.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Jedit posted:

For the Dean's jacket in general. There's also the bit where he's punching the stud holes and keeps picking up the jacket back to front so he winds up with LIVE FATS DIE YO GNU. And of course, the whole thing is a reference to James Dean.

The Wizards tend to get a lot of smack when they are holding the bag with some of the B plots, but they shine brightly in bits like this.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

I love Soul Music and all the standalones, really. Also I love all the series based ones.

I guess what I'm saying is I really love all the Discworld books. Even the ones at the end that weren't as well written.

Fight me.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem
Is Moving Pictures supposed to be good? It’s not grabbing me. I’m half way through.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

All right thread: what is the WORST discworld book?

You can't say the ones that weren't written because he died, either :colbert:

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Probably Eric, IMO.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
The best part of Soul Music is that Death shows up for the climax in "a coat he borrowed from James the Dean."

Eric was originally an illustrated novel like The Last Hero, so it's not surprising that it looks a bit dull when you read it without the illustrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

It's a tie between Unseen Academicals and the Last Continent, it's the only two Discworld books I will never read again (I will probably never read the Shepard's Crown again neither but that isn't because it's bad).

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents was really, really forgettable. Pratchett's YA books usually work because he writes them the same way he would for adults -- sometimes they're even darker than his "mature" novels -- but TAMaHER just didn't click. It's not bad -- Pratchett can't do bad -- but it wasn't that good. I also have to say The Color of Magic if we compare it to the others since it's obvious he was still finding his voice. It wasn't a coherent narrative and most of the characters are cookiecutter even for parody, and forgettable on top of it.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
I hate to say it, because I love Vimes, but for me it's probably Snuff. I don't think I'm going back to that one. It just felt like it started dragging partway through and never really stopped until the end.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
It's Raising Steam by a country mile, I could not even finish that mess. Pre-alzheimers, probably Monstrous Regiment is my least favorite.

Maurice is very good and I think only a disreputable ratcatcher would think otherwise. The Tiffany Aching books are definitely the better YA series though.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Screaming Idiot posted:

The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents was really, really forgettable.

It's a kids' book and good as such.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

gently caress that, The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents is loving great.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Bum the Sad posted:

Is Moving Pictures supposed to be good? It’s not grabbing me. I’m half way through.

No, not really, not by Discworld standards. Probably my least favorite of the "good" Discworld series (after Sourcery and before loving goddamned Alzheimer's). It's still good, just not as amazingly good as just about everything else.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Eric the Mauve posted:

No, not really, not by Discworld standards. Probably my least favorite of the "good" Discworld series (after Sourcery and before loving goddamned Alzheimer's). It's still good, just not as amazingly good as just about everything else.

Ok. I’m reading them in order of release. And I enjoyed Pyramids and Guards Guards, heck Eric wasn’t bad. But this book I’m struggling to finish.

To be clear I’m going to. I just wanted to make sure I didn’t have hosed up taste.

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Oct 29, 2017

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Bum the Sad posted:

I’m reading them in order of release.

why would you do that

i'm pretty sure no one would recommend that

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

why would you do that

I would.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

why would you do that

Don't see why you wouldn't. That's the way they should be read, since you know that's how they came out. Anything else is some weird nerds strangely justified preference,

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Yep. You don’t get burned out on any particular set of characters, and you get to watch the Disc develop.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
That's how i originally read them and it's pretty much the way i would recommend them still. Like maybe skip to Wyrd Sisters or Guards! Guards! if you're advising a friend to get to the good poo poo quick, but after that just read forward til you hit Thud imo

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Bum the Sad posted:

Don't see why you wouldn't. That's the way they should be read, since you know that's how they came out. Anything else is some weird nerds strangely justified preference,

if i read the colour of magic and the light fantastic first i'd not have continued

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

if i read the colour of magic and the light fantastic first i'd not have continued

they’re bad as a “sell me on this series” book but if you’re already committed to reading the entire series there’s no real reason not to start with them

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Order of release minus the first two.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Cicadalek posted:

It's Raising Steam by a country mile, I could not even finish that mess.

Finished it, but yeah, I wouldn't read it again. Second would probably be Snuff; I know part of the book's theme is to basically acknowledge that Vimes will have to change as he gets older and settles into his position, but god it's so poorly done it feels like fanfiction at times.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Alhazred posted:

It's a tie between Unseen Academicals and the Last Continent, it's the only two Discworld books I will never read again (I will probably never read the Shepard's Crown again neither but that isn't because it's bad).

Last Continent is pretty high on my re-read list, just because I find the wizards B-plot amusing. Might just be me being a biology person though. :downs:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Rand Brittain posted:

The best part of Soul Music is that Death shows up for the climax in "a coat he borrowed from James the Dean."

Eric was originally an illustrated novel like The Last Hero, so it's not surprising that it looks a bit dull when you read it without the illustrations.

It's dull when you read it with the illustrations.

And for the love of Christ can people not start the "you can tell when the Alzheimers started to set in" poo poo again. Nation is post-Alzheimers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Rand Brittain posted:

I actually ordered an Illustrated one from amazon from the UK. Was only about $9. Made sure to track one down when I committed to reading the series.