Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Farking Bastage posted:

I will soon have a 20k funeral bill on my hands.

Sorry for your loss, especially under those circumstances.

But holy balls, is that number right? The American funeral industry is a loving scam, right up there with the wedding industry, that preys on the bereaved that aren't necessarily thinking clearly. When I'm gone burn me up and put me in a can, if you want to keep the ashes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Cremation is pretty expensive too. Instead of $20K for burial you end up with maybe $17K for cremation.

I think since the estate in question is pretty well funded they're going with higher tier stuff though. On the low end it's more like ~8-10K.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah throw in the reception and it's easy 20k

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I'm going to rig up a pyre in the middle of the woods and do things right when i'm done.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Sky burial for me

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
I want to have my remains scattered in Golden Gate Park. I also don't want to be cremated.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Is improper disposal of human remains a criminal matter, or just the kind of thing you'd get a fine for? Cause if the fine for throwing me in the trash and getting caught is lower than the cost of burial, I think we've got a winner.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Is improper disposal of human remains a criminal matter, or just the kind of thing you'd get a fine for? Cause if the fine for throwing me in the trash and getting caught is lower than the cost of burial, I think we've got a winner.

I'd imagine the state could eventually sue whoever threw your body in the trash for the costs of removing you AND the costs for proper disposal.

So the answer is clearly bequeath all your assets while still alive and then suicide yourself via trash compactor. Now the taxpayers are stuck with the bill.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

It's called "abuse of a corpse" which is iirc a new crime and did not exist under common law

Also https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tri-State_Crematory

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

It's called "abuse of a corpse" which is iirc a new crime and did not exist under common law

Also https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tri-State_Crematory

Yeah, we did this one in law school, too.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

blarzgh posted:

Yeah, we did this one in law school, too.

Law school owned*

* in retrospect

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Abuse of s Corpse is a wierd crime tho honestly and not at all well defined or anything. I mean like humping one or dumping in your jungle back yard to decompose are clear cases but Weekend at Bernies??

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
If the corpse consents, is it really abuse?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Nice! posted:

Hanging around alone in a cemetery, at night? That corpse was asking for it.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Just start a family cemetery. Go see your county clerk to get started (she/he will probably know the laws/regs).

I grew up in the country and it was quite common.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

That's why it's not really a crime . Well it could be disorderly conduct or Breech of peace or whatever

They had to staple on this whole "with knowledge that the corpses family would find the actions emotionally damaging " or something .

I don't know what happens when the corpse was an orphan with no relatives .

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
No provision for the explicit wishes of the deceased as entered into their will?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Any conflict between a provision in a will and the law of any relevant jurisdiction renders it null and void AFAIK. I

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

My will stipulates that I be buried face down.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Vargatron posted:

My will stipulates that I be buried face down.

Same for the chap getting buried above you.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Couldn't you just donate your body to science?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I don't plan on dieing in such a lame way that there would be a recognizable body left. YOLO!

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

Sticker shock posted:

Holy loving poo poo put me in a pine box in the woods

Mom's alleged killer(daddy loving dearest) always wanted and pushed for a cremation, but not mom per se. One of the factors in that is my 25 year old, extremely religious, extremely shook up sister, who is local and saw mom the day before this happened. I get it for sure. This poo poo is pricey. The executor of Grandma's will ( my uncle), who is extremely well off himself offered to cover the expenses, either from his pocket or from mom's share of grandma's estate. When little sis got a hold of that info and well... 20k Funeral bill, and that's not including any monuments.

Basically it broke out like this( just for those who are curious)
Somewhat Plain wooden casket 8K
"handling fees"(embalming, handling, etc) 3k
burial vault(required) 1250
burial plot 2.5k
Fee to open/close grave 700
Flowers little sis picked out ~1k
Plus more stuff I can't remember right now

It's in the neighborhood of 20k and I can't help but to feel a bit of animosity towards little sis for going apeshit when it wasn't her money. Mom's life insurance "policy" apparently has a clause that if death occurs within a year of the start date( still getting those documents out of Evidence ), they will not pay. This situation keeps on sucking more and more.

We got in touch with a local probate attorney today and will have a full consultation in the next couple of days. He's been doing probate law in that county for north of 20 years. The guy who did Grandma's estate 2 years ago wanted an outrageous amount of money.

e: it's a good thing I declined to view mom's remains. The detective working the case told me via phone that the murder weapon was a loving .44 magnum.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

For what it's worth your sister probably would have gone apeshit even if it WAS her money. When my brother died my parents spent tens of thousands of dollars they didn't have on his funeral/burial. They got bailed out when it turned out he had a life insurance policy through work he'd never told anyone about, but my parents didn't know that at the time.

People are not merely irrational but at MAX irrationality when a loved one has just died, especially unexpectedly. Funeral directors happily benefit from it (although to be somewhat fair to them, the markup on the coffin/vault isn't any worse than the markup on any other product in that price range, and funeral homes are pretty expensive to maintain. They make a good deal of money but they aren't millionaires.)

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Jesus Christ, I'm so sorry you and your family are going through this. You have my deepest condolences.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What do you do you consider an outrageous amount to probate an estate ?

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

euphronius posted:

What do you do you consider an outrageous amount to probate an estate ?

Grandma's estate planning was north of 10k when grandad died 2 years ago. I may have made an assumption there, and I apologize for that. I know folks gotta eat and make some money themselves, but it sticker shocked me. That was a retainer to boot. I'm looking at 250 an hour with this guy, provided I go with him.

e: also my uncle wasn't happy with the job done.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What is the size of the current estate

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

euphronius posted:

What is the size of the current estate

Mom's is probably negative in value to be honest. Grandma's is easily 7 figures.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

10,000 for a 1,000,000 estate is peanuts and lol low cost . Shockingly low .

The negative estate is a different story

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

I don't know the details of grandma's for sure, but yeah. Mom's is probably negative, but she's entitled to a third of Grandma's estate which is still in probate, then I have to think about how fuckface could be entitled to her share before a conviction and I just start drinking.

This loving sucks.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

euphronius posted:

10,000 for a 1,000,000 estate is peanuts and lol low cost . Shockingly low .

The negative estate is a different story

If mom is inherting a large part of a multi million dollar estate, it isn't negative anymore probably.
Also, yeah, $10k isn't anything for a 7 figure estate. I'd be worried about paying that little, honestly.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

nm posted:

If mom is inherting a large part of a multi million dollar estate, it isn't negative anymore probably.
Also, yeah, $10k isn't anything for a 7 figure estate. I'd be worried about paying that little, honestly.

It seems that was just the retainer which is fair

If I were a lawyer I'd charge 50,000 on that estate without blinking

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If there has to be a trial to disinherit the alleged murderer then

$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

euphronius posted:

If there has to be a trial to disinherit the alleged murderer then

$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Therein lies how much life sucks for me now.

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

euphronius posted:

It seems that was just the retainer which is fair

If I were a lawyer I'd charge 50,000 on that estate without blinking

So you'd charge 5% of the estate value without blinking? Doesn't seem unreasonable. Would the same ratio roughly hold true if it were 2mil or 5mil or 50mil? Would those rise because of additional assumed complexity, or decline because at some point there's a ceiling of complexity you'd hit?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Zauper posted:

So you'd charge 5% of the estate value without blinking? Doesn't seem unreasonable. Would the same ratio roughly hold true if it were 2mil or 5mil or 50mil? Would those rise because of additional assumed complexity, or decline because at some point there's a ceiling of complexity you'd hit?

The practice used to be straight percentages yeah . It might still be that way in some areas if the country .

It gets more complex the bigger you get . It's not very hard to justify the hours with real work. What you worry about is charging too much and having the tax department looking askance at how much you charged . But if you have a large estate with multiple properties , business interests and squabbling beneficiaries plus estate tax concerns , 100,000 to 200,000 is easy.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

^^ That makes sense.

The bitch of this mess is Mom's part of her parents' estate is still completely up in the air. I have no idea what she is entitled to, nor do I see that getting out of probate anytime soon. When it does, I gotta worry about dad taking what he can take under the legal fees part of the slayer statute. At this point, her life insurance policy is pretty much hosed, and my family is on the hook for the final expenses. Yes, my uncle agreed to cover it, but it doesn't make me feel any less guilty about the matter, hence the rift with my sister.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Condolences on your loss and I'm sorry you're dealing with the aftermath.

An old friend of my dad's was shot (execution style) by his 13 year old son a year ago where I live. Hearing second hand all the poo poo the family had to go through with regards to the legal process makes me hope I never have to go through with something like that.

For you lawyer folks, what's the process for trying a 13 year old for murder? My understanding was they're basically waiting until he is 18 before they're going to try him and then do it as an adult. Not sure what else can be done other than leaving him him prison the rest of his life. Pretty sure the kid is a sociopath at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong
Depends on the state.