Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Wasn't hitting his head already a part of OG Dragon Ball? I remember Roshi talking about how Gohan found a little shithead kid who became less of a shithead after hitting his head.

Or a I misremembering when that happened?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Flytrap posted:

Wasn't hitting his head already a part of OG Dragon Ball? I remember Roshi talking about how Gohan found a little shithead kid who became less of a shithead after hitting his head.

You are not. The hit has always been part of the series, the only thing that changed was him being very aggresive to being very aggresive because he's an alien.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Flytrap posted:

No that is what happened

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

CharlestheHammer posted:

No that is what happened

Oh my green god Toriyama is truly a genius.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

TrilliontonNixon posted:

That's kinda what I'm getting at. Toriyama never plans out his stories, so you end up with all kinds of haphazard patches like this.

"So it turns out that Goku was actually sent by aliens to depopulate the Earth."

"Then why wasn't he doing that in Dragon Ball?"

"Uhhhh he hit his head and forgot!"

no one who writes a longform story for over a decade has it planned out every step of the way

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

the brain damage doesnt get brought up until raditz appears.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Meanwhile, it'd make very little sense if Champa didn't know about the Potara considering they're godly artifacts used by the fatass his life is linked to.

I would like to remind everyone that Champa's kaioshin seems even worse than Beerus', all he seems to do is mutter "oh crap" whenever anything mildly interesting happens.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Also, the point was that Toriyama has recently retconned the brain damage with Dragon Ball Minus, if you count that.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Dragon Ball is a work of art.

One retcon i dont like, though, is that Beerus ordered Freeza to destroy Planet Vegeta. I liked it better when Freeza did it because he was scared of the Saiyans.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Blue Star posted:

One retcon i dont like, though, is that Beerus ordered Freeza to destroy Planet Vegeta. I liked it better when Freeza did it because he was scared of the Saiyans.

I'm not a fan either, but it's clear that Freeza very much intended to do it anyways, since he knew about the Super Saiyan and Super Saiyan God legends and the danger they could bring him. Beerus telling him to do it was basically the last push in a plan Freeza already had.

Still, it was very much unneccesary.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Once Vegeta is good enough to take the job, that's when the truth comes out.

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Blue Star posted:

Wasn't that just a line from the dub? iirc the Japanese version just had it that Beerus also wanted to wipe out the saiyans but he was too lazy to make the trip.

e: So apparently that's the case in BoG but in Super he did actually tell Freeza to destroy Vegeta.

And now Freeza's back among the living and fighting on the same team as Vegeta. Beerus is in for some poo poo.

IWW Online Branch fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Oct 31, 2017

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

TrilliontonNixon posted:

Wasn't that just a line from the dub? iirc the Japanese version just had it that Beerus also wanted to wipe out the saiyans but he was too lazy to make the trip.

e: So apparently that's the case in BoG but in Super he did actually tell Freeza to destroy Vegeta.

His son, the planet, or him?

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Momomo posted:

His son, the planet, or him?

...Yes

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

What does Beerus want to keep his order to destroy the Saiyans a secret anyway, I doubt he was afraid of an enraged Vegeta, or even him and Goku together. I guess he figures he won't be able to get all that delicious food if he kills them and everyone else on the planet.

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Admiral Joeslop posted:

What does Beerus want to keep his order to destroy the Saiyans a secret anyway, I doubt he was afraid of an enraged Vegeta, or even him and Goku together. I guess he figures he won't be able to get all that delicious food if he kills them and everyone else on the planet.

Because deep in his widdle kitty heart he actually likes Goku and Vegeta and he doesn't want to lose his first real friends in millions of years.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Did the Beerus we know and are hanging around with confirm that yes, he personally remembers telling Freeza to do that?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Because it builds up to a comedic scene where Beerus is freaked out Vegeta found out and Vegeta ultimately doesn't care.

Or it builds to Vegeta beating his face in. I mean there's basically only two things that happen in Dragonball.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Nessus posted:

Did the Beerus we know and are hanging around with confirm that yes, he personally remembers telling Freeza to do that?

I believe Whis had to remind him. This is Beerus we're talking about.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Nessus posted:

I vaguely recall it from either the movie or YouTube clips of Super, as I haven't really watched anything but the episodes of Goku using UI.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Ya know, in retrospect if Raditz hadn’t come to earth then Vegeta and Nappa would’ve easily wiped out the earth and u7 would be destroyed

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Kashuno posted:

Ya know, in retrospect if Raditz hadn’t come to earth then Vegeta and Nappa would’ve easily wiped out the earth and u7 would be destroyed

but why would those two even go to earth without them hearing piccolo bragging about the dragon balls to a dying raditz?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Brother Entropy posted:

but why would those two even go to earth without them hearing piccolo bragging about the dragon balls to a dying raditz?

Because according to Shin there's only like 20ish planets with people on it so they'd show up eventually.

socialsecurity fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Oct 31, 2017

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Yeah pretty much, they only head to earth to get the dragonballs. And it was because of Raditz scouter.

Like these dudes were maybe galaxies away from Earth. It took them what? One year for them to show up?

edit: You mean the androids. :v:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Brother Entropy posted:

Hm good point. I guess they just live and train peacefully until Cell murders them all instead?

Or Freeza is like “hm I am running out of planets to conquer”

I think they would manage to outlive the androids long enough for cell to make an appearance

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kashuno posted:

Hm good point. I guess they just live and train peacefully until Cell murders them all instead?

Wouldn't Cell have been much weaker without Freeza and Cold's cells?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

TrilliontonNixon posted:

Wouldn't Cell have been much weaker without Freeza and Cold's cells?

Weaker yeah but how much and the impact that would have on perfect cell? :iiam:

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Kashuno posted:

I think they would manage to outlive the androids long enough for cell to make an appearance

In the original timeline, pre-Trunks fuckery, they hella did not. And that's with the extra training, combat experience, and bullshit power-ups of the Saiyan and Frieza Sagas on their side.

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

I hope Bulma gets one of those Capsule mechs in FighterZ like she used on Namek to get the dragon ball that was under that lake.

Edit: gently caress IT turn Bulma into an android, go all in!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Blaze Dragon posted:

It was. Champa called him out on it and tried to have Universe 7 judged for it, but the Zenos thought it was cool so it was declared legal.

Quitela did that not Champa.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

HitTheTargets posted:

I believe Whis had to remind him. This is Beerus we're talking about.
What I'm saying here is: How sure are we that it was Beerus?

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
because Whis said it was and Whis' context in the show is that he is always generally correct.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Stallion Cabana posted:

because Whis said it was and Whis' context in the show is that he is always generally correct.
So if we wanted to retcon this, Whis would have had to be tricked, controlled, or somehow complicit.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
My favorite "something goes wrong" scenario is what would happen if Goku survived Raditz. With no Kaio-Ken Vegeta would have floored the Z Fighters and become immortal near uncontested. From there, it'd just be the long, long, immortality-fuelled grind to overthrowing Frieza and becoming Emperor Vegeta.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Nessus posted:

So if we wanted to retcon this, Whis would have had to be tricked, controlled, or somehow complicit.

correct, for some reason Whis would have wanted to blame Beerus for Vegeta's destruction for a benefit to himself (or his family) for an unknown reason while Beerus himself didn't, knowing Beerus would believe him if he told him he told Freeza to destroy Vegeta.

Tricking Whis seems unlikely because he's always been presented as incredibly perceptive and control is similarly unlikely given that he's the strongest individual in U7, at the least, though we aren't sure where he lies on the scale with his family and friends other then Vados might be stronger and his Dad is stronger; though that doesn't prevent mental abilities from messing with him.

So mostly he would need to be complicit in it for some reason, and I'm having a hard time coming up with a reason for him to want Beerus to think that that would be a benefit to him.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Maybe this is a gently caress of a longest con by Whis and he rewinded time from before the ToP to some distant point past using something to sneak past the 3 minute limit so things could domino into success

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

The Bee posted:

My favorite "something goes wrong" scenario is what would happen if Goku survived Raditz. With no Kaio-Ken Vegeta would have floored the Z Fighters and become immortal near uncontested. From there, it'd just be the long, long, immortality-fuelled grind to overthrowing Frieza and becoming Emperor Vegeta.

Wouldn't that actually mean Vegeta wouldn't give a poo poo about the earth beyond being the planet that rear end in a top hat Raditz died on, because they wouldn't hear about the Dragon Balls since Goku's not dead? Also I feel like if they got the warning, Kami would still be like "well gently caress, guess I better see about getting them trained up" and possibly contact King Kai or something.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

someone from freeza's empire would head there eventually

tho freeza and king cold seemed profoundly unimpressed by the earth so maybe they wouldn't have bothered for a long time. either way, gero would still be making androids and eventually babidi would arrive with dabura and kill everyone

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Manatee Cannon posted:

tho freeza and king cold seemed profoundly unimpressed by the earth so maybe they wouldn't have bothered for a long time. either way, gero would still be making androids and eventually babidi would arrive with dabura and kill everyone

Add King Piccolo absorbing Kami and you have Percel's Xenoverse story right there.

God, that's still so much cooler than the actual story mode...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

The Bee posted:

With what Dragon Balls would Vegeta become immortal?