Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Opal posted:

Or worry about whatever you like. It's not a job and unless you'll be relying on it for self-defence or you're looking to actively compete in the near future just focus on whatever keeps you coming back, whether it's attempting submissions, fooling around with impractical leglocks or drilling bridges five million times to perfection.

:confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

WayneCampbell posted:

I'd rather do all nogi than all gi and my suspicion is that starting No Gi is way better than starting Gi as no gi grips and techniques are all transferable to Gi but it's not true in reverse. My gym doesn't let you do no gi classes for sometime and my transition in was awkward because I had developed such a reliance on collar and sleeve grips.

They're both a bit jarring. I'm in the process of transitioning to gi because I want to get ranked up (six years at blue) and my bottom escape game needs a lot of work... I'm also finding it difficult to get grips on things like guillotines and RNCs. More attacking options are available, sure, but the common no-gi attacks are also trickier to set up. I think in an ideal world we'd all train both and the split would be two thirds gi and one third no-gi. More gi time to learn all the extra options and problems, but enough no-gi time to stop you relying on grips as crutches, and to help you develop better weight distribution, balance and flow.

Opal posted:

fooling around with impractical leglocks

I will astrally travel to you and kneebar your soul

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.

JaySB posted:

Yeah, gently caress fundamentals.

That's not at all what I said but if you want to get knee-jerky about it be my guest.

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I will astrally travel to you and kneebar your soul

I watch Stephan Kesting on Youtube - you have no chance.

Opal fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Nov 14, 2017

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

JaySB posted:

You probably didn't screw it up so much as he just knew the escape. Also, you shouldn't be worrying about getting subs. You should be focusing on learning fundamentals, defending, escaping, recovering, transitions. Yeah, getting a sub is nice but if that's all you're hunting starting out you're going to get discouraged pretty quick and not learn much.

Yeah I spend most of my time doing those things. But it was there so I went for it.

WayneCampbell
Oct 7, 2005
You got me a gunrack?!? I don't even own a gun, let alone alone enough to nessecitate an entire rack.
Is having z guard on a squatting opponent a thing or was I just holding a retarded position waiting to get passed?

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

WayneCampbell posted:

Is having z guard on a squatting opponent a thing or was I just holding a retarded position waiting to get passed?

Bernardo has an option in gi I suppose
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZM_NeVMzs4

I tend to go reverse de la riva when people stand/squat in my half guard

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Leg locks are pretty practical and can be a natural part of one's game.

I had an interesting sequence last night:

A dude caught me in spider guard and at some point during his sweep attemptsI was in position to enter for the first leg attack position, ashi guruma I think it's called. I went for it and we ended up in a spider guard / leglock standoff.

His spider grips kept me from fully attacking his leg, but my position made it impossible for him to sweep standup or let go. I actually worked my way into the Russian knot/game over position and came *this close to a heel hook despite his grips, but he realized what was happening and basically rolled us both belly down. I'm not experienced enough in that position to adjust fluidly so it ended up back in neutral.

But then eventually we got back to that first position and I straight ankle locked the poo poo out of him. This is a dude I don't usually tap, so was pretty cool.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Ashi gatame. Ashi guruma is a big fuckoff judo throw.

(we need a version of :goonsay: in a judo gi.)

Grats on ankle locks :toot: Ankle locks are cool.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Footsie game, best game.

Nothing like having people freak the gently caress out when you start touching their ankles. Or having them look lost and hopeless in the control positions.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

JaySB posted:

Yeah, gently caress fundamentals.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Going to BJJ for the first time in three months FTW

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Xguard86 posted:

His spider grips kept me from fully attacking his leg, but my position made it impossible for him to sweep standup or let go. I actually worked my way into the Russian knot/game over position and came *this close to a heel hook despite his grips, but he realized what was happening and basically rolled us both belly down. I'm not experienced enough in that position to adjust fluidly so it ended up back in neutral.

Although the leg entanglement you're talking about might've made it impossible. From an ankle lock grip you can switch to a very strong belly down ankle lock if both of you start looking down and away from each other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaKeGtY1cfc

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Actually maybe we could do something like :smug: :agesilaus: or :smugbert: - with a blue belt.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

vaginal facsimile posted:

Going to BJJ for the first time in three months FTW

Reminds me I really need to go back too. Been about the same length of time.

drat injuries, work and health issues

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Digital Jedi posted:

Reminds me I really need to go back too. Been about the same length of time.

drat injuries, work and health issues

it was cool. Thought I would forget everything but, I didn't.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Sep 9, 2022

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Drewjitsu posted:

I just looked through my instagram, and I think we know each other. Or at least I know people who know you.

I take it that the iminari seminar did not take place in Japan, right?

It was in Winnipeg.

I was going to ask you about a guy actually - a purple belt named K- visiting our tiny little gym right now from Calgary, and iirc that's where you are, and he too was at the seminar.

(he clowns me when we roll, but he did compliment my wrestling, in a way)

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Sep 9, 2022

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Drewjitsu posted:

My blue belt is from Curtis. Jason thought me my first knee bar (from half guard) and gave me my love of ankle locks. Most of my leg lock game started with his stuff.

I don't think I know Mr. K the purple belt, but I'm pretty sure that I'm a handshake or two away from him.

That is rad as all hell and it's a small world. I got my blue belt from Curtis (via Chris Kading and Joe Doerksen). There must be some BJJ term for people who got belts from the same person.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Drewjitsu posted:

Ahh, so you're BAMMA. Awesome! I sold a pair of inspirit shorts from Japan to kading. :laffo:

I am indeed - that's why I've always been a little circumspect about where I train, because the gym and town is so small that connecting the remaining dots is pretty much effortless.

It's a small team, and it's not a high-level team, but we have fun scrappin'!

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Hello, what ear guards do you use? May someone please recommend me one?

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib

When I got the start of cauliflower ear this summer, I drained it with a needle and then wore matman soft ear guards for a month or so while it healed. I have never worn headgear or anything and they worked really well. I stopped wearing them after my ear healed but will use them again if needed.

https://www.amazon.com/Matman-Ultra-Soft-Wrestling-Headgear/dp/B006SBMZ9Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1510980660&sr=8-1&keywords=matman+headgear

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Brute headgear. (http://www.thewrestlingmall.com/cliff-keen-gorilla-mat-tape-4-maxx.html, but in adult size)

Comedy answer. :stare:

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I've used Cliff Keen Tornado back when my ears were bothering me. I would also suggest trying the new http://batstoi.com/ which was invented by my teammates as headgear that helps against impact as well as ear injury. I haven't tried the Bats Toi Mercado yet.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Nov 18, 2017

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Just started reading this thread, 2 stripe white belt in BJJ in Brisbane, Australia.

For some reason I read about everything else I'm interested in on SA but never thought to find the thread earlier.

I went to seven classes and one open mat this week. I think I'll dial it back next week so my body doesn't break down. Constantly getting tapped but can't get enough.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Which gym? I'm at Gamebred.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Which gym? I'm at Gamebred.

One Purpose BJJ in Salisbury under Professor Roberto Dib Frias

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Interesting! I haven't heard of that gym or the teacher. I was just discussing today how many black belts we have around now, it's wild. When I started (2009?) there were two in the state, and now we seem to have about 30. It's really cool.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

yeah, I first gave BJJ a try more than 10 years ago under Matt Cooper at Advanced Martial Arts, and he was a purple belt then, and there would have been 5 or so black belts max in Australia. Probably 100+ now.

e: Bob is the #2 ranked adult black belt in Gi in Australia right now, and #30 in the world

starkebn fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Nov 18, 2017

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I started there too, actually, shortly after he got brown. Left after I got blue.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I started there too, actually, shortly after he got brown. Left after I got blue.

I was in his first group of students when he started on his own after Ken Dunstall(?) left. I'll have to go and visit an open mat there some time.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Anyone else at Grappling Industries Brisbane today?

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Nah, I'm injured, but I'll be in the next one. GI are the only Australian competitions with a decent ruleset so I always enter if I'm able. I'm the only other person in this thread in Brisbane, btw.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Roberto Dib Frias defeated Anton Minenko after 14 minutes via loop choke in the Grappling Industries Brisbane superfight today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sH12eAHueo

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Goobery concept talk time!

I figured out something this Sunday! I haven't been able to see the difference between an opponent's action/movement and my opponent's mistake, and that's why I have trouble with purple belts. This has had me rushing through certain positions when I don't need to.

A good example is when I have top side. If my opponent creates a frame and starts to bridge into me, I'll whizzer and set up a d'arce/farside armbar trap. While that is not a mistake in itself, it depends on my assumption that my opponent will continue to bridge up into me. Against blue belts and while belts, that assumption will always be true - I can depend on them to make the mistake of opening up that armpit and intercept their escape with my submission attack. Against a purple or brown belt, I can't assume that's where that motion is going, so I need to keep control until they've committed to the escape.

Another example is my triangle defense - I reach under my opponent's hips and clasp my hands until I have an opportunity to turn it into a mash pass or chuck em into the air when they try for omaplata. The problem with that is my defense depends on my opponent exposing the mash pass and/or giving up on the triangle. My defense is an effective technique, and I'm quite good at executing it technically, but it only works strategically if my opponent commits the error of giving me that opportunity.

Holy poo poo that's literally chess, isn't it - black can only win if white makes a mistake.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I get really complacent with analyzing my game. If I feel like I'm improving (which at the moment I do) I'm content to just be really vague in my approach to what I need to improve or work on. I have no problem being a hobbyist or whatever but I should probably do a little more planning if I'm going to train 3-4 times a week. I kinda pick and choose elements from what we learn that I think will apply to my game and I'm a bit too dismissive of other stuff I think. Not dismissive that it will work, but skeptical that it will work for me when I haven't given it a fair shake.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Seltzer posted:

I get really complacent with analyzing my game. If I feel like I'm improving (which at the moment I do) I'm content to just be really vague in my approach to what I need to improve or work on. I have no problem being a hobbyist or whatever but I should probably do a little more planning if I'm going to train 3-4 times a week. I kinda pick and choose elements from what we learn that I think will apply to my game and I'm a bit too dismissive of other stuff I think. Not dismissive that it will work, but skeptical that it will work for me when I haven't given it a fair shake.

Well I'm a teacher and a board gamer and a coach and an obsessive dork and so I spend quite a lot of time reflecting on my progress. I'm not sure that I'm the best person to emulate that way.

A related "a ha" moment I had this summer is that a blue belt probably knows all of the moves necessary to be a world champion. In broad strokes, technique (performing the move) beats knowledge when knowledge is equal, tactics (combining the moves) beats technique, and strategy (dictating which tactical sets are valid) beats tactics.

The point of this is that right now I don't need to learn new moves - by the time I was a two-stripe white belt, I knew of at least three destructive attacks for every joint on the human body, and by the time I was a blue belt I knew of multiple ways to move around an opponent to isolate the desired limb. Learning to execute these techniques -better- mostly requires reps and guidance from my coaches. What I can work on now is making sure that my decisions in these positions are tactically sound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Got calf sliced today and felt some popping above my calf.

I can walk on it normally and it doesn't hurt much but I do feel like the upper calf is sore. I'll probably only know tomorrow how much damage has happened if I've got huge swelling or something but does any one have some experience with calf slicer injuries?

I will take two weeks off at the least and if I've got much swelling will go to the doctor tomorrow. but I'd like some personal experience to know what I might have in store if ligaments have been damaged.

Edit : I know random strangers on the internet don't know as much as a doctor, get it scanned and so on. I'm going to do that. But I mainly want to know what I might have in store.

Odddzy fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Nov 20, 2017