Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

AA is for Quitters posted:

So family babysitting can be a bad idea. Our plan to hold off on a tablet as long as possible got completely subverted. The amazing thing is the only time he says "dada" is pointing at something my husband wrote. Won't say it to his face, but he can recognize my husband's handwriting and point at it and say "dada". Ok then...

Anyone have any suggestions for a good toddler life jacket for a smaller sized kid? Ours is almost 17 months, but still only 20lbs or so. We just got a gym with a really nice pool, and I want to start teaching him how to be comfortable in the water and to think water is fun, but even the shallow end is like a foot above his head, and I'd like him to have a decent range of motion so we can start with some basics of how to move through the water so if something happens and I get pulled away from him he can get to the edge of the pool.

My parents take our early 2 year old quite a bit - we have not asked them to abide by our parenting strategies. We're just so happy they take him, we just figure they can do whatever they want. Part of the fun is spoiling the hell outta your grandkid, so I figure they can go for it.

Former lifeguard/swim lesson teacher here - don't start your kid out in flotation devices. You pretty much just have to constantly hold them and eventually they will learn to swim short distances. My Mom is crazy into having grandkids that swim, so she takes mine three times a week which is bonkers. I find taking him swimming to be a pain in the rear end, but she loves it. Only do swimming at that age if you think it's something you will both enjoy. Around age 3.5 - 4.5 is when getting them swimming will actually help them learn how to swim. It seemed like around age 5 lots of kids decide they are afraid of the water, I'm guessing being afraid of everything is a developmental stage. If you can get them swimming regularly before that stage it will help their long term swimming ability.

You will end up with a stronger swimmer if you never let them do the water wings/lifejacket thing. If you can get the kid to wear goggles, even at 17 months, that will really help their willingness to put their faces in the water. Lifejackets are for things like boats or dock areas where you might not be able to immediately grab the kid. With small kids, make sure to buy type 2 lifejackets. These are the style with the pad behind the head - you have much better odds of ending up on your back with these style of lifejackets.

When I got a jacket for my kid, there were only a few sizes to choose from, they were all weight range dependent.

n8r fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Nov 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

AA is for Quitters posted:

So family babysitting can be a bad idea. Our plan to hold off on a tablet as long as possible got completely subverted. The amazing thing is the only time he says "dada" is pointing at something my husband wrote. Won't say it to his face, but he can recognize my husband's handwriting and point at it and say "dada". Ok then...

Anyone have any suggestions for a good toddler life jacket for a smaller sized kid? Ours is almost 17 months, but still only 20lbs or so. We just got a gym with a really nice pool, and I want to start teaching him how to be comfortable in the water and to think water is fun, but even the shallow end is like a foot above his head, and I'd like him to have a decent range of motion so we can start with some basics of how to move through the water so if something happens and I get pulled away from him he can get to the edge of the pool.

My mom takes our son twice a week, sometimes more. We only ask that she puts him to bed at his usual time. Doesn't happen 100% of the time but that's OK.

My brother and sister-in-law take him on occasion too. Same deal. It works out real well honestly.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Man I miss the summer. Our YMCA had a nice outdoor pool that only opens from Memorial Day to Labor Day, and I was going pretty much daily with my 2 year old. Such a great way to get them phsyically exhausted for the day.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

really israel could slaughter all these children without our help, I just didn't want to miss out on the chance to participate
There's only one indoor pool near me but it's $11 an hour (for each of us, so $22 an hour assuming mom stays home)

I'm thinking of just getting him a monthly pass. The public hours attached to it are surprisingly limited, but it covers the whole family and it's only around $90 a month.

So glad we are getting access to the indoor playground nearby for free through Early Intervention.

Also, it seems his "wake up crying" problem might be related to nightmares? He fell asleep in a well lit area near us the other day, so we got to see it without having to go in his room... and his eyes were still closed and he seemed to be twitching as he started crying. We actually let him alone, and he eventually went "back to sleep" and slept for another hour plus and then woke up happy.

Which means his tearful "why, daddy, why"s probably means he's dreaming something terrible about me. :(

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Nov 14, 2017

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

Chin Strap posted:

As an alternative viewpoint: we never used one from 6 months old on. You are basically just holding them, but they can still learn to swim while being held. Our swim class instructors recommend against a life jack or puddle jumper or whatever because it doesn't teach them how the water really feels.

I'm just afraid cause he's so short even the shallow end is way above his head, and he likes to follow bigger kids. There's an awesome outdoor pool down the street from my house that has a max age of 8, and is all shallow, but even the three foot section might as well be the deep end. And all it takes is a horde of kids getting between me and him...

But first priority before the pool reopens is getting him to know that water=fun. I guess everything else can wait till later. I'm not going to start teaching him how to swim swim until he's at least 3, but I want him to enjoy the pool and at least be able to keep his head above water for the 30s it would take me if he runs from 6 inches to 3 feet with a mob of other kids. So long as he's having fun and isn't going to die, everything else can wait.

The gym is really awesome cause they also have on site daycare where they get the kids active too. So they're running around like banshees and he winds up as tired as me after a workout.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Alterian posted:

If my son asks why he doesn't have any siblings he's going to be told "Because you never slept."

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

It's so true it hurts

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Calvin and Hobbes is timeless simply because when you’re a kid you relate so heavily with Calvin and as an adult you can get into the parents perspective so much easier

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

This was a fun morning because first, my five year old calls me upstairs to inform me that she has dropped her Hans (of the Southern Isles) into a very pee-filled toilet. Donning a plastic grocery bag, I reached in and got it. Into the trash where you belong, Hans!

Then, about ten minutes later, I see one of our two year old twins come out of the downstairs bathroom, holding something soaking wet and dripping all over the floor. She had decided to dip a big wad of toilet paper into the toilet and take it into the living room. Her arm and shirt, and our floor was soaked with toilet water. Neat! My daughter heard some fun new words from daddy today!

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
We try and minimize screen time as much as possible, but dammit if I'm not gonna plop the 3 year old in front of a Disney movie on a Friday night when it's just me, the wife is out with friends, and I gotta get these two guys to bed:

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Grandma showed my kid the Duck Song yesterday and I've heard it approximately five hundred times since then, so I'm sorry thread, it's your turn.

https://youtu.be/MtN1YnoL46Q

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

flashy_mcflash posted:

Grandma showed my kid the Duck Song yesterday and I've heard it approximately five hundred times since then, so I'm sorry thread, it's your turn.

https://youtu.be/MtN1YnoL46Q

Wow that's one thing my kids are never ever hearing. I feel for you

I'm quite happy that we managed to get him to listen only to real actual adult songs. I mean some of the ones he loves are not really good like Roar by Katy Perry and stuff, but I'd rather watch and listen to a Katy Perry music video than insane kids songs.

While your son listen to that duck song, mine is asking for "Mozart music dad"

Anyway, why do kid song exist? We should boycott all of them

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Because they are developmentally appropriate? While we dance in our house to salsa music my son still enjoys singing baa baa black sheep.

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008
My personal favorite genre of kid music is KIDZ BOP and the like, where they'll take any objectionable words out but leave the rest of the context alone and just assume that no one's going to pick up the song's still about sex/getting wasted at the club/etc.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Because they are developmentally appropriate? While we dance in our house to salsa music my son still enjoys singing baa baa black sheep.

Yeah, getting into this a bit, children like those awful songs because their developing brains enjoy the rhythm and repetitions in them. They are also listening to the lyrics, so a lot of the old stand by kids songs have worthwhile information in them (like how old Macdonald is about animal sounds). Those songs can also easily get them up and dancing due to their tempo, which has obvious pluses for their gross and fine motor skills too.

It actually isn’t that surprising that children like Mozart, since his music has a lot of structure and repetition built it. That appeals to our brain, and some people think it’s part of the reason why people in hospitals respond so positively to the “Mozart effect.”

kells
Mar 19, 2009

KingColliwog posted:

While your son listen to that duck song, mine is asking for "Mozart music dad"

Anyway, why do kid song exist? We should boycott all of them

Lol.

Annoying kids songs all help children develop receptive and expressive language, learn about rhyming, practice recalling lyrics and singing to a tune. Kids also experiment with annoying kids songs as they get older, adding their own words and experimenting with rhymes. Yes Mozart is great but twinkle twinkle little star is teaching kids stuff that Mozart won’t. Why can’t we have both?

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
I don't think the joking tone translated well into my post. Just to be clear I wasn't being serious but it's true that we don't put kid songs on the computer or whatever here and that I tried to push for real actual songs (well if you can consider terrible pop music as real music!).

I don't mind singing kid songs with my sons and will do so ad nauseam. Listening to them is completely different and drives me insane which is why he will never learn about them until he has to. He's way way way ahead of the curve when it comes to language and can already sing pretty long songs by himself at 2 years old so I'm not worried.

And the Mozart stuff is because my father listens to classical music mostly and now my oldest wants to listen to it all the time. We never did the insane "newborn need to listen to Mozart to get smarter" thing, that comment was a joke

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Nov 18, 2017

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Pnurtis will calm down the very moment we turn on either Swalla by Jason DeRulo or Shape of You by Ed Sheeran. That’s my parenting music story thanks for listening

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

54 40 or gently caress posted:

Pnurtis will calm down the very moment we turn on either Swalla by Jason DeRulo or Shape of You by Ed Sheeran. That’s my parenting music story thanks for listening

I have never heard the name Pnurtis? Is that just a fake name you provided on SA? I googled and I could only find a Reddit post in May saying their gf wanted to name their kid Pnurtis and they were upset about it .

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
Hey parenting thread. Hope you can help with a question I'm having trouble googling.

We have our first baby on the way (I'm the dad) - a son due in March. We learned the gender last week, and while it shames me to admit this, my heart sank when I saw it was a boy. My grandfather was a very poor father and hosed my dad up, and he in turn was a very poor father and hosed me up.

I'm terrified of continuing this chain of garbage father/son relationships. I want to break the cycle, but I feel like I'm lacking the tools to do so.

Anyway. I'm trying to be proactive and searching for resources early, but I'm finding only two kinds of results - articles / books clearly aimed at moms trying to understand and raise sons, and "daddy blogs" which I've never found helpful.

Does anyone have experience in this and can recommend some books for me to grab?

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
I will try to come back later with resources in English, but the fact that you are asking yourself all of this and are worried probably means that you are well on your way to break the chain. Ask yourself, did your dad and grandfather ever actually ask themselves these questions and or were worried the way that you are now? Olde generations of parents and dad's in particular were way way different, you can and will do better.

I'm also a dad by the way and have three sons. Doing stuff differently from my own dad is one of my guiding principle. So I totally get where you are coming from

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Nov 19, 2017

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

really israel could slaughter all these children without our help, I just didn't want to miss out on the chance to participate
I like that mine has finally started improv singing with me. Improv sing everything all the time. He even improv sings his refusals to improv sing with me - he kust cant help himself, hahah

Real music is all well and good but hes a kid, if hes not PLAYING with the music whats even the point you know?

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

DangerZoneDelux posted:

I have never heard the name Pnurtis? Is that just a fake name you provided on SA? I googled and I could only find a Reddit post in May saying their gf wanted to name their kid Pnurtis and they were upset about it .

Hahaha it’s so fake. Someone in another thread coined it for my lil guy. I think the Reddit post you’re referring to was actually someone from FYAD trying to rile people up. That’s the original context.

WarpDogs posted:

Hey parenting thread. Hope you can help with a question I'm having trouble googling.

We have our first baby on the way (I'm the dad) - a son due in March. We learned the gender last week, and while it shames me to admit this, my heart sank when I saw it was a boy. My grandfather was a very poor father and hosed my dad up, and he in turn was a very poor father and hosed me up.

I'm terrified of continuing this chain of garbage father/son relationships. I want to break the cycle, but I feel like I'm lacking the tools to do so.

Anyway. I'm trying to be proactive and searching for resources early, but I'm finding only two kinds of results - articles / books clearly aimed at moms trying to understand and raise sons, and "daddy blogs" which I've never found helpful.

Does anyone have experience in this and can recommend some books for me to grab?

My husband had similar worries :shobon: my own childhood wasn’t ideal (I’m being diplomatic) and reading up on/joining Facebook groups about peaceful parenting has been very helpful to me. And like said, the fact you’re asking is a great sign.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

I'm not sure what the general opinion is, but I really enjoyed The New Father by Armin A. Brott. It leans a bit "crunchy," but it 100% focuses on the father's perspective, how to be an active (and good) dad, and deal with the various stresses / worries that most fathers have.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Another Amazon sale on Britax car seats and strollers if you missed the last one.

We used the carrier when our little guy was new and the stroller is still getting plenty of use.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

WarpDogs posted:

My dad had a very short temper and I inherited it. He never knew what to do with me except stuff we both happened to be interested in. When I saw I was having a son, I stayed terrified it would be the same for him. The mommy blogs of raising children are a great thing for me. I see what's normally expected and try to follow that as best I can, in addition to working on my temper\mood swings with medication. Feel free to talk it out here too. Before he was born, this thread kind of became the spot where I realized I wasn't a clueless idiot and I'd be ruining my son's life. I feel more informed just reading and talking when I need to around here.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I would totally recommend the documentary “the mask you live in”, it’s on Netflix and all about the culture of masculinity and how it affects boys. I think speaking as a mom, seeing my husband being so affectionate and so hands on shows me what a great dad he is. I don’t think this applies to moms or dads in particular but not sweating the small stuff is a big thing. When that lil baby is shrieking and wailing and flailing it might be easy to get frustrated but remind yourself that they’re learning. They don’t know, we do. We owe them our patience, and they deserve to have their feelings met with compassion and care. I found and still find reminding myself of that is helpful.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

We don’t know either.

nyerf
Feb 12, 2010

An elephant never forgets...TO KILL!
^^ what they said.

There's also the whole sex vs gender/biological Vs social, and the gender as a spectrum issues.

Really noone knows anything, do the best you can to model the best person you can be :shrug:

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Getting Jasper to eat a chicken dinner is like pulling teeth. If I open a can of herring or sardines for dinner? Its like I'm giving him dessert for dinner. :sigh:

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Kids are gross. My son declared he liked liverwurst and actually ate it.

Picked up a Stampede pedal less bike for my son's 3rd birthday. Can't recommend it enough. Dude took to it quickly and can do 3 miles after a week of riding

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Balance bikes are great and mine has loved his since he turned two basically, definitely the favorite "toy" he owns. After that comes a Radio Flyer any direction wheely car thing, unit blocks and various cars. You could get rid of pretty much every other thing we owned and those four would keep him entertained.

Anyway, I want to talk shows again. The older mine gets, the less I can tolerate most childrends entertainment, and frankly hes not much interested in much beyond car based youtube shovelvideos. Sarah and Duck, along with Puffin Rock, are the only two I am still alright with.

Daniel Tiger I specifically hate. I hate the style, I hate the characters, I hate the songs, I hate the lessons it teaches.

He did like some bits of the samsara videos that were suggested before but... not very much, certainly not enough to buy them right now.

I have found something he seems to enjoy that we can watch together without it consuming him though - the primitive technology channel! Which is pretty cool, getting him to just watch videos of a guy building stuff. (he particularly likes the bits with fire though, kid loves fire) And then I realized probably his favorite videos of the cars are when people play with them, so...

Any other good toddler appropriate suggestions for people just... making stuff or doing stuff? I figured maybe I'll find some videos of like... sculptors working with clay, or someone doodling dinosaurs, and other stuff that's... not flashy and attention demanding or trying to drag them in with colours and songs, but just something where he can watch people doing things he'll find interesting.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Nov 27, 2017

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

What's wrong with Daniel Tiger? Specifically the lessons it teaches? I mean it's like the one show that's award winning for high quality children's programming...

I don't find it hard to tolerate any show for 11-13 minutes which is episode length now for a kid's show. You could also just not do screen time if you don't like anything. My kid can only do a single episode before he bolts outside with dogs and does god knows what.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

You could always go with How It's Made, which is basically just 5-7 minute videos showing how a specific thing is made (like baseballs or mosquito coils). It's pretty much the opposite of flashy or grabbing, it's just video of the actual production process with simple background music and low-key narration. It's not exactly kid-focused so sometimes the explanations and terminology might be beyond him, but I don't think it would be an issue.

I assume that you could use that to springboard recommendations on similar shows through netflix/amazon/etc.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

GlyphGryph posted:

Balance bikes are great and mine has loved his since he turned two basically, definitely the favorite "toy" he owns. After that comes a Radio Flyer any direction wheely car thing, unit blocks and various cars. You could get rid of pretty much every other thing we owned and those four would keep him entertained.

Anyway, I want to talk shows again. The older mine gets, the less I can tolerate most childrends entertainment, and frankly hes not much interested in much beyond car based youtube shovelvideos. Sarah and Duck, along with Puffin Rock, are the only two I am still alright with.

Daniel Tiger I specifically hate. I hate the style, I hate the characters, I hate the songs, I hate the lessons it teaches.

He did like some bits of the samsara videos that were suggested before but... not very much, certainly not enough to buy them right now.

I have found something he seems to enjoy that we can watch together without it consuming him though - the primitive technology channel! Which is pretty cool, getting him to just watch videos of a guy building stuff. (he particularly likes the bits with fire though, kid loves fire) And then I realized probably his favorite videos of the cars are when people play with them, so...

Any other good toddler appropriate suggestions for people just... making stuff or doing stuff? I figured maybe I'll find some videos of like... sculptors working with clay, or someone doodling dinosaurs, and other stuff that's... not flashy and attention demanding or trying to drag them in with colours and songs, but just something where he can watch people doing things he'll find interesting.

I think I mentioned it earlier in the thread as well. But my son loves the show Dirt Every Day on Netflix

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

DangerZoneDelux posted:

What's wrong with Daniel Tiger? Specifically the lessons it teaches? I mean it's like the one show that's award winning for high quality children's programming...

I clearly have very different opinions from the people who hand out awards, because that show is, imo, absolute garbage. I've generally found "awards" for "quality" in entertainment are just popularity contests, although it might be the best of the "popular" kids shows. Doesn't matter, I still hate it with a passion, every single thing about it drives me up the wall and I don't think there's a single kid-targeted show I manage to hate more.

quote:

Dirt Every Day

Thanks for these, will try them out. I do remember the Dirt Every Day video being mentioned, now, but I'd completely forgotten it at the time.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Someone hasn't seen Cailou!

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

GlyphGryph posted:

Primitive Technology on youtube is pretty neat. I've no idea how long it'd hold a toddler's attention though.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

That is what hes been watching yeah. He specifically loves the bit where he makes "Fia! Fia!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
My kids just want to watch car stuff, car simulators driving in cities, this weird video game were cars drive on paths in the sky and can fall off, or other racing games, basically other peoples video taped games...