Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Count of Monte Cristo, a famous novel of the French revolution

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Boys read superhero comic's

MEN read Middle English chivalric romances

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
uhh, no, this is what men read

whatevz
Sep 22, 2013

I lack the most basic processes inherent in all living organisms: reproducing and dying.

whatevz fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Apr 25, 2022

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

What on earth is wrong with the people that post in this thread

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

CestMoi posted:

What on earth is wrong with the people that post in this thread

reading is how the devil enters your soul

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!

A human heart posted:

It's nice to see originality alive and well in the comic book superhero fandom

It was an homage. I liked the joke. I even changed it up a little to avoid copyright infringement. You know, like they did with Batman to avoid comparisons with the Count of

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Count of Monte Cristo, a famous novel of the French revolution

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Earnestly posted:

It was an homage. I liked the joke. I even changed it up a little to avoid copyright infringement. You know, like they did with Batman to avoid comparisons with the Count of

I humbly request that you never post again.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Im glad me posting about reading the count of Monte Cristo has outed so many retards

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

VileLL posted:

fell into complete, joyous religious conversion after i realised that 'jesus' was the Green Lantern of the 1st centurey

Stole that joke and it got a good laugh, so well done to you sir

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i tried to think up some funny ones but i dont know any super heros :(

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Powaqoatse posted:

reading is how the devil enters your soul

supposedly Metternich said that the three discoveries which most destabilized Europe were America, gunpowder, and the printing press. ban books save a life.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

There are for sure a lot of weird & hilarious pamphlets & tracts insulting European countries/rulers/religions/etc so I'd wager that claim has merit.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

fridge corn posted:

Im glad me posting about reading the count of Monte Cristo has outed so many retards

wait and hope.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
you either die a Mancuso or live long enough to see yourself become a Reilly

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
dorian gray is a little shitstain, im looking forward to his suffering

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

idk I'm gonna look down upon the city of Paris (I'm Jean Valjean you see) and whisper "Non!"

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Wiley Cash has a new book out. Very hype.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

J_RBG posted:

Boys read superhero comic's

MEN read Middle English chivalric romances

this but unironically

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Let me just read an american who is a 'new york times best selling author'

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

A human heart posted:

Let me just read an american who is a 'new york times best selling author'

It's a good plan to find some good reads! Best of luck.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Can't wait to read something by a guy who isn't even the best writer named Wiley

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

CestMoi posted:

Can't wait to read something by a guy who isn't even the best writer named Wiley

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

To whoever recommended Ali Smith: thank you! I finished Autumn and thought it was very nice. It seems Winter isn't at my local library yet so would anyone mind recommending me another of her books in the meantime? Or is any one of the previous ones a good choice?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

sat on my keys! posted:

To whoever recommended Ali Smith: thank you! I finished Autumn and thought it was very nice. It seems Winter isn't at my local library yet so would anyone mind recommending me another of her books in the meantime? Or is any one of the previous ones a good choice?

I think her breakout was Hotel World? At least that's the one I kept hearing about before I read her. I liked How to Be Both better tho.

Antwan3K
Mar 8, 2013

Guy A. Person posted:

I think her breakout was Hotel World? At least that's the one I kept hearing about before I read her. I liked How to Be Both better tho.

Yes How To Be Both is my favorite, haven't read Hotel World though. Such a special book, it has put Ferrara on my list of places to definitely visit in Italy as well. Artful I liked very much as well, but it's closer to essays than a novel though it has a narrative that frames the essays.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
how about the accidental? that's the one i got accidentally.

Antwan3K
Mar 8, 2013

Burning Rain posted:

how about the accidental? that's the one i got accidentally.

No idea but the summary reads like vintage Ali Smith (family dinner gone wrong after mysterious guest appears)

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.

blue squares posted:

I saw Jeffery Eugenedies's new book at Barnes and Noble and literally gasped out loud. But turns out it is just a book of short stories. So disappointed.

Well worth reading just for the story "Air Mail" alone.

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!
I think I need to be a bit more careful when I buy translated books. I recently purchased a collection of Rumi without knowing anything about it him at all. While reading it I noticed that it all seemed rather modern for a 14th century Persian. Looking into it the "translator", Coleman Barks, simply updated already translated poems into something the average modern American could understand without scaring them by mentioning Islam. I was really enjoying it up until then but this sort of soured me a little. Is this a good way to translate poetry? How do you go about researching a translated text and what makes you chose one version over another?

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

*ezra pound's eyes light up*

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Hey, it's the last 24 hours for the 2017 Book Barn Secret Santa! Come and take a look if you're at all interested and email me if you want to sign up. If you want to join in but are busy today, drop me an email and I'll let you sneak in in the next couple of days.

Wrageowrapper posted:

I think I need to be a bit more careful when I buy translated books. I recently purchased a collection of Rumi without knowing anything about it him at all. While reading it I noticed that it all seemed rather modern for a 14th century Persian. Looking into it the "translator", Coleman Barks, simply updated already translated poems into something the average modern American could understand without scaring them by mentioning Islam. I was really enjoying it up until then but this sort of soured me a little. Is this a good way to translate poetry? How do you go about researching a translated text and what makes you chose one version over another?

lol

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Wrageowrapper posted:

I can't say I know anything about the poems of Rumi in particular but I think you should probably avoid translations aimed at the average american

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!

A human heart posted:

I can't say I know anything about the poems of Rumi in particular but I think you should probably avoid translations aimed at the average american

Totally agree but the bastards didn't advertise that on the back of the book.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Did it not have a translator's introduction or anything like that? Most good translations of poetry will have things like that where they explain why they've done it a certain way, the meter they've used and so on.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

A human heart posted:

Did it not have a translator's introduction or anything like that? Most good translations of poetry will have things like that where they explain why they've done it a certain way, the meter they've used and so on.

The guy he is reading doesn't read Persian, so probably doesn't have a whole lot of insights into why he chose certain representations of Rumi's meaning over others

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Wrageowrapper posted:

Finding out what translation you like is entirely about feel. You read a bit of a few different ones online and go with the translation you feel like you could read for however long the book is. Poetry is hell to translate and no matter what version you choose there will be someone saying it's a disgrace to the original so basically don't worry about it beyond whatever criteria you set yourself.

Maybe avoid second hand translations that seek to make Sufi mysticism accessible to the average American in future tho

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

"And the thirty birds got to the top of the mountain and they said "hey show us the thirtybirds" and it turned out the thirtybirds was them, except without a space between 'thirty' and 'birds'"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
god said to abraham, kill me a son, and abe said, man, you must be puttin' me on!