Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like the big, beefy, bulky designs, or the ones where the mechanical bits and bobs are more visible. Sazabi is still on my backlog, I also got the Efreet Schneid which is just covered in fuckin' knives. The RX-78 GP02A is just obnoxious, I love it. I wish I could find more of those!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Taintrunner posted:

I like the big, beefy, bulky designs, or the ones where the mechanical bits and bobs are more visible. Sazabi is still on my backlog, I also got the Efreet Schneid which is just covered in fuckin' knives. The RX-78 GP02A is just obnoxious, I love it. I wish I could find more of those!

The ZZ and the Turn X sound your speed, if you don't have them yet. The ReZel Defensor might be a good grunt suit, too. Got presence.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

I love Gundam designs where the backpacks are so elaborate I don't know where they end and the suit begins.

Same but unironically

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Same but unironically

A Gundam - as designed by Michael Bay. :v:

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

I finally worked up the courage to tackle these dry rub decals. So far the big ones have gone ok and the small ones ive mostly ruined. Quick question: theres a little extraneous gunk transferred around the decal. Do I need to scrape this off, or will topcoat hide it?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

chiasaur11 posted:

The ZZ and the Turn X sound your speed, if you don't have them yet. The ReZel Defensor might be a good grunt suit, too. Got presence.

Got the Rezel, thanks. I’m picky about Gunpla designs but that’s just the right level of obnoxious.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

TaurusOxford posted:

A Gundam - as designed by Michael Bay. :v:

No, that's the delta plus

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Speaking of Exias, finally got around to doing the last few decals on my DM MB Exia Repair 23.

It's definitely a lot leaner overall, but there's some bits that are way chunkier, but overall I think I like the MB aesthetic more than I do the regular Bandai one. Not to mention the parts where it takes steps to clean up the build like the actual frame bits instead of the seam line between the front and back thighs, and the extra parts to clean up the damaged leg so there's no random pegs sticking out are nice.

The build itself was super smooth too, I don't think I had to widen or thicken any holes or pegs, and everything fit perfect right out of the gate. Probably the most worrying fit is the little green scope/sensor/whatever on the rifle, which just slides between a clip and doesn't really snap in, but it's easy enough to just glue it in place forever.

On a Bandai-equivalent snapfit quality scale, DM really knocked it out of the park here. I hope they get up and running again under a new name, or other 3p companies snatch up some of their talent because this was a great build in terms of what was provided, the options available, and the quality of the product. Worst thing I can say is that they mislabeled a few decal numbers on the back page, but they're obvious enough, and they give you more than enough duplicates and even battle damaged decals which is a cool first.

Now I don't know if I should finish up the Unicorn, Deep Striker, or Ex-S next.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

I love Gundam designs where the backpacks are so elaborate I don't know where they end and the suit begins.

The spiky backpack school of design needs to die.

Spiky backpacks, Tonka Truck colours and the dumb samurai face are why Gundams are bad and grunt suits rule supreme.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Why yes, I am a Full Metal Panic completionist whore, why do you ask?

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

MJP posted:

needs more Al-Mecha Arbalest and RK-92 Savages.

Blackchamber fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Nov 25, 2017

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

MJP posted:

Are those kits any good?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Lemon-Lime posted:

Spiky backpacks, Tonka Truck colours and the dumb samurai face are why Gundams are bad and grunt suits rule supreme.

Samurai helmets I can live with, but I'd also take navy blue crimson and ochre over primary colours.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Lemon-Lime posted:

Oh come on now, there is nothing wrong with the Gundam samurai helmet motif.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Forget boring looking Gundams, check out my super weird lookin' Qubeley. :allears:

My best kit yet! I think I'm gonna give him the honored spot next to Godzilla in my bedroom when I'm done having him out in public areas.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

All of those traits are, in fact, good. :colbert:

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

Forget boring looking Gundams, check out my super weird lookin' Qubeley. :allears:

My best kit yet! I think I'm gonna give him the honored spot next to Godzilla in my bedroom when I'm done having him out in public areas.

Please do not misgender my cool friend qubeley.

DKD
Dec 25, 2011
Does anybody have a good way to display funnels? I've seen suggestions involving clear acrylic rods, but that seems to be a bit more involved than I want. I was thinking of just using wire, maybe even with insulation if the rubber's the right color, and anchoring the other end in one of the Kshatriya's wings.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Droyer posted:

Please do not misgender my cool friend qubeley.

My apologies! I should've used they instead.

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

StrixNebulosa posted:

My apologies! I should've used they instead.

Qubeley is unequivocally a 'she'.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
Also why are her shoulders so sad? They should be proudly to the side, knocking poo poo off your shelves!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

A Big... Dog posted:

Qubeley is unequivocally a 'she'.

I didn't know that! Now I do, thank you.

worthless. posted:

Also why are her shoulders so sad? They should be proudly to the side, knocking poo poo off your shelves!

I rather like the look of the cape-esque shoulders, haha.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Blackchamber posted:

needs more Al-Mecha Arbalest and RK-92 Savages.

I'm not yet ready to drop $160 on anything I don't get to build ;_;

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Are those kits any good?

The Arbalest you see is Aoshima, I have no clue - never once built anything by them.

The M9s are all Kotobukiya and if my experience with their Metal Gear Rex is any indication, they should be very nicely engineered with good detail.

That is, of course, if I ever overcome my fear of loving up my absolute all-time faves to actually build them D:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

DKD posted:

Does anybody have a good way to display funnels? I've seen suggestions involving clear acrylic rods, but that seems to be a bit more involved than I want. I was thinking of just using wire, maybe even with insulation if the rubber's the right color, and anchoring the other end in one of the Kshatriya's wings.

Use some thicker wire so they don't droop.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

MJP posted:

I'm not yet ready to drop $160 on anything I don't get to build ;_;

The Arbalest you see is Aoshima, I have no clue - never once built anything by them.

The M9s are all Kotobukiya and if my experience with their Metal Gear Rex is any indication, they should be very nicely engineered with good detail.

That is, of course, if I ever overcome my fear of loving up my absolute all-time faves to actually build them D:

I think those M9s are Aoshima as well. Koto has only done the Laevetein and Arbalest coming in April, though they did some much smaller bad kits several years ago and a couple of SD kits as well.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
i thought the Pandagguy would just be a Petitgguy with a bunch of stickers, but they actually did a whole new sculpt! The construction of the head is completely different. The Pandagguy actually uses fewer stickers than the Petitgguy!

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

DKD posted:

I picked up the P-Bandai effects part set for my HG Revive Qubeley. It looks pretty good, but it's not very sturdy so I daren't touch it now it's all in place.

In other P-Bandai stuff, I got my first ever package from them today (though I'd previously bought other out of print stuff from resellers). I got the HG Type 94 Base Jabber which was a fun little quick build, it's basically the boosters from FA Unicorn kit strapped to a frame. Now I just need an extra Jegan or something to sit on it. :3:

I also got the Z'Gok Amazing and was somewhat disappointed, though not entirely surprised to find the base kit is the god drat HGUC 06 version. The molds do look very clean though so they may have recast it recently, I guess.

(And I got the RG Sinanju expansion set too, but I'm a little embarassed how much I paid for 2 rocket launchers and a bust up head. :20bux:)

Guy Goodbody posted:

i thought the Pandagguy would just be a Petitgguy with a bunch of stickers, but they actually did a whole new sculpt! The construction of the head is completely different. The Pandagguy actually uses fewer stickers than the Petitgguy!
Pandagguy is pretty drat good, probably better than it even deserves to be. They cut a lot of corners across the line but for some reason somebody up at Bandai loves them some pandas.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

TaurusOxford posted:

Oh come on now, there is nothing wrong with the Gundam samurai helmet motif.

It's bad, V-fins are bad, and monoeyes are the superior choice.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lemon-Lime posted:

It's bad, V-fins are bad, and monoeyes are the superior choice.

GM style visors are better than monoeyes.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Guy Goodbody posted:

They just premiered a new Gundam from the Build Fighters Amazing manga. The great thing about the Build Fighters universe is that it can have any kind of Mobile Suit, drawing inspiration from over 30 decades of designs from dozens of talented designers, I can't wait to see what new, interesting,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEKB7pi1mbc

On closer inspection this looks like a mash up of all his previous gunpla. I can see the zaku amazing guns/holster and missile pods, the exia GN sword and I'm sure others I'm not spotting. It also appears to not be a new suit, just the amazing strike freedom using all the things.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Guy Goodbody posted:

GM style visors are better than monoeyes.

GM 1.5+ visors are an acceptable alternative.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Nov 25, 2017

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Jegan visors. GM visors frequently look surprised or sad.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Midjack posted:

I think those M9s are Aoshima as well. Koto has only done the Laevetein and Arbalest coming in April, though they did some much smaller bad kits several years ago and a couple of SD kits as well.

You're right, my bad, they're Aoshima. I have no clue where I saw Kotobukiya on the label.

I totally bought the new 1.5 Arbalest too, because I'm a moron but hey it's a 1.5, so it'll have something better... right? Right?!

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Luminaflare posted:

On closer inspection this looks like a mash up of all his previous gunpla. I can see the zaku amazing guns/holster and missile pods, the exia GN sword and I'm sure others I'm not spotting. It also appears to not be a new suit, just the amazing strike freedom using all the things.

It's a different color from the ASF, at least.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Yes, I also agree that GM visors are better than Jegan visors.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Eye rank tiers
AAAA
Monoeye

AAA
Big Visor

AA
Small Visor

A
Sunglasses

C
Eyes

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
It's a shame Age wasn't too good or popular if only because the Genoace head is dope.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Neurolimal posted:

It's a shame Age wasn't too good or popular if only because the Genoace head is dope.

The AGE designs in general are really good.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
A month later, I'm now officially moved into my new apartment:

Now I just need one more Seed MG with a portrait-oriented box to fill in that missing quadrant. Probably the Astray Blue Frame Second Revise.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

So, it's fitting for what generally happens to GMs.

The GM Sniper 2 and GM Sniper Custom both have monoeye scopes that can flip down to cover the visor. This is because the GM Sniper II is the coolest MS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Improbable Lobster posted:

Eye rank tiers
AAAA
Monoeye

AAA
Big Visor

AA