Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
landing moves exactly as drilled on people who know what they're doing gets me excited. usually things don't quite work quite as intended and i have to put them together with other stuff. to the point where i was baffled when a flower sweep landed exactly as intended on a more experienced guy (the most success i have with that is usually scrambling to get someone's back, particularly if they're wearing a gi, after it stalls halfway through) and after ending up in mount i was shocked into inaction while getting put back in half-guard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

I get a lot of satisfaction of finishing moves that my opponent sees coming. Like when I lock up the kimura from bottom half and they defend then I find a way to sweep, etc and get the finish.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Seltzer posted:

I also hit that spinning outside ashi garami (?)

The Imanari Roll?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Sy48qwKgrA

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I get hyped getting my armbar escape off against dudes much better than me.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Ehh, kind of. It's not an imanari roll exactly. We've drilled it a couple times. You start seated. I honestly forget the movement and it just clicked from whatever guard I had. You can post your hand to aid the spin and the pressure of the takedown is your bodyweight over their leg as opposed to foot pressure on the hip like in that video. You end up in an excellent position to kneebar if done correctly. I'm extremely poo poo at explaining these things.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Nov 25, 2017

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Seltzer posted:

Ehh, kind of. It's not an imanari roll exactly. We've drilled it a couple times. You start seated. I honestly forget the movement and it just clicked from whatever guard I had. You can post your hand to aid the spin and the pressure of the takedown is your bodyweight over their leg as opposed to foot pressure on the hip like in that video. You end up in an excellent position to kneebar if done correctly. I'm extremely poo poo at explaining these things.

So....Seated Imanari roll
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8qybmnjfn4

WayneCampbell
Oct 7, 2005
You got me a gunrack?!? I don't even own a gun, let alone alone enough to nessecitate an entire rack.

Tambreet posted:

Have people here rolled with knee braces? Like hard-plastic fancy ones? I've taken the last year off thanks to a torn ACL and meniscus, but am finally doing the surgery. I've had ACL surgery before and I know they'll give me a hard brace to wear for a year or so once I'm cleared to go back to pivoting sports. But I wasn't doing BJJ then and I'm afraid it will hurt me or my partner or get caught on stuff while rolling.

We've had like.... 3 or 4 ACL tears at my gym in the last year and they all roll with the harder knee brace post surgery.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Rash guard under gi or no?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Good luck fitting it over the gi. :v:

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

vaginal facsimile posted:

How much hisspeck you want?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

For judo I go with no rash guard. For jits I'll wear a rash guard with my gi sometimes.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
it's too hot to wear one where I am, I already sweat like a waterfall

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

I have delicate baby skin, so I wear both rash guard and spats under my gi.

I find that my knees get really chewed up without the spats on.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

starkebn posted:

it's too hot to wear one where I am, I already sweat like a waterfall

Even more reason for you to wear one. Also, I live in Las Vegas and in the summer our professor likes to leave the fans off in the gym, so come at me.

Drewjitsu posted:

I have delicate baby skin, so I wear both rash guard and spats under my gi.

I find that my knees get really chewed up without the spats on.

Same same

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Rash guard under a gi unless the school requires otherwise imo.

e- how are you supposed to seamlessly transition into nogi training after gi class without one?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Seltzer posted:

how are you supposed to seamlessly transition into nogi training after gi class without one?

Look you only get hespec when you show off the muscles you got from running around on the beach collecting coconuts before and after class.

Dr. Miracle
Feb 13, 2008

born to shart
If I don’t wear a rashie under my gi guys tend to grab big ol’ chunks of my thick luxurious chest hair when they go for my lapels, which is a drag for all concerned.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

i don't wear gi but frequently roll in classes where some people have gis. please wear a rashguard under. there's a big guy in one of the classes who doesn't wear one under and has a very hairy chest which i have spent many rolling sessions having mashed into my face and it's really gross.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Please, for everyone's sake, wear a rashguard under a gi. I have had so many sweaty hairy chests in my eyes, face and mouth from BJJ. It's appalling.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I get crazy gi burn in my arm pits if I don't wear a rashguard

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Yuns posted:

Please, for everyone's sake, wear a rashguard under a gi. I have had so many sweaty hairy chests in my eyes, face and mouth from BJJ. It's appalling.

I just wear a t shirt

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I don't like wearing a rashguard under the gi because you're not allowed to wear one in judo competition and I don't want to get used to it, but it's ok because I'm basically hairless.

e. and I wear one only 50% of the time for jits because I don't remember to bring it.

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Nov 26, 2017

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
What do you mean get used to it. It's not a big change

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

If you live in a hot enough climate it is.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

ICHIBAHN posted:

What do you mean get used to it. It's not a big change

See how everyone here is complaining that they wear a rash guard under the gi because they have delicate and tender skin? Yeah - they're not used to going without the rash guard. After a while you toughen up and the gi doesn't chafe you in the same way. I have enough situations in which I am not allowed to wear a rash guard that I don't want to become accustomed to having it.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

You should become accustomed to being a sanitary training partner.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

CommonShore posted:

See how everyone here is complaining that they wear a rash guard under the gi because they have delicate and tender skin? Yeah - they're not used to going without the rash guard. After a while you toughen up and the gi doesn't chafe you in the same way. I have enough situations in which I am not allowed to wear a rash guard that I don't want to become accustomed to having it.

IBJJF tournaments are about the only thing I can think of where you can't wear a rashguard under your gi.

And who does gi tournaments anymore? :v:

starkebn
May 18, 2004

I wore a rash guard under my gi today, it was hotter but bearable.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Drewjitsu posted:

IBJJF tournaments are about the only thing I can think of where you can't wear a rashguard under your gi.

And who does gi tournaments anymore? :v:

And 100% of all judo tournaments.

JaySB posted:

You should become accustomed to being a sanitary training partner.

I own four gis and I never wear them twice without washing.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

What if my rash guard doesn't match my gi?

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

CommonShore posted:

thats good but there's two states of man flesh, sand papery or furry, and I want nothing to do with either. please be considerate of your training partners before worrying about toughening your skin or whatever lol

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

CommonShore posted:

And 100% of all judo tournaments.

Cool. You should also wear a rashguard.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

what will happen to my powerful, callused martial artist's torso if I put a thin layer of spandex on it? will I bear the skin of a coward, pervious to rashes once more? i think not

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I collect rashguards like I collect band tees

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
if you cant wear one for a competition and you get some carpet burn or whatever else it wont affect you until after the competition is over anyway. not that i personally mind what people wear so long as they dont have leprosy

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I dont see how wearing a rash guard under a gi is going to make it that much hotter than it already is to the point where it's unbearable.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Saw some one wearing a white top and blue bottom gi

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Kurtka top and Gi pants y/n?

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
I passive-aggressively wear t-shirts and trap people's feet in the folds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Seltzer posted:

I dont see how wearing a rash guard under a gi is going to make it that much hotter than it already is to the point where it's unbearable.

I can tell you from experience, it makes a difference