Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I’m interested in how they’ll do Aizawa’s quirk, I hope it’s not just a stun or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
It's probably the lovely one they already made just with more stuff added

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Persona but instead of palaces or whatever you have internships where you go fight crime.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

RatHat posted:

I’m interested in how they’ll do Aizawa’s quirk, I hope it’s not just a stun or something.

Could probably flag every single action people can use as quirk or !quirk and make it so if Aizawa has his quirk active it stops quirk actions from being used (and maybe apply certain effects like lowering Iida's movement speed varying from person to person if their quirk would have something along those lines).

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I am very excited for the return of Lemillion

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

SgtSteel91 posted:

If that's true then his Quirk could potentially be more powerful than we originally thought. Like, he could potentially put his hand on someone and blast them away with repulsion

His quirk has always been ridiculously strong, particularly after he figured out the trick to stopping. It is basically Iida and his brother's quirk except better in almost every way (the only downside seems to be the lack of short term super speed* and the inability to use it to launch attacks).

Actually, one thing I feel like Vigilantes kind of fucks up is the fact that MHA implies the vast majority of people have quirks that are mostly useless, particularly in combat, but most of the people we've seen in Vigilantes have some sort of quirk with a clear theme that has some obvious use.

*Actually not sure about this. IIRC he said he could go even faster but just chose not to due to his (at the time) inability to brake. So it's possible he actually can go that fast.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

edit: doublepost

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

Actually, one thing I feel like Vigilantes kind of fucks up is the fact that MHA implies the vast majority of people have quirks that are mostly useless, particularly in combat, but most of the people we've seen in Vigilantes have some sort of quirk with a clear theme that has some obvious use.
Not!Cyclops & Not!Wolverine aren't doing much with whatever their quirks happen to be. Then again, neither is Pop Step. :rimshot:

The actual reason is that its still a shonen action series instead of a slice-of-life series, so the story's inevitably going to focus on more creative ways to punch a dude then the bystander who quirk makes his dandruff taste like freshly ground pepper.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
You'd never need a shaker.

theGrooseofLegend
Dec 29, 2013
He only mentioned taste. How healthy is your own dandruff?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Ytlaya posted:

How many people have we seen? Basically no one, in comparison to the sheer amount of people that exist all over the world, a world where nearly everyone has a Quirk.

Of course we'll focus on the people with cool powers, but there's a lot more out there with much less impressive Quirks. Hell, that's basically why Trigger exists, getting those people a chance at revenge at society.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Ytlaya posted:

Honestly i think that the truth is most people just don't put in the work to push their quirks to the level where they can do cool things just like in real life most people don't work out or push their bodies.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Yeah, someone like "creates jets of water moisture using the ends of their fingers" from the example earlier in the series could potentially make their quirk really useful if they put the work into it.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Dude loves the shonen genre and made videos on why he loves Yu Yu Hakusho, Hunter X Hunter, and One Piece, I don't believe that for a second

Shugojin posted:

Yeah like he really loves dragon ball and that's the very core of shonen

If he's in love with what can be considered amongst the utter peak of shonen and also One Piece, it's not that surprising that he'd not want to make a video about something which is pretty routine, while being very good, without many chapters or years under its belt compared to its aims.

It's really easy to see something like Dragonball as generic, mechanical shonen at this point but it basically wrote the rule book and Toriyama inspired almost every mangaka to ever attempt a shonen in its wake.

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained

It'll be a rails shooter, except using the machine breaks your fingers

E: Wow, i just realized my mind read "academia" as "arcade". My brain works in horrible autocorrect :(

Solar Tornado fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Nov 28, 2017

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

You could do worse than designing it as an Ultimate Ninja Storm type of game, really. What I'd prefer is some sort of mission-based TRPG gameplay where the objective can also be things like rescuing civilians, or protecting dangerous cargo in addition to beating up villains. Not 100% sure what that would look like, although Valkyria Chronicles comes close, I think.

Said game would also be much, much harder to design and implement. I regret the lack of innovation, but I do understand it.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

make it a tactics/SRPG

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

theGrooseofLegend posted:

He only mentioned taste. How healthy is your own dandruff?

Depends. Are you allergic to yourself?

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

If we're gonna deep-dive this poo poo, making use it of also requires you let a ton of dandruff build up which is kinda gross on its own regardless of how it tastes. It's... really not a great power. At best it's bizzaro Pearl Jam Pearl Rod from Jojo where you make delicious food by doing disgusting things to yourself instead.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Argh when's that Vigilantes chapter coming out?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

It's already out *points to unflushed toilet*

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Dog Kisser posted:

It's out on Viz. Some sites host the Viz scans, but you'll have to look for them yourself.

Terper posted:

It's already out *points to unflushed toilet*
Not only rude but also possessing of bad taste.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

It should be a management sim where you build your own hero academy. Manage your students, build hero training courses, build villain defense systems, hire the best heroes to be your teachers.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
It's a mobile game where you play as Mineta cleaning Mt. Lady's apartment. It makes claims of fanservice in the app store, but it really only shows her sitting on the couch watching TV the whole time.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Dog Kisser posted:

Are you living somewhere it doesn't show on Viz for free?

In the emergency Koichi managed to double-jump. Apparently he's always had the ability to float but right now he could can only float about 30cm and doesn't know how to reproduce the double-jump

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Just caught up on Vigilantes. Koichi's mom is horrifically abusive, physically and emotionally. Even though this is a lighthearted manga, it's not great that they played it off as a joke. She destroyed his self-esteem, held him back from pursuing his dreams (which he could have accomplished if she hadn't abused him), and he is so beaten down that he, an adult, takes the possibility that his mom will take him out of school as a simple fact.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Rangpur posted:

What I'd prefer is some sort of mission-based TRPG gameplay where the objective can also be things like rescuing civilians, or protecting dangerous cargo in addition to beating up villains. Not 100% sure what that would look like, although Valkyria Chronicles comes close, I think.
Make it real-time and you just described Freedom Force.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mr. Fowl posted:

Just caught up on Vigilantes. Koichi's mom is horrifically abusive, physically and emotionally. Even though this is a lighthearted manga, it's not great that they played it off as a joke. She destroyed his self-esteem, held him back from pursuing his dreams (which he could have accomplished if she hadn't abused him), and he is so beaten down that he, an adult, takes the possibility that his mom will take him out of school as a simple fact.

I get the impression that the taking out of school thing, at least, is related to the fact that the parents in these situations are usually footing the bill for the kid to live on their own in Tokyo. These "parents make kid come home from the big city" situations seem to pop up fairly frequently in manga (though usually they don't occur until after the person has finished school and is looking for a job).

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

PMush Perfect posted:

Make it real-time and you just described Freedom Force.

Man, FF was fun. It was also fun to make a custom hero and just completely break the system over your knee. I made a bunch of super-fast hulks.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Mr. Fowl posted:

It's kind of disappointing to find out that apparently his quirk had always been levitation to some degree but his mother quite literally smacked him until he gave up floating. By the time we're introduced to him as an adult all he can do is hover a few inches off the ground and skate like that.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Part of me has this weird feeling that vigilantes isn't going to have a happy ending.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

when all for one breaks out of prison, he'll take infamous criminal the hauler with him

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Vigilantes is gonna end with the Crawler becoming a licensed hero and then he'll show up for an arc in MHA to help Deku emphasize with people from a similar background as him.

Pop Step will become so cute she we'll end up destroying all other idols.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

Mr. Fowl posted:

Something really irked me about the whole thing and I think you hit the nail on the head. His mom is awful.

It sours the whole premise of the series into "What if the protagonist had a decent quirk, but his mom was just terrible".

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Shere posted:

Something really irked me about the whole thing and I think you hit the nail on the head. His mom is awful.

It sours the whole premise of the series into "What if the protagonist had a decent quirk, but his mom was just terrible".

If nothing else, thats probably a relatable concept to it's audience.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Vigilantes is gonna end with the Crawler becoming a licensed hero and then he'll show up for an arc in MHA to help Deku emphasize with people from a similar background as him.

Pop Step will become so cute she we'll end up destroying all other idols.
or this is Rogue One to BNHA'S Star Wars and everyone dies

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Roughly three quarters of the people I know online are asian and of those roughly 95% have similar parents so I guess it's just how asian/asian-american life is? :shrug:

Can't say it's healthy but I'm in the entirely wrong continent to begin talking about it.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
While Koiichi's mom is pretty bad I can understand where she's coming from. A baby that can fly is a goddamn nightmare for any parent given how curious they tend to be about everything, including things what are dangerous for everyone.

She's still bad but it could have easily been much worse. Could have stuck him in a literal cage for his safety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Mr. Fowl posted:

She didn't actually hold him back from pursuing his dreams. He was on his way to take an entrance exam to get into a hero school, but missed it because he stopped to save a kid(Pop). Even if she had, I can hardly blame her for discouraging him from following that job. Being a hero is a horrifically dangerous profession that revolves heavily around open combat with dangerous psychopaths with superpowers. I would probably be pretty hesitant to encourage my child to follow that path, too. If you compare it to the main story, even Deku's mom was going to pull him out of heroics until she had the greatest hero in the business personally show up and beg her to reconsider. Deku's classmates being repeatedly targeted by psychotic assassins and several of them having permanent scarring and injuries before they're even done with high school is a pretty strong indicator that it's totally valid for a concerned parent to maybe want to discourage their kid from following that career path.

Similarly, her having the power to pull the plug on his living in Tokyo is probably purely a financial thing. Koichi is a 19 year old college student who works at a convenience store while living alone in the middle of downtown Tokyo. It's not likely he's financially independent. If you found out your kid was spending his time in Tokyo literally breaking the law by playing around as an unlicensed hero, would you be willing to continue paying for it?

Her smacking him around is bullshit garbage but I can wince and take that as a visual gag.