Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
yeah, i think most ppl here see literature as having some intrinsic value outside of entertainment or media consumption strategy, so writer's personality doesn't really come into play that much, unless the book is interesting partly because of it, i.e., it's Napoleon's romance novel or Stalin's poetry.

from that famous paris review interview:

Billy Faulkner posted:

Everything goes by the board: honor, pride, decency, security, happiness, all, to get the book written. If a writer has to rob his mother, he will not hesitate; the “Ode on a Grecian Urn” is worth any number of old ladies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!
Alrighty then.

Thank you both for explaining that.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

I took a break from reading 10,000 papers to read The Death of Virgil. The book is good folks.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Chaucer was done for rape in France, which might mean consensual sex and an unsanctioned elopement but probably meant rape in the sense we mean it.

By the way i think Billy is talking out of his arse there, even if you are an Author, be a good person. Like if you have obligations to others around you and certain ethical responsibilities, it’s not more important you do your writing project. I see people excuse eg bad parenting on the grounds that they’re very important people. Literature is messed up sometimes

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Artists are above all human law, you idiot.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

OscarDiggs posted:

I mean, yes? Kinda? Not just books, but everything. Film, TV, Music, Games. Everything. ALL media. After all of these accusations of harassment that have come out, do you think I'm going to consume/support anything by Harvey Weinstein ever again? Kevin Spacey? I get it, De Sade and Chaucer are dead, so it's not like my money is going to be used to the detriment of the victims here, or to making more victims (I don't actually know why Chaucer needs to go in the garbage so I'm just extrapolating here. You were the one who bought him up, after all.) but is that the only reason that it's... okay to consume the media they've produced? In a hundred years can people start enjoying Kevin Spacey again? Is it a fools errand to be so strict in media consumption, since we're all human and most humans are garbage fires?

How far back do you go with that? Is it okay to read Caesar? He genocided a bunch of people, I think he was a pretty bad human being.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Ah poo poo just as i was about to read Ceaser.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

The eternal process of Literature first hinted at in the theories of the Akashic Records finds itself manifested through vessels incapable of truly containing the nature of Literature through their deeds. Literature is the work of God, authors, the Demiurge.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

chernobyl kinsman posted:

everything written after the Reformation cuneiform was a mistake

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

everything written in this thread was a mistake

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

OscarDiggs posted:

I wasn't going to post again here so soon, since I got my question answered relatively fully and had the reasoning explained to me by several people (thanks for that by the way, everyone!) so I figured it was all done with. However, there was one response I've been um'ing and ah'ing over and since they don't have PM's I can't talk to them directly about it. So-

I mean, yes? Kinda? Not just books, but everything. Film, TV, Music, Games. Everything. ALL media. After all of these accusations of harassment that have come out, do you think I'm going to consume/support anything by Harvey Weinstein ever again? Kevin Spacey? I get it, De Sade and Chaucer are dead, so it's not like my money is going to be used to the detriment of the victims here, or to making more victims (I don't actually know why Chaucer needs to go in the garbage so I'm just extrapolating here. You were the one who bought him up, after all.) but is that the only reason that it's... okay to consume the media they've produced? In a hundred years can people start enjoying Kevin Spacey again? Is it a fools errand to be so strict in media consumption, since we're all human and most humans are garbage fires?

From what CestMoi, J_RBG and others have said, the answer is more or less... kinda.

I understand this is getting off-topic and apologise if this is getting too political for the Literature Thread. But, well. It's an interesting response that I wanted to understand better.

...fine. But if the gimmick is what I think it is based on what I read in the BOTM Thread, I will be sorely annoyed.
lol

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

i never read books unless every bad thing the author did is printed in big letters on the cover

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.

OscarDiggs posted:

Is it a fools errand to be so strict in media consumption, since we're all human and most humans are garbage fires?

Yes. U.S. culture is quite idealistic, and it always has been -- our progenitors were the Puritans and the Quakers, after all. We have an unreflective attraction to pieties, whether religious or secular (see e.g. what's happening with Garrison Keillor). In reality, however, everyone is complex and fallible. People can be wise and creative on the page (or screen or whatever), and yet make terrible errors in judgement in their daily life. The traumas and turning points that make one introspective can also create psychological handicaps. A manic person can be brilliant or monstrous depending on how their chemicals are churning that day. Etc.

What I'm getting at is this: great truths can come from surprising sources. An author's bad behavior does not preclude their ideas from having merit. It would be a shame to starve your intellect out of some misguided attempt to remain ideologically pure.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

lol

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
i love to consume the media of chaucer

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
My favorite multimedia content creator is @dril, followed by Shakespeare

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
In fort Collins for the weekend and am super pumped for the bookstore above the dressshop

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I prefer to consume other people. I contain multitudes.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
whenever someone talks about 'consuming media' in a 'what books / movies do you like' conversation, i get a certain impression of them in my mind

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

i love to consume the media of chaucer

If big Geoff were alive today he'd love print capitalism tbf

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

derp posted:

whenever someone talks about 'consuming media' in a 'what books / movies do you like' conversation, i get a certain impression of them in my mind

Your selfie?

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
wow that's embarrassing how did that private personal photo end up in my post

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
also lincoln in the bardo is indeed 'good'

nabokov's 'Despair' is also very good.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

OscarDiggs posted:

I wasn't going to post again here so soon, since I got my question answered relatively fully and had the reasoning explained to me by several people (thanks for that by the way, everyone!) so I figured it was all done with. However, there was one response I've been um'ing and ah'ing over and since they don't have PM's I can't talk to them directly about it. So-

From what CestMoi, J_RBG and others have said, the answer is more or less... kinda.

I understand this is getting off-topic and apologise if this is getting too political for the Literature Thread. But, well. It's an interesting response that I wanted to understand better.

...fine. But if the gimmick is what I think it is based on what I read in the BOTM Thread, I will be sorely annoyed.

yo you can still read good books by horrible people. like Hamsun was a devout “literally wrote an eulogy to Hitler” type nazi but I’m still going to finish his Wayfarers trilogy at some point because his fiction is phenomenal. houellebecq is kind of an edgelord, but still worth at least looking into, and so on

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

for the most part their fiction isn’t a political manifesto. though ofcourse their worldview will seep into their works sometimes, like how Hamsun just can’t not portray jewish characters as sleazy peddlers for example, but all it takes is some simple awareness on the reader’s part

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I do think there is some significant danger in trying to separate the aesthetic from the political

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

which is why being aware of their (the authors') political view is good/important. and I guess as well as their intent (I wouldn't watch Triumph of the Will casually)

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

ulvir posted:

which is why being aware of their (the authors') political view is good/important. and I guess as well as their intent (I wouldn't watch Triumph of the Will casually)

every morning I open palm slam a vhs, start doing the moves with the main character, hitler, etc etc

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Here's me consuming some media

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Tree Goat posted:

every morning I open palm slam a vhs, start doing the moves with the main character, hitler, etc etc

it was a rather crude example. I basically agree with Mel, but still hold that you can like things bad people wrote

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

ulvir posted:

it was a rather crude example. I basically agree with Mel, but still hold that you can like things bad people wrote

i agree, and i think you would have to have a bad brain in a particularly internet generation way to conflate reading a book by a bad person as endorsement of their historical sins. especially since there is no ethical consumption under capitalism or what have you , and so finding an author sufficiently free from sin that you can read them “unproblematically” is a fool’s errand

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Mel Mudkiper posted:

In fort Collins for the weekend and am super pumped for the bookstore above the dressshop

He’s open every day this month. He was supposed to find another copy of The Sot Weed Factor for me and I will probably visit him this weekend too

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Heath posted:

He’s open every day this month. He was supposed to find another copy of The Sot Weed Factor for me and I will probably visit him this weekend too

Um, I just bought the copy he had

It was on the front table and I was like "hey, Its that book the child fucker thread keeps talking about"

I also told him about Aquarium and Blackwater lol

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Dec 2, 2017

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Um, I just bought the copy he had

It was on the front table and I was like "hey, Its that book the child fucker thread keeps talking about"

I also told him about Aquarium and Blackwater lol

Lol whoops

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I've been meaning to read Hamsun's Sult for a while but I'm super lazy and Hamsun was a dickhole. I'm gonna read it though cause it's a very interesting period. I just keep postponing.

I wanna compare to the Danish "modern breakthrough" writers like Herman Bang etc. By the way, Bang is very good. If you can get a translation of Stuk (Stucco), or anything really, please read it.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Is the Sot weed factor hard to find? I have that and the goat boy book.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
The Sot Weed Factor is great if you like all the females in the book you're reading to be repeatedly raped

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Chamberk posted:

The Sot Weed Factor is great if you like all the females in the book you're reading to be repeatedly raped

all the male ones too

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Chamberk posted:

To be fair, they're all the same character if I recall correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Powaqoatse posted:

I've been meaning to read Hamsun's Sult for a while but I'm super lazy and Hamsun was a dickhole. I'm gonna read it though cause it's a very interesting period. I just keep postponing.

I wanna compare to the Danish "modern breakthrough" writers like Herman Bang etc. By the way, Bang is very good. If you can get a translation of Stuk (Stucco), or anything really, please read it.

my knowledge of kamelåså-literature that isn’t hc andersen or ludvig holberg is woefully lacking, so i’ll give it a shot at some point.