Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Kashuno posted:

Somebody try to realistically tell me Goku is bad at tactics when we just saw the dude quickly understand that his attacks were weak in UI because he had to focus and then realizing he could focus all his energy into an attack and let his body do the dodging

Goku flip-flops between being a brilliant tactician and a brutish brawler. One time he's gonna do a cool slide on someone else's beam to cross the distance, another time he punches a dude made out of water and wonders why punching isn't working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

a cartoon duck posted:

Goku flip-flops between being a brilliant tactician and a brutish brawler. One time he's gonna do a cool slide on someone else's beam to cross the distance, another time he punches a dude made out of water and wonders why punching isn't working.

Goku's brain is like the rest of him, it only ever shows up at the last minute.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Star Man posted:

The only thing Vegeta wanted to change about his life was being under Frieza's heel. He'd revert right back to his old ways if Goku wasn't around to stop him.

Vegeta is literally the only person in this tournament to say he'll use the Super Dragon Ball wish to undo the universal genocide. Cabba follows right after with the same wish, but that's entirely because he's emulating his master.

Compare to Goku, who has no real interest in the wish and has said he'll give it to his wife or son instead because he couldn't care less, he only wants cool fights, lives be damned. Though then again, giving it to said son would probably get everyone living again too, since Gohan has shown genuine horror for doing the last effort in erasing Universe 10 and causing the deaths of an untold amount of people, including GodTube celebrity Gowasu.

Vegeta has become one of the, if not flat-out THE, most moral character in the show. He threw his pride away and made a fool of himself to protect everyone from Beerus, he went to an amusement park with his family despite hating any normal ways of having fun (this is still a Saiyan, fun = punching), he got extremely mad that his alternate future wife was killed and his alternate future son went through so much poo poo, he put his wife's pregnancy over training with Goku despite how much not lagging behind Kakarot means to him, and now he's made it clear that he won't let his student and said student's universe perish, even though that's the rule of the Tournament of Power.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Vegeta’s ascension to Good Damned Guy has been one of the absolute best parts of this whole series

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

vegeta got brought back to life by a wish that only revived good people at the end of dbz. he's a legit good person now and the majin thing was his midlife crisis

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Vegeta was the real main character of DBZ the whole time

e: vegeta is way more worthy of the title "protagonist" than goku

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Eh Gohan up till Buu is the protagonist.

Vegeta is more of an occasional obstacle than anything.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Dragonball was about Goku. Z was about Goku early on, then transitioned to Vegeta and Gohan. Super is about Goku and Vegeta, but has taken more care to let tertiary characters get their own chance to shine. Dragonball was pretty good about that too, actually.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

vegeta's never the protagonist but he is probably the single most important character added in z, even moreso than gohan. he's directly or indirectly (through his son) responsible for every arc on some level

he's also the only character besides goku that's been at least a somewhat relevant fighter from his inception. vegeta's either the strongest or second strongest character on the good guy's side at all times

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

vegeta's never the protagonist but he is probably the single most important character added in z, even moreso than gohan. he's directly or indirectly (through his son) responsible for every arc on some level

he's also the only character besides goku that's been at least a somewhat relevant fighter from his inception. vegeta's either the strongest or second strongest character on the good guy's side at all times

Fixed that for you

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Manatee Cannon posted:

I mean, I'd argue the Cell Saga was all Goku. The only reason any of the Androids were around at all was because of Goku toppling the Red Ribbon Army.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

he's honestly stronger than goku about as often as he's not when they're both alive. they went back and forth a lot until the cell saga

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

I mean, I'd argue the Cell Saga was all Goku. The only reason any of the Androids were around at all was because of Goku toppling the Red Ribbon Army.

cell exists at all because of gero and goku but the cell that they fought was only there because of trunks' time machine. no vegeta means no trunks means no time machine means no cell

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

It's a sign of Vegeta's character development that he hasn't made a situation a thousand times worse since his Majin Vegeta phase.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Manatee Cannon posted:

cell exists at all because of gero and goku but the cell that they fought was only there because of trunks' time machine. no vegeta means no trunks means no time machine means no cell
No Goku means no Gero going crazy and making all those Androids either, which means no Trunks having to time travel.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

you way missed the point

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Funky Valentine posted:

It's a sign of Vegeta's character development that he hasn't made a situation a thousand times worse since his Majin Vegeta phase.

Not on purpose at least. He did make Frieza destroy the earth that one time because of his grandstanding.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
In a world with no Goku, do Pilaf or the Red Ribbons rule? Or does Kami actually do his job?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

HitTheTargets posted:

In a world with no Goku, do Pilaf or the Red Ribbons rule? Or does Kami actually do his job?

None of them do because Majin Buu is eventually released from his container by Babidi.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Star Man posted:

None of them do because Majin Buu is eventually released from his container by Babidi.

And thus, Mr. Satan rules supreme.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

chiasaur11 posted:

And thus, Mr. Satan rules supreme.

I know you're just kidding, but without Goku or Gohan, then Mr. Satan has no one whose success he can leech off of.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Star Man posted:

I know you're just kidding, but without Goku or Gohan, then Mr. Satan has no one whose success he can leech off of.

Mr. Satan was fairly famous beforehand, he did win the World Martial Arts tournament

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Star Man posted:

Mr. Satan was an absurdly popular dude beforehand.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

HitTheTargets posted:

Tien would take care of them.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Hercule went from 'very famous fighter and world champion' to 'savior of the earth', which is a little different from his previous popularity

he was still popular but it wasn't like he was everyone's first thought to defend the planet before Cell

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Burkion posted:

That is true

Basically Goku gets smarter the harder the fight is.

When he's trying to match power for power, he just punches harder.

you see a BIT of that with the Kefla fight- with UI he wasn't as strong as Kefla, so he just styled all over her face

Don't forget his fight with Hit, where he figured out what his deal was by watching him beat the poo poo out of Vegeta.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
He didn't figure it out, one of the kaioshins explained what Hit was doing.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Actually it was the Galactic King who did it.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

You mean the King of the galaxy, right? Then Goku touched his dick as thanks.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Oh, right. Goku owes King Kai a shitload of handjobs, I guess.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Episode update: it was good

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

this week's episode was one of the best of the arc so far imo. u2 was retroactively entirely worth it and even gohan had his time to shine for real. the androids are still the best characters in super

I think the reverse of piccolo saving gohan from the mouth beam thing with nappa was good but it would have been a little better had he done more than take shots for gohan all tournament long. the special beam cannon was cool tho

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The subtle clothes beam callback was cool.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Gohan is the most squandered character in all of DB history bar none

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Oh, right. Goku owes King Kai a shitload of handjobs, I guess.

Do kais even have genitals? Do they reproduce sexually?

Someone get Toriyama to do another interview.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Well he still figured out how to deal with it by being able to predict how Hit would move

Shards of Fate
Apr 19, 2002

They look like monsters to you?
I am wondering what Frieza’s endgame is. Maybe he just wants to come back to life and nothing more.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the biggest swerve they could pull with freeza is to make him totally legit in his promise with goku

Kashuno posted:

Gohan is the most squandered character in all of DB history bar none

yea he's a casualty of someone deciding it'd be better to keep goku the lead at the last second. I guess nerd gohan is probably a happier future for him than actually replacing his dad as the main punchman tho

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TrilliontonNixon posted:

Do kais even have genitals? Do they reproduce sexually?

Someone get Toriyama to do another interview.

We actually know this. They come out of Fruit on a tree.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY
Hot drat this was an amazing episode.

ToP arc has been legendary so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

The two worst Universes are gone and I could barely enjoy it because the odd atmosphere the episode had. Neither team seemed to really give a poo poo that they were being erased from existence. The writers could at least pretend like these erasures are permanent.