Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Someone's never played Xenoverse 2. Appule's basically your best buddy as you rank up in the Freeza Force.

Augus posted:

wouldn't it cool if they actually had to team up together in order to beat Jiren

They will. If your definition of teaming up is getting ringed out so the big hitters (Goku, Vegeta) have to get serious, that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

I think one of the big problems is that since Frieza, all the heavy hitters have been like "oh, we COULD team up, but I really want to test myself against this dude..." and thus they just keep brushing off the idea of team ups. Cell Saga literally has everyone waiting their turn to fight, and the only time anyone but Goku or Gohan gets to do anything other than commentate, it's either getting their asses kicked by Cell Jrs., or contributing more or less nothing to the final beam struggle. I mean, Vegeta's shot manages to piss Cell off a little, but everyone else is just kinda there.

Frieza was the last time the entire team had a crack at the main villain, and even worked together to run interference, as opposed to maybe fighting mooks at best. Zamasu kind of has Goku, Vegeta, and Trunks team up, but it's generally just one of them sitting out while two of them handle Zamasu and Black separately. Once he becomes Fusion Zamasu, they try some teaming up, but it all gets shrugged off until Vegetto clowns him a bit, and Trunks pulls out the win as the last man standing.

It's just, I don't know, after you have Buu kill everyone on earth with one attack, and they STILL basically keep taking turns, I don't think that's going to change any time soon. I mean, there's that scene where everyone tries to beat Beerus and gets shrugged off, but there's also Frieza coming back and Goku and Vegeta literally arguing over whose turn it is to go first. They've gotten so powerful there's no point to strategy anymore.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Augus posted:

wouldn't it cool if they actually had to team up together in order to beat Jiren
like, back when Vegeta first appeared he destroyed Goku even after a power-up, it took the entire gang giving everything they had in order to turn the tables on him.

basically every arc villain since dbz started has been like this

your options are: goku wins by himself (hasn't happened since piccolo in the 3rd tournament, but this is a tournament too...) or goku loses the 1v1. if the latter, either they work together to win or it's game over and jiren wishes them back :v:

tho I guess goku already did lose the 1v1 at this point

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Dec 5, 2017

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Crossin' fingers for a Gogeta showing

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Augus posted:

like, back when Vegeta first appeared he destroyed Goku even after a power-up, it took the entire gang giving everything they had in order to turn the tables on him.

still the best fight in the series imo

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Kurui Reiten posted:

They've gotten so powerful there's no point to strategy anymore.

Strategy has never really been the point. Remember when everyone was warned ages in advance about the androids? Instead of trying to find the androids in advance to stop them from being created, everyone just sort of went "well, that'll be a good fight, let's go train for a good fight".

Ougher
Jan 16, 2005

Black August posted:

Fusion Reborn was probably my favorite of the dbz movies, and I would love to see him in the official show, but man I just dunno if they are gonna throw us that bone.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Ougher posted:

Fusion Reborn was probably my favorite of the dbz movies, and I would love to see him in the official show, but man I just dunno if they are gonna throw us that bone.

I only keep my fingers crossed because they've done a surprising number of movie references so far, and we even have a canonical Broly now

Plus I like the idea of Vegeta mastering the attack half of UI, leaving them to fuse and suddenly have it perfected just long enough to thrash on Jiren before the usual plot-derailing upset

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Jiren winning and being The Real Hero by wishing everybody back seems like the most likely outcome to me tbh. Goku won't master ultra instinct until it's time to overthrow the celestial bureaucracy

"Even Zen-oh-sama will be blown away!"

Ougher
Jan 16, 2005
Tradition would dictate that someone(Vegeta) will gently caress up the fusion dance at least one time, hopefully resulting in fat Gogeta for some dumb shenanigans for a few minutes before they get it right and then of course lose it after 5 minutes because when does that ever not happen. :haw:

edit: hrmm but wasnt there like a 30 minute 'cooldown' or something on the dance fusion. That means it wouldn't work with how much time we have left. :negative:

Ougher fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Dec 5, 2017

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I feel that they can retcon the Fusion Dance as experienced fighters like Goku and Vegeta don’t need to wait as long because they’re already strong and acclimation to a high stress form like SSB makes it so that the cooldown doesn’t happen

Or they could have Veku ring out Jiren by accident

Ougher
Jan 16, 2005
Ultra Instinct Veku :allears:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Ougher posted:

if broly can make it into the show, anything can

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
The next episode does have a goofy looking antagonist bringing back dead people.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Jiren has his back to the wall while fighting SSB Gogeta, transforms to his True Form: Janemba.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Kurui Reiten posted:

I think one of the big problems is that since Frieza, all the heavy hitters have been like "oh, we COULD team up, but I really want to test myself against this dude..." and thus they just keep brushing off the idea of team ups. Cell Saga literally has everyone waiting their turn to fight, and the only time anyone but Goku or Gohan gets to do anything other than commentate, it's either getting their asses kicked by Cell Jrs., or contributing more or less nothing to the final beam struggle. I mean, Vegeta's shot manages to piss Cell off a little, but everyone else is just kinda there.

Frieza was the last time the entire team had a crack at the main villain, and even worked together to run interference, as opposed to maybe fighting mooks at best. Zamasu kind of has Goku, Vegeta, and Trunks team up, but it's generally just one of them sitting out while two of them handle Zamasu and Black separately. Once he becomes Fusion Zamasu, they try some teaming up, but it all gets shrugged off until Vegetto clowns him a bit, and Trunks pulls out the win as the last man standing.

It's just, I don't know, after you have Buu kill everyone on earth with one attack, and they STILL basically keep taking turns, I don't think that's going to change any time soon. I mean, there's that scene where everyone tries to beat Beerus and gets shrugged off, but there's also Frieza coming back and Goku and Vegeta literally arguing over whose turn it is to go first. They've gotten so powerful there's no point to strategy anymore.

Uh no. Everybody fought Cell. Piccolo, Vegeta fought him twice, Trunks Goku, and Gohan. By the time of the Cell games the only person everybody thought had a chance was Goku. Yeah Vegeta wanted to fight but he knew he couldn't beat him. Then Goku surprises everyone with Gohan. Jumping him would just get everyone killed faster. He was so far above everybody but Gohan. The whole point of the Cell games was for Cell to draw it out and make it interesting because he knew he was the strongest.

Same with Buu. Everyone fought him and even at the end Vegeta is telling the viewer he knows he can't win. Why go through the motions any longer?

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
You're still thinking of one-on-one fights. Yajirobe would be straight vaporized if he had tried to fight Vegeta at any point, but he tagged into that brawl twice to get some solid hits in. You think Goku or Gohan couldn't keep Cell so busy he wouldn't be able to dodge another Kikoho?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Hell, other people being around for the fight with Super Buu worked against Gohan

Goten, Trunks and Piccolo were liabilities

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

HitTheTargets posted:

You're still thinking of one-on-one fights. Yajirobe would be straight vaporized if he had tried to fight Vegeta at any point, but he tagged into that brawl twice to get some solid hits in. You think Goku or Gohan couldn't keep Cell so busy he wouldn't be able to dodge another Kikoho?

Why would Cell need to dodge another Kikoho

That didn't do more than irritate him even before we has perfect

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

HitTheTargets posted:

Before Gohan went SS2 Cell Would just beat down him or Goku and Tien would tickle him. Cell is also infinitely more powerful than Vegeta was back then.

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

Black August posted:

I’m sort of wondering is this is how they finally beat Jiren. Defensive UI Goku does the fusion dance with Offensive UI Vegeta making perfected UI Gogeta, who trounces Jiren.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the people that were still alive helped gohan during his beam struggle with cell and goku helped talk him through it and gave him confidence. plus if goku hadn't been there, cell would have destroyed the planet when he blew up. if it had just been gohan fighting alone, cell would have blown up the earth, regenerated completely by accident, and flew off into space to lay waste to the universe. if he ever even got that far in the first place since he needed 16 to die to power up

even freeza wasn't a 1v1, tho it did end up as a duel. gohan, krillin, vegeta, and later piccolo had to stall him until goku woke up; then they needed to stall for the spirit bomb. hell, freeza killing krillin is what pushed goku over the edge and he owned himself like twice near the end so everyone played a part in his loss :v:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Manatee Cannon posted:

the people that were still alive helped gohan during his beam struggle with cell
That was only in the anime. In the manga Vegeta is the only who helps Gohan during the beam struggle with that one attack.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I question how Vegeta is supposed to get it within the next ten minutes, Goku needed to get hit with a Spirit Bomb and to get the poo poo kicked out of him by a Potara fusion to trigger it the first two times. Is there any series of events that can trash Vegeta like that but not trigger his inevitable role?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I hope Vegeta doesn’t go the UI route at all

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Justin_Brett posted:

I question how Vegeta is supposed to get it within the next ten minutes, Goku needed to get hit with a Spirit Bomb and to get the poo poo kicked out of him by a Potara fusion to trigger it the first two times. Is there any series of events that can trash Vegeta like that but not trigger his inevitable role?
Vegeta will get it in three arcs after Goku has mastered Ultra Instinct 2.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

Vegeta will get it in three arcs after Goku has mastered Ultra Instinct 2.

"Kakarot, I've finally surpassed you once again. I've mastered Ultra Instinct! Behold!"

"Oh, yeah, I just leave that on all the time now. I've been working on Kaioken Ultra Instinct."

"God damnit!"

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Raxivace posted:

That was only in the anime. In the manga Vegeta is the only who helps Gohan during the beam struggle with that one attack.

fair enough but it doesn't change my point

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

HitTheTargets posted:

Yajirobe saving the day is still one of my favorite DBZ moments. They should have let him take a stab at Zamasu.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Kashuno posted:

I hope Vegeta doesn’t go the UI route at all

Hes been one step behind goku for-goddamn-ever
I want him to have a thing to himself. If goku gets instinct, I want him to get perfect ki control.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Dec 5, 2017

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Vegeta can just go Super Saiyan 4. Problem solved.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Justin_Brett posted:

I think this is one of those fanon things people are seizing onto, like Jiren being a survivor of a destroyed universe or something.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

If they keep pushing Goku's Ultra Instinct powerup as 'boosts his defenses to the point where he's untouchable, but his strength is reduced as a result', then I think Vegeta is likely to get the opposite. I've seen some people kind of suggest that a bit. But the scene where he let Pepsiman just beat the hell out of him, gave up on Ultra Instinct due to his impatience, and then trashed the guy? I think that was subtly pushing that idea forward. Vegeta isn't a defensive fighter, and he doesn't tend to pull out a lot of tricky stuff. He's all about offense and big, flashy ki moves. If he gets some sort of powerup to compete with Ultra Instinct, it'll probably be more centered around being an offensive powerhouse.

It would be cool to see him just start no-selling everything, tanking every hit thrown at him, and hitting back harder. He still gets hurt, he's not avoiding any attacks- but he never stops coming. You can't get away. You can't defend against it. Every blow hits your weak points and abuses flaws in your defense.

Goku has calmness take over and let him evade attacks. Vegeta has his rage take over and let him break through defenses. It would be a fun dynamic and give him something unique instead of just being another latecomer to a Goku thing.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
That probably isn't gonna happen because it doesn't make much sense

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Whis also said they were the opposite anyway, and Vegeta was more defensive (because he's always on guard) and Goku is more offensive (because he's carefree).

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

What it meant is that Ultra Instinct "Omen" is the only thing he's achieved but he'll master it entirely and become a very powerful attacker once he fights Jiren again and it will have a new look to it so Bandai can sell it as a different toy.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Momomo posted:

Whis also said they were the opposite anyway, and Vegeta was more defensive (because he's always on guard) and Goku is more offensive (because he's carefree).

iirc it was overthinking (vegets) and not thinking enough/not focusing on the fight (goku)
nothing about offense/defense.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
I'm starting to get the feeling that maybe the Tournament ends with Jiren winning but accidentally killing Goku in the process for going too far, getting disqualified, and Frieza being the last standing man that gets the wish.

Or the opposite, Goku wins, accidentally gets Jiren killed and disqualified, Frieza still gets the wish.

Like there is absolutely no way that Frieza doesn't end up somehow winning in this arc.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
can't believe they wiped out the straight sisters of universe 6 and the actually gay girls of universe 2 in one episode. loving ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shards of Fate
Apr 19, 2002

They look like monsters to you?

lezard_valeth posted:

I'm starting to get the feeling that maybe the Tournament ends with Jiren winning but accidentally killing Goku in the process for going too far, getting disqualified, and Frieza being the last standing man that gets the wish.

Or the opposite, Goku wins, accidentally gets Jiren killed and disqualified, Frieza still gets the wish.

Like there is absolutely no way that Frieza doesn't end up somehow winning in this arc.

What I was expecting to happened Frieza in this arc has already happened to Frost.