Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
d) climb the shelving, I'm not staying one minute more than I have to.

I remember back at Wal-Mart when our scissor lift was broken and the managers would just go up into the giant backroom racks like apes and start tossing poo poo down.

We broke a lot of poo poo.

The scissor lift wasn't fixed because it cost too much money but breaking a ton of poo poo could be written off as damaged goods so

NerdyMcNerdNerd fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Dec 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

Zeth posted:

Hypothetical situation. You are trying to stock salad dressing and need to get stuff up into a high shelf that you need a ladder to reach. The nearest ladder is currently in use. Do you:

a) try to find another ladder
b) go work a different box until the ladder is free
c) lounge against the shelving unit and stare at the current ladder-user, actively refusing to go work something else when this is suggested

listen man, I get paid the same whether I'm working or just watching you work

Zeth
Dec 28, 2006

Cluck you say?
Buglord
Yeah this was shelving out on the sales floor, I don't think she could have climbed it without drowning the entire aisle in ranch. Standing there staring was just making it take that much longer for her to work her pick cart.

Though I feel I am saltier about this than it really merits because this girl is just objectively awful at everything and habitually does things in ways that actively make more work for someone else later on and don't care for her presence at all.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Going into the busiest week of the month, I've been scheduled to come in an hour late every day. This puts me in a position where I'll be forced to work like a madman to get done on time, or, I'll be forced to stay until close every single night. And I lose five hours off my paycheck.

A lot of poo poo just ain't getting done this week. Nothing I can do but cut some corners and brace for the inevitable, "WHY DOES YOUR SECTION LOOK SO ROUGH?"

It's because you didn't give me the time to do the job, and because people come shop until 15 minutes after close on EBT week.

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016
Oh dear, it'll be a new shift's first close by herself and she's got me and a newer girl scheduled. Only me and the shift can bar, and its Saturday. RIP

On the other hand, girl squad!

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

One of my cafe regulars from when I worked retail got busted for CP and an indoor growhouse.

Dude seemed like a totally normal aged out boomer hippy. Totally surreal. Saw the guy every day for four years.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Today started fairly average until I got some bullshit about a lady's christmas tree dropped in my lap that one of my other coworkers had been ignoring. Without going into details it ended with me in this woman's house undecorating this tree in order to take it away while she literally cried about how she wanted to do one more live tree before her dying comatose husband passed away.

Previously, at a job I had as comcast support, I had a customer who called in because a previous rep had changed her wifi password for some reason (it didn't state why in the notes they left) and she could no longer connect her smart tv to the internet. She was basically incapable of working the tv menus, had no idea what tv she had, and after a while started crying that she was dying from a terminal illness and all she wanted to do was watch tv and she couldn't even do that now because of us and hung up.

I literally want to kill myself

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Garrand posted:

Today started fairly average until I got some bullshit about a lady's christmas tree dropped in my lap that one of my other coworkers had been ignoring. Without going into details it ended with me in this woman's house undecorating this tree in order to take it away while she literally cried about how she wanted to do one more live tree before her dying comatose husband passed away.

Previously, at a job I had as comcast support, I had a customer who called in because a previous rep had changed her wifi password for some reason (it didn't state why in the notes they left) and she could no longer connect her smart tv to the internet. She was basically incapable of working the tv menus, had no idea what tv she had, and after a while started crying that she was dying from a terminal illness and all she wanted to do was watch tv and she couldn't even do that now because of us and hung up.

I literally want to kill myself

You... You repossessed a Christmas tree?

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Fil5000 posted:

You... You repossessed a Christmas tree?

After the customers ive dealt with today i want to repo christmas from all them.

My new favorite customer is a guy in his late 60s. Driving around in a handy cart and managed to knock almost a dozen yankee candles, the large 18 ouncers, of the shelf.

Doesnt even acknowledge them as he demands i take him to groceries. Tell him i cant leave the broken glass unattended and explain where he needs to go. Starts yelling about poo poo customer service and that as an employee i owe him because he shops here and pays my wages and i better take him where he wants.

I told him that i really appreciate the one-millionth of a penny he has allowed me to earn which got the real fun rolling. Swearing nonstop for 10 minutes while i just smiled and directed others around the broken glass.

Our AP guy was doing his rounds and heard the guy threaten to hit me with the handy cart if i didnt "wipe that smugg rear end grin" off my face. He grabbed the guy and kicked him out of the store. Hurray AP!

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Yesterday I saw someone digging through our ice cream, to find the freshest. The freshest ice cream.

Who are you, mystery lady? Why do you do that? Are you afraid that it is going to expire before you finish the quart? Do you sustain yourself on a weekly spoonful of chocolate mint? Why are you in my store at ten o'clock at night, digging, searching, for frozen delight?

At least she fixed the display when she was done. Godspeed, weirdo. You do you.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Yesterday I saw someone digging through our ice cream, to find the freshest. The freshest ice cream.

Who are you, mystery lady? Why do you do that? Are you afraid that it is going to expire before you finish the quart? Do you sustain yourself on a weekly spoonful of chocolate mint? Why are you in my store at ten o'clock at night, digging, searching, for frozen delight?

At least she fixed the display when she was done. Godspeed, weirdo. You do you.

Your story telling skills are great. I always look forward to reading your posts in here.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
And I thought the lady who was looking for the freshest dried peppers was odd.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I go to retail stores to scope for the freshest ladies.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Leal posted:

And I thought the lady who was looking for the freshest dried peppers was odd.

Well dried spices do lose flavour as they age.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
If you go to the store and don't dig for the freshest package of Ziploc bags you're doing it wrong.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
gently caress, I need the freshest cat litter for my cats!

So what is the must have thing for this Xmas? I haven't heard of anything insane like Tickle Me Elmo.

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016
Theres a Christmas parade tonight and we're expecting a crowd so I got sent on my half an hour before I usually do. Sunday customers are always assholes because Jesus I guess so its going to be a lot of fun

I also tried a cold brew for the first time and It was really good so I'm going to get that more often and recommend it to customers :unsmith:

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
something i've seen suggests these dumb little monkey finger huggers are slightly in demand. I don't even know what the appeal is to having a plastic monkey wrapped around your finger, but then when I was a kid tomagatchis and furbys were all the rage.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

grimcreaper posted:

Your story telling skills are great. I always look forward to reading your posts in here.

Thanks for this. When I have something to work with ( and I'm not just bitching ), I try to type something worth reading. Glad to know it is appreciated.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

grimcreaper posted:

i want to repo christmas from all them.
new thread title

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Yawgmoth posted:

new thread title

Dr Seuss was actually writing a prophecy about retail

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.
I just spent 4 hours packing up my store for a move. There were a grand total of five of us packing literally everything that wasn't nailed to the walls to ship it less than a quarter mile to the brand new building. I hate moving poo poo, I hate my store right but, and the only reason that I did this is because my manager is kinda massively stressed out and being more anal and bitchy than usual. gently caress this company. Pentaghastly knows what's up.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Amazon just launched in my country.

:rip: retail.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
No I definitely don’t have that item that was on sale for $400 off on Black Friday. No I can’t “discount a different model”. No that’s not false advertising.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Last Monday I had a customer ask when our Back Friday sales were over (the answer was Friday because they are Black Friday sales and 50% off all fish is not something i want for more than a day to be honest.)

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I somehow forgot about this retail story:

Guess who learned last week that when a forklift goes into low battery mode it disables the ability to lift the forks? Guess who learned it when between 2 pallets, got stuck and had to call the store to get on the PA to have a coworker come with a pallet jack to free me?

Why aren't these things designed to give a warning before it disables the forks :shepface:

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
The forklifts at my work all have a battery meter, and when you've been driving on your last bar of battery for a little bit that last bar on the meter starts flashing so we know that if we don't charge the lift soon the forks wont go up. And even if the forks wont go up the tilt function still works so sometimes I can drag a pallet where I need to while running on fumes.

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016
Hey, dont be me and get a venti black cold brew before you clock in and then get a second one on your break two hours later

I got SO much done and I was too cheerful talking to customers and slinging drinks left and right. Now I'm anxious that ill die in my sleep for some reason

Also I dont know who the hell approved it, but somebody bought a traveler keg type coffee thing and morning crew apparently filled it with hot chocolate and when the customers brought it back for us to clean it smelled like soured milk x100. It was awful. It still smells like it even after I rinsed it out which means someones gotta clean out the nozzle and seals and it ain't gonna be me

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Cowslips Warren posted:

gently caress, I need the freshest cat litter for my cats!

So what is the must have thing for this Xmas? I haven't heard of anything insane like Tickle Me Elmo.

LoL Surprise and fingerlings toys at my store. Whenever I'm pushing toys I get asked about those nonstop and bitched at that it's unacceptable we can't order some to be on the shelves right this instant.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

The Aardvark posted:

LoL Surprise and fingerlings toys at my store. Whenever I'm pushing toys I get asked about those nonstop and bitched at that it's unacceptable we can't order some to be on the shelves right this instant.

drat, I bought a fingerling as a gag gift for a friend because he loves pygmy marmosets. Maybe I need to ebay this fucker!

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

We have new head honchos in our regional management. They decided that despite us having cut our roster to the bones, we were spending far too much money on staffing, so they forced us to rip 100 man hours out of christmas week. That's just for front end. In a Supermarket. In the week leading up to christmas. My Manager is having a fit.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Corporate would rather slash their throats open for free than spend five cents on a bandage. Ask me about the hundreds of dollars in sales my department loses out on every week because we don't have anyone scheduled to stock the shelves.

Speaking of spending, I went to the doctor today because of mysterious abdominal pain. My health insurance doesn't kick in until the first, so it's all out of pocket.

I've got a probable diagnosis of kidney stones heading into the supermarket's busiest time of the year.

hohoho

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

The Lord Bude posted:

We have new head honchos in our regional management. They decided that despite us having cut our roster to the bones, we were spending far too much money on staffing, so they forced us to rip 100 man hours out of christmas week. That's just for front end. In a Supermarket. In the week leading up to christmas. My Manager is having a fit.

That's like 20 part-time shifts. :psyboom:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

D34THROW posted:

That's like 20 part-time shifts. :psyboom:

Did I mention we're a really old store that doesn't have self serve checkouts yet? Literally 50% of our survey complaints is people pissed off about there not being self serve and having to wait too long.

Staff in the store are being asked if they'd like to go on vacation, or call in 'sick'. During the busiest period of the retail year.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Garrand posted:

please go into the details of how you got wrangled into repossessing a Christmas tree

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

The Lord Bude posted:

This happens to me too, and I'm 100% convinced it's the RAM throwing everyone under the bus to get their "under xxx hours" end of year bonus. It's so dumb.

Speaking of dumb, tonight it appears we have started to get our yearly "why the gently caress are we being sent this" part of the deliveries. Tonight's specialty was 5 boxes of wet wipes. That's five times what fits on the shelf and, and the shelf is already full. Thanks :thumbsup:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Zenithe posted:

This happens to me too, and I'm 100% convinced it's the RAM throwing everyone under the bus to get their "under xxx hours" end of year bonus. It's so dumb.

Speaking of dumb, tonight it appears we have started to get our yearly "why the gently caress are we being sent this" part of the deliveries. Tonight's specialty was 5 boxes of wet wipes. That's five times what fits on the shelf and, and the shelf is already full. Thanks :thumbsup:

We've been having trouble obtaining Berry flavoured Pump water. If we're lucky we get a box of it per week, which is enough to maybe half fill the space allocated to it, but it runs out days before we get a new delivery. A few days ago a new planogram came in, and we no longer have Berry flavoured Pump in our fridges. Guess what we got 3 boxes of today?

50% of a rollcage that we use for front end drinks is filled with various beverages that we don't use on our displays. Unfortunately the groceries department doesn't appear to use them either; and nobody wants to take responsibility for them, so on the cage they will sit taking up space until they eventually expire and get thrown out.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

Staff in the store are being asked if they'd like to go on vacation, or call in 'sick'. During the busiest period of the retail year.

...what's the downside?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Byzantine posted:

...what's the downside?

Nothing for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HazCat
May 4, 2009

The Lord Bude posted:

We've been having trouble obtaining Berry flavoured Pump water. If we're lucky we get a box of it per week, which is enough to maybe half fill the space allocated to it, but it runs out days before we get a new delivery. A few days ago a new planogram came in, and we no longer have Berry flavoured Pump in our fridges. Guess what we got 3 boxes of today?

50% of a rollcage that we use for front end drinks is filled with various beverages that we don't use on our displays. Unfortunately the groceries department doesn't appear to use them either; and nobody wants to take responsibility for them, so on the cage they will sit taking up space until they eventually expire and get thrown out.

This is the worst bullshit and I will always cut poo poo into planograms rather than letting it sit around in our overheads waiting to go clearance.

None of our managers know what the planograms are meant to look like anyway, and the merchandise team who are meant to check that we're implementing things right have never once caught any of the changes I've made, even though I sometimes have to completely rework a layout because they don't test them at all and frequently send us planograms that are physically impossible to implement.