Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Immanentized posted:

This, the context and intent is the exasperation of an immortal being forced to go through the brains of grotesque, privileged and emotionally stunted teenagers. It's clumsily done, but it's basically a grim-dark "Goddamn Kids" joke. Isn't the whole regiment and their command staff vat-grown or otherwise altered? Might be why he's so grossed out by it.

Except for the Hets who are brought in from outside sources to be platoon commanders and poo poo, yeah, they're all vat grown I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The gene-engineered soldier-culture thing in that story is intentionally weird and off-putting, partly to show how much strangeness the early Imperium encompassed and partly to make it less of an issue when the Alpha Legion kills them all.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Gene before genome.

Was that their line?

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Geno before gene, chiliad before imperium

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Don’t know if it is any interest to anyone but ADB recently did an AMA on Reddit about GW / his black library work.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Warhammer/comments/7igatt/im_aaron_dembskibowden_ask_me_anything/

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Don’t know if it is any interest to anyone but ADB recently did an AMA on Reddit about GW / his black library work.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Warhammer/comments/7igatt/im_aaron_dembskibowden_ask_me_anything/
Some pretty cool stuff in there, and ADB seems like a genuinely fun guy. :unsmith:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Which of the Imperial Guard books was the one which kept inter-cutting with flashbacks to the Sepoy Mutiny IIIINNNN SPAAAACCCEEE?

I read it a couple of years ago and I want to re-read it but damned if I can remember what the title was.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Dec 11, 2017

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I just polished off Master of Mankind and enjoyed it! What would you guys say is a good follow up - the talon of Horus or carrion throne? The Emperor alludes to Abbadon or someone like him taking over the armies of chaos after Horus towards the end of the book and Carrion Throne would be an interesting way to look at the empire 10,000 years after MoM’s conclusion. Is one book better than the other?

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Both are good maybe read Carrion Throne first cause Talon of horus has a sequel. Whatever the new one is that came out a few months ago

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Waroduce posted:

Both are good maybe read Carrion Throne first cause Talon of horus has a sequel. Whatever the new one is that came out a few months ago

Black legion

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Schadenboner posted:

Which of the Imperial Guard books was the one which kept inter-cutting with flashbacks to the Sepoy Mutiny IIIINNNN SPAAAACCCEEE?

I read it a couple of years ago and I want to re-read it but damned if I can remember what the title was.

Imperial Glory?

It featured the brimlock dragoons iirc

Agentdark
Dec 30, 2007
Mom says I'm the best painter she's ever seen. Jealous much? :hehe:

bunnyofdoom posted:

Imperial Glory?

It featured the brimlock dragoons iirc

Yeah. Its not top tier, but its decent.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

moths posted:

There's a regiment in the new codex that's wearing the tricorn caps of Washington's army, which you could probably manage with Cadians and historical heads.

Are there any named characters from that regiment?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Doesn't look like it, just some NPCs. Also I am a dummy and they appear in the Only War supplement Hammer of the Emperor, which I picked up around the same time.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
I bought the Kindle edition of Warmaster on Amazon and new paragraphs etc. are barely indented at all. Is the BL version like that too? It's quite irritating.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

MMAgCh posted:

I bought the Kindle edition of Warmaster on Amazon and new paragraphs etc. are barely indented at all. Is the BL version like that too? It's quite irritating.

There are a few formatting issues in the print edition as well, paragraph breaks are missing in a couple areas.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

MMAgCh posted:

I find this to be pretty common in BL e-books. They are really badly formatted - no indention, missing paragraph spacing, chapters starting at the last quarter of the page, etc.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

My kindle copy of warmaster spelled Zweil "zwiel" for the entire book

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
The thing is I bought a few eBooks (though not a huge number) directly from BL in the past and they were generally OK, so this came as a bit of an unwelcome surprise. It's not unreadable by any means, I suppose, but still.

Biplane posted:

My kindle copy of warmaster spelled Zweil "zwiel" for the entire book
Oh yeah, this too. I thought it was a one-off mistake at first, but a quick search showed that nope, they managed to get the character's name wrong almost two dozen times. :doh:

…unless it's a Tau/T'au sort of deal. :v:

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
So, today's Malcador short is pretty nuts. It's Laurie Goulding, and it expands on one of the most popular heresy conspiracy theories. Not the best writing, but really interesting story points.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Immanentized posted:

So, today's Malcador short is pretty nuts. It's Laurie Goulding, and it expands on one of the most popular heresy conspiracy theories. Not the best writing, but really interesting story points.

Do tell?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Any opinions on The Crimson King from the thread?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

his court is way overrated

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

the heresy was planned for, the Imperium is for the humans. Malcador made the emperor into what he is now. Primarchs were gonna get culled sooner or later.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Woah

Bro copy paste or post some screenshots

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

PantsOptional posted:

I tried to read a friends copy. I got a third of the way through before I started skimming, and quit at the 2/3rds point. Completely failed to hold my interest.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Immanentized posted:

the heresy was planned for, the Imperium is for the humans. Malcador made the emperor into what he is now. Primarchs were gonna get culled sooner or later.

Does the first part mean that Malcador anticipated that primarchs would fall and tried to prepare for it?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

PantsOptional posted:

It was a bunch of wonky warp nonsense. Didn't really enjoy it.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Trast posted:

Does the first part mean that Malcador anticipated that primarchs would fall and tried to prepare for it?

I imagine it means much like the thunderwarriors the Primarchs and legions were tools to be used and discarded and the machanic to discard them was half of them going crazy and killing each other off until maybe just Magnus is left to stick in the golden throne as a battery . Im more interested in the Malcador made the emperor bit. I would like someone to copy paste or SS the text casue as much as i wanan know im not buying the short

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Waroduce posted:

Woah

Bro copy paste or post some screenshots

It's a 4 dollar 25 minute audio drama. Worth it, I think.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

MasterSlowPoke posted:

It's a 4 dollar 25 minute audio drama. Worth it, I think.

eww audio drama

:effort:

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Waroduce posted:

eww audio drama

:effort:

The execution is rather well done, kind of like a BBC radio play.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Audiobooks are always bad. Always

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
BL ones certainly. The Twin Peaks audiobook was awesome.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Biplane posted:

Audiobooks are always bad. Always

Hey, audiobooks are bloody great. Even BL ones can be good.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I'm still mad they didn't bring back the super Welsh dude who did Salvation's Reach for The Warmaster.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
What's this short called, exactly? I can't seem to find it.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

On my last road trip, I was pleasantly surprised when after listening to the Black Legion audiobook and moving on to the Warlord trilogy by Bernard Cornwell (upon which ADB's Black Legion series' narrative is based), and found that they had the same narrator.

I really love the way Jonathan Keeble does battle scenes. He really gets into it and brings it to life with voice tone alone.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

The Rat posted:

On my last road trip, I was pleasantly surprised when after listening to the Black Legion audiobook and moving on to the Warlord trilogy by Bernard Cornwell (upon which ADB's Black Legion series' narrative is based), and found that they had the same narrator.

I really love the way Jonathan Keeble does battle scenes. He really gets into it and brings it to life with voice tone alone.

The BL narrators are all prettttttty excellent really. They really get into it and do weird accents and poo poo for all the characters its cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

The only one that's thrown me so far is whoever did The First Heretic. The character voices he did sounded more like something out of Oliver Twist than proper space marines.