Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

1stGear posted:

The r/relationships thread occasionally gets one from a repressed hyper-Christian about to get married and they are both hilarious and sad. There was one from a woman who's identity was so tied up in being a virgin that she was considering breaking off her engagement so she wouldn't have to have sex with her fiancee.

I thought the whole point of the virgin thing was to be "pure" for marriage :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, but if that's enforced through 'and then you will be broken and dirty', which is often the subtext, and you're personally doubting the God Almighty sanctioned institute of marriage is sufficient to cleanse how dirty you're told that the act is, it can put you off the whole thing altogether.

That's how you end up with Shakers and clerical celibacy.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah, but if that's enforced through 'and then you will be broken and dirty', which is often the subtext, and you're personally doubting the God Almighty sanctioned institute of marriage is sufficient to cleanse how dirty you're told that the act is, it can put you off the whole thing altogether.

Yup, sayings like “who wants a used [whatever]?” or “you’ll be stained by sin (and also penis)” and even less subtle sayings, too.

There are tons of hang ups about sex and how the act is intrinsically dirty and dirtying, and the misogyny means a lot of the pressure and opprobrium fall on women and young girls

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Reminder.

Chowder took a few mins on his wedding night to post an essay about how he's so happy at losing his v-card.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

sure does, when the thing you don't agree with is the extermination of ethnic and religious minorities :wooper:

dueling was about people being offended and thus challenging each other to restore their honor

being willfully dumb doesn't make you right

need a safe space from meredith viera?

I'm not mad, are you mad?

they held a trial, my dude.

Anti-DACA. First this country was a house metaphor. Then it's a car metaphor.

There is no worse meme than willy wonka memes

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PhazonLink posted:

Reminder.

Chowder took a few mins on his wedding night to post an essay about how he's so happy at losing his v-card.

I had to do a double take to make sure you'd actually written Chowder, and I didn't just replace it in my head. And man, that's just sad. What he wrote, that is.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Defenestration posted:

There is no worse meme than willy wonka memes

Poor Gene Wilder. People are going to think he was a smug prick.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I've inoculated myself from Wonka memes because I read this clickhole article. Every time I see one, I just laugh thinking about the obscene gestures:

6 Hand Gestures Considered Insulting In Foreign Cultures

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

This but unironically.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

quote:

They didn't even manage to properly censor the swear. :allears:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Guavanaut posted:

I love the messianic schizophrenic who found my work email.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Man that is some purestrain crazy right there. I read it about five times and I can't even begin to understand it.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Twelve by Pies posted:

Man that is some purestrain crazy right there. I read it about five times and I can't even begin to understand it.

Any public facing government email address gets CC'd a lot of these alongside the president and the entire senate. They are quite... fun

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Yeah, I get these from time to time. But the ones who think they're Christ tend to email a lot more around the holidays, go figure.

I wonder what happens when you put two of them in a room together. It must happen.

Edit: My best pal worked at a law library, and libraries are a magnet for this sort of thing because they attract people who are, for example, living out of a van and researching their lawsuit against, uh, the entire federal government for, uh, putting mind-control surveillance cybernetic implants in their dog. Here's a letter he got that was also copied to the entire government:

quote:

EVERYBODY SAW HER TRAVEL THE WHOLE WAY BECAUSE I WASN'T MAKING A MOVE TO HER LYING rear end. SHE HAD TO BRING HER LYING rear end PUSSY ALL THE WAY TO THE HOTEL ROOM.

SHE GAVE ME A LAP DANCE AND SEX WITH THE LATINO HOTEL WORKERS LOOKING PROBABLE SAYING "SHE IS SCANDALOUS" BECAUSE SHE WAS JUST IN THE DOMESTIC VIOLENCE COURT A COUPLE OF WEEKS AGO AND NOW SHE IS GETTING HER BOM BOM SHOOK WITH AFTERNOON DELIGHT IN THE JOHN DELOREAN SUMMIT NJ PISCATAWAY MOTEL 6.

I GAVE HER SOME TRUTH SERUM AND WENDT BACK TO WORK.

SHE LEFT THE HOTEL ROOM SMILING WITH HER 200 POUNDS OF FAT TAIL LEAVITTATING.

LATER THE EVENING, I CALLED HER TO SEE IF THE TRUTH SERUM WORKED THINKING THAT THE HOTEL ROOM PHONE OR HER EMPLOYER VERIZON EAVESDROPPED PHONE CALLS.

I TOLD HER SHE KNEW I WASN'T ABUSIVE AND NEVER DIDN'T WHAT SHE TESTIFIED TO IN DOMESTIC VIOLENCE.

SHE CONFESSED TO THE LIE ON THE PHONE AND TOLD ME SHE WANTED TO CONTINUE THE RELATIONSHIP IF I HELP HER FINANCIALLY.

I REPLIED THAT I ALREADY PROVED I WOULD HELP, BUT THE WAS ONE PROBLEMO. THE RESTRAINING ORDER AND WAS SHE WILLING TO GET IT DISMISSED.

I HAD TO TELL THE BELL CURVE SNEAKY HEFFER THAT I COULD BE ARRESTED EVEN IF SHE WANTED MY COMPANY IF A POLICE OFFICER KNEW ABOUT THE RESTRAINING ORDER.

SHE DECIDED TO GO PAULA JONES IN THE JOHN DELOREAN SUMMIT NJ HOTEL PRESIDENT WILLIAM CLINTON BLACKMAIL AND REPLY THAT SHE WOULD THINK ABOUT IT IF I FINANCIALLY HELP HER WITH HER FINANCES.

I HUNG UP THE PHONE IN 1998 AND NEVER SPOKE TO HER AGAIN.

IN 2007 - 2008, I CALLED HER AFTER TO MAKE THE PEACE AFTER SHE VIOLATED THE ORDER STALKING ME IN MARYLAND OVER 30 TIMES WISHING HER A HAPPY BIRTHDAY AND TO REMIND HER TO GET A BREAST EXAM. SHE FILED CHARGES OF VIOLATING THE 1998 RESTRAINING ORDER PARDONED BY NJ GOVERNOR CHRISTINE WHITMAN AND PRESIDENT WILLIAM CLINTON.

If I thought the "truth serum" was anything stronger than grape Nehi, I'd feel obliged to contact the police.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Dec 12, 2017

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

I'm publicly listed as a member of a university chemistry department, so we'd get the occasional nut wanting us to denounce Einstein and acknowledge they disproved thermodynamics or whatever. Usually more coherent than the straight-up schizophrenics though; they didn't have that tell-tale grammatical style.

Halloween Jack posted:

Yeah, I get these from time to time. But the ones who think they're Christ tend to email a lot more around the holidays, go figure.

I wonder what happens when you put two of them in a room together. It must happen.

The Three Christs of Ypsilanti is what happens.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Halloween Jack posted:

Edit: My best pal worked at a law library, and libraries are a magnet for this sort of thing because they attract people who are, for example, living out of a van and researching their lawsuit against, uh, the entire federal government for, uh, putting mind-control surveillance cybernetic implants in their dog. Here's a letter he got that was also copied to the entire government:

If I thought the "truth serum" was anything stronger than grape Nehi, I'd feel obliged to contact the police.

idk why you're posting extracts from philip k. dick books itt

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Goon Danton posted:

I'm publicly listed as a member of a university chemistry department, so we'd get the occasional nut wanting us to denounce Einstein and acknowledge they disproved thermodynamics or whatever. Usually more coherent than the straight-up schizophrenics though; they didn't have that tell-tale grammatical style.

The Three Christs of Ypsilanti is what happens.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5706370/

Gere, Dinklage, Goggins, Whitford. That's a hell of a cast for an awesome sounding movie I've never heard of.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Looks like the salt to melt the ice on the roads came just in time.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Years ago I had a summer job working in the archives for my reservation's tribal government.

It was during some sort of reorganization so it involved a lot of going through giant folders and seeing what needed to be kept and what could be shredded. A lot of stuff was mail that was saved for whatever reason.

And, uh, man people sent us a lot of weird poo poo.

One thing that I remember was a big booklet extolling the "Sovran Nation" which was some sort of cult/scam that stated that natives were in fact descendants of the ancient Egyptians and had magic crystal powers. This was a few dozen pages long and written in single spaced times new roman.

Then there were several things sent by people who were likely mentally ill. Pages of handwritten letters talking about how it was our destiny to help them open their third eye, complete with illustrations.

This is what new age mysticism stereotypes get you.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Remember though, it's the democRATS who insult rural southerners.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

TinTower posted:

This person seems a little confused about what senators do.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Maybe they're going by the precedent of previous one, in which case going in girls' bathrooms in AL wouldn't be too far off the mark.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

TinTower posted:

Good. Gooood. Let the salt flow.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Keeshhound posted:

"If women and minorities would just quit demanding we deal with their problems and work on advancing REAL leftist causes, we'd already have full communism and then EVERYONE would be better off."

:rolleyes:

people who think like this are the exact reason we don't have full communism yet fyi

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Hahahaha I got in a net neutrality argument with a libertarian and they brought up power privatization here in Texas as an argument/example against neutrality

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Wasn't that the Enron thing?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Arglebargle III posted:

Wasn't that the Enron thing?

That was the unregulated power plant that blew up a few years ago, I think.

Edit: a quick Google search shows there's been several that have happened in this millennium, in Texas alone. Whoops!

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

seiferguy posted:

That was the unregulated power plant that blew up a few years ago, I think.

Edit: a quick Google search shows there's been several that have happened in this millennium, in Texas alone. Whoops!

Reminds me of my Wikipedia editing days, where I was have a (polite) argument with someone about an aspect of the Texas City Disaster. We then realised we were talking about two different Texas City Disasters out of the multiple Texas City Disasters that have happened.

.Edward Penischin
Jun 5, 2008

Hobnob posted:

Reminds me of my Wikipedia editing days, where I was have a (polite) argument with someone about an aspect of the Texas City Disaster. We then realised we were talking about two different Texas City Disasters out of the multiple Texas City Disasters that have happened.

I would call home when I heard something on the news about Texas City. Every time, they would say "it was nothing."

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Power used to be state run in a way with a single provider, but a decade or two ago they privatized it to where there are many different middle men who each have ~equal access~ to the infrastructure. He seriously could not see the irony. And he started the convo with a picture that had a huge strawman doing a herp-de-derp level argument too. I'd link it but he took it down.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Hahahaha I got in a net neutrality argument with a libertarian and they brought up power privatization here in Texas as an argument/example against neutrality

Libertarians imagine that after the big revolution. They will be captains of industry as opposed to the ones cleaning the toilets.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
His argument seemed to revolve around net neutrality is not needed because people will go to businesses who practice it voluntarily, and those businesses will happen once crony governments are forbidden from villainously making monopolies and new businesses magically pop up complete with infrastructure.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Glenn Beck actually used electric power as an argument against net neutrality too. His argument was "Remember what we did with electricity? We said it was so necessary that we made it a commodity, because everybody needs equal access. But the problem is that solar power is getting cheaper, and not now but maybe in the next ten years as much as 30% of households will be 'off the grid' because it'll be cheaper to just install solar panels. What do you think that will do to the rest of the people who are still paying for power? If we'd just let the free market take care of the electricity situation then everything would be fine. The same principle should be applied to the internet."

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
So in 10 years people will just make their own internet for cheaper than connecting to the internet proper? Like a return to the BBS days?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

In ten years SA will just be an enormous group text. It might make it hard to follow, but we'll be free of government oppression.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Twelve by Pies posted:

Glenn Beck actually used electric power as an argument against net neutrality too. His argument was "Remember what we did with electricity? We said it was so necessary that we made it a commodity, because everybody needs equal access. But the problem is that solar power is getting cheaper, and not now but maybe in the next ten years as much as 30% of households will be 'off the grid' because it'll be cheaper to just install solar panels. What do you think that will do to the rest of the people who are still paying for power? If we'd just let the free market take care of the electricity situation then everything would be fine. The same principle should be applied to the internet."

how does anyone argue that's a bad thing? I can't think of a single economic school that would portray that as bad for the consumer. Demand drops by up to 30% so an austrian would argue prices lower as a result, a chicago schooler would say a monopoly would form from major companies buying out minor stakeholders and drive more people to renewables, a marxist just says "well we nationalise the rest and subsidise it". There's no possible scenario prices go up because it's a huge increase in competition and maintenance costs remain the same. That's a dumb take by his low standards.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Ashcans posted:

In ten years SA will just be an enormous group text. It might make it hard to follow, but we'll be free of government oppression.

I think you just invented Twitter.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

PerniciousKnid posted:

Now's our chance to kill it before it spreads.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

PerniciousKnid posted:

gently caress, better put me out my misery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Guavanaut posted:

So in 10 years people will just make their own internet for cheaper than connecting to the internet proper? Like a return to the BBS days?

No, he's saying that In ten years we'll all transcend our mortal bodies and connect our souls to the natural internet that flows all around us ceaselessly from a natural source just waiting to be tapped into.