Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

silvergoose posted:

Each target, right?

Yes, All the bandit archers will do the actions on the single red card, drawing a attack modifier card for every enemy they attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Bombadilillo posted:

Yes, All the bandit archers will do the actions on the single red card, drawing a attack modifier card for every enemy they attack.

And if one of them draws a shuffle card, you don't shuffle until the end of the turn.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

silvergoose posted:

Each target, right?

Yes, good clarification--a new modifier card for every attack a monster makes, so if it's an area attack, that's a card for each target in that area.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

CaptainRightful posted:

Yes, good clarification--a new modifier card for every attack a monster makes, so if it's an area attack, that's a card for each target in that area.

Yes. For you and monsters an area attack still gets different hit cards for each target. Advantage and disadvantage apply.

So spellweaver with advantage hits 3 baddies in a group blast. 1st baddie. Card-card. 2nd card-card. 3rd card-card.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Jordan7hm posted:

And if one of them draws a shuffle card, you don't shuffle until the end of the turn.

Shuffling modifier decks is an end of round effect, so yes.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Bombadilillo posted:

Yes. For you and monsters an area attack still gets different hit cards for each target. Advantage and disadvantage apply.

So spellweaver with advantage hits 3 baddies in a group blast. 1st baddie. Card-card. 2nd card-card. 3rd card-card.

Funny how you seem to be describing a spellweaver using fire orbs with eagle eye goggles.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Been F5ing the ups tracker all day and my big Gloomhaven box just arrived...containing the copy of the game I got for a friend but not my dials/minis/new rulebook. Have those odds and ends shipments gone out yet?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

head58 posted:

Been F5ing the ups tracker all day and my big Gloomhaven box just arrived...containing the copy of the game I got for a friend but not my dials/minis/new rulebook. Have those odds and ends shipments gone out yet?

All that stuff is inside the Gloomhaven box, or should be.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Countblanc posted:

All that stuff is inside the Gloomhaven box, or should be.

No, I ordered them as extras. I got the core box for myself from the first kickstarter, the box I got today was for a friend but my extras are apparently shipping separately.

Unless you’re suggesting I open my friend’s box and swipe his minis and dials, in which case i like the cut of your jib!

Frush
Jun 26, 2008

misguided rage posted:

Unfortunately it costs 150 gold, I wasn't able to accumulate that much before retiring. It didn't help that the rest of my party hoovered up gold and chests like it was their job, it's hard to compete for coins as the slow cragheart.

The most heartbreaking thing was getting off a really good unstable upheaval and killing five or six guys, and then standing helplessly in the middle of a sea of coins while a teammate loots them all in one go.

Yeah, I hear you on the loot hoovering. Fortunately (?) for me my life goal is Kill 15 Vermlings so I'm willing to bet I have time to collect some gold.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

head58 posted:

No, I ordered them as extras. I got the core box for myself from the first kickstarter, the box I got today was for a friend but my extras are apparently shipping separately.

Unless you’re suggesting I open my friend’s box and swipe his minis and dials, in which case i like the cut of your jib!

....are you really sure they're shipping separately? The game is shipped out with stickers on the edges instead of shrink-wrapped because they have been dumping extras inside. Solo scenarios at least are definitely in mine.

e: hahahahahahaha that's incredible VVVVVV

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Dec 14, 2017

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

food court bailiff posted:

....are you really sure they're shipping separately? The game is shipped out with stickers on the edges instead of shrink-wrapped because they have been dumping extras inside. Solo scenarios at least are definitely in mine.

The reason for the stickers is that the factory didn't have a shrink wrap machine that the box fit in.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

silvergoose posted:

Funny how you seem to be describing a spellweaver using fire orbs with eagle eye goggles.

Just waiting for 30 gold.....

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Eagle eye are great on anyone who hits multiple baddies.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Yeah, my extras were inside the game box as well.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Update today.

US

At this point, FunAgain has reported to me that all main game boxes have gone out to backers. In order to get them out as quickly as possible, though, they did not include any add-ons in those shipments, which I know has been a concern for a lot of you. If the packing list they sent you doesn't have your add-ons in it, don't panic. They will basically be tackling all of the add-ons a separate fulfillment project in the near future. This unfortunately also includes all the upgrade packs, so I will be working with FunAgain to get this fulfillment going as soon as we can.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Yeah I’m not being clear. All the stuff is inside the box I got today, which I picked up for a friend. I was hoping I’d also receive the upgrade pack for the copy of the game I got back in January from the first kickstarter.

But by the power of complaining on the Internet Isaac has just sent an update answering my question ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
OK let me get this straight (and thanks for the help so far!!) If an attack modifier card for a monster has shield or retaliate then that doesn't come into play until the monster's turn, but if the monster has it on its card then it's active all the time?

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Lorini posted:

OK let me get this straight (and thanks for the help so far!!) If an attack modifier card for a monster has shield or retaliate then that doesn't come into play until the monster's turn, but if the monster has it on its card then it's active all the time?

Attack modifier cards are the -1, 0, +1, etc. Some of the player versions have shield on them, but the monster attack modifiers are just the basic 20 plus any curses or blessings they or you put in there.

If you mean the ability cards you are right.

Note that Retaliate still works if you stun the monster, disarm them or you turn invisible.
It is not an attack and not affected by stuff that modifies an attack.

However, it does not trigger if the enemy is dead or if you pushed it out of melee range.

Unless their retaliate has a range stated.
Yes, there are ranged retaliate monsters.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
If it's on the card that you stick in the sleeve to tell you stats, then yes, that's an inherent part of the monster. Flame Demons, for example, have Armor and Retaliate no matter what, and their elites start to become real bastards to deal with as the levels go up. Completely regardless of initiative, they will always punch back unless you killed them with that attack (I hate them so much).

If it's on the action card they flip over for that turn, they don't get the benefit until they actually perform their action. So if there's an enemy that's flipping over something like, Armor 2 Retaliate 2, you can still sneak in and stab them before they have a chance to get ready, and they won't have either benefit.

An attack modifier card is what you flip over when they're executing an actual attack--the +0s and +1s and whatnot. The monster deck doesn't get modified (thank god, that would be clunky and weird), so it will only ever be pluses or minuses.

Photux
Sep 3, 2012

Funny then, that such darkness gives me hope

Lorini posted:

The attack modifier cards are the +1, null, etc, cards drawn when an attack is made; you mean the monster ability card. But yes, if you draw a monster ability card that has shield or retaliate on it, then those don't activate until the monster takes its turn, so characters with faster initiatives can attack the monster before the shield is applied. If the shield or retaliate is on the monster's stat card, then it is always in effect.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So living bones have 1 shield by default. If their action card says 1 shield, do they have 2 shields after their initiative?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Probably because we included the wrong attack modifier deck for the monsters, but we did draw monster attack modifier cards that had shield or retaliate on them.

We had a good time but I'm uncertain when we'll play again. Have a string of Euro game sessions upcoming. Maybe today, if not then next week. Gloomhaven is not very portable and would take forever to explain to a gaming group unfamiliar with it so Euros it will be :).

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

dwarf74 posted:

So living bones have 1 shield by default. If their action card says 1 shield, do they have 2 shields after their initiative?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure shields stack. The weird part of Living Bones is that they target multiple characters every time they attack even though they're melee - unless I'm totally misinterpreting that? I don't think it would matter much to what we've played so far, we usually just play keep away with the bastards.

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS

dwarf74 posted:

Yes

As for the area of effect discussion above, a monster will have an attack action that targets multiple people. For each attack inside that attack action (one attack per target) you draw a different modifier card (+1/-1 etc.)

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Yeah, I'm pretty sure shields stack. The weird part of Living Bones is that they target multiple characters every time they attack even though they're melee - unless I'm totally misinterpreting that? I don't think it would matter much to what we've played so far, we usually just play keep away with the bastards.

It matters for their movement, they should be trying to get into a position where they can attack multiple people.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

We didn't realise until 10+ scenarios in that blesses and curses are removed when they're flipped, which meant that the scenarios where you get curses as a scenario effect were super hard, and then when two of us upgraded cards with Bless we had a scenario where at the end the Scoundrel's modifier deck had seven blesses in it. It was pretty silly.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Aston posted:

We didn't realise until 10+ scenarios in that blesses and curses are removed when they're flipped, which meant that the scenarios where you get curses as a scenario effect were super hard, and then when two of us upgraded cards with Bless we had a scenario where at the end the Scoundrel's modifier deck had seven blesses in it. It was pretty silly.

Did you think the sanctuary of the great Oak just gave you 2 more x2 cards forever :stare: for 10 gold?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Yeah, I'm pretty sure shields stack.
Cool, that's how we ran it. Thanks!

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Bombadilillo posted:

Did you think the sanctuary of the great Oak just gave you 2 more x2 cards forever :stare: for 10 gold?

I imagine they thought it was until the end of the scenario like I did until I read that post.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Bombadilillo posted:

It matters for their movement, they should be trying to get into a position where they can attack multiple people.

Eh, that was never a concern in Scenario 1- between the door and the furniture in their room I'm very confident they've never had an opportunity for that in our plays. I'll keep it in mind going forward though.

e: Actually that raises a question for me, I'm assuming that if a monster gets a multi-target on their card for the round it only applies when their initiative turn comes up, and - assuming the multi-target is below it - wouldn't be in play when determining focus for a Move, right?

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Dec 14, 2017

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Eh, that was never a concern in Scenario 1- between the door and the furniture in their room I'm very confident they've never had an opportunity for that in our plays. I'll keep it in mind going forward though.

e: Actually that raises a question for me, I'm assuming that if a monster gets a multi-target on their card for the round it only applies when their initiative turn comes up, and - assuming the multi-target is below it - wouldn't be in play when determining focus for a Move, right?

I don't have rules reference but I'm pretty sure they want to get in the best position for the attack they are going to do. Some monsters are default melee with no range on their monster sleeve card. But they have the occasional ranged attack in the deck, they move away from people to not have disadvantage.

Monsters make the 'best' move then can with knowledge of what attack they will use. If they aren't attacking. e.g. "move +0, shield 2" they default to move as if making a melee attack.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Monster shields stack, but do our shields stack? Like if the Brute has both an armour item and his shield card up, can he use that to block two damage?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Yes, shields stack.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Jordan7hm posted:

Monster shields stack, but do our shields stack? Like if the Brute has both an armour item and his shield card up, can he use that to block two damage?

Yes.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Do monster shields or retaliate abilities drawn from their attack deck last until the end of the round or the start of their next turn?

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Doorknob Slobber posted:

I imagine they thought it was until the end of the scenario like I did until I read that post.

That's right, we were at least taking them out at the end of each scenario.

Photux
Sep 3, 2012

Funny then, that such darkness gives me hope

Spikes32 posted:

Do monster shields or retaliate abilities drawn from their attack deck last until the end of the round or the start of their next turn?

End of the round. The only things that last until next turn are status effects like stun, disarm, strengthen, etc, which last till end of next turn.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Aston posted:

Oh wow, that explains why that scenario was so frustrating. I was wondering how you’re supposed to deal with a huge pile of nulls reshuffling themselves back in constantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Bombadilillo posted:

I don't have rules reference but I'm pretty sure they want to get in the best position for the attack they are going to do. Some monsters are default melee with no range on their monster sleeve card. But they have the occasional ranged attack in the deck, they move away from people to not have disadvantage.

Monsters make the 'best' move then can with knowledge of what attack they will use. If they aren't attacking. e.g. "move +0, shield 2" they default to move as if making a melee attack.

Also, losing disadvantage is a higher priority for monsters than hitting additional targets.