Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Burkion posted:

How far in are you, or did you finish season 2

I'm on Season 1, episode 6 or 7 I think. They just did a big tonal shift where Haruka joins the Extermination Team and is adjusting to life with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Keep us posted when you get to season 2, since that's the more

Divisive one.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

As long as they don't scrimp on the budget for the fight scenes. Love me some wire flying.

Rent-a-Bot
Oct 21, 2012

FOOL! DOCTOR DOOM DOES AS HE PLEASES!
:gaz: :gaz: :gaz:
Hi just dropping by to say Kamen Rider Amazons Season 2 is the best story arc in the entirety of post-decade rider shows, and the only reason I qualify this statement is because I haven't actually finished any of the older series.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I just loving can't even front I love season 2 so much. Once I realized what it was doing and I was sure it was going to have the balls to go all the way with it, because it would have been SO EASY to just wuss out

MMM Baby

Absolutely not for everyone but man. And yeah the fights remain top notch- maybe better than season 1. The film quality itself is definitely a step up. Suit quality is also top notch.

And no one dreads the up coming movie more than me, let me tell you.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I knew Amazons was meant for an older audience but I won't lie, I really spent most of it worried that they were doing to do some dumb bullshit "Chihiro actually gets through to Iyu and she regains her emotions."

I was very pleased to see what actually happened.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
So no more Super Hero Taisent movies :shrug:

they were usually pretty under whelming and tended not to actually focus on the current series anyway.

http://tokusatsunetwork.com/2017/12/shinichiro-shirakura-announces-discontinuation-super-hero-taisen-films/

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

mateo360 posted:

So no more Super Hero Taisent movies :shrug:

they were usually pretty under whelming and tended not to actually focus on the current series anyway.

http://tokusatsunetwork.com/2017/12/shinichiro-shirakura-announces-discontinuation-super-hero-taisen-films/

Wait, what? Does this refer to the Kamen Rider X Super Sentai Super Hero Taisen ones? If so then yeah kill'em, Super Super Hero Taisen was a disappointment and Wars Z barely had the Sentai in it at all. First one was okay.

I hope it doesn't refer to the Rider/Sentai double feature short movies because Ex-Aid's half, True Ending, was fantastic.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Wait, what? Does this refer to the Kamen Rider X Super Sentai Super Hero Taisen ones? If so then yeah kill'em, Super Super Hero Taisen was a disappointment and Wars Z barely had the Sentai in it at all. First one was okay.

I hope it doesn't refer to the Rider/Sentai double feature short movies because Ex-Aid's half, True Ending, was fantastic.

It doesn't. The usual Sentai and Rider movies are still going to happen as normal, but the big crossover movies that were always of incredibly poor quality (I have so many words about Chou Super Hero Taisen...) are done for. Instead, that space will be used for more unique and unexpected things apparently, like the Amazons movie.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

No loss then. It had some conceptually neat things, but yeah, a lot of goofy (in a bad way) formulaic crap.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Blaze Dragon posted:

It doesn't. The usual Sentai and Rider movies are still going to happen as normal, but the big crossover movies that were always of incredibly poor quality (I have so many words about Chou Super Hero Taisen...) are done for. Instead, that space will be used for more unique and unexpected things apparently, like the Amazons movie.

Oh good, all is well then.

I probably have as many for Chou myself. That was just an aggressively bad and uninteresting movie. I can't wait for True Ending to come out so people can see a very similar story done infinitely better.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

What's so bad about Chou?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
It was pretty bad. Not aggressively so, just badly prioritized.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I guess aggressively was too strong. It wasn't the worst thing I've ever seen, but it was really disappointing and pretty boring on top of that. Most of the whole concept of the game world and pitting themed teams of Sentai and Riders together was completely wasted since the majority of the fights take place off screen or are over in seconds, and the main plot with the kid is pretty bad and only redeemed at all by involving Naga at the end. I was really excited for it from the previews and felt so let down afterward that I react stronger to it than I should.

Topolino
Aug 6, 2004
Maniaco omicida.
Chou assambles a team with returning cast, then wastes them completely. Like, what was the point of bringing back zolda and aoninger and the rest if these characters are not going to do anything with the plot. It could not even bother doing fan service right. At least Kamen Sentai Gorider is pretty good. Easily the worst Ex-Aid related thing, and Ex-Aid had that awful tone deaf Kamen Rider Brave special.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Chou Super Hero Taisen just felt really unsure of what it wanted to do with the whole Rider/Sentai tournament thing. Emu enters to get the Game World guys to join him!...but they never do, and this is never brought up. Instead, he (and the returning cameos) get the power of the GoRiders, allowing them to use any Rider and Sentai power ever!...which they never do, they just summon one mecha each and that's all. Even worse, Momotaros gets the DenLiner, meaning he does nothing as MomoRider that he couldn't do as Den-O!

But well, at least it'll give us epic fights with so many powers and both franchises in, right?! Nope. All of them are quick, boring, and don't even bother to show cool moves.

It's just a massive waste of time when it could've been very impressive fanservice.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Hey which one was it that had Space Sheriff Gavan be willing to DESTROY THE EARTH instead of trusting the heroes?

You know, the same Gavan that is one of the greatest heroes in Toku history and actively plotted around similar situations before? Who would absolutely never just go "Well let's blow up Earth and everyone on it"

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Burkion posted:

Hey which one was it that had Space Sheriff Gavan be willing to DESTROY THE EARTH instead of trusting the heroes?

You know, the same Gavan that is one of the greatest heroes in Toku history and actively plotted around similar situations before? Who would absolutely never just go "Well let's blow up Earth and everyone on it"

Super Hero Taisen Z if I don't badly remember. It gets points because it makes spotlight-stealer Gai/GokaiSilver far more likable than he was in Gokaiger itself, but yeah, it also makes Geki incredibly unlikable.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Burkion posted:

Its a different Gavan. The original died in the movie and was replaced by a hot headed young buck.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

coconono posted:

Its a different Gavan. The original died in the movie and was replaced by a hot headed young buck.

No, no, he didn't die

He got promoted to head of the space police thing and was going to blow up the planet while the idiot who replaced him incompetented around on Earth for a while

I'm not going to lie my favorite thing about the Gavan movie might be that the original Gavan just beats the poo poo out of his replacement until he learns to man the gently caress up

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Is Gavan 2012 worth watching if I refuse to watch a TV show that debuted on the air while I was a fetus? People talk about Gavan a lot it seems, and Toei seems to think people are interested in him, but it can't be because everyone's watching tapes of a show from 82. Be real here.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Craptacular! posted:

Is Gavan 2012 worth watching if I refuse to watch a TV show that debuted on the air while I was a fetus? People talk about Gavan a lot it seems, and Toei seems to think people are interested in him, but it can't be because everyone's watching tapes of a show from 82. Be real here.

I'm

This

Seriously?

Seriously man?

I mean

Really?

I mean

Seriously?

I'm not going to be mean and I'm not going to make fun of you. Are you being serious about this right now? Like, think about this logically, think about what you just said and why it is wrong and how it applies to the entire history of media

To answer your baffling, confused question that I really hope was some weird stupid joke,

You do not technically have to know anything about Gavan to watch the 2012 solo movie, but it would help if you had some understanding of who the character was because he's a thing in the movie and his organization is as well. The movie is a celebration of the original series while introducing a new Gavan for the next generation, to middling success.

What you might enjoy more is Space Sheriff Gavan VS Gokaiger, which pretty much perfectly encapsulates why Gavan is an all time great Toku hero.

EDIT: Like, it sounds like you're trying to say Gavan is inherently not worth watching because it's

Old?

I guess?

Which, if 1982 is your cut off point for media being too old, I'm sorry to hear that. That's a lot of movies you won't ever get to enjoy I guess

Burkion fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Dec 15, 2017

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I can't stand western movies from the 50s but can watch ones made today, some genres just have a freshness date to people that if you go before it just strains your ability to watch it unless it's exceptional. For my viewing of live action Japanese TV shows, that's probably around 1987 or thereabouts. Some of that's just because if you go further back the visible wires and poor special effects become more and more difficult to ignore, some of it (probably most of it) is because Japan's cinematography at least in TV was regularly about a decade behind ours for a long time. And like a lot of people, I mentally accept MMPR as my oldest touchstone and view anything older than it like a historical amusement.

People have preferences, man. I watched a couple clips of Ultraseven, and I admit it was better produced than I expected given it's age, but I also don't think I could sit through an entire series of it. Consider I said "because I have too many shows to watch already" if it bothers you that much, I just wondered if there was an avenue for newbies to get into Gavan because this stuff is for kids and if you think I'm bad about old TV you haven't showed a kid 35 year old TV shows. When I was a kid, I didn't want to watch movies and TV from the 40s-50s, either.

That old Gavan show might be great, but to today's kids it might as well be as Howdy Doody was to me.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Dec 15, 2017

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I just cannot get into that kind way of thinking at all. I was raised on a mix of older TV and movies from way before I was born so maybe that's a reason for it, but something being old has never been an issue for me.

Some of the best movies ever made are still from the 30s and 50s- Bride of Frankenstein, Godzilla 1954, Seven Samurai

Like yeah the effects become more obvious over time or were always obvious, but it's not like that's changed.

I don't know, I just can't let the age of something get in my way of enjoying it. Some things are kind of great because of how old and dated they are. You brought up UltraSeven, so I'll bring up Kamen Rider- Kamen Rider is a series that wishes it was UltraSeven, despite being made five years later.

The fights, the effects, the cinematography, the suit work, all of it is so much lower quality that it's kind of amazing. You just get used to it and enjoy the ride for what it was and is. I'll have a big write up on Kamen Rider 1971 soon-ish but yeah.

It's not like it's because I'm an old rear end in a top hat either. I was born in 1991. I was just always exposed to older stuff growing up due to family and the like.

So, yeah, I guess I do find it ridiculous to say "Get real" about watching an older show. It's not that unbelievable but that's my personal history speaking.

To fully answer your Gavan question, yes it's entirely because of the original show. Space Sheriff Gavan spawned the entire metal hero subgenre that did not stretch much past the 90s, though it's presence can still be felt in Kamen Rider. It's just an insane fast paced show with iconic, memorable things that, if you're inclined to things like it, still holds up today.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Nah, my girlfriend is like that, too. She doesn't want to watch anything made before like the mid-90s. We were about to watch Gremlins the other night, but like as soon as it got past the WB sign she was like "WAIT HOLY CRAP IS THIS OLD?"
She was also weirded out when Twin Peaks was old, too.

It is a flaw I can live with, but I'm still going to try and pull off some kind of acclimation thing with Indiana Jones or something :v:

e: It's also mildly amusing, because she's the same age as me.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I'm sure some of it is just the bias of personal experience. A lot of 80s stuff can still feel relevant to me, and then I stop and think, "wait a minute, this pop culture is so old today, that when it was new a similarly old program would be as old as The Honeymooners and Walt Disney's Zorro. I can't speak for anyone else but when I turned 30, I didn't feel old yet but I began to look at culture and realized that pop culture showed that I was indeed pretty drat old.

Some of the reason I can put up with 20 year old television and less with 30 year old television is just because some culture lasts a long time (The Muppets technically went back to the 50s) and part of that is because of the much-discussed shift in media around the 80s where pop culture never fades away and instead just keeps being called back to endlessly therefore remaining relevant in our minds. If anything becomes in danger of fading away, we'll just make poo poo like Ready Player One to overstate it's significance.

EDIT: Keep in mind I can enjoy stuff like Indiana Jones movies etc because this stuff is what filled the VHS cabinet when I was young. Yeah, there's the scene where Mom tells you to look away, but Raiders and Star Wars are technically older than me but feel fresh enough that I can live with them.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I think I've gone into this before, but my history with toku is as follows

I've been a Godzilla fan since before I can even remember anything, same with Power Rangers though I weirdly remember late MMPR and early season 2 despite how young I was- Dragon Zord was the christmas present I wanted for the longest time that I never got and you can trace my love of MMPR to the DragonZord to Godzilla

(I basically have three main loves that everything branches from- Jason Voorhees, Godzilla, RoboCop. Everything else you can trace from them)

UltraSeven I got introduced to thanks to a TNT Monstervision Godzilla marathon where the tape went over the three movies and got three episodes of Seven but I didn't get to learn anything about the Ultra franchise as a whole until the 2000s. That was what got me into toku in general though it'd be a while before I could get into any of it- Bioman was my first Sentai in the mid 2000s through the English dub and after that I got Kamen Rider Black on bootleg DVDs and whatever else. I just loved practical effects and monsters and the like and I loved the action in toku series so I just looked into everything and anything I could.

Over time I made connections and got ahold of other things and then I finally got real non dial up internet around 2012 and that opened even more doors.

Like, you don't know how frustrating it is that I could more easily track down random obscure rear end slasher films from the late 70s than something made in the 90s just because it was from Japan.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Burkion posted:

(I basically have three main loves that everything branches from- Jason Voorhees, Godzilla, RoboCop. Everything else you can trace from them)
This is totally not toku-related and a bit of a derail for a moment, but I am curious how a kid can be into F13. I never knew it existed until I was taken to the 1989 Batman film (I was almost seven, a fact that has caused other people to think my parents were either really progressive or really crazy) and one of the trailers was this. It's a good thing I really liked that Batman film, because the next six years or so of my life that night was memorable both for "man Batman is awesome" and "jesus gently caress F13 no no no". Also that movie probably eased up my ability to think guys in suits beating people up is awesome, because I can deal with Batman movies, even the really campy and bad ones, more easily than I can digest Batman comic books. (Which I do, but they don't really represent my childhood.)

I have never seen RoboCop, because no matter how crazy my parents might seem taking a six year old to watch Jack Nicholson play The Joker, I was never ever allowed to see RoboCop, no matter how many arcade games and wrestling storylines he showed up in.

Otherwise, for me it was PR, it's spinoffs and copies, and the random-as-gently caress appearance of Kamen Rider ZO on Sega CD while PR was still going through it's first to second season transition.

EDIT: Oh, i was one of those kids that liked TMNT in it's most kid-friendly formats for years before PR. So, that's why I was "too old" for PR but still into it, I suppose. MMPR was like a TMNT where Raph was leading like he should be.

EDIT 2: I just realized given your age that you also would have gotten into F13 after New Line destroyed the franchise, since my childhood trailer story is older than you and after part 8 it really goes downhill.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Dec 15, 2017

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Craptacular! posted:

This is totally not toku-related and a bit of a derail for a moment, but I am curious how a kid can be into F13. I never knew it existed until I was taken to the 1989 Batman film (I was almost seven, a fact that has caused other people to think my parents were either really progressive or really crazy) and one of the trailers was this. It's a good thing I really liked that Batman film, because the next six years or so of my life that night was memorable both for "man Batman is awesome" and "jesus gently caress F13 no no no". Also that movie probably eased up my ability to think guys in suits beating people up is awesome, because I can deal with Batman movies, even the really campy and bad ones, more easily than I can digest Batman comic books. (Which I do, but they don't really represent my childhood.)

I have never seen RoboCop, because no matter how crazy my parents might seem taking a six year old to watch Jack Nicholson play The Joker, I was never ever allowed to see RoboCop, no matter how many arcade games and wrestling storylines he showed up in.

Otherwise, for me it was PR, it's spinoffs and copies, and the random-as-gently caress appearance of Kamen Rider ZO on Sega CD while PR was still going through it's first to second season transition.

EDIT: Oh, i was one of those kids that liked TMNT in it's most kid-friendly formats for years before PR. So, that's why I was "too old" for PR but still into it, I suppose.

So, I can put it this way

My dad's side of the family did not give a single gently caress about what I saw when I was over there. My grandmother on his side would watch aaaaanything no matter if I was in the room or not. Tales from the Crypt, Reptillicus, Friday the 13th- my dad was a big horror fan so I got a lot of it from him on that front. He introduced me to all of the Universal horror films and Hammer horror films. I was a fan of Jason Voorhees basically since I was 4 because he was a big hulking masked dude that was awesome and killed people in great ways. I saw Nightmare on Elm Street and Halloween as well but none of them were as cool to my dumb child mind as Jason.

RoboCop is the polar opposite- that came from my mom's side of the family, because my uncle had a VHS of it and let me watch it when I was way, WAY too young to watch stuff like that and it just became one of my favorite movies of all time.

My childhood VHS collection was basically any Godzilla film I could find, Land Before Time 2, and RoboCop. I was also born in that awkward period after TMNT was huge but while they were still sort of around, so my child hood TMNT is entirely the first and second movie Turtles.

Basically as a kid I became super desensitized to any kind of violence or normal horror movies. Though that one episode of Tales from the Crypt where the husband taxidermies all of his wife's pets only for her to do the same to him creeped me right the gently caress out. I remember that vividly because it was the one episode of Tales that I never wanted to watch again.

Ultra violence was just fun to me in movies because I had a very clear understanding that this was fake. I also had some, in retrospect, weird as hell nights at my grandma's over there. I'd go from watching some late night horror thing on HBO or something to Digimon early the next morning.

...so in retrospect my perspective may be super skewed. I also know for a fact that not every kid was like I was because my nieces are the exact opposite. They're both really easy to spook and half the things I watched would have traumatized them.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I had no idea about Paramount or New Line, I just watched stuff that was on Cinemax or HBO or whatever my dad had recorded to VHS. So I don't think I saw Jason Goes to Hell until way later than the original 8 movies.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Tales From The Crypt did have some kid appeal, since it went from one of the earliest HBO originals to a broadcast Saturday morning cartoon. I only assume they saw kids do what I did: say “oh cool here’s that Muppet zombie” and then leave disinterested when real people appeared on the screen.

My Dad was the degenerate who could watch anything. My mother could go along for some stuff and put her foot down for others. Batman is okay, RoboCop isn’t, Ninja Turtles was fine, Power Rangers was violent (and I’m too old for it anyway), Disneyland roller coasters are fine, but that rocket ship themed Dumbo copy is 40’ in the air and that’s unacceptable.

I finally watched an F13 when I was about 20, and of course I was alone and watching the Carrie clone where Jason’s mask melts down to reveal a typical Garo monster underneath.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah that's not why my grandmother let me watch Tales.

She just straight up did not care what I watched. If it scared me it scared me, didn't matter what the content was. I didn't even know about the Tales cartoon funnily enough despite being the right age range for it.

So yeah I guess I've just always been weirdly out of step with what is more current to watch because I was always watching a backlog of other stuff.

I actually DID watch the Walt Disney 1950s Zorro TV series on the Disney Vault late night, and then I'd watch reruns of Married with Children after it was done. That about sums up my experiance as a child. Movies, RoboCop and Land Before Time- TV, Married with Children and 1950s Zorro.

I'm a fairly big fan of Doctor Who now, but when I was a kid? I think I saw the TV movie when it came out but I didn't even know what it was until the revival started in 2005. And then some years into the revival I got my hands on the Tomb of the Cybermen and my dumb little heart just lept for joy at all of the cheesy great things.

I think I'm more forgiving of older movies and shows by and large because of their age. A lot of them invented what we take for granted now, and definitely pre-date them.

To take things back to Space Sheriff Gavan, that is a show where their reach was *ALWAYS* beyond their grasp.

From the very goddamn design of Gavan himself, they never once managed to get a hold of anything they wanted to do in any realistic way.

Gavan is a space cop that fights multiple monsters per episode along with an army of aliens and he fights across an LSD dimension in a black hole and then fights giant monsters using his loving space ship laser dragon transformer.

He has a light saber and glowing eyes and a chromed out suit that is so 80s that it is the inspiration for RoboCop's design, not joking, but the idea of it was so loving beyond their grasp that they NEVER MADE IT WORK.

The Chrome Hero Suit for Gavan was never in anything other than the stock footage, and even there you can see all of the flaws of the idea at the time because the chrome is badly damaged and reflects everything. The actual suits they use vary from this really soft foam looking material that's a flat grey, to this ugly white hard plastic thing that's just a nightmare.

It's kind of amazing honestly just how much they wanted and tried to do VS what they could actually do.

The chrome suit idea now barely works, it's no where near as reflective as they wanted it to be even in the new Gavan stuff.

Yet I can't take any of that stuff as a negative because it's just a lot of fun despite that. For me the problem is never with production value or anything like that

The real problem is that Gavan has one of the most rear end backwards transformations in the history of tokusatsu. It's cool and neat to see like, once or twice, but if you try to watch more than one episode of Gavan it gets to you REAL fast. THAT is where the age of Gavan betrays its subjective quality entirely because it is very clearly not a show meant to be watched more than one a week.

Kamen Rider 1971 was also not meant to be watched more than one a week, but we'll get to that soon.

The funny thing is, I don't think there could be a modern Space Sheriff show that takes after Gavan just because the budget would be enormous. Gavan dealt with End of Sentai level poo poo every goddamn episode, with fleets of ships chasing him down and the like. It mostly got away with that thanks to Stock Footage but nowadays we wouldn't put up with that.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Burkion posted:

I'm a fairly big fan of Doctor Who now, but when I was a kid? I think I saw the TV movie when it came out but I didn't even know what it was until the revival started in 2005. And then some years into the revival I got my hands on the Tomb of the Cybermen and my dumb little heart just lept for joy at all of the cheesy great things.

That's just being an American. As a nation that exports way more entertainment than we import, we don't particularly grab onto foreign TV shows unless they gather a black sheep following that suddenly explodes like Downton Abbey or gets adapted (oh god let's not draw comparisons between Power Rangers and The Office US here thanks). Canadians had the reboot on basic TV in primetime within a reasonable time-frame, whereas Americans had it months later on a niche cable network and many people wouldn't know it existed at all until halfway into Moffat's run.

Sounds like Gavan is peak "let's make a Star War", maybe even more so than Bioman.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Space Sheriff Gavan is a toku classic because it does all the cool stuff that later series would make even cooler. It does some absolutely gorgeous visual effects(that 70s style hazy soft light filming, delicious), the acting's pretty decent. It's pretty lacking in the show to show metaplot and the episodic plots eventually devolve into a weird madlib affair. I think I almost completed the series before tapping out. I was starting to yell ELECTROPLATE in my sleep. Pretty bad.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

coconono posted:

Space Sheriff Gavan is a toku classic because it does all the cool stuff that later series would make even cooler. It does some absolutely gorgeous visual effects(that 70s style hazy soft light filming, delicious), the acting's pretty decent. It's pretty lacking in the show to show metaplot and the episodic plots eventually devolve into a weird madlib affair. I think I almost completed the series before tapping out. I was starting to yell ELECTROPLATE in my sleep. Pretty bad.

The transformation just kills Gavan on a week to week thing.

To explain, every transforming hero from the time they were made to like, the 2000s, had stock footage transformations.

I think Kuuga may have started the trend to buck that and have the instant transformations that Kamen Rider is more fond of now. Though notably, UltraSeven was the first one to have an on screen instant transformation though he would do it infrequently and it wasn't really feasible until Kuuga's time.

But Gavan was a unique case.

Where in, say, MMPR the morphing sequence can be a pump you up moment, a sign that the action is about to take off, Gavan is the exact opposite.

The difference is in how it's done.

With MMPR, (and EVERY OTHER SHOW) the stock footage is part of the action. The yget to the point where they need to morph, start the call, stock footage takes over and carries us into the fight. Good, clean, elegant.

Gavan is a horrible nightmare where the action builds up to a climatic moment, Gavan transforms and poses

And then the episode stops and the narrator kicks in, killing ALL MOMENTUM, as the narrator drones on about stopping and going back to see it again. And we get the stock footage of his space ship coming down to Earth and get his transformation call *AGAIN* and then see it slowly cover him and the narrator explains how long it took for him to transform and then he poses and *THEN* the episode starts back up again.

Once or twice they did this more than once in an episode.

It was baffling and infuriating, especially when in the REALLY special episodes, they show a far more coherent way to do it! He does the call, we see the ship arrive, armor him up, and bam episode continues. Nothing is stopped, the narrator doesn't break the fourth wall, everything just goes

Gavan is still one of the all time greats for me, and its finale is just really goddamn good, but the series as a whole takes a massive ding because its transformation sequence is the most obnoxious thing in the world.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I wanted to see what you were talking about, so I searched Gavan on YouTube and got some newer HD era video where I think they deliberately called that out by having the guy morph and then a narrator babbled on about something (there was no translation) and then I watched a spaceship fly and fire magical beam particles which caused them to do the henshin a second time with a different background. :stare:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Craptacular! posted:

I wanted to see what you were talking about, so I searched Gavan on YouTube and got some newer HD era video where I think they deliberately called that out by having the guy morph and then a narrator babbled on about something (there was no translation) and then I watched a spaceship fly and fire magical beam particles which caused them to do the henshin a second time with a different background. :stare:

At this point it's basically a meme that's not actually a joke with Gavan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXSa4Sicngg

He even does it *NOW*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y41ZRRG4exs

This is a prime example, and it shows the MANY different stunt suits they used for poor Gavan. You get the soft grey one, the Stock Footage Chrome Suit and the awful hard plastic white one

The most confusing thing is, HE'S THE ONLY ONE THAT DOES IT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7h7j0Me436U

The other two Space Sheriffs both have more natural transformations. They don't transform and then have the episode stop and go over it!

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Burkion posted:

At this point it's basically a meme that's not actually a joke with Gavan

That absolutely fantastic moment in Sharivan Next where Ryoma Baba talks up his Estevan transformation process to the guy he's fighting like Gavan's narrator and then immediately goes "But you're probably not interested in all that, are you?"

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
We need an Akibaranger season 3 where a new hero shows up, and when he begins doing poses a couple lackeys appear and set a desk behind him and an old man sits down and then the combat suit appears and the old man nervously reads from the paper this dialogue about how amazing that transformation was and how cool this new hero is. And then it changes to an instant replay and the narrator is like "let's take an in-depth look at what happened here so we can appreciate how awesome it is" while the Akibas are like "We just saw this already! The audience saw it!"

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

More like we just need an Akibaranger season 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
If we get a new Akiba, there needs to be a gag about them wondering what a late night Kamen Rider series would be like, seeing a parody of the Amazons, and going that it looks too dramatic.