Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Neurolimal posted:

Hell. Yes.

I hope this is successful so we get more Sentinel-sculpted model kits. I would absolutely adore a House of M Iron Man kit.

I want that Gurren Lagann that Sentinel made years ago turned into a model kit. I love that design but gently caress buying it now at the prices it goes for. I'm also hoping that they'll convert Sentinel's upcoming Shin Getter Robo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Considering how simple a lot of Go Nagai's original designs were, it's an absolute travesty that they don't have more high quality kits.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My PG Exia LED showed up finally! Fuckin' mailman gave it to someone else on accident. I love the box, I'm just waiting on a lamp replacement.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Someone in the reddit Secret Santa got gifted the PG Exia Lighting Model.....

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Puddin posted:

drat, that's fuckin' lucky.

Not me, I got an MG Geara Doga which will go nicely with my other MG Geara Doga. Now I just have to build up the willpower to build two identical MGs back to back.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Puddin posted:

someone in ours gifted a nintendo switch. Its actually a dick move when there is a suggested spending amount and you make other feel their gifting/gift was inadequate

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
I like the reddit one in the sense its just a free for all, your not paired with the person you are buying for. But yeah, it kinda is a bit overboard.

A place I deliver to has a secret santa wishlist where everyone puts down to the value of $25 dollars what they want and I kinda think, whats the point of actually doing secret santa if you know what your gonna get? Just buy the drat things yourselves.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Neurolimal posted:

My only real complaint is that the concept art they're showing there has the arms & shoulders too skinny, they may be dwarfed by the feet the size of a small city each, and the thrusters-slash-fleet cruisers, but they're still pretty chunky for a gundam.

I wish there was a third party company that made Gundams bulkier and boxier than the official versions.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Have you looked at resin conversion kits? If not I have some good news for you.

https://www.gk-hobby.com/products/super-g-recast-korean-ms-build-1100-rx-93-nu-gundam-ver-ka-conversion-kit-1-2-2-1

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Puddin posted:

reddit's gunpla secret santa seems nuts. I've seen posts of people who got pg's gifted to them, others with multiple expensive kits.

Hell a guy in my local gunpla group got 4 mg's out of it.

Of course there's also some who only send one measly hg :v:.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

MJP posted:

14. Box size: small suburban single-family dwelling

So was their Zeong kit actually a huge piece of poo poo or was that one imgur album guy just unlucky?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I wouldn't be surprised if most people are still building the thing.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

I like that a lot. Not just because I love boxy robots, but it's well designed. I always criticize third parties for adding details thoughtlessly, but that one has that motif of raised rectangular panels across most of the major parts, and little hatches that open to reveal mechanical things are always good.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Guy Goodbody posted:

I like that a lot. Not just because I love boxy robots, but it's well designed. I always criticize third parties for adding details thoughtlessly, but that one has that motif of raised rectangular panels across most of the major parts, and little hatches that open to reveal mechanical things are always good.

I posted that one because I legit like it. It's an extremely good beefy boi.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
So has anybody here gotten the AF Studio Refined Barzam conversion kit that uses the RG Gundam MKII Titan as its base?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Following up, what was particularly bad about the MG ZZ? Was it always falling apart (since it's a modular AND transforming kit)? Because if I were to build a MG FAZZ I would just pose it really simply with a stand and let it terrify my deskmates to submission.

I'm building a shortlist of gunpla to get with my 13th month pay, any thoughts on these?

1. 1/100 Graze Custom
2. 1/100 Avalanche Exia
3. MG Master Gundam
4. MG Sword Impulse Gundam
5. MG ReGZ
6. MG FAZZ (if it's not that bad)
x. HGBF 1/144 Miss Sazabi (for my GF)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

The Graze Custom's pretty alright. Bit basic compared to a modern MG, but it's got a lot of kit to mess with so you get the look you want for the suit.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I really like the Miss Sazabi, it's pretty big and stable for an HG. Can't wait to paint it as I hate the colors though, but I'm also not super into the anime it's from.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
I'm putting together a 1/100 Graze and it's a lot of fun, like a real big HG with extra gimmicks (moving pistons, verniers, head stuff).

The Graze Kai looks cool, I wish they included that huge cannon in the HG.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Well, the Moderoid line at the very least isn't going to be a one-hit wonder with Mazinkaiser.

GOD MARS MODEL KIT.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Schneider Heim posted:

6. MG FAZZ (if it's not that bad)

It is that bad. One of my friends was basing a kitbash on it and gave up because the FAZZ is such a turd.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

TaurusOxford posted:

Well, the Moderoid line at the very least isn't going to be a one-hit wonder with Mazinkaiser.

GOD MARS MODEL KIT.

As long as they compress the waist so the legs aren't too long like they are on the SoC then I'm in. Though I might be in even with long legs if the price is right.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

So my local comic shop sold me a mg Justice gundam for $35, how big of a price cockup was that, I don’t even see them online under$45.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

numerrik posted:

So my local comic shop sold me a mg Justice gundam for $35, how big of a price cockup was that, I don’t even see them online under$45.

A pretty big one indeed, that's cheaper than you could even get them at a brick and mortar in Japan.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

numerrik posted:

You just robbed those people.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You have to give it back now, Them’s the rules.

Also I get to start my PG Exia LED today so goodbye life obligations I’m gonna watch a hell of a lot of bad Gundam shows

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 372 days!
Do the Ikea Detolfs work well with 1/144 kits?? With the exception of 5-6 MGs/1/100s, everything I build is RG or HG Origins kits, and the shelves seem just a touch too big for them. I figure putting all my 144s on action bases would remedy this, but the Detolf is the only suggestion anyone ever brings up when displaying gunpla so I don't know of anything else. I don't want to start building PGs just to justify owning a glass cabinet

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You should start building PGs.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
You should start building PGs.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

I’m using some IKEA Billy bookcases, they’re not fancy lighted glass all around but they hold a ton of 144s.

Also yes, start building PGs

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

tenderjerk posted:

Do the Ikea Detolfs work well with 1/144 kits?? With the exception of 5-6 MGs/1/100s, everything I build is RG or HG Origins kits, and the shelves seem just a touch too big for them. I figure putting all my 144s on action bases would remedy this, but the Detolf is the only suggestion anyone ever brings up when displaying gunpla so I don't know of anything else. I don't want to start building PGs just to justify owning a glass cabinet

You can get step risers so you can have like 4 layers of stuff, they're good.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I wonder how much better the Robot Damashii Sinanju will be than the RG? Probably a lot.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Against my better judgment, I continue going down the dark path of weathering. I just tried the hairspray technique on the re 100 efreet and it turned out pretty well, so now I'm seriously considering spending 50 bucks on an oil paint weathering set so I can layer poo poo and make oil and rain streaks and what not.

I will join the ranks of those who try way too hard to make their fantasy giant robots "realistic."

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Dec 15, 2017

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

tenderjerk posted:

I use the http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60128562/
Its way sturdier and you get more MG sized shelves.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Monaghan posted:

Against my better judgment, I continue going down the dark path of weathering. I just tried the hairspray technique on the re 100 efreet and it turned out pretty well, so now I'm seriously considering spending 50 bucks on an oil paint weathering set so I can layer poo poo and make oil and rain streaks and what not.

I will join the ranks of those who try way too hard to make their fantasy giant robots "realistic."

Seems a bit steep for a set. Have you tried just using normal artists oils?

GoBob
Jul 31, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

I wonder how much better the Robot Damashii Sinanju will be than the RG? Probably a lot.

I have the standard Damashii Sinanju, but no RG to compare it to. It's pretty solid, but finicky in a couple places. The tubing around the waist frequently pops off the skirt and the shield fairly easily pops off the connection on the shoulder armor. The waist connection is loose and can hold a tight abs crunch, but easily snaps out of a slight bend. I feel a base is best due to the backpack, unless you like messing around for a basic standing pose(looking at Dalong, it seems like they pose about the same). That said, I have no regrets with not having the RG and have no intentions of getting it.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

GoBob posted:

I have the standard Damashii Sinanju, but no RG to compare it to. It's pretty solid, but finicky in a couple places. The tubing around the waist frequently pops off the skirt and the shield fairly easily pops off the connection on the shoulder armor. The waist connection is loose and can hold a tight abs crunch, but easily snaps out of a slight bend. I feel a base is best due to the backpack, unless you like messing around for a basic standing pose(looking at Dalong, it seems like they pose about the same). That said, I have no regrets with not having the RG and have no intentions of getting it.

So it's exactly the same then. :v:

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

tenderjerk posted:

Your intuition is definitely right, they are quite tall for HGs. Personally, I use acrylic risers to give them a little more variety and verticality.

I haven't had a chance to better pose and organize them in a little while, but it gives you the idea.

This is my favorite riser for HGs, you can fit 2-4 on each row depending.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

parabolic posted:

Your intuition is definitely right, they are quite tall for HGs. Personally, I use acrylic risers to give them a little more variety and verticality.

They're a lot shallower and probably better for smaller items but Bandai also produces their own 'Collection Stage' series of risers which are 5 bucks for 2 in native pricing. (It's displayed casually!)

I'm currently using a set to show off my GM and Unicorn collections which they work for because they're all so similar you don't really need to see much of each figure to get the effect. For a more varied collection though, I think you'd want taller steps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

The Kennesaw HobbyTown is killing it ya'll. They have multiple PG Exia's, plus some 00 Raisers and a few others. They've got the MG XN Raiser, the Super Minipla Megazord and Dragonzord, and a good selection of MGs, HGs, RGs, and SDs out. It just keeps getting better, and I keep getting surprised.

Of course, they don't have any more PG Millennium Falcons, because I wasn't going to let this bad boy sit on the shelf: