Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

This is the only good movie released in 2017. It was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Ignoranus posted:

As a consequence of reading this thread, I listened to the "How Did This Get Made" episode about The Disaster Artist and it made me remember why I used to like that podcast so much. The episode includes the original episode they produced in 2011-ish about The Room (with Greg Sestero and a journalist as guests), which was really good, then a bunch of interviews with people involved in the Disaster Artist movie, including the James Franco and his brother, writers, and even Tommy and Greg together. Listening to Tommy ramble on and the host slowly going from his really enthusiastic "Get people to keep talking" "YEAH?!" style to a more subdued prompting "Right..." as Tommy just kept rambling on and on was fantastic.

In the mini-episode of HDTGM that came out after the Disaster Artist episode, Paul Scheer said that the Disaster Artist screenwriters took June's dialogue in the movie from her dialogue in the original Room episode of HDTGM.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Got to see this as a fan of schlock and bad movies but somehow very little knowledge of The Room. I imagine this applies to most people going to see Disaster Artist in the general public. Anyway, it was a blast and I hadn't laughed this hard at a film in years.

Surprisingly the theater was 2/3rds full (more than I expected). I noticed some older audience members were quieter but younger ones laughed throughout.

My theory on Tommy's bottomless finances is that he inherited money from relatives in Eastern Europe. I base this on next to nothing other than the assumption that he couldn't make millions on his own.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Tommy’s imdb now has a birthdate, place of birth, and birth name. The name matches what someone suggested might be his real name back a few years ago.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Are those Pierr stories from the book real or just what Greg thinks happened?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Things Tommy has told him, and Greg put them together, but never stated they were an outright fact.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
I loved that about the book - Greg speculates Tommy's life story and everything seems somewhat plausible but he's got no actual facts to back any of it up. Even after spending years and years with him he's still sorta clueless.

Anyway I thought the movie was great. I agree that it is sort of a missed opportunity in a way - it didn't really touch too much on Tommy's general awfulness to Greg, a lot of great stuff was cut out, and if anything it actually dialed back Tommy's personality to make him seem a bit less like the total space alien we all know he actually is. But it was still great, and James Franco (an actor I do not particularly like) was really excellent, capturing Tommy's complete impenetrability in a way I've never seen before, especially given how many Wiseau impressions I've heard. He really did his homework. Also I have to point out this was the hardest I ever laughed in a theater, at least since I snuck into Super Troopers back when I was 15.

Best scene IMO is when they assemble the cast and crew for the first time and Tommy gives his little pep talk to a sea of excited faces, which then cuts to Chris-R absolutely terrorizing Denny as the crew looks on in horror, apparently not knowing what kind of movie this actually was.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
Also maybe this is just me but I felt there was some subtext there in that James Franco has always sort of craved that sort of outsider status that Wiseau has. Franco casting himself in the lead role is exactly what Tommy did. I think if he didn't nail the performance he would have taken a lot of flack for that, especially as Franco does not particularly resemble Wiseau (and Dave Franco looks even less like Greg)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Weirdly enough I think you kind of have to sanitize some of Tommy's actions from the book because much of what he does is so alien and unknowable that a movie audience would have a hard time coming back around to sympathize with him over the course of a two-hour film. One of my favorite scenes from TDA was when Tommy was bombing in that acting class, and the director tells him that he should play more villains because it's his type. Franco has a line that's like "no I am the hero, and all of you are the villains" that I think so perfectly encapsulates his entire motivation, inasmuch as anybody can define Tommy Wiseau.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

exquisite tea posted:

Weirdly enough I think you kind of have to sanitize some of Tommy's actions from the book because much of what he does is so alien and unknowable that a movie audience would have a hard time coming back around to sympathize with him over the course of a two-hour film. One of my favorite scenes from TDA was when Tommy was bombing in that acting class, and the director tells him that he should play more villains because it's his type. Franco has a line that's like "no I am the hero, and all of you are the villains" that I think so perfectly encapsulates his entire motivation, inasmuch as anybody can define Tommy Wiseau.

Should we sympathize with him though? I think in the book we sympathize with him pre-making The Room, but in the time leading up to production he becomes increasingly destructive and spiteful and eventually outright cruel.

Anyway, I just finished the book and I'm more convinced than anything that Wiseau is a true product of San Francisco. Makes sense that the city that made Jim Jones would then spit out a guy like Wiseau.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

This is the only good movie released in 2017.

Okja? Get Out? The Big Sick? Baby Driver*? :shrug:

*drat you Spacey for retroactively ruining a great movie

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Theoretically an actor should be able to play villains and heroes so yeah Tommy shouldnt settle for easy villain roles and typecasting, but at some point you should know your limits
I totally empathize with him though. Dude had a dream and somehow had enough money to make it happen, most people dont get that chance

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

I loved that because it also hints at what really makes The Room such a truly bizarre movie - Tommy Wiseau is so alien and looks so suspicious that having him play such a generic, personality-free "good guy" makes every scene he's in induce some weird sort of cognitive dissonance. No real filmmaker would ever give him a role anywhere close to this, if they'd ever cast him at all.

JAMOOOL fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Dec 18, 2017

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I dunno, he comes across as gentle and charming in his performance in The Room. And it sounds like in real life, at least in recent years, he's a pretty nice guy as well. He's really funny on that Tim & Eric episode and whatnot, just to include another performance. I don't see how he looks suspicious. But this is Heavy Metal talking.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I take it you have not read the book.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I said in recent years. And the book is 40% true according to Tommy. Just saying, he does seem more suited for nice guy roles than evil villains to me, oddly enough.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Heavy Metal posted:

according to Tommy

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I would watch a sitcom called According to Tommy.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Word to the Wiseau

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The Room is getting a wide theatrical release for one night only on January 10th. It's playing at 600 theaters across the US so just search by your zip code to see if it's playing near you. It is here!

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I bought my boyfriend 2 tickets to see the room at the prince charles theatre because he liked Disaster Artist so much. Tommy and greg will be there. I have no idea if my bf is going to be happy or mad at me.

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Dec 19, 2017

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Good crowd at the Prince Charles, I did it for my stag party early last year and it was a blast.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

EL BROMANCE posted:

I would watch a sitcom called According to Tommy.

fruit on the bottom posted:

Word to the Wiseau

As much as I love these, it HAS to be "Tommy's Planet".

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Tommy: My show has three names
Greg: Yeah, I noticed

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I love The Room and read the book and I enjoyed this movie a lot. While I can understand people being upset at certain aspects of the book being left out I feel as though the sex scene shoot was so drat uncomfortable that it mostly communicated enough about how loving creepy Tommy can get. I don't know about the phone call and driving segment, it might have made Tommy too unlikable for general movie audiences in a film that's going to be intrinsically comedic, and in any event there was so much stuff in the movie that makes him seem like a real creep and not just a 'that's our johnny!' caricature with the edges sanded off, like his constant hostility towards Amber or the way he was filming everyone on set. I was watching it with my parents (who don't know anything about the Room), they both loved it but could not believe half the stuff on screen was backed up in the book and in the Room itself so adding in some of the weirder or more unpleasant parts of Tommy's personality might have pushed it too far beyond the bonds of plausibility for much of the audience. I know that's strange to say about something that's likely a true story but it had to be considered by the film makers.

Also James Franco just absolutely disappears into the role, goddamn.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

khwarezm posted:

Yeah, the only scene where I was reminded it was Franco was when he's got his hair pulled all the way back and he's dyeing it.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Did the movie include the scene where Greg's mother tells Tommy not to have sex with her son?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Nope

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
We all do.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Speaking of Tommy, and also gay sex, I love how he handles everything. Bear with me here. Like in the various promotional things, one of those Q&A's after a Disaster Artist screening with him and James Franco etc, people say stuff about him right in front of him. Something like saying there was sexual tension between him and Greg etc, and he seems to not react to what's being said at all. I think Tommy has achieved zen.

And I just like the phenomenon more knowing we're laughing with Tommy as they say. But either way, he seems to be handling it all very well at the moment.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Dec 21, 2017

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hmm4ucEtlKM&t=172s

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That's beautiful man, good stuff.

Random note, if anybody here hasn't seen Lloyd Kaufman's behind the scenes making of documentaries for Troma, they are so drat good. Lloyd is a really nice cool guy, and we can see him go apeshit a lot on these no budget movie sets, really cool warts and all indie movie docs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4DiEz_1AIk (Farts of Darkness - making of Terror Firmer)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJFICyxV7xA (Poultry in Motion - making of Poultrygeist)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_X9FnnhC8I (Apocalypse Soon - making of Citizen Toxie)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

khwarezm posted:

I love The Room and read the book and I enjoyed this movie a lot. While I can understand people being upset at certain aspects of the book being left out I feel as though the sex scene shoot was so drat uncomfortable that it mostly communicated enough about how loving creepy Tommy can get. I don't know about the phone call and driving segment, it might have made Tommy too unlikable for general movie audiences in a film that's going to be intrinsically comedic, and in any event there was so much stuff in the movie that makes him seem like a real creep and not just a 'that's our johnny!' caricature with the edges sanded off, like his constant hostility towards Amber or the way he was filming everyone on set. I was watching it with my parents (who don't know anything about the Room), they both loved it but could not believe half the stuff on screen was backed up in the book and in the Room itself so adding in some of the weirder or more unpleasant parts of Tommy's personality might have pushed it too far beyond the bonds of plausibility for much of the audience. I know that's strange to say about something that's likely a true story but it had to be considered by the film makers.

TDA went for the comedic route but it wouldn't take many adjustments to turn the source material into a David Lynch film.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Tommy and David should work together for sure.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
I think after ten minutes, Lynch would want to stab Wiseau with an ice pick.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Tommy would try to teach Lynch about filmmaking. He’d also try to take the camera home.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Heavy Metal posted:

Tommy and David should work together for sure.

And Herzog should make a documentary about it.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
I have not laughed to the point of having tears streaming down my face for years, and then the last scene happened.

Tommy Wiseau is not a nice man by any standards, and he leans more towards being oddly endearing than actually achieving any kind of personal redemption, but I'm glad that he exists.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

He could be saving kittens and whatnot as we speak. And David Lynch worked with Robert Blake, I'm sure Tommy would be fine. I haven't really heard horror stories about working with him as an actor in recent years. Give Tommy a chance, SA thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I don't know what you're trying to say. The book and some videos paint him as complex, he can be sweet and he can also be a huge creepy weird, and also a huge rear end in a top hat.

:shrug:

• Locked thread