Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Radish posted:

Yeah that retcon by Justice League after Batman Beyond had finished still really annoys me.

I generally prefer to imagine it doesn't exist. It just adds nothing. We already had the JLU finale and it doesn't even function as a Batman Beyond finale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

Why are you all twisting so hard to make Endeavor a good guy.

He isn't even that interesting a character. All he has is the contrast between being a good hero and an insanely lovely person.

sarcophallus is an awful person

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

CharlestheHammer posted:

He isn't even that interesting a character. All he has is the contrast between being a good hero and an insanely lovely person.

While Endeavor is definitely an awful person, I disagree that he is uninteresting. One of the core, foundational principles of the setting is the concept of true heroism, where All Might was such a selfless, incredible hero that he singlehandedly dragged society from the brink of chaos and his heroism was so important that basically every single character in the entire manga is focused on him, obsessed with him, or inspired by him on some level. Our protagonist's entire view of what a professional hero is is based on All Might's example. Endeavor is interesting because he is openly regarded as the second best hero, only after All Might, but he's nothing like All Might. He's fearsome instead of reassuring, harsh instead of calming. When he shows up to help, people are like "Holy poo poo why is Endeavor here???" instead of "Thank god, Endeavor's here!". In his personal life, he's an rear end in a top hat monster. But he's still considered a foundational pillar of hero society.

That contrast and the differing ideas of what constitutes a successful pro hero are very interesting.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Sarcophallus posted:

Two points he made that are worth exploring IMO are:

1) When it comes to his retellings, Shoto is an unreliable narrator. This is true of basically all of MHA's characters and is part of what makes it good, in my view.
2) The only evidence of Shoto's abuse comes from his mother.

Actually they're not and you're really dumb.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I think this is dumber than "PORTAL MAN AND POLICEMAN ARE THE SAME PERSON BECAUSE THEY VAGUELY DRESSED THE SAME ONCE!" That said, I do find Endeavour and interesting character and, on top of learning what Camie's actual quirk is, I'm hype as gently caress to see their talk. Basically, this next arc is going to rock.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Kanos posted:

While Endeavor is definitely an awful person, I disagree that he is uninteresting. One of the core, foundational principles of the setting is the concept of true heroism, where All Might was such a selfless, incredible hero that he singlehandedly dragged society from the brink of chaos and his heroism was so important that basically every single character in the entire manga is focused on him, obsessed with him, or inspired by him on some level. Our protagonist's entire view of what a professional hero is is based on All Might's example. Endeavor is interesting because he is openly regarded as the second best hero, only after All Might, but he's nothing like All Might. He's fearsome instead of reassuring, harsh instead of calming. When he shows up to help, people are like "Holy poo poo why is Endeavor here???" instead of "Thank god, Endeavor's here!". In his personal life, he's an rear end in a top hat monster. But he's still considered a foundational pillar of hero society.

That contrast and the differing ideas of what constitutes a successful pro hero are very interesting.

I....I say as much in my post.

I mean my whole point is he wants him to be a good character by stripping away his only defining traits.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
Endeavor is a highly skilled hero/piece of poo poo person who fights for the right team for the wrong reasons.

He exists to show that:

1. Not all great heroes are good people.

2. All Might also had an effect on his fellow heroes, and it wasn't always positive.

I don't know why anyone would dig further than that, it's perfectly acceptable to have an unlikeable character in a story just be the rear end in a top hat he seems to be.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Kanos posted:

I mean there was that one flashback that we see of Endeavor causing five year old Shoto to throw up and then yelling at his mother to stay the gently caress out of it when she said "Jesus, he's only five". That's pretty starkly "Endeavor 100% definitely was abusive".

I didn't recall the first half of that; that's fair.

As to the other responses I got, I can only credit incredibly poor reading comprehension on those parts.

PMush Perfect posted:

What the actual gently caress is wrong with you

Like I didn't say this, and this a stupid loving response to what I did say.

CharlestheHammer posted:

The only person I've seen trying to make Endeavor a good guy is the author of the imgur album.

Literally everything else is just sad misreading or assumption of poo poo that hasn't been said.

Aurora posted:

sarcophallus is an awful person

Happy to be part of the Something Awful community.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

lol gently caress off with pretending you're right dude

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Aurora posted:

lol gently caress off with pretending you're right dude

I don't even have to go edit my posts, learn to read what is actually said.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

I don't think it's worthwhile for this comic to explore how a woman and child might be lying about abuse at the hands of a powerful public figure, and to suggest as much seems weird and tone deaf to me.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Sarcophallus posted:

you literally used the same language many use to discredit abuse of all kinds my dude

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

If Deku and Half and Half are secret brothers, that's going to upset a lot of shippers...or turn them on even more, I'm not sure how this stuff works.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
If everyone is misreading you, maybe it's you?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Sarcophallus posted:

You really have no knowledge or understanding of abuse or the people in abusive relationships or you do and you're very very dense because the wording (and intent!) of your questions is the exact same as typical poo poo said and done to dismiss people reporting abuse.

So once again

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Actually they're not and you're really dumb.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Dec 20, 2017

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

You really have no knowledge or understanding of abuse or the people in abusive relationships or you do and you're very very dense because the wording (and intent!) of your questions is the exact same as typical poo poo said and done to dismiss people reporting abuse.

So once again

That's a really stupid loving thing to say someone who was raised in an abusive family.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax
Please tell me more about how I don't fit in your mold of the model abuse victim.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Aurora posted:

you literally used the same language many use to discredit abuse of all kinds my dude
Not an empty quote.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I hate this

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Sarcophallus posted:

That's a really stupid loving thing to say someone who was raised in an abusive family.

It's really loving stupid of someone who's faced abuse to write something where the meaning and intent behind it is "Maybe these people claiming someone is abusive are just confused or they don't understand the whole picture or are just crazy and wrong and I think it'd be interesting to investigate that idea!"

I say this as someone who heard something almost word for word about me not understanding and being an unreliable source like in your original post about my own abuse! This has nothign to do with not being 'an ideal abuse victim' and has everything to do with you weirdly wanting the manga to discredit abuse victims for want of some bigger picture.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Dec 20, 2017

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

as an abuse victim yourself, why do you feel it useful for a story to essentially double back and discredit the victims of abuse portrayed in it? especially in a society where victims are already widely disregarded if they even feel able to come forward because of the former and a lack of support.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

dogsicle posted:

as an abuse victim yourself, why do you feel it useful for a story to essentially double back and discredit the victims of abuse portrayed in it? especially in a society where victims are already widely disregarded if they even feel able to come forward because of the former and a lack of support.

This is precisely what I mean when I say there is a failure of reading comprehension. I did not make the claim that it would be useful for a story to double back and discredit Shoto. I am not interested in making that claim. In fact, I dismissed most of the imgur album as needless poo poo and fluff.

I said Shoto is a fallible character. That makes him compelling from a story-telling perspective. This does not mean he didn't suffer abuse, it is clear that he did. And then I followed up with, we only have evidence, however, that it came from his mother. Kanos made a reasonable point to this that I agree with - that Endeavor was shown to participate as well. What I think is worth discussing on this topic is the difference between show and tell from the storytelling perspective.

I'm not pitching Shoto as some political device to highlight the needs of abuse victims - I don't think that's the author's intent with that character. I do believe, and there is plenty of evidence that trauma can change perceptions, that it's worth exploring Shoto's relationship with his mother more critically given the facts of the story as shown.

That's literally it. That's the point.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I don't think this is the right manga for an in depth exploration of abusive relationships

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I think it's pretty telling that Endeavor doesn't realize how much his son hates him. He's a really lovely person, but I feel like Hori has indeed walked his characterization back from the complete and utter monster he was originally portrayed as.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Vengarr posted:

I think it's pretty telling that Endeavor doesn't realize how much his son hates him. He's a really lovely person, but I feel like Hori has indeed walked his characterization back from the complete and utter monster he was originally portrayed as.

TBF That's much less Hori walking it back and more of use seeing the character through someone's perspective that isn't his abuse victims. While out on the job he's less a monster and just a very very intense and kinda scary man who nonetheless is a hero on par with All Might.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I really hope Endeavor keeps being a piece of poo poo really because even if he came off worse than Horikoshi intended (similar to how Bakugou comes off so insanely terrible at the beginning with him beating Midoriya up and telling him to commit suicide) he still canonically is a eugenicist who trapped someone in what was almost an arranged marriage and beat both is wife and his youngest son- literally just for the purpose of showing up his "rival" by proxy. He really super does not deserve redemption and should not get it. Not even a little.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Sarcophallus posted:

This is precisely what I mean when I say there is a failure of reading comprehension. I did not make the claim that it would be useful for a story to double back and discredit Shoto. I am not interested in making that claim. In fact, I dismissed most of the imgur album as needless poo poo and fluff.

I said Shoto is a fallible character. That makes him compelling from a story-telling perspective. This does not mean he didn't suffer abuse, it is clear that he did. And then I followed up with, we only have evidence, however, that it came from his mother. Kanos made a reasonable point to this that I agree with - that Endeavor was shown to participate as well. What I think is worth discussing on this topic is the difference between show and tell from the storytelling perspective.

I'm not pitching Shoto as some political device to highlight the needs of abuse victims - I don't think that's the author's intent with that character. I do believe, and there is plenty of evidence that trauma can change perceptions, that it's worth exploring Shoto's relationship with his mother more critically given the facts of the story as shown.

That's literally it. That's the point.

there can also be a failure of accurately conveying your point, which when followed up by talking down to others does not really result in great discussion. people immediately went for your throat so i get why you'd be defensive, but you went off on a tangent of making GBS threads on people not getting your post rather than stopping to explain it until now.

i can definitely agree seeing how a relationship is explored/rebuilt between todoroki and his mother would be interesting.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

more mina imo

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

dogsicle posted:

there can also be a failure of accurately conveying your point, which when followed up by talking down to others does not really result in great discussion. people immediately went for your throat so i get why you'd be defensive, but you went off on a tangent of making GBS threads on people not getting your post rather than stopping to explain it until now.

i can definitely agree seeing how a relationship is explored/rebuilt between todoroki and his mother would be interesting.

I don't disagree with you - I just don't want to be held to account for things I didn't say. If someone thinks I've made some nefarious dog whistle, just ask and put it out in the open; I may be awful, but I'm always up for discussing things.

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

Sarcophallus posted:

You must be lying.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

cisneros posted:

You must be lying.

Let's not go down that road

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Sarcophallus posted:

I don't disagree with you - I just don't want to be held to account for things I didn't say. If someone thinks I've made some nefarious dog whistle, just ask and put it out in the open; I may be awful, but I'm always up for discussing things.

i mean your post history does not lead me to give you any fuckin' benefit of the doubt bud

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

kidcoelacanth posted:

more mina imo

Bro, we are just now putting out one fire.

Please don't start another with takes this hot.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

if toga impersonated mina, would she not be pink

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

if toga impersonated mina, would she not be pink

The pink is because of her acid, so probably not actually. No weird eyes either. Guess that’d be pretty pointless.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Shinjobi posted:

Bro, we are just now putting out one fire.

Please don't start another with takes this hot.

MHA is a good series.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

The pink is because of her acid, so probably not actually. No weird eyes either. Guess that’d be pretty pointless.

I bet impersonating someone with a quirk that heavily changes your physical appearance would actually be the best disguise because nobody would recognize you at all. even with the real deal walking around, who cares? it's not like they know what they'd look like without a quirk

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Heteromorphic quirks are different for example Aizawa can't cancel them.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

EmmyOk posted:

Heteromorphic quirks are different for example Aizawa can't cancel them.

Though he can cancel their effects. For example he can't make Ojiro's tail vanish, but Ojiro can't move or control his tail while under the effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Sarcophallus posted:

I disagree and feel you should be punished for talking down to victims of abuse. Merry christmas.