Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
The HD6XXs that I ordered in October shipped! :toot:

Hopefully they work fine on my PC audio out and I don't have to get anything extra to drive them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I wish I knew about Bluetooth latency before I bought these things. Watching video and gaming just doesn’t work with the Bluetooth headphones I just bought. I liked the fact they were wireless and that they had a built in mic. Is there a term I should be looking for if I want something similar that has less latency? Are there any 3.5mm jack ones that are similar, or is it all USB?

If you want bluetooth the keyword is aptx-LL (low latency). Anything wired should have low enough latency, 3,5 mm, USB or whatever. For wireless there are also RF headphones with their own transmitters that have have low latencies (like Sennheiser RS).

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
thanks for the tip on the low latency protocol - i had no idea. I picked up the Avantree Audition Pro for $60

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Looking for IEMs that are durable and have a mic/iPhone controls for my wife. Sound quality and isolation are not super important as she mostly just listens to podcasts. Wide selection of included tips (foam and rubber ideally) and good build quality are more important. It would also be nice if they had an I-shaped adapter rather than L-shaped as the L-shaped with the lightning dongle is kind of gross, but not a big deal. Comfort is also a big factor, I don't think she'd go with the SE215s since they wrap around the ear (I had those for a while and hated it.) I would just get her some AirPods but she finds EarPods super uncomfortable. Any suggestions?

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

How well does the microphone work on wireless headphones such as Apple AirPods and similar? I'm thinking of getting something like that, if they're worth it.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

prom candy posted:

Looking for IEMs that are durable and have a mic/iPhone controls for my wife. Sound quality and isolation are not super important as she mostly just listens to podcasts. Wide selection of included tips (foam and rubber ideally) and good build quality are more important. It would also be nice if they had an I-shaped adapter rather than L-shaped as the L-shaped with the lightning dongle is kind of gross, but not a big deal. Comfort is also a big factor, I don't think she'd go with the SE215s since they wrap around the ear (I had those for a while and hated it.) I would just get her some AirPods but she finds EarPods super uncomfortable. Any suggestions?

I can’t remember the model number, but I have a cable with iPhone controls for my 215s, and it does not wrap around the ears. However, it looks like the newer models do, both 3.5 mm and lightning variants. There are also some 3rd party Bluetooth adapters that use the same plug, I don’t think they have over ears. (The shure BT adapter seems overpriced for its features).

Personally I don’t really like the not-around-ears design, since they fall out a lot more.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI

shadowvine118 posted:

How well does the microphone work on wireless headphones such as Apple AirPods and similar? I'm thinking of getting something like that, if they're worth it.

The ones on the airpods are pretty impressive, the airpods are my favorite apple thingy

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

The HE-4xx are supremely comfy, but they're hilariously large on my head.

I tried them out with my cell phone hast night and I feel like my poor phone just isn't up to the task of driving them. Initial impression is that they're just not as detailed as the HD6xx. However I don't think that's a fair observation since I haven't tried them with my amp yet.

Why is this cord so goddamn short? My desktop is on the floor and the cord won't even reach the front port unless I'm bent over.
All the pictures show people driving these with their phones but I disagree with,

NewFatMike posted:

• Google Pixel drives them as well. It’s great how efficient these guys are!

Because my Pixel 2 does not drive them well at all despite them only being something like 35Ω. They really need an amp to shine imo.
Even then the cord barely makes it across my desk to my amp.

poppingseagull
Apr 12, 2004

Stan Taylor posted:

The HD6XXs that I ordered in October shipped! :toot:

Hopefully they work fine on my PC audio out and I don't have to get anything extra to drive them.

Just got my HD6xx an hour ago. Loving them so far. I got the Monoprice usb dac/amp to drive them for around $70 on sale a few months ago. I'd recommend it if you are only using motherboard audio currently and don't want to spend a lot.

edit: Just checked and it's on sale now too: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=11567

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
I'd like to get some wireless headphones or maybe a headset. I record a lot of podcasts over google hangouts/discord and I'm tired of used a wired headset and being stuck at the chair but I also want to listen to music/podcasts while I'm traveling. I know I can plug in a separate mic and I should probably do that anyway, but an integrated mic would be nice.

budget is $400
Priorities: Comfort, wireless but low latency are top two. Must have bluetooth so I can use it on my phone as well as my PC. I'm not an audiophile - I mostly listen to EDM. I don't care about noise canceling or anything like that.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

TenementFunster posted:

thanks for the tip on the low latency protocol - i had no idea. I picked up the Avantree Audition Pro for $60
hell yeah these own and i'll never have to hear another episode of Grey's Anatomy ever again

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but will there be any tangible degredation of audio quality if I use the Apple dongle to use a pair of Shure SE215’s with my iPhone 7?

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Sennheiser HD 215's.
Fiio e7. dac/amp.
asus zenphone.
Is there any app for android that allows me to output to usb to the dac other than that one usbaudio thang I bought but seems finickity about usb cables etc?
Essentially, I bought a bunch of different cables and only some had the correct otg stuff,
eventually I was starting to flip out and decided to drop it for a while and come back to it.
I just want to make a little travel set with the phone + e7+ a spare slab usb battery, maybe a usb microdock for an extra sd/hc card, power in, and regular otg usb out to the mini usb on the fiio.
I already look like a shambling neckbeard, so looks are not an issue, but anyone have any tips for a microdock or something that can handle that and not confuse the fone or fiio?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Why is this cord so goddamn short? My desktop is on the floor and the cord won't even reach the front port unless I'm bent over.
All the pictures show people driving these with their phones but I disagree with,

Because many people have amplifiers right next to them on their desktops :eng101:

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Rock My Socks! posted:

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but will there be any tangible degredation of audio quality if I use the Apple dongle to use a pair of Shure SE215’s with my iPhone 7?

This ifixit article has a summary of some testing a german company did between the dongle and an iPhone 6S. It’s slightly worse in tests but I’m not sure it would make a noticeable difference in actual listening.

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
Hi all, I'm looking for recommendations for some bluetooth headphones to use with my mobile devices during commuting and at the office, etc. I'd like to also be able to make calls with them. Main priority is long battery life and decent sound quality. I also don't want any isolating headphones, as I want to be able to hear if people are trying to talk to me at work. Ideally, I'd like to spend around $100, but if there are any options that are far superior at a slightly higher price then that's OK.

Sorry if this gets asked all the time but this thread is huge.

EDIT: I mostly listen to metal, if that counts.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Because my Pixel 2 does not drive them well at all despite them only being something like 35Ω. They really need an amp to shine imo.
Even then the cord barely makes it across my desk to my amp.

There's no dedicated 3.5mm Jack on the Pixel 2, correct? It's a USB-C adapter?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

NewFatMike posted:

There's no dedicated 3.5mm Jack on the Pixel 2, correct? It's a USB-C adapter?

Yes, it includes an adapter, I just leave it hooked up to my headphones so I don't lose it.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
I'm looking for headphones in the 40€ max price range for playing video games and listening to music on my PC. Should be on-ear or over-ear and doesn't need isolation. Should also have volume control somewhere on the device or the cable.
Basically I'm trying to find a clip-on mic + headphones alternative to this. For some reason, most headphones don't come with volume control but I don't wanna fiddle around with the OS volume control or get an amp. If no such thing exists I'm just gonna get the headset.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

skull mask mcgee posted:

This ifixit article has a summary of some testing a german company did between the dongle and an iPhone 6S. It’s slightly worse in tests but I’m not sure it would make a noticeable difference in actual listening.

Ok; doesen’t seem like a huge deal.

On that note, would a pair of Shure SE215’s be a decent upgrade from stock iPhone headphones for someone looking to spend <$100?

Also, are they durable enough for gym use/trail cycling?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Zero VGS posted:

Yes, it includes an adapter, I just leave it hooked up to my headphones so I don't lose it.

I'd be curious to see what the power output is on those. If it's the one in the box, it might just be a direct pinout for analog audio which will do it for most consumer cans.

Those are just guesses, though. I guess if you want to drive cans with your phone, make sure it has a decent DAC/amp, let alone headphone jack? :shrug:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

NewFatMike posted:

I'd be curious to see what the power output is on those. If it's the one in the box, it might just be a direct pinout for analog audio which will do it for most consumer cans.

Those are just guesses, though. I guess if you want to drive cans with your phone, make sure it has a decent DAC/amp, let alone headphone jack? :shrug:

It directly drives my Astro A40's plenty loud, for what it's worth.

mattdev
Sep 30, 2004

Gentlemen of taste, refinement, luxury.

Women want us, men want to be us.
Just got in on the Massdrop for the E-MU Teaks. Super stoked about them since they'll be for work - I listened to my friend's pair and they absolutely blew my mind. With that said, now I need an amplifier recommendation to go with them!

Budget - $<200
Source - Computer at work, so desktop amp is fine.
Preferred Tonal Balance - Full clarity. Not a ton of bass - clear highs and mids.
Preferred Music - Mostly minimal electronic and ambient here at work. Some hip-hop.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Zero VGS posted:

It directly drives my Astro A40's plenty loud, for what it's worth.

I guess it's just a downgrade from the Pixel audio output, then.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

poppingseagull posted:

Just got my HD6xx an hour ago. Loving them so far. I got the Monoprice usb dac/amp to drive them for around $70 on sale a few months ago. I'd recommend it if you are only using motherboard audio currently and don't want to spend a lot.

edit: Just checked and it's on sale now too: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=11567

:respek:

I'm digging mine so far but haven't been able to really try them out on a bunch of stuff. They're comfy and sound great running through my desktop speakers plugged into my mobo audio out.

I'm also pleased to find that the open back thing isn't as big a deal as I had feared. You can really hear them unless your right next to whoever is using them and only then if the volume is up pretty high.

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

Hello thread, need some input!

I am currently using HD800s powered by a jdslabs o2+odac and all is well, except that I am getting complains because the headphones get LOUD.

So, I'd like suggestions of noise cancelling headphones, somewhere between $400-$500, which brands should I check?

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Are you sure you need noise cancelling? I think you just need closed back. Noise cancelling is for sound coming in, not sound leaving.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

El Laucha posted:

Hello thread, need some input!

I am currently using HD800s powered by a jdslabs o2+odac and all is well, except that I am getting complains because the headphones get LOUD.

So, I'd like suggestions of noise cancelling headphones, somewhere between $400-$500, which brands should I check?

Where are you using this $2000+ headphone setup that people are complaining about it?

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

Lowness 72 posted:

Are you sure you need noise cancelling? I think you just need closed back. Noise cancelling is for sound coming in, not sound leaving.

Ah, my mistake, I thought they meant/worked the same.

As to where I am listening? home :(

El Laucha fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Dec 19, 2017

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
I suggest Audeze LCD-XC's.

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.

Vidaeus posted:

Hi all, I'm looking for recommendations for some bluetooth headphones to use with my mobile devices during commuting and at the office, etc. I'd like to also be able to make calls with them. Main priority is long battery life and decent sound quality. I also don't want any isolating headphones, as I want to be able to hear if people are trying to talk to me at work. Ideally, I'd like to spend around $100, but if there are any options that are far superior at a slightly higher price then that's OK.

Anyone?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I mean the Apple Earpods are pretty drat awesome but it depends on which phone you have. The are less awesome on android.

I think the main problem is that you don't want the BT headphones to be isolating. Almost all of the ones I can think of / have are pretty isolating save the Earpods since they do let noise in.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

You could use ill-fitting tips on an IEM style headset, that would let plenty of sound in. Not exactly what I would call great sound quality, but there are not a lot of options for what you're looking for beyond AirPods, which I can't imagine work awesome with Android.

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
Yeah ok guys. I do have an iPhone 7 but didn't quite want to spend that much money. I've also bounced between android and apple in the past and may do so again in the future. But if they work ok with android as well then I might get myself a pair.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

GrossMurpel posted:

I'm looking for headphones in the 40€ max price range for playing video games and listening to music on my PC. Should be on-ear or over-ear and doesn't need isolation. Should also have volume control somewhere on the device or the cable.
Basically I'm trying to find a clip-on mic + headphones alternative to this. For some reason, most headphones don't come with volume control but I don't wanna fiddle around with the OS volume control or get an amp. If no such thing exists I'm just gonna get the headset.

Any leads on this? All the ones I can find are either poo poo or more than 50 bucks.
E: Actually that should tell me something about how insane that request is :v:

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Dec 20, 2017

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Vidaeus posted:

It sounds like you want open-backed bluetooth headphones which aren't terribly common. Looks like Sennheiser sells a couple open-backed wireless headphones, but they use a dock with custom RF rather than bluetooth, so they're a no-go for commuting

Also, anything that lets sound in is also going to let sound out, which isn't great for commuting unless you're okay with the people next to you on the bus getting a taste of your music too.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.
There is one option: bone conduction headphones. Sound quality isn’t the greatest but it’s good enough, they don’t have very much sound leaking, and you keep about as much situational awareness as with speakers.

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.

Moatman posted:

There is one option: bone conduction headphones. Sound quality isn’t the greatest but it’s good enough, they don’t have very much sound leaking, and you keep about as much situational awareness as with speakers.

Ok, so any recommendations for the bone conduction ones? Are they cheaper and or better than the apple airpods because that's my current pick.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Another thing to consider is that Apple has a really good return policy. You can try them for 14 days and return them if they don’t work for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Curious if anyone has has tried the new Zolo Liberty+ earbuds. My buddy backed the kickstarter so got his already, and he got me to try them out this morning as I was interested in picking up a pair once they're on sale. I'm super impressed, very high build quality, sound great, feel great in my ear, and the carrying case also works great. Pairing was effortless and the BT 5.0 connection is very stable, video lag is super noticeable and I'd only probably use them for music. I'm kind of wondering if I'm missing something horrible about them because I'm definitely gonna pick up a pair once they hit Amazon.