Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Jaguars! posted:

I'm a bit mystified by that too. Is it non-commonwealthers who don't get the references? Australians who do? The plot is not very coherent but no more so than the other early ones.

E: Oh wow, it's way later than I thought - 1998

From the perspective of an Australian (or at least this australian), it's because most of the aussie-based jokes read like something a tourist would say they saw in a movie. The only really standout bits were the place names and the tradie who can't say "very", because yeah, accurate observation, and very well written.

But the wizard plot was great, and he nailed the whole "rain" thing.

e: Not to say I didn't enjoy it, but the Rincewind parts read like The Colour Of Magic, but with the fantasy references replaced by references to australia as it appears in movies. I like The Colour Of Magic, and I think The Last Continent was done as well as it could possible be done and definitely has its moments.

e2: The bit about XXXX being made last, when there wasn't enough stuff left is pretty great too.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Nov 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

YggiDee posted:

Best footnote, go.

Do we count footnote within footnotes?
I have forgotten which book, but isn't there in one Rincewind book a footnote that has like 3-4 footnotes ?

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Dirty Frank posted:

You can tell when the Alzheimers started to set in.

Everything prior to this point at the very worst is good and lots of it is amazing.
Nation 2008 - good, very emotional
UA - 2009 - Bad
I shall wear midnight 2010 - Ok
Snuff 2011 - Awful
Dodger 2012 - not read
Raising Steam 2013 - Awful
Shepherds Crown 2015 - not read

The quality drop-off is huge so if its not the embuggerance what is it?

I read Snuff, then threw the book away and decided that I was very glad that Pratchett stopped writing at I Shall Wear Midnight.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
I always really liked the footnote in Interesting Times about the different meanings of "argh" in different languages. I wouldn't say it's the BEST footnote, but it is highly enjoyable.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I remember one about explorers grabbing natives to ask them what particular landmarks were called, which is why if you know the native language all the maps show locations like Just A Mountain and Hands Off You Idiot.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

DontMockMySmock posted:

I always really liked the footnote in Interesting Times about the different meanings of "argh" in different languages. I wouldn't say it's the BEST footnote, but it is highly enjoyable.

Hang on, what's boiling oil got to do with anything?

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

My Lovely Horse posted:

I remember one about explorers grabbing natives to ask them what particular landmarks were called, which is why if you know the native language all the maps show locations like Just A Mountain and Hands Off You Idiot.

I think the second one was Your Hand You Fool. Gives me a good chuckle.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Is "where the falling angel meets the rising ape" the most on point thing he ever wrote? It's definitely way up there.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

effervescible posted:

I think the second one was Your Hand You Fool. Gives me a good chuckle.

Close enough, it's the Forest of Skund whose name means "Your Finger You Fool". Related is Mount Oolskunrahod: "Who is this fool who does not know what a mountain is?"

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
I didn't like those jokes.

How retarded or "native" do you have to be to fail to understand someone pointing at something and asking what it is, is talking about the object they are looking/pointing at? not the finger held far away from the body.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

It's referring to the myth that the llama was named by the conquistors asking "What is it named?" ("¿Cómo se llama?") and the natives being so terrified of them at that point that they were like 'It's called a llama? Whatever you say, please don't kill me."

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

504 posted:

I didn't like those jokes.

How retarded or "native" do you have to be to fail to understand someone pointing at something and asking what it is, is talking about the object they are looking/pointing at? not the finger held far away from the body.

It's not suggesting they were stupid. It's suggesting they were making fun of the idiot explorer who was asking the question badly.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Tunicate posted:

It's referring to the myth that the llama was named by the conquistors asking "What is it named?" ("¿Cómo se llama?") and the natives being so terrified of them at that point that they were like 'It's called a llama? Whatever you say, please don't kill me."

I've never heard that one, cute. The standard example in the UK is Kangaroo meaning "I don't know".

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Tunicate posted:

Also the fact that "Canada" is most likely a corruption of "kanata", an Iroquois word meaning village or settlement. As in "That's a village you pale idiot."

Stroth fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Nov 11, 2017

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I'm reminded of Nome, Alaska.

Also, Pratchett would be very disappointed at the word "retarded" used a pejorative.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Yeah be a classy dude and just say it went over your head.

These books are full of stuff like that and it is great.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm a bit ashamed that I had to pick this up from a TVTropes page, but

Ok, you know in Lords and Ladies, when the Elf Queen is doing the thing to Magrat, and the metaphor Terry uses is of a planet being ablated by a supernova, layer by layer, until it reaches

the core

And Magrat hauls off and decks the Queen right between the eyes.

Well, what's at the core of the Earth? A giant sphere of white-hot liquid iron, that creates the Earth's magnetic field even

That is a well-chosen metaphor

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

Disgusting Coward fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Dec 23, 2017

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
It's a good catch, i never noticed that. The TVTropes mention reminds me of the mock threads we had back in the day, where it was clear that there were members of that site that were convinced you could break down every story, no matter how complex, into tropes. And then you could also assemble a story out of tropes like it was lego (these were always godawful).

Whenever I think about that, I always think about the Auditors reducing the paintings to piles of pigment in Thief of Time, trying to find out where the Art is.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Cicadalek posted:

Whenever I think about that, I always think about the Auditors reducing the paintings to piles of pigment in Thief of Time, trying to find out where the Art is.

“Tᴀᴋᴇ ᴛʜᴇ ᴜɴɪᴠᴇʀsᴇ ᴀɴᴅ ɢʀɪɴᴅ ɪᴛ ᴅᴏᴡɴ ᴛᴏ ᴛʜᴇ ғɪɴᴇsᴛ ᴘᴏᴡᴅᴇʀ ᴀɴᴅ sɪᴇᴠᴇ ɪᴛ ᴛʜʀᴏᴜɢʜ ᴛʜᴇ ғɪɴᴇsᴛ sɪᴇᴠᴇ ᴀɴᴅ ᴛʜᴇɴ sʜᴏᴡ ᴍᴇ ᴏɴᴇ ᴀᴛᴏᴍ ᴏғ ᴊᴜsᴛɪᴄᴇ, ᴏɴᴇ ᴍᴏʟᴇᴄᴜʟᴇ ᴏғ ᴍᴇʀᴄʏ...”

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

The_Doctor posted:

“Tᴀᴋᴇ ᴛʜᴇ ᴜɴɪᴠᴇʀsᴇ ᴀɴᴅ ɢʀɪɴᴅ ɪᴛ ᴅᴏᴡɴ ᴛᴏ ᴛʜᴇ ғɪɴᴇsᴛ ᴘᴏᴡᴅᴇʀ ᴀɴᴅ sɪᴇᴠᴇ ɪᴛ ᴛʜʀᴏᴜɢʜ ᴛʜᴇ ғɪɴᴇsᴛ sɪᴇᴠᴇ ᴀɴᴅ ᴛʜᴇɴ sʜᴏᴡ ᴍᴇ ᴏɴᴇ ᴀᴛᴏᴍ ᴏғ ᴊᴜsᴛɪᴄᴇ, ᴏɴᴇ ᴍᴏʟᴇᴄᴜʟᴇ ᴏғ ᴍᴇʀᴄʏ...”

People always quote that part of the exchange, but what's always been the best part of Hogfather for me is the bit immediately before it:

quote:

“Thank you. Now . . . tell me . . .”

WHAT WOULD HAVE HAPPENED IF YOU HADN”T SAVED HIM?

“Yes! The sun would have risen just the same, yes?”

NO.

“Oh, come on. You can’t expect me to believe that. It’s an astronomical fact.”

THE SUN WOULD NOT HAVE RISEN.

She turned on him.

“It’s been a long night, Grandfather! I’m tired and I need a bath! I don’t need silliness!”

THE SUN WOULD NOT HAVE RISEN.

"Really? Then what would have happened, pray?”

A MERE BALL OF FLAMING GAS WOULD HAVE ILLUMINATED THE WORLD.

Because the Sun and the ball of flaming gas aren't the same. Terry got it.

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
I'm sure I've owned a copy of all the Discworld books but now my kids are old enough to start reading them there's an awful lot missing from my bookshelves

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

fluppet posted:

I'm sure I've owned a copy of all the Discworld books but now my kids are old enough to start reading them there's an awful lot missing from my bookshelves

You probably loaned them to someone.

Happens to the best of us.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I understand (assume) that Pratchett was reacting to an abundance of horse stories in contemporary fantasy back when he was writing, but I can't decide whether having all his characters dislike horses is more similar to a series set in the 20th century be populated entirely by people who hate driving, or by characters who hate domestic animals.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
Whatever happened to the night watch tv series? Did it go into development limbo?

I know the movies weren’t the best, but I’d rather they kept making them than have nothing at all :(

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

hanales posted:

Whatever happened to the night watch tv series? Did it go into development limbo?

I know the movies weren’t the best, but I’d rather they kept making them than have nothing at all :(

Rihanna said in October '16 that it was still ongoing. That was the last word. By 'the movies' do you mean the Sky TV specials?

Michelle Dockery (Susan in Hogfather) is in the National Theatre production of Network with Bryan Cranston at the moment, and the whole play I was racking my brains over where I'd seen her before.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I was thinking about the telly Watch stuff the other day and felt sad. I doubt it is going to happen now.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I’ve been waiting for the Rivers of London tv adaptation that got announced for several years now.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

I’ve been waiting for the Rivers of London tv adaptation that got announced for several years now.

Do you really want to see that CGI? You know what I'm talking about.

e: You do don't you you sicko?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

Do you really want to see that CGI? You know what I'm talking about.

e: You do don't you you sicko?

The Mr Punch face stuff? Hell yeah I do.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

Rihanna said in October '16 that it was still ongoing. That was the last word. By 'the movies' do you mean the Sky TV specials?

Michelle Dockery (Susan in Hogfather) is in the National Theatre production of Network with Bryan Cranston at the moment, and the whole play I was racking my brains over where I'd seen her before.

Yeah the sky specials. I enjoyed them in a “on in the background” kind of way.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Xander77 posted:

I understand (assume) that Pratchett was reacting to an abundance of horse stories in contemporary fantasy back when he was writing, but I can't decide whether having all his characters dislike horses is more similar to a series set in the 20th century be populated entirely by people who hate driving, or by characters who hate domestic animals.

Death is a fan of horses. :colbert:

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Rereading Good Omens.

Verdict: still good.

My copy has an unreasonable amount of errors, though.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Nobody taking a break for soup though, right?

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

Xander77 posted:

I mean, horses kind of suck. Especially in a city where mostly all they do is piss and poo poo everywhere in between kicking and trampling people.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Beachcomber posted:

Rereading Good Omens.

Verdict: still good.

My copy has an unreasonable amount of errors, though.
The rare Buggre All This Good Omens!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
didn't realize that Nation existed

it is Very Good

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Cicadalek posted:

I mean, horses kind of suck. Especially in a city where mostly all they do is piss and poo poo everywhere in between kicking and trampling people.

Yeah, that's kind of the thing. Vimes hates horses because they are a pain in his rear end as traffic, and as a foot constable he's probably spent years almost getting run over by them and walking in what they leave. Carrot's a dwarf, hating horses is Traditional. Horses hate Angua because they know what she is and are afraid she'll eat them.

Outside of that, the Wizards are generally too fat to ride, the Witches prefer broomsticks when they have to travel outside of walking distance, and Moist -likes- horses.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I imagine CMOT Dibbler also found them very very useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

My Lovely Horse posted:

The rare Buggre All This Good Omens!

lol