Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Cephas posted:

Sorry, that's actually best girl powerful and manly knight of the round table, Mordred. You can tell by the red scrunchie and the chicken, which I think Mordred was eating earlier in the series

also her lack of bust

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Someone list the good eps with astolfo and mordred in 'em so I can skip the cruft

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!

DisDisDis posted:

Someone list the good eps with astolfo and mordred in 'em so I can skip the cruft

That's a good start, but might want to add episodes without Sieg to that list!

Oh...

...oh.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Jack gets a lot of (deserved) crap for her character design, but I actually thought the episode where Jeanne and Atalanta enter her world was pretty deece.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DisDisDis posted:

astolfo is in a lot of episodes. tehrer are no good episodes.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Gilles, my good friend

Grausherra
Jul 15, 2007

Look into my eyes...
I'm really glad this "cameo" did not get botched and can't actually wait for the next episode.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
Holy. poo poo.

Also i can't wait to see what EMIYA's dystopic salvation will be slash how Jeanne messes it all up.

Also more astolfo.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
I just watched episode 22.

That was... special, even for A-1.

Karna vs Siegfried was the one thing (after Karna vs Vlad) I was looking for in this shitshow and you couldn't even tell what was happening.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Conspiratiorist posted:

I just watched episode 22.

That was... special, even for A-1.

Karna vs Siegfried was the one thing (after Karna vs Vlad) I was looking for in this shitshow and you couldn't even tell what was happening.
glad you registered an account digibro

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
who

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Karna's attacks were so hot they broke through the 4th wall and were melting the camera we were watching it from. That's how awesomely powerful he was.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kylra posted:

Karna's attacks were so hot they broke through the 4th wall and were melting the camera we were watching it from. That's how awesomely powerful he was.

To be honest, I think that was genuinely part of the effect they were going for, with the audience’s vision distorted by the sheer heat the combatants’ attacks were giving off.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Goodbye, only two interesting characters in this show.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Jeanne going from "come on this is obviously all fake" to freaking out about Sieg's obviously fake head in the space of a minute or two seemed kind of dumb.

At least the good characters got to be cool.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

At least Mordred managed to punk Astolfo one last time by not instantly killing Semiramis.

Sindai posted:

Jeanne going from "come on this is obviously all fake" to freaking out about Sieg's obviously fake head in the space of a minute or two seemed kind of dumb.

At least the good characters got to be cool.

It's more that she can't really be guilt-tripped by her actions in her life. But yeah, it doesn't come off very well just why she's freaking out over Sieg. Sure, she feels a bit of guilt that he got involved in the Holy Grail War when he didn't have to but it was his choice, just as it was hers to leave behind her loved ones.

Argas fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Dec 18, 2017

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

"Gets to you even though you know it's fake" seems like exactly the property a magical playwright's special move would have.

And an old friend is here, to show us the greatest cool.

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

Argas posted:

It's more that she can't really be guilt-tripped by her actions in her life. But yeah, it doesn't come off very well just why she's freaking out over Sieg. Sure, she feels a bit of guilt that he got involved in the Holy Grail War when he didn't have to but it was his choice, just as it was hers to leave behind her loved ones.

She already no-sold Jack's noble phantasm so Shakespeare showing her Sieg being Sieg while being set on fire makes me wonder what shes freaking out about.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah the Jeanne stuff fell flat.

It's okay to have a stoic, kinda boring character in a romance if they have someone more charismatic to bounce off of them, but if their love interest is also boring and fairly flat then instead of chemistry you're going to get two inert lumps of minerals sitting next to each other in a flask

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

should have invented jeanne alter and used her instead

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
basically the show is all over the place with its writing and characterization, and its battle choreography, and its animation in general

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
So I watched this on Netflix and it kinda just ended in the middle of nowhere. I'm just a little confused? What the hell was the point in building up and alluding to Dracula only to have him hilariously job for an entire episode?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That's because only the first half is up on Netflix now.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Sindai posted:

That's because only the first half is up on Netflix now.

Well that's incredibly annoying.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
pretty poo poo how 90% of this show is garbage and the 10% that was good died

and yet I still watch it, I'm a big dumb idiot what was she even injected with, magic necromancer juice?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Centzon Totochtin posted:

pretty poo poo how 90% of this show is garbage and the 10% that was good died

and yet I still watch it, I'm a big dumb idiot what was she even injected with, magic necromancer juice?

Apparently that's the payoff for Shishigou screwing around with hydra blood earlier. That was supposed to be an antidote he made from the contents.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.
There isn't a :smith: big enough to cover how I'm feeling.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I liked how Gilles became more and more Fate/Zero as it went on.

Also didn't Sieg tell Jeanne that he decided to get fully involved out of his own free will? Besides technically he first became involved when he was made in the basement lab, before she even showed up.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Poil posted:

I liked how Gilles became more and more Fate/Zero as it went on.

Also didn't Sieg tell Jeanne that he decided to get fully involved out of his own free will? Besides technically he first became involved when he was made in the basement lab, before she even showed up.

I mean, he got a chance leave things behind after getting Siegfried's heart. Jeanne more or less went out of her way to give him a way out but he couldn't stay out. It's obviously a bit hypocritical of her and she basically tells him to be very careful every time.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

I watched Season One all the way through on Netflix finally. Season 2 must have gotten really bad to make people so negative, because despite the pacing problems in the first few episodes I enjoyed them and the cast plenty, and episodes 6 and 9 through 11 more than justify the show's existence on their own.

For the later, Fran's battle with Shirou/Shakespeare, her traumatic flashback, and the 3-on-1 curbstomp battle between Seig, Astolfo and Fran vs Mordred leading up to that failed sacrifice and Seigfried's return bringing the teaser full circle were all fantastic. The big Dracula Battle in Ep. 12 was nothing but an anti-climax after that. For the former, Episode 6 might just rank among my top 10 favorite single episodes in all of Fate Anime. Mordred's backstory flashback and general characterization, the fight with Jack and her characterization (drat did she win me over fast when I came in ready to despise her), and the brief fights between Shishigo and Fiore and Chiron and Mordred all made for a stellar stand-alone piece.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

mordred is really good, there just isnt enough of her

all the other series have focused around saber so why are they instead focusing on this bland nobody who is only saber some of the time but isn't the good saber

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Semiramis was a butt

Shakespeare is a goof

Jeanne was okay

Mordred MVP

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

This probably would have been quite a bit better if Sieg was like in this episode, but maybe from episode 7 or 8 or so.

And then developed more from there.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

why not just have siegfried have the romance with jeanne and be the hero

you could write him basically the same way but siegfried has actual pathos and also i wouldnt be as annoyed when he does siegfried things, and having a fate/ thing where a servant is the unabashed protagonist would actually be interesting

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Siegfried is also voiced by my man Suwabe....

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

why not just have siegfried have the romance with jeanne and be the hero

you could write him basically the same way but siegfried has actual pathos and also i wouldnt be as annoyed when he does siegfried things, and having a fate/ thing where a servant is the unabashed protagonist would actually be interesting

Because the biggest argument against humanity needing to have salvation forced upon them is for an explicitly subhuman character to prove themselves the greatest hero of the War. Having Siegfried be the protagonist would just turn it into a generic X-Men/Gundam SEED-style story of superhumans bickering about whether they should tolerate humanity.

All they really needed to do was make Sieg endearing, and it’s not like they didn’t have a vast range of material already to draw from - ‘artificial being learns to become human’ is one of the staple anime plots, and there’s plenty of examples of it being executed in a fun and charming way.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Dec 25, 2017

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
For something that's 25 episodes, the build-up to most of these fights are kinda rear end. Chiron/Achilles was the only that felt deserved of the tension and weight, and even that seems undercooked compared to even Cu/Emiya.

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

Ep. 24, in which Sieg fucks it up for all of humanity by suddenly developing a terminal case of generic shounen protagonist sensibilities

Reminds me of all the "goddammit emiya" moments in FSN, kind of nostalgic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wili
Apr 7, 2010

ppppbbbbtttthhhhhhttppp!
So it was kind of unclear in the episode, but was Shirou's plan for salvation to turn off death for humans?

• Locked thread