Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ghost story
Sep 10, 2005
Boo.
Can I get an invite at @Kalessin8693?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø
Since when did steam get ridiculous about gifting games between western countries? Last year was fine, but now I'm getting "Due to regional price differences, the gift you are trying to send cannot be sent to the recipient's region." No secret drunken santa I guess, but merry crimbo folks!

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
I've been having fun playing the Orsinium quests, but have definitely hit a brick wall in "The Anger of a King" quest in Orsinium. It requires a completing a "trial" that involves hitting 4 switches in under 3 minutes. I seem to aggro all the ranged spellcasters who throw lots of crowd-control spells that go through cover as well. Making matters more annoying, you can't trigger the switches if you're taking damage. I tried looking for "Let's Play" online and the one I found the player was a Nightblade and she stealthed the whole way through. I'm a DK stamblade and my character can't take that kind of damage from all sides. Does the thread have any hints?

Also, if I purchase a crafting style with crowns, do I still need the requisite number of points in the crafting to craft that style or do crowns override that?

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

MoraleHazard posted:

I tried looking for "Let's Play" online and the one I found the player was a Nightblade and she stealthed the whole way through.

You don't have to be a NB to stealth, any class can do it.

MoraleHazard posted:

I'm a DK stamblade

ESO doesn't have multiclassing AFAIK, did you mean stam DK?

Comrade Koba fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Dec 26, 2017

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
The let's play gal would stealth up right in front of mobs, so I was guessing she was nightblade. My guy can do stealth, but not like that and the way the map is set up, normal stealth gets you detected since a mob is in front of every switch.

Also, my character is a dual-wiedling Dragonknight.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I'm a DK specced for stealth, but I'm also khajiit and with those racials you can basically sneeze people in the face without getting noticed, nightblade or no

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Does that morph on Reverse Slice that adds splash damage only proc the splash damage on kill?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

toasterwarrior posted:

Does that morph on Reverse Slice that adds splash damage only proc the splash damage on kill?
No, but obviously it's going to be nothing before you get a target to half health. 2H gets decent AOE between that, cleave, and the splash passive on heavy attacks.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

No, but obviously it's going to be nothing before you get a target to half health. 2H gets decent AOE between that, cleave, and the splash passive on heavy attacks.

Wait, the splash passive plus heavy attacks are actually worth using? Always figured that ability spam was better for damage than lights and heavies.

I'd like to take Cleave for actual AOE, but I'm also not sure whether running two defensive active abilities (Obsidian Shield and Dragon's Blood) is a bit overkill. Right now I was planning Searing Strike for single target DOTs, Reverse Slice plus that AOE morph for hybrid splash and single target (SS to get to half health, spam Reverse Slice, reapply SS, repeat), the two defense abilities, and that fire damage enchant for more damage and that damage buff. I've read about Rally but I'd rather use the enchant ability.

Doughbaron
Apr 28, 2005
I'd very much appreciate an invite @Doughbaron. Thanks!

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

valuum posted:

Just checked out your house, the view from the balcony is loving awesome. Amaya lake lodge really does it for me, but that's a close second! (I need to remove some trees, cant see the shrooms for all the forest)

(i lit the fire in the basement while you were away, sorry if it's all burnt down /rp)

thank you

Sintor
Jul 23, 2007
Playing the game again and would love an invite on @Sintour.

Question on races: I have a stamplar currently and it is Imperial. Is it worth race tokening to Redguard? I have the any race any alliance thing and enough crowns (thanks sale!) to do so, but just wondering if the difference is that huge. I know it's the min-max race of choice, but didn't know if the stam recovery on Redguard was so huge it just makes playing it that much more smooth.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

toasterwarrior posted:

Wait, the splash passive plus heavy attacks are actually worth using? Always figured that ability spam was better for damage than lights and heavies.

I'd like to take Cleave for actual AOE, but I'm also not sure whether running two defensive active abilities (Obsidian Shield and Dragon's Blood) is a bit overkill. Right now I was planning Searing Strike for single target DOTs, Reverse Slice plus that AOE morph for hybrid splash and single target (SS to get to half health, spam Reverse Slice, reapply SS, repeat), the two defense abilities, and that fire damage enchant for more damage and that damage buff. I've read about Rally but I'd rather use the enchant ability.

Generally you're only going to use 2-3 spenders, so the rest being buffs/always-active type skills is fine, also weaving abilities plus light/heavy attacks is the best dps, because you can cut abilities short by doing so, this is animation cancelling/weaving, have a video tutorial on it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPGaDcUzXBI

disclaimer: that video might be poo poo, but it was the first (video) result when I googled.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

toasterwarrior posted:

Heavies restore Stamina

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Oh neat, I didn't know that animation canceling was a thing. Also I figured that heavy attacks restoring stamina was a cute but insignificant bonus, but then again I'm only just getting started and never really had to empty my resource bars on any enemies.

Thanks for the help!

JadaX
Nov 25, 2008

toasterwarrior posted:

Also I figured that heavy attacks restoring stamina was a cute but insignificant bonus, but then again I'm only just getting started and never really had to empty my resource bars on any enemies.

Thanks for the help!

Becomes an issue doing some dungeons etc. Not so much solo pve.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

When i animation cancel am i supposed to go

LA-Skill-LA

or

skill-La-skill?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Baron Porkface posted:

skill-La-skill?

take it to the anime forums

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Nice.

Tengort
Sep 4, 2009
Invite @narunet

DoriDori240
Aug 1, 2003

Needs more Anna Ohura

Baron Porkface posted:

When i animation cancel am i supposed to go

LA-Skill-LA

or

skill-La-skill?

It's light attack > skill > light attack > skill, etc.

When you open your rotation, say on a magicka nightblade, you will not light attack your first skill most of the time, so your initial rotation will be something like heavy attack > funnel health <barswap> <light attack> Wall of Elements <light attack> Cripple <light attack> Twisting Path <barswap> but you do not need to light attack weave the first skill after a bar swap (that is more of a magicka nightblade thing only for merciless procs) as you just animation cancelled your previous skill with the bar swap, in theory.

Some classes, primarily stam (except Stamina Nightblade) you will weave heavy attacks on your DW bar, and (Always, always) light attacks on your bow bar (for the Hawk Eye passive).

Brazilionaire
Dec 28, 2017

DoriDori240 posted:

It's light attack > skill > light attack > skill, etc.

When you open your rotation, say on a magicka nightblade, you will not light attack your first skill most of the time, so your initial rotation will be something like heavy attack > funnel health <barswap> <light attack> Wall of Elements <light attack> Cripple <light attack> Twisting Path <barswap> but you do not need to light attack weave the first skill after a bar swap (that is more of a magicka nightblade thing only for merciless procs) as you just animation cancelled your previous skill with the bar swap, in theory.

Some classes, primarily stam (except Stamina Nightblade) you will weave heavy attacks on your DW bar, and (Always, always) light attacks on your bow bar (for the Hawk Eye passive).

Hey, I see that you're the GM of The Worst Faction. How can I try out for the guild?

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

Those birds certainly know what they're doin'!

Brazilionaire posted:

Hey, I see that you're the GM of The Worst Faction. How can I try out for the guild?

LOL

sluggo is mad
Jan 14, 2012

Buglord

Brazilionaire posted:

run the op spec we call "the shockable"

DoriDori240
Aug 1, 2003

Needs more Anna Ohura
Pm @dchambers19 for more info

Bustycops
Mar 3, 2010

Sup Lads
We need 7 more degenerates who have spare guild slots, I want a Worst Faction t-shirt and that tag under my name.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

There are some bad boss fights in this. The Captain Blackheart fight is especially not fun.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

FactsAreUseless posted:

There are some bad boss fights in this. The Captain Blackheart fight is especially not fun.

Whoops I'm bones now, enjoy the rest of the fight you guys!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Trustworthy posted:

Whoops I'm bones now, enjoy the rest of the fight you guys!
It's really bad, and some quick Googling shows it's been bad for so long that the designers clearly don't realize it's bad.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

That fight isn't that bad, I like it, mostly because it takes like 30 seconds with a good group even on vet hardmode.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

MF_James posted:

That fight isn't that bad, I like it, mostly because it takes like 30 seconds with a good group even on vet hardmode.
It's full of hard-to-understand mechanics built around taking control away from players for long periods of the fight. That's like five bad ideas at once.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

I mean there are adds, but poo poo happens other than "haha you are skeleton" for a time?

Oh you become unable to do anything while skeleton, I see, yeah I guess that's never happened to me because someone else starts the fight and we mop the floor before a second skeleton thing can happen.

The only mechanic is top person on hate list gets turned into a skeleton and then can do nothing, I mean there are adds and an AOE but those aren't anything special and I certainly wouldn't label them hard to understand mechanics.

Seriously, this fight is easier than a lot of them out there, especially once you hit DLC stuff. gently caress, the like second boss in COS is harder than most of the non-DLC bosses. Also, if you are running with a bunch of people that don't know fights and neither do you, hit up ESO wiki for 20 seconds before the last boss (perhaps some earlier bosses for DLC stuff) to save yourself some pain: http://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Elder+Scrolls+Online+Wiki

MF_James fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Dec 29, 2017

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

It's not a matter of easy or hard, it's a bad mechanic, poorly communicated.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Uh, can't you swing and vomit stuff in skeleton mode? Also, get the tank to lure him around the corner of the rockface on the right, it becomes much easier when adds have to run all the way from the sea. Don't go too far back, though, or he'll reset.

Unless they fixed that?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I actually really liked the last boss of City of Shadows, but I can't imagine how much of a pain in the rear end that would be to go into blind, or with even one group member who can't follow directions.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
It's really fun on veteran watching everyone except me get lost in the maze.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
"What if Sandopolis Zone Act 2 were a MMO boss fight?" - Zenimax

MF_James
May 8, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's not a matter of easy or hard, it's a bad mechanic, poorly communicated.

I mean most mechanics aren't explicitly told to you, the DLCs are even worse for this, poo poo that will straight up wipe you if you gently caress it up is just thrown at you.

Not that it's a great way to do things, but I also don't enjoy things being spoon-fed to me either.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Most if not all mechanics in the DLC dungeons are telegraphed via trash pulls or platforming elements. Base game dungeons not so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Scyantific posted:

Most if not all mechanics in the DLC dungeons are telegraphed via trash pulls or platforming elements. Base game dungeons not so much.

touche to that.

I still recommend for fights you don't know, hit the eso wiki and look at the bosses, most of the old world the only bosses that have really cheeky poo poo are the last boss, though some others might have an ability or two to watch out for.