Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

But how’s the weather sealing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Turns out the K-01 won't hold up against streams of liquid as well as its DSLR counterparts. No environmental sealing.

PS to the thread: After wavering at the precipice of getting a D750, I ended up ordering an X-T2 instead. With 18-55. The Nikon felt great (if bulky) but after playing with each I found that the 24-120 kit at 120 and f/4 still wasn't all the great for background defocus. Better than the Fuji 18-55 at 55 and f/4, but not by so much that I wouldn't still need a dedicated portrait lens in the medium term. Seeing that there're now XF 50/2 and 90/2 lenses for less than the 56/1.2, Fuji won out. The 4K video looks great, too.

Hopefully it ends up being portable enough in real-world use that I can sell off my E-M10 to a loving home, and reattach the 5D to my film digitizing rig indefinitely (after I get a Fuji portrait lens that matches the lovely quality of the EF 100mm macro).

(Speaking of the EF lens, there's no EF to X adapter that maintains electronic aperture control, is there? AF is a bridge too far, but I'd like to be able to at least use the lens' built-in aperture instead of an extra iris mounted behind the lens.)

I was pretty much set on the SLR-style form factor, but didn't even consider the X-Pro2 since it didn't have 4K. Now it's getting 4K. Crazy. I wonder if it will have the same quality as the T2, or have pixel-binned output like the T20 or E3.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
I'm an Olympus user but this just came down the pipe: the X-Pro2 now has 4K video with the latest firmware.

http://www.fujifilm.com/news/n170907_06.html

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Turns out the K-01 won't hold up against streams of liquid as well as its DSLR counterparts. No environmental sealing.

PS to the thread: After wavering at the precipice of getting a D750, I ended up ordering an X-T2 instead. With 18-55. The Nikon felt great (if bulky) but after playing with each I found that the 24-120 kit at 120 and f/4 still wasn't all the great for background defocus. Better than the Fuji 18-55 at 55 and f/4, but not by so much that I wouldn't still need a dedicated portrait lens in the medium term. Seeing that there're now XF 50/2 and 90/2 lenses for less than the 56/1.2, Fuji won out. The 4K video looks great, too.

Hopefully it ends up being portable enough in real-world use that I can sell off my E-M10 to a loving home, and reattach the 5D to my film digitizing rig indefinitely (after I get a Fuji portrait lens that matches the lovely quality of the EF 100mm macro).

(Speaking of the EF lens, there's no EF to X adapter that maintains electronic aperture control, is there? AF is a bridge too far, but I'd like to be able to at least use the lens' built-in aperture instead of an extra iris mounted behind the lens.)

I was pretty much set on the SLR-style form factor, but didn't even consider the X-Pro2 since it didn't have 4K. Now it's getting 4K. Crazy. I wonder if it will have the same quality as the T2, or have pixel-binned output like the T20 or E3.

You can get ef to xf adapters that have a manual aperture built into them.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

8th-snype posted:

You can get ef to xf adapters that have a manual aperture built into them.

And there’s apparently smart adapters that can do aperture/AF under development by two companies, I think at least one basically exists and has been shipped to beta testers now.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
Can anyone with an X-T20 confirm it has the multiple film simulation modes (Astia, Velvia, Provia, etc) that the X-T2 does? I’m testing both from borrowlenses but I don’t know if the X-T20 has the latest firmware or not.

EDIT: weird I just checked the X-T20 and they’re all there now? Weird

E2: setting the camera to the special auto setting leaves you with only Provia/monochrome/sepia

Arcella fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Dec 22, 2017

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Arcella posted:

Can anyone with an X-T20 confirm it has the multiple film simulation modes (Astia, Velvia, Provia, etc) that the X-T2 does? I’m testing both from borrowlenses but I don’t know if the X-T20 has the latest firmware or not.
It has Provia, Velvia, Astia, Classic Chrome, PRO Neg Hi + Std, Acros, Monochrome and Sepia. I think that's all of the ones on X-T2? I don't have mine handy at work but I checked the X-T20 manual online.

BTW, for X-T20ers, Fujirumors reports that Fujifilm Germany has said X Raw Studio support is expected to be available in early/spring 2018.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc
The only film simulations I care about are Acros and Classic Chrome, all others are inferior.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

8th-snype posted:

The only film simulations I care about are Acros and Classic Chrome, all others are inferior.

Provia is great if you live someplace green and sunny. Velvia looks like overprocessed garbage on most photos though.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I don’t know, I get good results from Velvia and I don’t ever think it looks overprocessed. Maybe a little inappropriate for some things but I like the look. Acros is king though - I took some photos at a jam session recently and the organist was a hobbyist photographer who was very curious how I got b&w images that looked like that. He was also curious in general at how I got shots like that with such a small camera. I love Fuji.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

People are so used to two decades of kids with Photoshop talking the saturation sliders all the way to the right that they've forgotten that velvia actually does look that crazily vivid.

I do enjoy that the film sim doesn't have the film stocks problem of making everyone look like they eat nothing but red meat.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Yeah Acros is game changing because of the dynamic grain when you shoot it in camera.

accipter
Sep 12, 2003
Has anyone had issue with the rubber coming off the body of their Fuji? The front and back on the right side is starting to slide around. I am guessing it has to do carrying around the camera with the 100-400 mm lens.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

accipter posted:

Has anyone had issue with the rubber coming off the body of their Fuji? The front and back on the right side is starting to slide around. I am guessing it has to do carrying around the camera with the 100-400 mm lens.

Having had that lens as well as the original X100, X-T1 and 2 I have never had any issues with the bodies like rubber coming off and used them all heavily (and in the rain and snow). Is it coming off the of the grip or somewhere else?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

accipter posted:

I believe it was a common issue on the X-T1. What body do you have?

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I believe it was a common issue on the X-T1. What body do you have?

Yeah, it's the grip of the X-T1.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

accipter posted:

Yeah, it's the grip of the X-T1.
If you get it repaired by Fujifilm it sounds like they replace it with a newer material like on the X-T2.

https://www.fujirumors.com/fujifilm-x-t1-rubber-grip-issue-no-longer-issue-last-experience-fujifilm-repair-service/

You might also be able to get the parts and attempt it yourself.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Yeah my X-T1 had that, as well as the side door bending and popping off.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

Would a Canon M100 be a good purchase, as a replacement/upgrade from an aging Powershot S95?

I'm looking for something with better image quality, better low light performance, and better autofocus than the S95, but with a relatively small form-factor still. I already have a decent Canon DSLR, but want something small that I can toss in my bag every day and use for social situations, without having to lug a big camera around. I was also looking at the Fuji X-T20 (i don't really want to spend that much, though) or Sony S6000 (I'm a bit concerned that it came out in 2014 and might be outdated compared to the competition). I'm willing to compromise on some features to keep the price reasonable - 4K video isn't crucial, and I'm aware of the EF-M lens situation - these aren't deal-breakers. The M series doesn't seem to have a great rep, but this one looks it might be ok for my needs?

M100s are currently $550 (Canadian) in the Boxing Day sales. Please, thread, if this is a terrible decision, please stop me before it's too late!

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

A few days into the X-T2. Getting really good looking 4K video is easier than I expected. It really adds a huge amount of usefulness and value. Low-light people pictures are also surpassing expectations. Those are the good things.

I know that for ever how much people gush about it, the 18-55/2.8-4 is still just a kit zoom. But even then, it was disappointing to find it no better than a typical $80 Canon 18-55 for optical quality control. To be fair, it's a little better at the long end thanks to the extra DoF control that the wider aperture permits, but the 18-35 range isn't so hot. All the people pictures were fine, but there was a noticeable shift in image quality across the frame of any 'scenic' shots.

18mm, f/5.6

Seems like the sides shouldn't be this uneven at two stops down. Not as bad as some of the kit zooms I've used before. I wonder what my odds of getting a better copy would be if I exchanged this one.

Edit: Another example. This one at f/3.6 though.

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Dec 27, 2017

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Zartans Lady Mask posted:

Would a Canon M100 be a good purchase, as a replacement/upgrade from an aging Powershot S95?

I'm looking for something with better image quality, better low light performance, and better autofocus than the S95, but with a relatively small form-factor still. I already have a decent Canon DSLR, but want something small that I can toss in my bag every day and use for social situations, without having to lug a big camera around. I was also looking at the Fuji X-T20 (i don't really want to spend that much, though) or Sony S6000 (I'm a bit concerned that it came out in 2014 and might be outdated compared to the competition). I'm willing to compromise on some features to keep the price reasonable - 4K video isn't crucial, and I'm aware of the EF-M lens situation - these aren't deal-breakers. The M series doesn't seem to have a great rep, but this one looks it might be ok for my needs?

M100s are currently $550 (Canadian) in the Boxing Day sales. Please, thread, if this is a terrible decision, please stop me before it's too late!

Have you considered X100s/t/X70/RX100?

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

rio posted:

How is it that camera menus can be so awful in almost 2018? This is seemingly basic level poo poo and if they are investing time into making bodies I would think putting some thought into the menu system would take a pretty short period of time comparatively. The most recent Sony camera I have used was when I had the rx10 miii and that was at least better than my old NEX 5n which was horrible so that isn’t saying much. Even a brand like Fuji having card format in “user settings” - I know that we all get used to where to find things eventually but why can’t they all just put some thought into it?

Also which camera brand is known for having he beat menu system these days? Are any of them doing it well?

Yeah, I never understood the still-terrible menu systems in many cameras, especially among Sony bodies. I feel like my no longer new GH5 has a fantastic menu layout, but that's only because I used to shoot with Sony gear prior to that. So anything was an improvement.

And something interesting- so I still own an a6500. But my wife, who's an intermediate-level photographer, instinctively grabs the GH5 when the a6500 is sitting right next to it. Even though the a6500 does better stills, she still prefers the GH5 because its menu system is so much easier to navigate. She can just find all of the stuff that she needs. She's really happy with it.

Proof that a good camera experience extends far beyond a fancypants sensor and "better" DxO Mark scores.

The m100 is a camera that was released in 2017 that would have been a "good" camera in 2007. Skip it. I'd take whatever7's suggestion and consider the higher end point and shoots.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Dec 27, 2017

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Yeah, the current "best" camera I have in my bag at work is a Sony a5000 and I like the quality it provides but the menus are poo poo, it takes seven years to start up and the AF is trash. So about half the time I'll grab a Canon DSLR or Olympus body because they are just easier to work.

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord

8th-snype posted:

Yeah, the current "best" camera I have in my bag at work is a Sony a5000 and I like the quality it provides but the menus are poo poo, it takes seven years to start up and the AF is trash. So about half the time I'll grab a Canon DSLR or Olympus body because they are just easier to work.

Well, to be fair to a5000, it's really old and absolutely tiny. I used to have one that I sold to coworker and kinda miss it sometimes when I see her using it. It was so tiny, had tilting screen, people had absolutely no idea you were taking pictures or that you even had a camera in your hands. But yeah, interface (both physical buttons and menu) sucked, blows my mind that tiny directional controller/wheel thingy and buttons are exactly same size on a5000 and A7 II.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Large-sensor compacts would be a good way to go for replacing your old Canon compact, but if you're really interested in getting an interchangable-lens camera, Olympus is worth a look. The E-M10 series are all good; you can find one for equal or lesser cost than the m100 and you get an EVF to boot. If you're looking even smaller, Olympus and Panasonic both make some really tiny bodies. Maybe check out the Panasonic GM-1 if you want the smallest thing possible. It's older now, but still theoretically better than any 1"-sensor compact camera unless you're really into video.

I think most people see the current mirrorless system from Canon as a stopgap or side project. With Olympus and Panasonic, the MLIC market is their bread and butter. There is a huge selection of lenses between the two of them, and they're cross-compatible.

That said, I maybe have more regard than most for Canon's image quality. I think they have unmatched color rendition (at least as of the last generation of DSLRs...5DIII and 70D era), and their interface and hardware build quality have always been way better than Sony's. But I don't know much about their recent MILC and compact offerings; they don't seem to be making a serious attempt at either market. Still, if you're looking for a cheap and small system camera, I think an SL1 or an old Rebel still have lots to offer, and are often overlooked.

--

On a different subject, has anyone seen the new Panasonic G9? Its supposed to be more stills-focused than the GH series, which are now almost entirely video-centric cameras. It's supposed to have better color rendition, which has always been a weak point of Panasonic's, but it's got a top shoulder LCD panel, which is something I don't think any other mirrorless cameras have. Its nice being able to check exposure setting at a glance; it's one of the reasons I really liked the shutter and ISO dials on the top of the Fuji X-T1/2.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

ugh whatever jeez posted:

Well, to be fair to a5000, it's really old and absolutely tiny. I used to have one that I sold to coworker and kinda miss it sometimes when I see her using it. It was so tiny, had tilting screen, people had absolutely no idea you were taking pictures or that you even had a camera in your hands. But yeah, interface (both physical buttons and menu) sucked, blows my mind that tiny directional controller/wheel thingy and buttons are exactly same size on a5000 and A7 II.

The sensor is really nice for the conditions I work under at my day job but I recently acquired a canon T2i so I'll probably be using that quite a bit more. I wish someone in my area would donate an XE2 or XT1 to Goodwill.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

ugh whatever jeez posted:

Yeah, back when I was shooting with an NEX5n, which is I believe the same size as the a5000 (loving tiny body) it was so unintimidating, unless I adapted a large lens to it in which case it became comical. Even my old X100 was more intimidating, although not by much - that looked like more of a “real camera” and the NEX5n looked like a point and shoot with the right lens on it. For all of its menu and interface problems I loved that camera. It was the first mirrorless camera I ever had and the first digits camera with great image quality that I had too. I bought the EVF for it and although it looked like a dumb Star Trek prop I loved how it articulated to let me shoot top down and for its time it was the best electronic viewfinder out there (it still holds up well) and it made adapting manual focus lenses really fun. For all the other reasons I left Sony, that was another one - I was upset that they didn’t keep that modular approach to their mirrorless cameras. I liked being able to buy add ons and keep the body small. It made it bad to hold with heavier lenses but I ended up holding the camera by the lens more instead of by the grip. I wish they kept it mostly just because I would have loved to plug that EVF into new bodies - I don’t know of any other mirrorless that had an articulating EVF and it was a great feature for me.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

The GX8 has an articulating EVF, but your point stands. The GX8 is very large for an m43 camera and is in no way unobtrusive.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

That viewfinder is the only reason I haven't dumped it yet. I really like looking down when doing macro. Anyone want a GX8 PM me though.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
The Fuji gfx 50s has an articulating EVF, well one you can add to it anyways.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

SMERSH Mouth posted:

The GX8 has an articulating EVF, but your point stands. The GX8 is very large for an m43 camera and is in no way unobtrusive.

GX7 too, which was one thing I loved about that camera that I was disappointed didn't carry over to the GX85

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I've just been out playing with my a5000 trying to get some star pictures. There's a few things I wish I'd sprung for a better model for, the autofocus on newer ones is much better apparently (though thats not really applicablet for what I've been doing tonight), and maybe touchscreen navigation as I'm coming from cellphones but as my first interchangeable lens camera I'm happy with it, especially with how small it is. I don't find the menus too big an issue but that could be because I have nothing to compare it to? On the topic of adding stuff to Sony bodies, Z Nation have been using the A7 series to film and the amount of stuff added to those bodies is insane.

Article here http://resourcemagonline.com/2015/08/shooting-syfys-z-nation-in-the-dead-of-the-night-with-the-sony-a7s/56677/

Which can be summed up with this image:

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Camera bag recommendations? Looking for something to hold my X-T20 + 18-55mm, Samyang 12mm, lens hoods, my mini tripod (Manfrotto PIXI), memory cards and spare battery. The more compact/low-profile and lightweight the better - am not a fan of bulky messenger style bags and too much weight on one shoulder can cause my back to ache. Most of the bags I've seen are too bulky or 'professional' looking (e.g. the big padded lowepro cases) for my tastes; I'd be using this while travelling so don't to lug something like that around. The Thinktank Mirrorless Mover 20 caught my eye (https://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/mirrorless-mover-20).

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I like Domke’s F-5X line for mirrorless setups. I have the B (which is already pretty compact) for carrying around my X-T2 with a couple of lenses, and the A is a bit smaller. I find that sticking a piece of Velcro on the flap so it doesn’t make as much noise is a big improvement.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Few else will agree, but a Bilingham Hadley Pro will swallow all those items easily.

Bonus, when traveling in Europe you’ll look more like a local and less like a tourist photographer to be mugged.

Also I think they’re quite handsome.

Edit: I have a shoulder pad on mine that distributes the weight nicely. I’ve done 10-12 miles of walking per day with it in some countries without big issues.

bobfather fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Dec 29, 2017

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005
I'll disagree but only because I think the Hadley Pro is overkill for that setup. Check first, but I'd argue the Hadley Small would be a perfect fit for that setup, I've used one for my Sony full frame setup with two/three lenses all over the world and it's my go-to for travelling light.

The Billingham bags are pricey but I've found they're better made than anything else I've found, and look great without being particularly noticeable.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

The Hadley Small is nice, but the top handle on the Pro is a great feature the Small doesn’t have. Being able to briefcase-carry in a pinch is super helpful on crowded buses and trains.

Also the Pro isn’t very much more expensive...

phongn
Oct 21, 2006

I have an Ona Bowery which fits my XT-1 and a few lenses really nicely.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I love Think Tank's stuff for my camera bag looking camera bags but I don't actually like them that much for trying to be casual. I'd go Ona, Billingham, or Peak Design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
The Peak Designs Everyday Messenger is really great and looks just like a regular bag. It's a little big for just one camera and a lens but it's not bulky at all so that wouldn't be a big issue. THe strap is super comfortable and easily adjusted as well.