Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
If anything that narrative makes you hate Olar Ethil EVEN MORE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolHandMat
Oct 5, 2017

apophenium posted:

I'm working my way through Deadhouse Landing right now. Good enough, though I think ICE is leaning a bit too hard on stuff we already know from the main series. Still enjoyable.

Its so weird reading a Malazan book and knowing who the characters are immediately. Normally you get a few lines of description about their weapons or clothing, and you dont get the reveal on the character for a while. But in Deadhouse Landing, they come right out and name everyone - other than "Jack" and Kallor for a few pages.

Good book, but a different feel from the SE to ICE.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

CoolHandMat posted:

Its so weird reading a Malazan book and knowing who the characters are immediately. Normally you get a few lines of description about their weapons or clothing, and you dont get the reveal on the character for a while. But in Deadhouse Landing, they come right out and name everyone - other than "Jack" and Kallor for a few pages.

I enjoy ICE books because they are easy reading. I can't seem to make it through the second Karkhanas book or whatever because all there is is loving pages of dudes talking like they are wannabe poets. And nothing happens

CoolHandMat
Oct 5, 2017

pile of brown posted:

All of Erickson (Malazan) is unreliable narrative, history retold, or just straight up lies someone else believed... It would be weird if it WAS internally consistent

if you believe it, its not a lie!

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I'm waiting for the final twist to be that the whole series is actually written by Gothos, and all the contradictions are him deliberately loving with us.

It would be a very Gothos thing to do.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I enjoy ICE books because they are easy reading. I can't seem to make it through the second Karkhanas book or whatever because all there is is loving pages of dudes talking like they are wannabe poets. And nothing happens

That stuff's good

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

That stuff's good

Dude. Two guards stood on a wall and stared into a river and talked about it for 15 loving pages. And then they decided to just gently caress off and wander away.

It was excruciating.

CoolHandMat
Oct 5, 2017

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Dude. Two guards stood on a wall and stared into a river and talked about it for 15 loving pages. And then they decided to just gently caress off and wander away.

It was excruciating.

but.. but... every line means something..

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Deadhouse Landing was a pleasant surprise. It's ICE so there is a quota of unlikeable characters no one gives a poo poo about forced down our throats (Cowl and Tayschrenn, in this case, and a lot of Dassem could have been axed with no detriment to the story LOOK WE GET IT HE IS THE BEST WITH A SWORD) but Kellanved and Dancer's wacky pirate adventures are fun. There seem to be some contradictions (I thought Whiskeyjack's nickname was a Malazan bastardization of his actual name, where does Jack come in?) and plot lines ending nowhere (are we supposed to know who Opal is? It sounds vaguely familiar, but I really have no idea). Definitely ways above Lament and its wet fart of a storyline.

I'll still take the incessantly philosophizing guards of FoL over it any day, though.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Lmao at people hating FoL. I guess I have a broad approach to literature, I enjoy both the heavy and the light stuff. Can't wait to get my hands on Deadhouse Landing.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Errant Gin Monks posted:

It was excruciating.

No, that's fine.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Errant Gin Monks posted:

It was excruciating.

Dude, that's basically What Erikson Does, and it's good.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Fenrir posted:

Dude, that's basically What Erikson Does, and it's good.

I didn't notice it in the Malazan books anywhere near as much as FoL. But whatever Itsbjust going to take me forever to finish that book a little at a time.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I didn't notice it in the Malazan books anywhere near as much as FoL. But whatever Itsbjust going to take me forever to finish that book a little at a time.

The good news/bad news is that those two bridge guards exist to just talk and talk, and do nothing throughout the book. You can safely skim over any section they are in.
All in all, if you're not enjoying FoL, stop reading it & move onto something else.

Here's a FoL spoiler-free summary for you:
The Hood plotline from the 1st book advances slightly, one of the Elder gods from core Malazan books shows up, Deadhouses get explained slightly more, and the big Darkness versus Light battle that caused eternal hatred in the Tiste bloodlines literally gets wargamed out in 3 pages.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

The good news/bad news is that those two bridge guards exist to just talk and talk, and do nothing throughout the book. You can safely skim over any section they are in.
All in all, if you're not enjoying FoL, stop reading it & move onto something else.

Here's a FoL spoiler-free summary for you:
The Hood plotline from the 1st book advances slightly, one of the Elder gods from core Malazan books shows up, Deadhouses get explained slightly more, and the big Darkness versus Light battle that caused eternal hatred in the Tiste bloodlines literally gets wargamed out in 3 pages.

Thanks fam.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I mean, it was there, but yeah it definitely wasn't as ...lengthy. I'll give you that. But like, Reaper's Gale especially had a lot of those long philosophy bits, especially with Fiddler and Janath.

Jayisspecial
Sep 16, 2006

Therock Obama

CoolHandMat posted:

I read up to Orb, Scepter Throne but I left Blood and Bone and Assail alone because the feedback in this thread was pretty terrible. Seems like people like Deadhouse Landing, though. Will I be lost if I jump right into it?

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Probably should read Dancer's Lament first but I don't really think the other ICE books are necessary. Night of Knives introduces a few characters he uses in Landing because it's on Malaz but I don't think anyone would be lost if they didn't read it.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Just about done with GotM (Simtal's fete) and while I remember most events, I forget a lot of the motivation for things unfolding. Finding the sheer number of characters a teeny bit overwhelming. Definitely enjoyed it and going to continue with the series, but I find myself wondering "hmm why are they doing this" a bit here and there.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Most of GotM gets retconned one way or another so a lot of those motivations end up irrelevant.

Pleiades
Aug 20, 2006
On Deadhouse Gates. 22% Complete.

Both Fiddler and Kalam went from "just there in GOTM" to VERY interesting with Fiddler being a favorite pretty damned quick.

Duiker is pretty cool too. Poor Felisin. :(

"I will not disappear!" Coltaine :love:

And Mallick Rel is practically farting red flags.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Evertime I reread GotM I get surprised every time by the Crimson Guard showing up which is obviously very important but if you don't read outside the book of the fallen you'll never care. Sorry ICE.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'd argue you're gonna care more if you haven't read ICE.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

anilEhilated posted:

I'd argue you're gonna care more if you haven't read ICE.

Agreed.
I avoided all ICE Crimson Guard books, and the Crimson Guard dudes in GoTM will forever remain cool.

CoolHandMat
Oct 5, 2017
you miss out on Temper, Braven Tooth, and a lot of Daseem stuff if you skip on the ICE

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Cowl was completely pointless in Deadhouse Landing and Esslemont continues on his path of making the crimson guard uninteresting. Same goes for Kallor.
Given the two books in the series path to ascendancy I guess the end result will be that all the failures from the series will end up in the crimson guard.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I never figured out why so many characters tolerated Kallor and didn't just kill him on sight.

How did he end up working on the same side as the Rake?

Although I did enjoy the idea that the world has completely moved on, and the one time Greatest Sorcerer Who Ever Lived is reduced to being just some dude wandering about.

Strom Cuzewon fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Dec 26, 2017

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I never figured out why so many characters tolerated Kallor and didn't just kill him on sight.

How did he end up working on the same side as the Rake?

Although I did enjoy the idea that the world has completely moved on, and the one time Greatest Sorcerer Who Ever Lived is reduced to being just some dude wandering about.

I feel like this is the opening line of some Dark Tower/Malazan cross over fan fiction.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Kallor Is just badass, can't kill him.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I feel like this is the opening line of some Dark Tower/Malazan cross over fan fiction.

There's a definite similarity between Kallor and Randall Flagg/Walter O'Dimwit - both terrifying symbols of evil, both get somewhat chumped on.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple
I thought part of Kallor's curse was the fact that he was doomed to an eternity of never being able to attain his goals, therefore he can't be killed, just constantly making minor progress before getting dunked on?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
If I rememeber correctly, his curse is that he won't ever ascend despite having had the power to pull it off (though probably not anymore) - the eternity bit is just product of his stubbornness and very special candles he uses to outlive the three who cursed him.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I don't have my Memories copy anywhere convenient but I thought one component of the curse was also that he would never die and that the candles were his way of preserving youth and strength so as to avoid being an immortal old as gently caress man.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

quote:

You, Kallor Eiderann Tes'thesula, shall know mortal life unending. Mortal, in the ravages of age, in the pain of wounds and the anguish of despair. In dreams brought to ruin. In love withered. In the shadow of Death's spectre, ever a threat to end what you will not relinquish. Kallor Eiderann Tes'thesula, you shall never ascend. Kallor Eiderann Tes'thesula, each time you rise, you shall then fall. All that you achieve shall turn to dust in your hands. As you have wilfully done here, so it shall be in turn visited upon all that you do. Three voices curse you. It is done.

Kallor is probably one of my favorite characters from anything ever. Kallor and Eeyore.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Eeyore is the mule. Witness!

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

anilEhilated posted:

If I rememeber correctly, his curse is that he won't ever ascend despite having had the power to pull it off (though probably not anymore) - the eternity bit is just product of his stubbornness and very special candles he uses to outlive the three who cursed him.

Well, the curse keeps him alive, the candles just rejuvenate his body to a degree so he isn't a complete corpse like a T'lan Imass or something.

CoolHandMat
Oct 5, 2017

anilEhilated posted:

is this Special Candle a real thing you're refering to or a joke?

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple

CoolHandMat posted:

is this Special Candle a real thing you're refering to or a joke?

They're real things.

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
they're called century candles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Kallor Is like : man, Rake is gonna be pissed at me for a century or two, don't even know why! Better do some other stuff *proceeds to exterminate one race*