Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Yaws posted:

I loved mother! but I think I'd put Black Swan and The Wrestler over it.

I like both, but something about mother! puts it over the top for me. It's just so tight and self-assured.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

The movie does a fantastic job of putting in perspective the absolute hell of have your agency robbed from you repeatedly (i.e. the average experience of women in our society)

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Yaws posted:

You shan't have been triggered. There are no "people" in this film.

There were actually many people in this film.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

I Before E posted:

There were actually many people in this film.

:nallears:

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
this movie is absurd

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Doorknob Slobber posted:

this movie is absurd

It is a great existentialist piece, yes.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Doorknob Slobber posted:

this movie is absurd

like ur mother

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
remember when the only hollywood scandal was aronofsky abusing lawrence via mother

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Doorknob Slobber posted:

this movie is absurd

absurdly good

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

-Blackadder- posted:

Quick question: Should I spoil myself on this movie or is it worth the wait to see it spoiler free?

I've managed to avoid spoilers for this movie and the hype/controversy surrounding it has got me chomping at the bit to see. However I probably won't see it any time soon.

My question is, is this movie worth waiting to see spoiler free or should I just spoil myself now?

Also I previously had this same dilema with Get Out, but decided to wait and see it spoiler free, and it ended up being worth the wait. Of course that was a different movie so it might not be the same for this one.

Well I finally saw this and pretty much wish I'd just spoiled myself. drat, this was boring af. I guess I was expecting something with better pacing and a little more down to earth(haha).

I haven't bothered reading what the general consensus in the thread is but it just didn't work for me. I really enjoyed Pi, The Fountain, and the Wrestler, and even Noah was decent, but this just dragged. Oh well.

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

-Blackadder- posted:

Well I finally saw this and pretty much wish I'd just spoiled myself. drat, this was boring af. I guess I was expecting something with better pacing and a little more down to earth(haha).

I haven't bothered reading what the general consensus in the thread is but it just didn't work for me. I really enjoyed Pi, The Fountain, and the Wrestler, and even Noah was decent, but this just dragged. Oh well.

:redass:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

-Blackadder- posted:

mother! still owning dweebs and simpletons ityool 2017 LMBO

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Yup.

I honestly don't much care for the movie, there was some really great camera work and visuals, I think the acting is pretty great, but I feel like the movie unravels(on purpose) in the second half in a bombastic way I didn't much care for. Pretty much as soon as the sons show up it is mostly down hill from there.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Except I laugh at people that get owned by mother! because mother! owns and is the most memorable film I've seen this year among six dozen others.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

I hadn't even thought about Ionesco but it has very strong similarities to Rhinoceros and The Bald Soprano.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Except I laugh at people that get owned by mother! because mother! owns and is the most memorable film I've seen this year among six dozen others.

A Serbian Film is memorable but it doesn't mean it's good

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Yes, but mother! is good and A Serbian Film is not, hence the invalidity of your point, not to mention your genetic heritage.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

He is just not dumb enough to feel smart after being shocked by this silly film.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

:kiss:

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Lmao, sorry fellas, I really did want to like this. And I certainly appreciated what it was going for, just not my thing, I guess. I hope we can still be friends.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

You're good, dude. It was divisive from the get go.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I liked the one single Native American dude who was trying to fix poo poo up in all the chaos and said something like "You're supposed to respect it".

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

She also asks a dude who's ripping boards out of the wall "why are you doing this?" and his response is "to prove we're here!"

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Not sure I agree with the theological conclusions and comparisons Aaronofsky is drawing in this movie. I do loving love it though. It's very good.

There is a certain intense anxiety, discomfort, and psychosis to this movie when you view it through Lawrence's character, which is easy as that's what the movie begs you to do constantly. It's very easy for me to connect to it, it's nearly therapeutic for me in this regard.

I understand why some people don't like it, but there's a lot to get out of it if you are a certain kind of person with a certain kind of relationship to faith or creative action.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Darrenofsky is my greatest of all time director. I've seen all of his movies except Noah at least 10 times. I think The Fountain is one of the greatest love stories ever told, and The Wrestler is the best movie ever made. But I just saw mother and I...I don't get it. And I don't think watching it any number of times again is going to make me get it.

I seriously thought when the baby was born and it cuts to it in her arms, it was going to pull a "chaoos reiiiiigns"

E: Also was disappointed that she didn't use the panties she threw behind the washing machine to set the fire at the end.

drunken officeparty fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Dec 24, 2017

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

drunken officeparty posted:

I seriously thought when the baby was born and it cuts to it in her arms, it was going to pull a "chaoos reiiiiigns"

I'm pretty sure you get it.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
This might be Aronofsky's most intense movie to date.

Though I have to say the baby scene, neck snapping sound and all, absolutely hosed me up to the point where it got me out of the movie for 2-3 minutes. Maybe it's because I have a 10 months son myself, but between the buildup to that scene (mother caring for the son she always wanted and Bardem waiting for her to fall asleep to steal him away) and the newborn peeing right before getting killed (no idea why I'm finding that unnerving) I just, huh, got hosed really hard..

It's obviously a masterpiece but I'm wondering whether that scene was really necessary or just bad taste. It did make me lose my focus for a while so I'd say it was a bit excessive even for Aronofsky. I don't think I'll watch this twice.

Kawabata fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Dec 24, 2017

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Kawabata posted:

Though I have to say the baby scene, neck snapping sound and all, absolutely hosed me up to the point where it got me out of the movie for 2-3 minutes. Maybe it's because I have a 10 months son myself, but between the buildup to that scene (mother caring for the son she always wanted and Bardem waiting for her to fall asleep to steal him away) and the newborn peeing right before getting killed (no idea why I'm finding that unnerving) I just, huh, got hosed really hard..

Yeah, I think it's the juxtaposition of a very natural defenselessness (the innocent physical gesture of neonate incontinence) with the sort of shallow and repulsed reaction of some of the people in the crowd when they get pissed on. Like many of the most disturbing images in life it crosses wires in the brain, one almost wants to laugh at first out of humiliation and self-defense...which makes the feeling more intense when it switches over to a sense of mortal terror.

The example I always think of is from The Thin Red Line when Keck tries to throw a grenade and pulls it from his belt by the pin, basically blowing himself in half. In this situation the camera never shows us the gore but rather the fear on people's faces. To the viewer that doesn't know what's coming Keck's reaction is almost comical at first as he swears at himself, but it's when he remarks that he'll never gently caress again that that mortal terror sort of kicks in and you feel the full weight of what this means for him and the people that depend on him. It's a tragicomic element that always gets to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMUHkM1t7l0

shut up netface
Jun 15, 2008
I had to seek out this thread so i could express my absolute hatred of this movie.I finished it not more than an hour ago.

I was initially intrigued with eventually finding some sort of metaphor to be uncovered. I first started thinking it was an interpretation on a Polanski film. Then i thought it was some sort of statement of the role of women/ womanhood. Then I thought it was a Biblical Parable. Then as a woman's relationship as the lover and supporter of a tortured artist, giving away her agency for his success. then i thought it was ANOTHER biblical/christ allegory/ statement about organized religion .

Then JLaw lit herself on CGI fire, and then it occurred to me.

Darren Aronofsky made an ugly, unpleasant, sensationalistic movie that tricks stupid people into thinking they're smart by smashing you over the head with a meaning that isn't fully realized.

I also read an interview with Jennifer Lawrence, who explained the "True" meaning of the film, which was an environmental one. I was way off, and apparently not bright enough to figure that one out on my own. I apparently needed a postscript explanation of this MAJOR RELEASE MOVIE, like I was some kind of idiot child.

here's a visual representation of Darren trying to get a point across
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-NH6TGZTcc

If you're like the people who enjoyed Mother! who were dense enough to enjoy it, let me explain my video. Darren is Kurt Van Houten, the Movie is crudely drawn representation of Dignity, Luann Van Houten is the viewer, uncomfortable and frustrated.

gently caress YOU DARREN.

shut up netface fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Dec 31, 2017

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

shut up netface posted:

I had to seek out this thread so i could express my absolute hatred of this movie.I finished it not more than an hour ago.

I was initially intrigued with eventually finding some sort of metaphor to be uncovered. I first started thinking it was an interpretation on a Polanski film. Then i thought it was some sort of statement of the role of women/ womanhood. Then I thought it was a Biblical Parable. Then as a woman's relationship as the lover and supporter of a tortured artist, giving away her agency for his success. then i thought it was ANOTHER biblical/christ allegory/ statement about organized religion .

Then JLaw lit herself on CGI fire, and then it occurred to me.

Darren Aronofsky made an ugly, unpleasant, sensationalistic movie that tricks stupid people into thinking they're smart by smashing you over the head with a meaning that isn't fully realized.

I also read an interview with Jennifer Lawrence, who explained the "True" meaning of the film, which was an environmental one. I was way off, and apparently not bright enough to figure that one out on my own. I apparently needed a postscript explanation of this MAJOR RELEASE MOVIE, like I was some kind of idiot child.

here's a visual representation of Darren trying to get a point across
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-NH6TGZTcc

If you're like the people who enjoyed Mother! who were dense enough to enjoy it, let me explain my video. Darren is Kurt Van Houten, the Movie is crudely drawn representation of Dignity, Luann Van Houten is the viewer, uncomfortable and frustrated.

gently caress YOU DARREN.

Have you considered therapy

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
y'know, I'm not someone in this thread that gets really indigent when people say they didn't like the movie (I myself was a little underwhelmed by it, though I went in with sky high expectation) but acting like watching the film is some sort of game where you have to figure out the one true meaning and then flipping over the game board and accusing the filmmaker of cheating or at least not playing badly when you find something that says the meaning might not match up to what you thought it meant is....odd.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
This movie lets stupid people feel smart. Also I missed the point completely!

What a stupid, stupid movie.

shut up netface
Jun 15, 2008

glam rock hamhock posted:

y'know, I'm not someone in this thread that gets really indigent when people say they didn't like the movie (I myself was a little underwhelmed by it, though I went in with sky high expectation) but acting like watching the film is some sort of game where you have to figure out the one true meaning and then flipping over the game board and accusing the filmmaker of cheating or at least not playing badly when you find something that says the meaning might not match up to what you thought it meant is....odd.

perhaps I should have dialed that back.The ideas are poorly formed, and half heartedly executed, and the entire film is an obtuse mess. Its as if it was written by a teenage dipshit in Creative Writing 101 after reading a few Kafta stories. Our dipshit will respond to any level of criticism with "WELL YOU JUST DONT GET IT MAN ITS REALLY ABOUT..."

gently caress, and I thought this movie was gonna be about a writers wife getting gaslit.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
it's about customer service

shut up netface
Jun 15, 2008

Magic Hate Ball posted:

it's about customer service

Worst airbnb ever

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Some people criticize this movie for being too obvious while others criticise it for being too obtuse, and a whole lot of people manage to do both at the same time with an extra helping of angry rhetoric about intelligence and who really has it.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I just feel Aronofsky wouldn't be all "NO NO NO YOU DIDN'T GET IT ALL" and more "Well what do you think it's about?". In my experience talking to filmmakers (especially ones that make films like this) while they might have a true meaning in mind, they want their film to be open to whatever anyone will get out of it, which is why they tend to be so shy in speaking about what it's about in the first place. They don't want to unduly influence what people get out of their movie. I think Aronofsky has shown aggravation that people have hated his movie, which is understandable, but it's more because a tone of people don't engage in it at all rather than interpret it incorrectly.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I just think it's a great movie about systemic denial of autonomy that bloats into outlandish zaniness a la Zazie dans le metro. The way Lawrence's peace is so persistently intruded upon is so sickly funny, even just starting out with a scene that could be in Curb Your Enthusiasm (drunk lady insists on seeing home), and the way her intents are so utterly twisted back upon her (she's never allowed to be right - she's right to be upset, but the social temperature is always against her, like in the scene where she's wearing a bathrobe at the funeral). Mostly it's the way it expands and duplicates itself is what gets me, it keeps growing and growing with almost mathematic precision until in the second half it's literally doubling every minute.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

shut up netface posted:

perhaps I should have dialed that back.The ideas are poorly formed, and half heartedly executed, and the entire film is an obtuse mess. Its as if it was written by a teenage dipshit in Creative Writing 101 after reading a few Kafta stories. Our dipshit will respond to any level of criticism with "WELL YOU JUST DONT GET IT MAN ITS REALLY ABOUT..."

gently caress, and I thought this movie was gonna be about a writers wife getting gaslit.

How Kaftaesque...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I like how so many negative responses say the movie is heavy handed in delivering its message but few of those responses actually agree on what that supposedly obvious message is.

• Locked thread