Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I knew Max Landis was a weirdo, but now he’s a sex weirdo allegedly and that makes me upset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Desperado Bones posted:

A mini-series of centaur cop daily life would be a dream come true. And I'm completely serious :allears:
How serious should it be though? Like is it going to end up being Bojack Horseman just making constant jabs at all the things we take for granted in life being annoying as gently caress if you're a centaur? Stairs, elevators, narrow corners, scratchable floors, vehicles, being banned from most sports (maybe basketball accepts centaurs), shower stalls, bathtubs, being able to scratch your own arse with your hands, shoes that have to be loving nailed to your feet.

Edit: people saying "why the long face?" and the centaur getting really angry because that joke doesn't even make sense he has a normal human face.

roomforthetuna fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Dec 30, 2017

HardKase
Jul 15, 2007
TASTY

roomforthetuna posted:

How serious should it be though? Like is it going to end up being Bojack Horseman just making constant jabs at all the things we take for granted in life being annoying as gently caress if you're a centaur? Stairs, elevators, narrow corners, scratchable floors, vehicles, being banned from most sports (maybe basketball accepts centaurs), shower stalls, bathtubs, being able to scratch your own arse with your hands, shoes that have to be loving nailed to your feet.

Edit: people saying "why the long face?" and the centaur getting really angry because that joke doesn't even make sense he has a normal human face.

I imagine they play a fair bit of polo.

Now I want something about being a quadraped in a bipedal world.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The MSJ posted:

I also heard a mention of a war involving 9 races, so I guess there are 3 or 4 types of fantasy people they haven’t mentioned.

Orc, Dwarf, Goblin, Panahu, Giant, Ogre, Brezzik, Elf, Centaur, Human, "miscellaneous"
https://twitter.com/uptomyknees/status/774100109747326976
Brezzik are lizardmen, no one seems to know what Panahu are supposed to be

Also Landis posted those infographics was back in September 2016 so who knows how relevant they still are to the finished film

Also here's an interview with David Ayers where he talks about how they finetuned the film so that the audience had just the right amount of exposition to piece everything together. The interviewer also peppers him with questions about the dragon. :v:

David Ayers posted:

One of the toughest things to get right in a film is the ending and right out the gate we knew we had an ending that worked. And so knowing that, then you can go back and reverse engineer the rest of the movie to actually earn that ending. And in the audience screenings, recruit screenings we do, it gives you insight, it gives you a dashboard into what's not landing or working and it helps you refine the exposition and give the audience the information they need so they can not ask so many questions and sit back and just enjoy the film.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

quote:

recruit screenings we do, it gives you insight, it gives you a dashboard into what's not landing or working
Man, imagine living in those dark times when writers had to think about what people would probably be able to comprehend and enjoy, just using their own creative brain. Thank goodness we live in this enlightened age of consumer panels and test screenings so these loving lizard aliens who create entertainment can finally figure out what actual real humans want in their things.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

roomforthetuna posted:

Man, imagine living in those dark times when writers had to think about what people would probably be able to comprehend and enjoy, just using their own creative brain. Thank goodness we live in this enlightened age of consumer panels and test screenings so these loving lizard aliens who create entertainment can finally figure out what actual real humans want in their things.

And it still didn't work because people were left with a bunch of questions :v:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Watched it today, it was fun as hell and had a good setting. Would recommend, and really don't understand how anyone can hate it.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I get the feeling that they went back and added that montage of street graffiti at the start as part of the worldbuilding but it went by so fast that it didn't register for a lot of people.

Also was this specific graffiti a reference to anything? It feels like it's a reference to a quote or an image from the real world

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I get the feeling that they went back and added that montage of street graffiti at the start as part of the worldbuilding but it went by so fast that it didn't register for a lot of people.
It registered and made it more confusing for me. Like there was orc graffiti "we protect you because no-one else will" or something, that looked like orc SWAT teams or military or something, but apparently there is only one experimental token orc cop, so what was that graffiti about?

strong bird
May 12, 2009

roomforthetuna posted:

It registered and made it more confusing for me. Like there was orc graffiti "we protect you because no-one else will" or something, that looked like orc SWAT teams or military or something, but apparently there is only one experimental token orc cop, so what was that graffiti about?

Orc gang

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

roomforthetuna posted:

It's the whole "You're happy to let an Orc go to war to fight to protect your freedoms but you won't let him share in them when he comes back home" dealio. Apparently the military is happy to take orcs (and have since medieval times, WW1, WW2, 'Nam and the present) even though the police have held out until now.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Also was this specific graffiti a reference to anything? It feels like it's a reference to a quote or an image from the real world

"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you” basically

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Looks like a mix of several shittiest man alive Wyatt Mann comics.

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

In real life LA had an extreme burst of gang violence between like ~1988 to like ~1992 where the homicide rate rose by 800% from what it was a decade ago then went back down a few years later. It hasn't been real for two decades now but it made such a striking image that is kinda just how people show LA in fiction even now where the homicide rate is what it is everywhere else in the US.

See this is some dumb poo poo right here. The question was "Why does LA in the movie look like it's on the brink of outright warfare" and the answer is "Oh hey iunno, just how they make LA look in movies I guess? Those morons don't know it's not 1990 anymore lol!"

Have you considered that the moviemakers didn't somehow slip all those incredibly expensive shots of militarised police, APC's, machine-guns and barricades into the movie on accident? That they might be trying to tell you something? With visuals? In the incredibly visual medium of film-making?

Because I may just be a simple country farmer, but if a film shows me a that fictional fantasy America is one wrong move away from bloody carnage and revolution, I might just take that to mean that their fictional fantasy America is moments away from bloody carnage and revolution. An idea which is borne out by the literal rest of the movie.

You moron.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah, lol. "What's up with all the graffiti and homeless people?"

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The homeless population in LA has exploded in numbers the last couple of years. Add into that the burgeoning non-Mexican Latino communities who are also plagued by poor living conditions and a shrinking job market, of course gang recruitment's going to be on the rise (not to mention the way social media has exacerbated the allure of that lifestyle to the typical internet teenager).

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Often Abbreviated posted:

See this is some dumb poo poo right here. The question was "Why does LA in the movie look like it's on the brink of outright warfare" and the answer is "Oh hey iunno, just how they make LA look in movies I guess? Those morons don't know it's not 1990 anymore lol!"

Have you considered that the moviemakers didn't somehow slip all those incredibly expensive shots of militarised police, APC's, machine-guns and barricades into the movie on accident? That they might be trying to tell you something? With visuals? In the incredibly visual medium of film-making?

Because I may just be a simple country farmer, but if a film shows me a that fictional fantasy America is one wrong move away from bloody carnage and revolution, I might just take that to mean that their fictional fantasy America is moments away from bloody carnage and revolution. An idea which is borne out by the literal rest of the movie.

You moron.

People kinda do that with everywhere though. Every place on earth is just stuck in whatever moment is most in the public consciousness. People set things in modern mexico and film it like a dusty cowboy town, egypt like it's the year 400BC or Japan like it's still 1980 all the time. If something sticks in people's heads people just make it that way forever and ever.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
lol at the ‘that’s just LA’ comments. Maybe if you’re some sheltered suburbanite, but no, the LAPD does not normally park APCs outside of downtown/ Police stations. It clearly meant something in the context of the movie. I wish they had expanded upon that.

I’d love to see like a city council race movie in this universe.

E: to be clear, I’m just making fun of the people who thought real life, current day, LA was like that, not the people providing historical context.

Fill Baptismal fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Dec 30, 2017

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

In my ten years living in LA, I've been privy to at least three live executions on tv following a LAPD car chase/stand off.

They don't need APCs to light some poor fucker up.

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

People kinda do that with everywhere though. Every place on earth is just stuck in whatever moment is most in the public consciousness. People set things in modern mexico and film it like a dusty cowboy town, egypt like it's the year 400BC or Japan like it's still 1980 all the time. If something sticks in people's heads people just make it that way forever and ever.

Because it connects with an idea. LA does not instantly equal gang war. Shot a different way it can mean the La La Land of beautiful Hollywood dreams! Or the dark criminal underworld of 40's noir. Or seedy sexploitation of young starlets. All of those are ideas which snap with all the satisfying pleasure of lego bricks into Los Angeles as a setting. Which means it's up to the film-maker to communicate the idea they are playing with to the audience. Hence, Bright does not include a happy-go-lucky musical number, or a down-and-out Raymond Chandler detective, or Scarlett Johanssen being told to blow producers for parts. It includes a militarised police force and barricades. Because that's what the film is about.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

ruddiger posted:

In my ten years living in LA, I've been privy to at least three live executions on tv following a LAPD car chase/stand off.

They don't need APCs to light some poor fucker up.

Considering most orcs are apparently strong enough to jack a car with their butt muscles I'm guessing police doctrine in the case of civil unrest is something like "do not engage at close quarters, light them up with the 35mm at 60 yards, the city will just have to deal with the potholes"

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008

It's the whole "You're happy to let an Orc go to war to fight to protect your freedoms but you won't let him share in them when he comes back home" dealio. Apparently the military is happy to take orcs (and have since medieval times, WW1, WW2, 'Nam and the present) even though the police have held out until now.

Being allowed to serve in the military but not the police force is something that really did happen historically with black people, so it's not that nonsensical that it would happen with another group subject to discrimination too.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
What a criminal waste of a great premise. Did the world's dullest child come up with this? Magic exists and there's elves and dwarves and orcs but god forbid ANYTHING is different from the real world. Let's just make it a really awkward and tone-deaf "anti" racism buddy cop movie instead. Christ, even the most generic Tolkien ripoffs manage to be more interesting. If they CGI'd some fantasy faces onto some humans in End of Watch it would have been a better movie, and cheaper.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

married but discreet posted:

What a criminal waste of a great premise. Did the world's dullest child come up with this? Magic exists and there's elves and dwarves and orcs but god forbid ANYTHING is different from the real world. Let's just make it a really awkward and tone-deaf "anti" racism buddy cop movie instead. Christ, even the most generic Tolkien ripoffs manage to be more interesting. If they CGI'd some fantasy faces onto some humans in End of Watch it would have been a better movie, and cheaper.

Go watch Lord of the Rings

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
To be fair, I'm not exactly sure the movie ever answered the question, "Okay, but why bother with the Orcs?" Like, I liked the Orc gangster's speech about community and how lovely the police are...but what did the guy being an Orc add?

Anti-Citizen
Oct 24, 2007
As You're Playing Chess, I'm Playing Russian Roulette

porfiria posted:

To be fair, I'm not exactly sure the movie ever answered the question, "Okay, but why bother with the Orcs?" Like, I liked the Orc gangster's speech about community and how lovely the police are...but what did the guy being an Orc add?

It got a bunch of nerdy goobers who never would have watched a mediocre buddy cop/heist film to watch it.

I hate pointing this out too, but I think people not being familiar with cop dramas is why we’re having to do this weird “racial politics in film 101” dance.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Anti-Citizen posted:

It got a bunch of nerdy goobers who never would have watched a mediocre buddy cop/heist film to watch it.

I hate pointing this out too, but I think people not being familiar with cop dramas is why we’re having to do this weird “racial politics in film 101” dance.

I mean yeah, it's appealing to literal and figurative children. I don't mean that in a pejorative way (well maybe I do), and I probably wouldn't have watched it if Joel Edgerton hadn't been wearing makeup, but it's a thin justification.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I take it none of you have played a TRPG, huh?

Anti-Citizen
Oct 24, 2007
As You're Playing Chess, I'm Playing Russian Roulette

PerrineClostermann posted:

I take it none of you have played a TRPG, huh?

Loads, but a role playing games story has different constraints to a films in order to be satisfying.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Then, out of curiosity, how did you feel about The Martian?

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Stuff in this movie that felt TTRPGish to me
+Heroes didn't follow up on leads, largely had no idea what was going on until the end
+Got themselves captured, locked into an impossible situation, forced the DM to bullshit something on the fly to keep the game going
+Bushwacked the villain and left her for dead without waiting for a dramatic confrontation
+Decided a minor debriefing scene with the feds was the moment they really wanted to roleplay their characters and dragged it way the hell out

Yeah what do hack fantasy novel reviewers always say? "I could hear the dice roll!"

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Dec 31, 2017

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

themrguy posted:

Being allowed to serve in the military but not the police force is something that really did happen historically with black people, so it's not that nonsensical that it would happen with another group subject to discrimination too.

Yeah, historically. There were African-American U.S. military regiments as far back as at least 1778 and African-American police officers as far back as 1878 (possibly earlier on both counts, I'm no history scientist) so there was maybe a 100 year gap that ended about 140 years ago.

I'm sure there's possible diegetic explanations for not hiring any orc cops in the last 100 years and it's only a really minor point anyway but it's still a bit weird that Jakoby was the first Orc cop if Orcs have been serving in the military since at least WW1.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Orcs are superhumanly strong. I don't think it's a 1:1 thing with any real life race of people. They're happy to send them off to fight the Viet Cong but maybe you'd be really hesitant to give a badge to someone with the strength to just twist a human's head around 180 degrees that you regard as basically a dangerous animal.

That said, I totally buy the NFL hiring them. It's probably all elf ninjas in the skill positions. :v:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

+Heroes didn't follow up on leads, largely had no idea what was going on until the end
+Got themselves captured, locked into an impossible situation, forced the DM to bullshit something on the fly to keep the game going
+Bushwacked the villain and left her for dead without waiting for a dramatic confrontation
+Decided a minor debriefing scene with the feds was the moment they really wanted to roleplay their characters and dragged it way the hell out

Yeah what do hack fantasy novel reviewers always say? "I could hear the dice roll!"

+Dragged a terrified NPC through all sorts of firefights and battles even though they were on the run for their life because she might end up being useful later

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

The Inferni felt like a group of Runners who blew all their good stuff and rolled super well against SWAT teams and gangbangers but rolled super poorly against the heroes.

As for the first Orc Cop thing. I think that might have just been in LA. We have no idea what things are like elsewhere except from the Fogtooth leader's story, which could have been bullshit. But the way he put it things are far better for an Orc in Florida.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

When was the first orc WWF/E Champion? How the gently caress am I supposed to watch this movie without this critical world building established in a 10 part miniseries beforehand?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

strong bird posted:

When was the first orc WWF/E Champion? How the gently caress am I supposed to watch this movie without this critical world building established in a 10 part miniseries beforehand?

Chyna, same as in this universe

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!
I'm just now hearing some good buzz for this, which is nice because it looked like Shadowrun the Movie and I didn't think there was much hope of that getting to exist and be good at the same time.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008

Arthil posted:

The Inferni felt like a group of Runners who blew all their good stuff and rolled super well against SWAT teams and gangbangers but rolled super poorly against the heroes.

As for the first Orc Cop thing. I think that might have just been in LA. We have no idea what things are like elsewhere except from the Fogtooth leader's story, which could have been bullshit. But the way he put it things are far better for an Orc in Florida.

They explicitly say in the ending speech that he’s the first Orc cop in the country. In Landis’s script there’s a bit about how he’s been mandated by ‘outsiders’ in Washington/Sacramento. As racist as the LAPD is, the implication from the movie/script is that it’s relatively progressive for even having him in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

themrguy posted:

They explicitly say in the ending speech that he’s the first Orc cop in the country. In Landis’s script there’s a bit about how he’s been mandated by ‘outsiders’ in Washington/Sacramento. As racist as the LAPD is, the implication from the movie/script is that it’s relatively progressive for even having him in the first place.

lol you just know there's like dozens of orc RCMP in Canada

• Locked thread