Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

That has got to be absurdly uncomfortable to walk on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

My Lovely Horse posted:

I can dig the effort that went into it and the precision, but all those edges are going to be permanently outlined in dust and crumbs within weeks.

I'm pretty sure that you could poor resin over that and make something both awesome and not a disgusting dirt farm. I'm pretty sure they won't.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

There is no way that isn't some eccentric 70s biologist's house.

e: I'm not saying the house or the build is from the 70s, just that the biologist did--and forever will--live in the 70s.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Those are Zigzagoons evolving into Linoones on that floor and I will not be convinced otherwise.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Leviathan Song posted:

I'm pretty sure that you could poor resin over that and make something both awesome and not a disgusting dirt farm. I'm pretty sure they won't.

Yeah, with some resin making it smooth and cleanable I think the basic puzzle piece look is pretty cool. I'd skip the raised worms or whatever they are but as weird as it is they did it pretty well.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Yeah that floor is def gonna need a thick rear end coat of resin or its gonna look like dogshit in a week.

Also those are totally planarians.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

I was thinking that the guy had to be an Escher fan.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Suspect Bucket posted:

What you want is a Caretaker Barn. http://www.barnpros.com/barn-plans-products.aspx?itemid=1247

BarnPros has other interesting apartment designs on there as well.

This is 110% what I want.

Just haven't decided if I'm staying put long enough to be worth building it.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jan 2, 2018

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Quote is not edit.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Liquid Communism posted:

This is 110% what I want.

Just haven't decided if I'm staying put long enough to be worth building it.

Same. Workshop and garage below, living quarters above. Look out over your small domain and keep it secure from varmints. Never be far from the tractor. 10/22 at the porch door. Maybe even a nursery or hospital pen for sick or young farm animals.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Suspect Bucket posted:

Same. Workshop and garage below, living quarters above. Look out over your small domain and keep it secure from varmints. Never be far from the tractor. 10/22 at the porch door. Maybe even a nursery or hospital pen for sick or young farm animals.

Same, but all for cars and mechanical stuff, no animals, aside from the requisite Shop Dog and/or Cat(s).

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Buff Skeleton posted:

That has got to be absurdly uncomfortable to walk on.

And I thought finding the one random LEGO block at 2am was a nightmare of parenthood.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Man that floor would be an awesome wall or ceiling or door but not a floor, anything but a floor.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
That floor looks pretty dope actually. I'd guess that cleaning it with a vacuum wouldn't be too bad, at least as far as just sucking up the poo poo between the cracks.
Actually using some kind of floor cleaner to clean (vs just vacuuming) would be considerably difficult I'd imagine.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

TheDon01 posted:

Also those are totally planarians.

That's my guess too. The eye spots and head shape are perfect.

Now why anyone would want floor planaria is another question.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Suspect Bucket posted:

I've heard that barn apartments (over actual barns, not workshops/garages) tend to collect dust/dirt/rodents, and are harder to insure because barns have a much greater fire risk than residential building. Also horses and cows are surprisingly noisy at night.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Youth Decay posted:

I've heard that barn apartments (over actual barns, not workshops/garages) tend to collect dust/dirt/rodents, and are harder to insure because barns have a much greater fire risk than residential building. Also horses and cows are surprisingly noisy at night.

You forgot manure stinking up the place.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Youth Decay posted:

Yeah, they're generally used as office space, storage, and a place to crash if you're hanging out waiting for a vet in the middle of the night more than full-time living space.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
The trick about poop is that you have to clean it up every day. And I would not plan on having livestock there constantly, just a nursery/hospital pen. It would be more garage and feed storage. On the dream homestead, I'd be focusing on rabbits, ducks, and sheep, with their own outbuildings.

That's waaaaay off into the future though. I just like reading and learning for now, and volunteering for experience.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Suspect Bucket posted:

The trick about poop is that you have to clean it up every day. And I would not plan on having livestock there constantly, just a nursery/hospital pen. It would be more garage and feed storage. On the dream homestead, I'd be focusing on rabbits, ducks, and sheep, with their own outbuildings.

That's waaaaay off into the future though. I just like reading and learning for now, and volunteering for experience.

Crappy Construction Tales: The trick about poop is that you have to clean it up every day.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
I'm loving tired of roof leaks at my job.

Part of our scope of work is porch roofs - in this specific case, it's a 3" composite roof, styrofoam sandwiched between .024 aluminum. This attaches to the house with a 3" extruded header. Warranty issues with said roofs fall to me in the service department.

The upper side of the header in question has flashing and is under a layer cake of tar tape, caulking, and Dyco 20/20 Seam Seal. Every screw on the drat thing is caulked and Dyco'd. The motherfucker is STILL. LEAKING. About 4 feet in from either end is a significant leak during anything more than a light sprinkle.

I'm reminded of a major issue from last year where a customer, despite their roofer's claims and our claims to the contrary, blamed a heavy leak on our "shoddy" work, when in fact his fascia was loving rotten. I really wish I could have a look at this current customer's fascia to see what it looks like, because I have the funniest feeling it's not the header seam, but the fascia.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

D34THROW posted:

I'm loving tired of roof leaks at my job.

Part of our scope of work is porch roofs - in this specific case, it's a 3" composite roof, styrofoam sandwiched between .024 aluminum. This attaches to the house with a 3" extruded header. Warranty issues with said roofs fall to me in the service department.

The upper side of the header in question has flashing and is under a layer cake of tar tape, caulking, and Dyco 20/20 Seam Seal. Every screw on the drat thing is caulked and Dyco'd. The motherfucker is STILL. LEAKING. About 4 feet in from either end is a significant leak during anything more than a light sprinkle.

I'm reminded of a major issue from last year where a customer, despite their roofer's claims and our claims to the contrary, blamed a heavy leak on our "shoddy" work, when in fact his fascia was loving rotten. I really wish I could have a look at this current customer's fascia to see what it looks like, because I have the funniest feeling it's not the header seam, but the fascia.

Shouldn’t you guys be refusing to do work on rotten poo poo without replacing it since it will undermine anything you do?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I just replaced a flat roof over my garage, and my wood siding is rotten as hell. I have doubts about the bottom flashing as well. I can fill up the roof like a swimming pool with no worries now, though.

and my one drain ended up a little high, oops

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Hmmm.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

That screams malicious/braindead code-compliance.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Blindeye posted:

It's also a good visual indicator that there is a step there, so even people who don't need the railing will be aware of the tripping hazard. Given how uniform the concrete appearance is, I bet plenty of people have tripped.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Blindeye posted:

This is the best and only correct type of code-compliance.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Blindeye posted:

Nah it's just a texture alignment error.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

EoRaptor posted:

It's also a good visual indicator that there is a step there, so even people who don't need the railing will be aware of the tripping hazard. Given how uniform the concrete appearance is, I bet plenty of people have tripped.

Why not just make it a ramp?? Probably would have been cheaper than the "railing".

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

EoRaptor posted:

Yeah it took me a bit to actually see where the step was.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
If it's stupid and it works, it isn't stupid.

The step is now code-compliant and less of a hazard. A good job!

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

cowofwar posted:

Shouldn’t you guys be refusing to do work on rotten poo poo without replacing it since it will undermine anything you do?

I have the funniest feeling installers don't peep back the (usually aluminum in these parts) fascia cover to check the actual lumber. If we did, I'd love to see the CFOs reaction when he found out we have to scrap a $12k job because the fascia is rotten. :allears:

In all seriousness, I think it depends on the installer. We've had a couple of bare-minimum guys and I think the rotten fascia is their shoddy pre-work. Most of our guys (house crews, no subs) will go buy some cedar at Home Depot if the fascia's bad.

I actively refuse roof and window leak repairs but if it's warranty work I can't. :negative:

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Polio Vax Scene posted:

Why not just make it a ramp?? Probably would have been cheaper than the "railing".

Ramps can still be trip hazards, and if it gets cold enough to freeze (the grips in the concrete say it does), a ramp can be way more problematic than a step.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

EoRaptor posted:

Ramps can still be trip hazards, and if it gets cold enough to freeze (the grips in the concrete say it does), a ramp can be way more problematic than a step.

Unexpected gradients will gently caress me up more than a step.

dobbymoodge
Mar 8, 2005

Proteus Jones posted:

Unexpected gradients will gently caress me up more than a step.

Here lies Proteus Jones, dead by accident whilst loving around in Deluxe Paint.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

endlessmonotony posted:

If it's stupid and it works, it isn't stupid.

The step is now code-compliant and less of a hazard. A good job!

Except they mounted the balustrade sideways into the step so it's going to come out the first time someone leans against the 3 foot cheater bar.

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.

I don't even understand how this is a "code" thing when the height is less then your average curb height. I think alot of people probably tripped and fell, and the owner felt they needed to do something before they got sued and this was the quickest, cheapest, (dumbest), fix they could come up with.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Polio Vax Scene posted:

But then you need a much longer rail for the ramp.

News flash: old people and people who have trouble with their walky bits exist. As long as the rail is properly mounted, it's a good thing.

e: Oh yeah a ramp allows for wheeled people :doh:

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

AFAIK, most instances of a single change in elevation (one step) don't require a railing, but maybe this facility serves a disproportionate segment of the population. They certainly seem to have taken sight disabilities fully into account. My dad would appreciate this, but really a ramp does seem pretty doable with room for a very gentle slope, so it's an odd choice.

It's hard to tell from the picture, but I think there are studs welded onto the back of that plate, rather than bolts trough it. If so it is probably epoxy anchored and might well be stronger than the concrete itself. I suspect it's not going anywhere if they did the application correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

glynnenstein posted:

It's hard to tell from the picture, but I think there are studs welded onto the back of that plate, rather than bolts trough it. If so it is probably epoxy anchored and might well be stronger than the concrete itself. I suspect it's not going anywhere if they did the application correctly.
Waiting for the only appropriate followup image where the railing is lying on the ground with a big chunk of concrete stuck to the plate.

e: my workplace has a staircase that is made mainly of light wood except the bottom three steps, which are stone and the exact same colour of the surrounding floor. Someone, at some point, will eat it horrifically.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jan 5, 2018