Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

What if they ask the parolee to produce proof of income? Making $.01 an hour at Jimmy's Flyfishing Shop is going to raise a red flay in this layman's opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things
I feel like the only reasons the work requirements have any teeth is to verify you're getting your money from a legal source. If the state investigated a person employed by an actual business that was paying all the taxes and filling out all the forms, I don't see how they can argue the job isn't work-y enough to qualify. (Presuming no one is lying about what's going on)

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Professor Shark posted:

Yeah I don't know many details, it sounded shifty to me though and I was interested in whether or not it was illegal

I'm sure you can find some illegal scheme that would be facilitated here if you want to speculate. Money laundering, for example, or something related to health insurance or tax fraud, such as the owners writing off the kids' "salaries" to offset their own tax liability. Maybe they have applied for government or other contracts using their kids' status in some way, for example diversity or veterans' status. You can dig any number of holes to rabbit off into if you get creative enough.

Also if there are owners who are not related to the family or otherwise being misled, then that could be illegal. For example, take a company owned by a family trust, and the parents are the trustees with three children as beneficiaries. If the parents hire two of the children and pay them salaries for "no-show" positions, that would definitely be problematic.

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008
Hypothetical: salesperson travels for work. while walking through the airport they falls and break their leg. Is this a Worker's comp claim? Is the (salaried) salesperson on the clock? How about while walking through a non-local city where they have been dispatched to do work?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

lord1234 posted:

Hypothetical: salesperson travels for work. while walking through the airport they falls and break their leg. Is this a Worker's comp claim? Is the (salaried) salesperson on the clock? How about while walking through a non-local city where they have been dispatched to do work?

Comp laws are state-specific but generally speaking any employee injured while in the course and scope of their employment is covered by the WC laws. So yes, this employee who was traveling for work is covered by WC wherever the injury happens.

"Traveling for work" will be the source of argument. If for example he is based in New York and his job consists of traveling throughout the country on sales calls, then if he is dispatched to Los Angeles to visit a client for a sales call he would probably be covered at any point while in the airport. If the purpose of the trip is actually vacation, but he stops by to take a client to lunch in the middle of it, then we start getting into "course and scope" arguments.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

spacetoaster posted:

Aren't politicians given the same kind of jobs by corporations as bribes?

Usually not for a few years (0-5 depending on state) after they leave their government positions, particularly if the corporation actually has to respond to RFPs.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

spacetoaster posted:

I received a salary for being a salesman for my dad's company. That just translated to me traveling for a couple of weekends a year to talk about products and not much else.

Aren't politicians given the same kind of jobs by corporations as bribes?
Influential people are often given positions on the "Board of Trustees" for major corporations, which are usually six-to-seven figure jobs that involve maybe tens of hours of work per year. It's not limited to politicians, but also to other executives (so, the CEO for DuPont might sit on the board of Nestle). They then determine the compensation for the executives of the company, too. It's all very incestuous.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
I'm on a Board of Trustees and I get 3k per year. I don't even think my opinions are worth that.

Enrico Furby
Jun 28, 2003

by Hand Knit
Hi, legal goons! First, thanks for taking the time to help us filthy laypeople.

I have no idea what this is or what it would be for. It was slipped naked into the crack of the door of a building I don't live in a town I don't live in. Can I ignore it until they manage to serve an actual subpoena if there is one? This is a small, conservative town where anything shady the local cops might do is easily believable, it's a nice little police state that I moved out of long years ago. I called and they claimed they had no clue over the phone as well. Annoying. I know my rights vis a vis not talking to the police if I did show up and ask what's going on, but why the hell should I do their job for them? I'm not interested in helping them or somehow incriminating myself in the slightest. But I want to know what you think about the purpose of this, as it seems so out of order that even googling it extensively hasn't given me much, and if I'm okay just ignoring it. This isn't a legal document and no one was served, it wasn't even in the mailbox and no one saw who put it there, just heard footsteps on the porch.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Enrico Furby fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jan 5, 2018

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
It's to frighten the ignorant into cooperating against their will.
I wonder what the State of New's law on sham legal process says.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
I know a subpoena is an enforceable legal document, but how would notifying someone that a subpoena exists be the same as actually serving it to them? Is there any state in which you can say, "there is a subpoena naming you and you have to come down to the courthouse/PD so you can be served" and have it be legally enforceable?

Enrico Furby
Jun 28, 2003

by Hand Knit

joat mon posted:

It's to frighten the ignorant into cooperating against their will.
I wonder what the State of New's law on sham legal process says.

It's a shame I'm destitute because I'd take a lot of pleasure in attempting to sue the PD for doing so (my suspicion as well) because it's full of good ole boys who need a little taste of justice.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Haha, Warrant Round Up time!

Next, you'll learn that you won a new car!

Edit: get a lawyer

Enrico Furby
Jun 28, 2003

by Hand Knit

blarzgh posted:

Haha, Warrant Round Up time!

Next, you'll learn that you won a new car!

Edit: get a lawyer

That thought crossed my mind as well, I've heard enough stories of those kind of honeypots. Is there 1) a way to check if there is a warrant for you and 2) a good resource for finding a lawyer when you're impoverished when you're not already in a courtroom? Also, why are you so certain it's that?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Enrico Furby posted:

Also, why are you so certain it's that?
Can you think of any other reasons that the police would be trying to trick someone into appearing in person?

Enrico Furby
Jun 28, 2003

by Hand Knit

Dead Reckoning posted:

Can you think of any other reasons that the police would be trying to trick someone into appearing in person?

Off the top of my head as, again, a layman:

1) they suspect me or someone they think I know of a crime but cannot obtain a warrant so want me to talk to them and divulge information

Or

2) they actually have a subpoena of some sort and cannot serve it successfully so they're trying to get me in there to do so and maybe try #1 on top of it

Or any other unknowable reason, which is why I'm asking.

The warrant thing might be the most likely option but what I do not understand is that 1) why haven't they mailed a summons or any paperwork anywhere 2) I haven't lived in that city or county in years and any time I've been there since has been brief and unremarkable so I have no clue what a warrant would be issued for or even a subpoena or that matter. So I am truly baffled and especially put off because this PD is full of small town corrupt cokeheads and should never be trusted anyway and I have no idea what they're up to or why.

Enrico Furby fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jan 6, 2018

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Enrico Furby posted:

I called and they claimed they had no clue over the phone as well. Annoying.

Did you call the number on the paper, or look them up online/in the phone book?

It's possible that this is a more sophisticated take on the old "this is the cops, we're going to send the SWAT team after you unless you buy a bunch of iTunes gift cards and read us the numbers on the back" scam.

Enrico Furby
Jun 28, 2003

by Hand Knit

Space Gopher posted:

Did you call the number on the paper, or look them up online/in the phone book?

It's possible that this is a more sophisticated take on the old "this is the cops, we're going to send the SWAT team after you unless you buy a bunch of iTunes gift cards and read us the numbers on the back" scam.

I did. I considered that as well because I know how the collections industry works and it's not beyond some local or other shitbag to fake docs to intimidate/scam. It was indeed the PD number, confirmed by Google, but they were incredibly useless. No record, no nothing, had no idea who I was.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Enrico Furby posted:

That thought crossed my mind as well, I've heard enough stories of those kind of honeypots. Is there 1) a way to check if there is a warrant for you and 2) a good resource for finding a lawyer when you're impoverished when you're not already in a courtroom? Also, why are you so certain it's that?

Most local police departments have a list of active warrants online that you can check.

I'm not sure, I'm just guessing. The number of people who are willing to impersonate the local police (a felony) in order to scam you over a few bucks are very very small.

Police however are allowed to use to deception, and trickeration to accomplish any number of law enforcement goals. It's actually pretty impressive the number of different things they come up with to do warrant roundups.

Also, generally for a subpoena to be effective it has to be personally served on the party being subpoenaed. You only need a subpoena for active court cases, and I doubt a prosecutor who need you to show up and testify in a couple of weeks wants the cops to just drop something off at your door and cross their fingers. Cops would knock on the door and hand it to you. Also, I think you'll remember if you witnessed a crime recently that you needed to testify about.

Go talk to a lawyer.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
It's odd that it would tell you to contact them (which you've already done), not show up in person. And you said this was slipped into a door somewhere you don't live? How was it brought to your attention?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
When you get your phone call from jail, please contact a close personal friend and ask them to update us for you

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

That's not a subpoena. It's even less of a subpoena than this bullshit

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/10/17/us/New-Orleans-Fake-Subpoena.html

I would ignore it, especially since you called and they said they didn't know anything (not legal advice, just what I would do).

If you want to see about suing them you can try talking to a lawyer, but unless a bunch of other people are getting these and the police admit they are sending them out, probably not worth your time.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Well you see, that document appears to be a photocopy, while a legitimate subpoena would have an embossment and three signatures in different pen colors approved by Admiralty law.

Enrico Furby
Jun 28, 2003

by Hand Knit

Discendo Vox posted:

It's odd that it would tell you to contact them (which you've already done), not show up in person. And you said this was slipped into a door somewhere you don't live? How was it brought to your attention?

It was at a friend's house where I'd stayed for 2 weeks in the summer, and that was also the address I gave a different court system when they demanded one even though I told them I didn't have a permanent address. So my friend told me when he got it.

The first time I called the cops, they said it wouldn't even be the correct number so I hung up, checked the photo of the paper my friend sent me, confirmed it was the only contact, called back and told him as much, and he asked my name, then said there was nothing in system and I don't even have a record (I don't) and said I could go to the DAs office on Monday. I was.pretty irritated and said "well you guys contacted me and you have no idea". Either the dude was a great actor or they really just have their heads up their asses (probable). That's why I truly cannot figure out wtf they're up to but it's shady.

I am choosing to just ignore it but it's stressing me out, I've been through a lot and don't need some extra bullshit weighing on me. I don't know how you get resolution on such a bizarre situation though.

Also no way to check warrants online for them and I'm hesitant to call the clerk's office obviously.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Enrico Furby posted:

I'm hesitant to call the clerk's office obviously.

Why?
Make sure you call both the city clerk and the county clerk.

Enrico Furby
Jun 28, 2003

by Hand Knit

joat mon posted:

Why?
Make sure you call both the city clerk and the county clerk.

I'd read that you put yourself at risk of being located by calling from your phone. Granted I called the police station and poo poo so I'm probably being dumb but like I said, I'm pretty freaked out b the whole ordeal.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Enrico Furby posted:

I'd read that you put yourself at risk of being located by calling from your phone. Granted I called the police station and poo poo so I'm probably being dumb but like I said, I'm pretty freaked out b the whole ordeal.

Have you considered calling from a different phone?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Don't you know that all phone calls to the government should be made from pay phones at the side of dusty roads? that way they can't track you!

Enrico Furby
Jun 28, 2003

by Hand Knit

therobit posted:

Have you considered calling from a different phone?

I have but don't have access to one really, or haven't yet.

Enrico Furby
Jun 28, 2003

by Hand Knit
lmao I called the city clerk and said I wanted to inquire about any arrest warrants for an individual, she said "oh you want to talk to the police department?" to which I said "no, I want to check the records" and she straight up ignore me and started to transfer so I hung up. I'm telling you, in a small town like that everyone is pretty much unaccountable to do whatever they want with people.

And I called the county and they claim you have to call the city for that information.

Enrico Furby fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jan 8, 2018

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I wouldn't want to be on record confirming receipt of that thing, personally.

I have my own question regarding incompetent delivery practices:

Occasionally I get packages not addressed to me. It's never fedex or ups or the post office, always random little courier services that can't goddamned read. Normally I notice because I'm not expecting a package, or it's obviously bigger/smaller than anything I AM expecting, but today I was expecting a mystery box from a secret santa so I tore into the box on my porch before realizing it was a misdelivery. After 20 minutes on hold with some random package carrier I finally get a human to tell to come get this poo poo off my porch.

Question being: How much effort am I really responsible for to correct their fuckups?

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

Thank you this made my day. I hope it’s a scam because our government using tactics like this is loving bullshit.

Weebay
Apr 8, 2008

Reality is a question of perspective; the further you get from the past, the more concrete and plausible it seems - but as you approach the present, it inevitably seems incredible.

baquerd posted:

Hypothetical: pedestrian hit on the side of the road in the middle of the evening while wearing a ANSI class 3 safety vest. They were on the road because the sidewalk was not cleared and was icy, despite town ordinances requiring it to be cleared within 24 hours of snow (over 48 hours at time of accident). Town was notified once each day following the snow and took no action. Driver fled the scene but was caught on video stopping and looking back with clear "oh gently caress I hit them" audio prior to speeding off. Driver was found to be intoxicated and was driving for work in a vehicle owned by a billion dollar corporation. Pedestrian broke both hands and lost their right hand, rendering them permanently unable to work at their $400k a year job.

In this hypothetical, does everyone get sued or is the personal injury lawyer too busy giggling?

Who would a PI lawyer sue?

Style of cause would likely read:
Driver
Billion Dollar Corp (also the owners of the vehicle)
City
Whomever they contract to remove their snow
Tavern or wherever the driver was drinking that evening
Bonus defendant: The vest manufacturer

I assume you mention the vest in an attempt to lower contributory negligence on the part of the plaintiff?

:canada:

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Enrico Furby posted:

The warrant thing might be the most likely option but what I do not understand is that 1) why haven't they mailed a summons or any paperwork anywhere 2) I haven't lived in that city or county in years and any time I've been there since has been brief and unremarkable so I have no clue what a warrant would be issued for or even a subpoena or that matter.

Enrico Furby posted:

It was at a friend's house where I'd stayed for 2 weeks in the summer, and that was also the address I gave a different court system when they demanded one even though I told them I didn't have a permanent address. So my friend told me when he got it.

I feel like you’re answering some of your own questions here.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
IANAL so I usually just lurk this thread, but lol Enrico, you 100% have a warrant and they're trying to get you to come in so they can arrest you. If you think real hard I have to imagine you can figure out what it's for, unless it's something you did while blackout drunk or something

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Assuming Nephew murders uncle, but isn’t arrested or tried until after probate, can the nephew use the funds in his defense? That’s just his money at that point, is it not? If he was arrested and tried during probate, how would that affect his access to the money? (This will help solve a stupid argument brought by David Suchet’s Poirot of all things)

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
The trustee or other people who get something from the estate can challenge it. Generally, you can’t get money from an estate if you killed the person. Depending on how clear it is that nephew murdered uncle, might not have to wait until after trial

The issue came up in a pretty terrible story in this thread recently, so there’s more info if you go back a bit

E: starts here https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3266659&perpage=40&pagenumber=680#post477810412

Enrico Furby
Jun 28, 2003

by Hand Knit

Kalman posted:

I feel like you’re answering some of your own questions here.

Eric the Mauve posted:

IANAL so I usually just lurk this thread, but lol Enrico, you 100% have a warrant and they're trying to get you to come in so they can arrest you. If you think real hard I have to imagine you can figure out what it's for, unless it's something you did while blackout drunk or something

Not at all. The other issue is a different county, different city, has been in progress since July (whatever happened to a speedy trial) and is barely anything, a non-violation offense that I'm taking to trial next month instead of taking any plea because it's bs. I've been going once a month with zero issues. That's why I'm clueless, because I don't spend time in the city this is from. Any issue I have is elsewhere.

But w/e, thanks for those who bothered to say something helpful

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
If you have no reason to believe that the police wish to arrest you for crimes, why are you concerned that they could trace your call and locate you?

Enrico Furby posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Dead Reckoning posted:

If you have no reason to believe that the police wish to arrest you for crimes, why are you concerned that they could trace your call and locate you?

I think for people who are not familiar with the legal system, it can easily appear to be a rigged game that isn't worth taking chances with.

If you haven't committed a crime and you aren't worried about hiding anything, what could the harm in giving a statement to police without a lawyer present?