Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010

multijoe posted:

Hot take: the anime made a good call by initially portraying Jiren as an stoic, unreadable character. If they'd come out the gate with 'Jiren is actually insanely nice and good and doesn't even want to be here' it'd have made him much less foreboding in the lead up to the special.

Opinions on jiren's characterization are funny because if you look back to when the first OP with him fighting goku came out everyone went "oh he's probably grey alien superman"

I feel like a lot of disappointment with him (certainly mine at least) came from him not acting like it; you'd think he'd at least intervene to save his teammates once or twice like when he was twenty feet away from the goku/hit tag match

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Kashuno posted:

Jiren torturing Vegeta was weird.

Jiren: You are weak because you are arrogant
Vegeta: I AM ARROGANT BECAUSE gently caress YOU
Jiren: ok bitch you aren't learning.

I loved the Abridged "I AM THE HYPE!" and just like this "I AM ARROGANT CAUSE gently caress YOU!"

Vegita makes the series interesting.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Jiren is a character that suffers a lot because of the pacing of the tournament, because we have gotten a few pieces of characterization from him, it's just that there's huge gaps inbetween. We saw that he was no-nonsense when he blew up Kale but didn't ring her out, he was straight up offended by Hit even existing, and now he's realizing Goku is just an idiot. We had too many times of them focusing on Jiren without doing anything, just to fill in time.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
New special: History of Jiren

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Don't forget Belmod saying Jiren's 'style' is to take his opponent's strongest attack and demoralize them into submission. He did it with Hit, he did it with blob dude, he did it with Kale, he did it with both Goku and Vegeta. The difference is blob dude/Hit were dirty underhanded fighters and he asserted his full and complete dominance over them, whereas Kale was a monster and unable to comprehend, and the U7 bros don't ever get demoralized

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Jiren landed on the U11 version of earth and a yellow sun turned him from skinny to super jacked

he will find kinship with Goku when he realizes he also did the same thing

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Kashuno posted:

Don't forget Belmod saying Jiren's 'style' is to take his opponent's strongest attack and demoralize them into submission. He did it with Hit, he did it with blob dude, he did it with Kale, he did it with both Goku and Vegeta. The difference is blob dude/Hit were dirty underhanded fighters and he asserted his full and complete dominance over them, whereas Kale was a monster and unable to comprehend, and the U7 bros don't ever get demoralized

The only person to ever make Vegeta feel demoralized was Freeza and yeah I don't see that happening here.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Beerus DBFZ Character Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAbX6YSa_jU

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Carlosologist posted:

Jiren landed on the U11 version of earth and a yellow sun turned him from skinny to super jacked

he will find kinship with Goku when he realizes he also did the same thing

-gasp-

Your grandfather's name was also Gohan?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

This is great

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

Elfface posted:

-gasp-

Your grandfather's name was also Gohan?

a battered Goku: "BLARGH, You're letting them kill Gohan!"
Jiren: "What does that mean?! Why did you say that name?! Gohan? WHY DID YOU SAY THAT NAME?!?"

Slightly Absurd fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jan 12, 2018

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Gohan was El Tio all along!!!

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I won't lie, if Jiren is the one who finally gets to do the angry lecture at Zen-Oh for being murderous jackholes who aren't even good at their jobs, that would be pretty sweet.

Bonus points if he beats everybody else into submission and then rings himself out in contempt.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Jiren is actually just Pan in a robot suit. Why she takes delight in beating up grandpa, we’ll never know

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I won't be surprised at all if Jiren just straight up wins and then either wishes everyone back or intimidates Zen-oh into fixing things or something like that.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

multijoe posted:

Hot take: the anime made a good call by initially portraying Jiren as an stoic, unreadable character. If they'd come out the gate with 'Jiren is actually insanely nice and good and doesn't even want to be here' it'd have made him much less foreboding in the lead up to the special.

Also it's been cool seeing aspects of his personality gradually come out as the tournament goes on

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Spiritus Nox posted:

I won't be surprised at all if Jiren just straight up wins and then either wishes everyone back or intimidates Zen-oh into fixing things or something like that.

somehow I don't think Jiren will be able to intimidate the Zenos

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Yeah, I doubt anything can scare Zenos when he can just erase you right on the spot.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Shindragon posted:

Yeah, I doubt anything can scare Zenos when he can just erase you right on the spot.

Speaking of being erased, I can't wait for my dude Frieza to completely no-sell getting HAKAI'd by Toppo, resulting absolute pandemonium in the divine peanut gallery.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

zeno will declare frieza to be the new god of destruction and revive him on the spot

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Kashuno posted:

Jiren: You are weak because you are arrogant
Vegeta: I AM ARROGANT BECAUSE gently caress YOU

prince_of_all_saiyans.txt

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Jiren is from the GT universe, he's Goku XIVth

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Jiren wanting to demoralize his enemies with a show of absolute power makes sense, because that way he is causing them less injury, and any psychological damage to someone he "actually has to fight" is probably more along the lines of justice than cruelty. I'm hoping he breaks Frieza's leg mid-ohoho.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I've been expecting Freeza to end this arc with some sort of a big win that sets him up as a newly-dangerous enemy (or at least frenemy) for a while to come, but I will say that having his plans all fall apart when somebody just utterly clowns on him would also be satisfying.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I personally would love a "Freeza becomes super powerful again, only to gently caress it all up" switch that lasts maybe 2 episodes.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

If we're talking Frieza getting dicked, the best would be Dsypo rudely not letting take a turn to transform and beating him out of his magical girl powerup scene

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Nessus posted:

Jiren wanting to demoralize his enemies with a show of absolute power makes sense, because that way he is causing them less injury, and any psychological damage to someone he "actually has to fight" is probably more along the lines of justice than cruelty. I'm hoping he breaks Frieza's leg mid-ohoho.

Does Frieza even have bones

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

multijoe posted:

If we're talking Frieza getting dicked, the best would be Dsypo rudely not letting take a turn to transform and beating him out of his magical girl powerup scene

Only if Toppo chastises him for it, calling back to 17 interrupting the Kamikaze Fireballs.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Carlosologist posted:

Jiren is actually just Pan in a robot suit. Why she takes delight in beating up grandpa, we’ll never know

Saiyans like fighting they don't need reasons. Goten certainly joyfully got handed a beat down.

Music still good I'm glad they're switching it up a bit with the last few.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

pik_d posted:

I mean I think SOMETHING was going snap crackle pop here and there.

Minion of Freya
Jan 2, 2017
The top of the pillar looks like a fighting ring. When U7 wins, I'm betting the clock runs out because Goku doesn't ever get a clean win, the Zenos will decide they want a fight between the survivor to determine who was the strongest out of all of them, and the winner gets the wish.

Goku Vs. Vegeta round 3 once they're done playing ping pong with Freeza's newest form.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Rand Brittain posted:

I won't lie, if Jiren is the one who finally gets to do the angry lecture at Zen-Oh for being murderous jackholes who aren't even good at their jobs, that would be pretty sweet.

Bonus points if he beats everybody else into submission and then rings himself out in contempt.

i dont like being a theory guy bc honestly its just too hard to call but thats the feeling ive got esp w/r/t his "something beyond power". using the manga as a companion piece we can have a pretty good idea about his morality which is pretty much incredibly unique in the db series, jiren is the one who deserves to beat u7 and tell zeno and co off for being loving monsters

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

pik_d posted:

On the outside, I think

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

rip cooler

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Raserys posted:

Jiren is from the GT universe, he's Goku XIVth

Actually he's Super Saiyan 10 Goku

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
He's just Superman if Superman were an alien.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Justin_Brett posted:

He's just Superman if Superman were an alien.

:thunk:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
looks like Vegeta is really in for the long haul. New form while fighting Jiren AND surpassing a GoD (Toppo) in 126?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i'm excited to watch Vegeta power up and ring out jiren tomorrow, sealing universe 7's victory as toppo and dyspo ring themselves out after seeing how hopeless they are against the Saiyan Prince