Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

It also screams "this thing needs power, the power line runs up from the socket, place above socket" and put no more thought in than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
I was at the movies this week and used the bathroom. The faucet and the soap were both motion activated, but the water was under-sensitive and the soap was over-sensitive, so each time I tried to rinse off my hands, it just kept squirting more soap on them, and when I'd finally get them rinsed, after the water shut off it would shoot soap on me again while I was moving my hands away.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Jaded Burnout posted:

It also screams "this thing needs power, the power line runs up from the socket, place above socket" and put no more thought in than that.

Those things are battery operated

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

FCKGW posted:

Those things are battery operated

Oh. Well gently caress that guy.

Leocadia
Dec 26, 2011

Jaded Burnout posted:

Oh. Well gently caress that guy.

We just finished building a new wing of our hospital and I can tell you the person who installed this has absolutely no idea why this is wrong.

Down five levels of sub-contractors someone hired a group of unqualified, minimum wage, labour hir numpties to come in after everything else is built and fitted out and told them to intall when there was no-one onsite to supervise. That dispenser is there because that's what the plans specify and they don't get paid otherwise.

Of course, out of 400 battery operated dispensers only a quarter were in the location marked on the plans, had batteries included, and actually stayed attached to the wall for a full day, so maybe it's not the best method.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Yeah I’m on the other side of building a hospital and it’s just as challenging getting the hospital staff to reach consensus as to where these go and move half of the items that you place according to plans anyway.

Leocadia
Dec 26, 2011
Ohy yeah, it's a mess on both sides. We put patients in rooms three months ago, and the managers are now asking us to relocate joinery.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
The Russians used an elbow-pump.

Leocadia
Dec 26, 2011

~Coxy posted:

The Russians used an elbow-pump.

We have those in our theatre complex, but an enthusiastic elbow will take them right off the wall, usually taking the vinyl with them. Everything in the complex has to be super reinforced to withstand doctor tantrums.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Leocadia posted:

Ohy yeah, it's a mess on both sides. We put patients in rooms three months ago, and the managers are now asking us to relocate joinery.

What part of the world are you in? I think you’re talking about Casework or Cabinetry but we don’t call anything joinery in Colorado.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Not a failure, until the paint breaks,

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Lime Tonics posted:

Not a failure, until the paint breaks,

It's probably mostly air above a couple inches of water, since that amount of water would weight nearer a few hundred pounds if that bottom bulge is the size of a basketball. :spergin:

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

oh my lord

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The crime here is that no one filmed them popping it.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

MrYenko posted:

Oh, they tried. Unfortunately it was full of monsters, not water. The occupants of that house were never seen again.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

MrYenko posted:

It’s the “pop the bubble in the tire” thing all over again.

Leocadia
Dec 26, 2011

StormDrain posted:

What part of the world are you in? I think you’re talking about Casework or Cabinetry but we don’t call anything joinery in Colorado.

Australia, it's usually cabinetry and built-ins.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Facebook Aunt posted:

Oh, they tried. Unfortunately it was full of monsters, not water. The occupants of that house were never seen again.

I'd heard it was spiders. All that was found of the people living in that house were desiccated corpses wrapped in spider-silk.

Also, the windows were broken and it looks like a mass exodus of millions of spiders headed in the direction of your house.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I was at the movies this week and used the bathroom. The faucet and the soap were both motion activated, but the water was under-sensitive and the soap was over-sensitive, so each time I tried to rinse off my hands, it just kept squirting more soap on them, and when I'd finally get them rinsed, after the water shut off it would shoot soap on me again while I was moving my hands away.

how did you escape.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

He didn't. He's phone posting with his other hand. Send help.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

PuddingKnight posted:

how did you escape.

They didn't. Their partner is holding the phone while they tonguepost. They are also completely destitute since the theatre staff kept making them buy tickets...

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
My local shopping centre has recently remodeled their bathrooms. The soap now comes from motion-activated dispensers but they have no visual indication of activation, and there's some delay before the soap falls out. So of course it misses your frantically-waving hand and plops into the sink.

In addition, the motion-activated taps are set uncomfortably hot.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
My buddy has a motion-activated garbage bin that presents its fetid contents if you so much as breathe in its general direction.

The Future!

Farmdizzle
May 26, 2009

Hagel satan
Grimey Drawer

FilthyImp posted:

My buddy has a motion-activated garbage bin that presents its fetid contents if you so much as breathe in its general direction.

The Future!

A friend of mine bought one and had to get rid of it because it took her dog about 5 seconds to figure out how to make the can magically reveal all of its sweet, sweet garbage.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

PuddingKnight posted:

how did you escape.
It's gotta run out of soap eventually.

My office has no warm water in the bathrooms. It sucks.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

FilthyImp posted:

This made me laugh so much at the robot bin presenting its garbo like a happy dog with a dead rat or a child with a lovely painting.

Perhaps someone can explain, what's the point of motion-activated toilet flushes if the locks on the stall door are still manual? You don't get any hygiene benefit, so is it marketing? Are they easier to maintain or harder to break? Also whoever thought putting fully motion sensitive controls in my gym's shower can gently caress right off.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Jaded Burnout posted:

This made me laugh so much at the robot bin presenting its garbo like a happy dog with a dead rat or a child with a lovely painting.

Perhaps someone can explain, what's the point of motion-activated toilet flushes if the locks on the stall door are still manual? You don't get any hygiene benefit, so is it marketing? Are they easier to maintain or harder to break? Also whoever thought putting fully motion sensitive controls in my gym's shower can gently caress right off.

Do you have to motion to the toilet to get it to flush at all, or is it one of the ones that sense you moving away and that triggers the flush? The latter is a way of dealing with people who wont flush the toilet after using it.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

there wolf posted:

Do you have to motion to the toilet to get it to flush at all, or is it one of the ones that sense you moving away and that triggers the flush? The latter is a way of dealing with people who wont flush the toilet after using it.

You have to gesture in front of it because it's off to the side like this, labelled as "no touch" flush.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/adharves/status/952842135039963136

Jakarta's stock market collapsed.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
They were anxious to get some starbucks.
Stocks hit the floor that day.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

That collapse is awfully reminiscent of the Hyatt Regency disaster.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

KillHour posted:

He didn't. He's phone posting with his other hand. Send help.

plz

plymouth meeting amc near theater 6

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

tetrapyloctomy posted:

plz

plymouth meeting amc near theater 6
Trick somone into covering the soap dispenser, rinse your hands, run. It's their problem now.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

glynnenstein posted:

That collapse is awfully reminiscent of the Hyatt Regency disaster.

Yeah, I was thinking the same. That was caused by the engineer signing off on substandard connectors then, wasn't it?

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Proteus Jones posted:

Yeah, I was thinking the same. That was caused by the engineer signing off on substandard connectors then, wasn't it?

They changed the design in the field from threaded rods with nuts that passed the loads straight through the hanger to an offset welded connection that put all the load onto the welds which failed.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Proteus Jones posted:

Not quite: they changed the design of the supports without understanding that the new design put a lot more stress on certain parts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnvGwFegbC8

It's case study in how what looks like a trivial change can actually cause huge issues if you don;t understand it fully.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Proteus Jones posted:

The beams the rods that held the thing up were attached to were installed the wrong way around.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

spog posted:

Not quite: they changed the design of the supports without understanding that the new design put a lot more stress on certain parts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnvGwFegbC8

It's case study in how what looks like a trivial change can actually cause huge issues if you don;t understand it fully.

You get this case taught about once a year while getting an engineering degree. Really makes you wary of ever signing anything if you get you PE license.

The Citigroup Center crisis is another one that gets mentioned as a close call.

This is another case that comes up a lot where some riggers modified a engineered crane lifting rig without get engineering approval and killed a few people. The bolts holding the rig together were also faulty or they might have gotten away with it.

-Zydeco- fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jan 15, 2018

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Synthbuttrange posted:

Jakarta's stock market collapsed.

72 injured, no fatalities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
The Hyatt Regency collapse happened because, as stated, the design changed slightly. The cross beam was only meant to hold the weight of one walk way, but held two. The load for both was supposed to be bared (borne?) on the threaded rods.

Yeah :smug: I saw that episode of Engineering disasters.