Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I am able to read a story within the context of the time it was written in as well as how it compares to modern sensibilities and my own opinions and belief systems. I call it critical thinking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Canonization is not permanent. Literature reflects the values of a society, not defines them. A text becoming repulsive as society advances is not a bad thing. To think we must pardon a work for its offenses due to time is to render the text inorganic. You cannot shut off a reader's subjectivity for the sake of history.

I feel like there's a huge middle ground that both sides of the debate miss. Do the Bible / famous author A's racist works / famous author B's sexist works have problematic readings in the modern day? Yep, you betcha. Are they still worth reading both as an insight into what the great works of their respective eras had to say about these issues, as well as on what merits they may otherwise possess? Absolutely.

Birth of a Nation or Leni Riefenstahl hold important places in film history. Watching them doesn't mean you are a white supremacist and recognizing them as powerful pieces of work is a world apart from endorsing the content of either.

thatdarnedbob
Jan 1, 2006
why must this exist?
Looking for recommendations for:

Thoughtful rural memoirs, or oral histories. Please no Vance.

An English translation of the Qur'an. I'm considering at M. A. S. Abdel Haleem's right now.

A spy novel, but not set in the Cold War. Bonus points for non-white or non-male authors.

Any given book you think I or others should read.

Phyzzle posted:

I was looking for sci-fi/spec-fic about people living at different scales. Ringworld is an example, but even better was Jorge Luis Borges’ Library of Babel, a story about living in a building containing every possible 400 page book that can be made from alphabetical characters. Another example would be Surface Tension by James Blish, a story about microscopic aquatic humanoids having to invent ships that can carry them from one puddle to another.

I recall another story about European explorers finding the Americas to be uninhabited in the West, only later to discover the inhabited version to the East of Asia. It turned out that the same continents kept repeating forever in all four directions.

I thought that Riverworld looked interesting. It’s a series of books about every person ever born waking up next to a never-ending river. But it seems to be about the narrator encountering characters like Joan of Arc and Mark Twain, and that sounds a bit hokey, but maybe someone might recommend that anyways.

Raft by Stephen Baxter was fun but I read it a long time ago. The people there wound up in a universe where the force of gravity is a billion times stronger than ours. Matter by Iain Banks heavily involves an inhabited superstructure with some fun twists. Riverworld was also a great read for me back in the day, I read the series until it started getting substantially worse. All these recs are basically scifi-adventure, with Raft having the most sci.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

regulargonzalez posted:

I feel like there's a huge middle ground that both sides of the debate miss. Do the Bible / famous author A's racist works / famous author B's sexist works have problematic readings in the modern day? Yep, you betcha. Are they still worth reading both as an insight into what the great works of their respective eras had to say about these issues, as well as on what merits they may otherwise possess? Absolutely.

I feel like there's a huge middle ground that both sides of the debate miss. Reading is an activity that can be performed for pleasure rather than in some sort of attempt to gain insight into the perspectives of past eras. In reading for pleasure, it makes little sense to read works which will piss you off.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

ulmont posted:

I feel like there's a huge middle ground that both sides of the debate miss. Reading is an activity that can be performed for pleasure rather than in some sort of attempt to gain insight into the perspectives of past eras. In reading for pleasure, it makes little sense to read works which will piss you off.

Some people do both at various times! Nothing but sugar pleases the palate but not the figure.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

chernobyl kinsman posted:

I'm not talking about the canon, which isn't an idea which I have particular use for. I'm saying that a work's repulsiveness (or attractiveness) to specific modern sensibilities ought not to be conflated with its value or merit as a work. To do so is to self-impose crushing cultural and intellectual limitations and is just an inverted form of Victorian-style Puritanism

I think we have to be sensitive to the fact different readers would have different strengths of emotional reaction.

I could forgive the implicit racism of a Huck Finn or Heart of Darkness because I can contextualize the era it was written in. However, I do not think it would be puritanical for a person of color to decide those elements are too much to overcome

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
But the racism in Huck Finn was used by Twain to show how lovely racism is, not condoning it.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

regulargonzalez posted:

yeah this is more or less exactly what I'm trying to say

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Franchescanado posted:

But the racism in Huck Finn was used by Twain to show how lovely racism is, not condoning it.

For how progressive Twain tried to be, Jim is still a passive dim-witted manchild without agency who requires white figures to empower him

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Junkie Disease posted:

So he can only be great if his writing is better not the content or his impact

Being a good writer is based on writing well.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I think we have to be sensitive to the fact different readers would have different strengths of emotional reaction.

I could forgive the implicit racism of a Huck Finn or Heart of Darkness because I can contextualize the era it was written in. However, I do not think it would be puritanical for a person of color to decide those elements are too much to overcome

yeah that's fair enough, but this started because one guy came in and said "I hear this book isn't woke, is it still ok to read it" which is not the same thing. and at any rate you're still left with the question of how far that sentiment ought to go, as with my song of Roland example

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Also is the scifi thread really talking about Lyndon Johnson?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Mr. Squishy posted:

Also is the scifi thread really talking about Lyndon Johnson?

Yeah

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

chernobyl kinsman posted:

yeah that's fair enough, but this started because one guy came in and said "I hear this book isn't woke, is it still ok to read it" which is not the same thing. and at any rate you're still left with the question of how far that sentiment ought to go, as with my song of Roland example

I, for one, would not recommend the song of Roland to my Muslim students

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
That is because you are weak.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

That is because you are weak.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I prefer to say I have the humility to let the greats troll and to cheer from the sideline

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

thatdarnedbob posted:

Looking for recommendations for:

Thoughtful rural memoirs, or oral histories. Please no Vance.

Maybe Rural Rides by William Cobbet, although I don't know if it's exactly a 'memoir'

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I, for one, would not recommend the song of Roland to my Muslim students

The song of roland says that muslims are treacherous pagans who worship Apollo or something, and to be perfectly honest that makes them sound cool

thatdarnedbob
Jan 1, 2006
why must this exist?

A human heart posted:

Maybe Rural Rides by William Cobbet, although I don't know if it's exactly a 'memoir'

It looks like a people-focused travelogue by someone who cares and knows their poo poo, which fits my urge really well. Thanks for the rec!

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Oh it's good and you should read it, I just wasn't sure what kind of memoir you were looking for specifically.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

A human heart posted:

The song of roland says that muslims are treacherous pagans who worship Apollo or something, and to be perfectly honest that makes them sound cool

You're thinking of Apollyon, the angel of the abyss.

Spam Musubi
Jan 17, 2018

Cheap, Affordable, and Tasty!
Wrap me in rice like you would with your mother.
Is it worth it to check out Ready Player One before the movie comes out? I’m seeing a lot of 5/5 ratings but not sure if It’s worth my $10.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
No.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

AutisticAwl posted:

Is it worth it to check out Ready Player One before the movie comes out? I’m seeing a lot of 5/5 ratings but not sure if It’s worth my $10.

look at every single person who gives it a 5/5

look at how loving stupid and worthless they are

realize you will be joining a herd of human dredge going through life in stained t-shirts with batman logos on them and laughing at kevin smith movies

do you want to be that person

in summary

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

AutisticAwl posted:

The forum view of it is pretty universally negative unless you're really into 1980s video game nostalgia.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The forum view of it is pretty universally negative

and you should see the some of the poo poo these people read

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
a lot about LBJ, apparently

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
Any recommendations for non-fiction about neanderthal life?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Biographies only

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.

Selachian posted:

If you can set a few months aside, Robert Caro's multi-volume LBJ bio is the definitive one.

Daaaaaayumn, that's 3,522 pages spread over 4 books. I just might pick up the first one (it's only a measly 960 pages, after all) and stick my toe in LBJ's pool. Thanks for the recommendation.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!

artsy fartsy posted:

Any recommendations for non-fiction about neanderthal life?

Fire and Fury just came out, pretty controversial though.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Time Cowboy posted:

Fire and Fury just came out, pretty controversial though.

Okay, that's pretty good.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

USMC_Karl posted:

Daaaaaayumn, that's 3,522 pages spread over 4 books. I just might pick up the first one (it's only a measly 960 pages, after all) and stick my toe in LBJ's pool. Thanks for the recommendation.

LRB has a long rear end review of one of the volumes if you want to get a feel of it: https://www.lrb.co.uk/v34/n13/david-runciman/what-if-hed-made-it-earlier

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Hey folks! This may be vague, but I'm looking for a couple of different types of books that I might want to sink myself into for a while. I really, really like whodunnit /mystery type things that have a "reveal" in them that you can look back at and go "ohhhhhhhhhh". I liked Blood Red Turns Dollar Green a lot. I'm not exactly looking specifically for horror/murder or whatnot, but any type of plot-twisty type thing would work well.

I'm also looking for books about pop culture, particularly TV (if there's a genuinely good book about The Simpsons, video games, or other general nerdy type things, I'd probably like it. I just picked up Sepinwall's "The Revolution Was Televised", so maybe more things like that?

I also liked ASOIAF but more for the political machinations instead of the tits and dragons.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Capsaicin posted:

Hey folks! This may be vague, but I'm looking for a couple of different types of books that I might want to sink myself into for a while. I really, really like whodunnit /mystery type things that have a "reveal" in them that you can look back at and go "ohhhhhhhhhh". I liked Blood Red Turns Dollar Green a lot. I'm not exactly looking specifically for horror/murder or whatnot, but any type of plot-twisty type thing would work well.

The Man Who Was Thursday -Chesterton
The New York Trilogy -Auster
The Little Sleep -Tremblay
My Name Is Red -Pamuk
Inherent Vice - Pynchon

Not a mystery, but Mother Night by Vonnegut is full of twists and turns.

Capsaicin posted:

I'm also looking for books about pop culture, particularly TV (if there's a genuinely good book about The Simpsons, video games, or other general nerdy type things, I'd probably like it. I just picked up Sepinwall's "The Revolution Was Televised", so maybe more things like that?

Slimed! An Oral History of Nickelodeon
I Want My MTV! An oral history of MTV
Live From New York! An oral history of SNL

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Capsaicin posted:

I also liked ASOIAF but more for the political machinations instead of the tits and dragons.

CJ Cherryh's Foreigner series goes whole-hog on the political machinations, as does Cyteen, if you don't mind some sci-fi in your politics.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Franchescanado posted:

Not a mystery, but Mother Night by Vonnegut is full of twists and turns.

Any time I see this posted anywhere I have to jump in and mention that it’s one of my favorite things.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

For books with twists, I'd throw in Matt Ruff's Set This House in Order, N. K. Jemisin's The Fifth Season, Agatha Christie's The Murder of Roger Ackroyd, and Dennis Lehane's Shutter Island. And if you don't mind kid/YA lit, Ellen Raskin has some pretty drat clever books, including The Westing Game and The Mysterious Disappearance of Leon -- I Mean Noel.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

AutisticAwl posted:

Check this out instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Mother Night is really important to have on hand as a physical copy, it's like Narcan for when your friends OD on /pol.