Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Now I'm using the garage a bit more, it's become plainly clear that i can't just keep leaving my tools artfully arranged on the floor. I also have the 'problem' that I will need to re-roof the whole thing at some point because it leaks in the front corner (for now, I can just ensure nothing's left over there).

How should I store my power tools? They're all annoying sizes and shapes! I've got the general gist for hand tools and consumables with pegboards and bins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
Everyone has their own ideas. For me I have a few brackets made for my cordless drill/impact driver to mount on the wall. Everything else, I found a cheap scratch and dent cabinet at my big box store, made a cleat, and put it on the wall. I put them in there, up off the floor. It keeps most of the dust and such from working out there out, and shelves in it make for nice organization.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I just bodge together brackets from scrap wood and screws, and put my tools on the wall. It's maybe a bit chaotic, but it works well.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Not sure if it's the best thread for this, but - are there any options for a reliable but affordable voltmeter-only device? I need literally no functions other than checking a battery in the 3-5v range. I'd normally just throw a HF freebie at it, but I want one that will actually be accurate more often / will actually throw a low battery alert when its own battery is low and the meter isn't accurate.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i've been storing my power tools in a two drawer file cabinet.

not ideal but works for now and i already had the cabinet

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I have shelves that I just throw all my tools on because all of the wall space in my garage is occupied already and the majority of the floor space, too.

It kinda sucks, but it works well enough to get by until I can figure out (and afford) something better.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Mine are in a big disorganised pile. I need to reorganize the garage and free up wall space to make a tool wall.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark
Mine are currently riding around in the truck toolbox. I really need to build some proper shelf storage like was posted here.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I have one of those big shelving units ( https://www.costco.com/Alera-4-Shelf-Wire-Rack-48%22-x-24%22-x-72%22-NSF.product.11316751.html ) that house all my power tools. I don't have a ton (couple circular saws, reciprocating, drills, etc but no big woodworking saws or anything) so only one shelf is used. What I want to do it just get a massive toolbox and put them there, which will consolidate my smaller, shittier boxes and free up more shelf space.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Based on this discussion I started making a tool wall. I have no sheet goods other than some MDF windowsill blanks left over by the builder, so I based it on one of those, various chunks of plywood scrap and scrap broom handle. I need to buy some drainpipe to make holsters for drills etc.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Anyone want to recommend a dust mask with integrated goggles? I get lazy about using my respirator, which isn't doing my lungs any favors. Part of the problem is that it's a pain to put on / take off and it fogs my goggles pretty badly. I figure if it's attached to the goggles, then a) I won't be able to not wear it, and b) hopefully it'll fog less.

Would something like this be reasonable for carpentry/miscellaneous house jobs?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Anyone want to recommend a dust mask with integrated goggles? I get lazy about using my respirator, which isn't doing my lungs any favors. Part of the problem is that it's a pain to put on / take off and it fogs my goggles pretty badly. I figure if it's attached to the goggles, then a) I won't be able to not wear it, and b) hopefully it'll fog less.

Would something like this be reasonable for carpentry/miscellaneous house jobs?

So long as you don't mind the weight, heat, and sounding like Darth, I'm sure it's fine.

Just get a good set of glasses and a 3M lopro mask. Mine doesn't fog up my glasses.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Larrymer posted:

I have one of those big shelving units ( https://www.costco.com/Alera-4-Shelf-Wire-Rack-48%22-x-24%22-x-72%22-NSF.product.11316751.html ) that house all my power tools. I don't have a ton (couple circular saws, reciprocating, drills, etc but no big woodworking saws or anything) so only one shelf is used. What I want to do it just get a massive toolbox and put them there, which will consolidate my smaller, shittier boxes and free up more shelf space.

I’ve got one of these for my bagged tools. Put it on wheels and ran some rope through 3 of sides so my stuff doesn’t fall out the back.

WashinMyGoat
Jan 15, 2002

Would something like this be reasonable for carpentry/miscellaneous house

That respirator is overkill for standard home use. What are you using now?

I agree with sharkytm. Look into upgrading your goggles/glasses and making sure your current respirator fits properly.

Also, if you are only using it for particulates, a disposable dust masks with a valve or “button” really help by venting your exhalation out the front.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Okay, thanks y'all. I've ordered a replacement half-mask; it's possible the one I have is the wrong size or just worn out or something.

It was my understanding that the disposable masks basically weren't worth using? I thought they didn't block PM2.5 particulates.

WashinMyGoat
Jan 15, 2002

Okay, thanks y'all. I've ordered a replacement half-mask; it's possible the one I have is the wrong size or just worn out or something.

It was my understanding that the disposable masks basically weren't worth using? I thought they didn't block PM2.5 particulates.

Is the US at least, as long as it’s NIOSH approved and N95 rated(which most non-grocery store masks will be) you will be good to go.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
If you're using a canister mask, it really shouldn't be fogging up your eyepro, unless the mask just makes you overall more sweaty? I fog up glasses all the time with my sweaty face and don't notice any real difference with a mask.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Disposable masks aren't worth it IMHO. The one I use is a 3M 7503 with P100 cartridges. They even make them with activated carbon "nuisance level" organic vapor reduction cartridges. That covers 95% of my needs. If I'm spraying paint or using nasty solvents, I'll switch to a bigger cartridge on a larger respirator. The 7503 fits under my welding helmets nicely, too.

I use the 2097 cartridge, but the 2297 is newer and slightly better.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Jan 3, 2018

Koryk
Jun 5, 2007
Anyone know what the difference is between these two DeWalt table saws?

https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DWE7491RS-10-Inch-Jobsite-Capacity/dp/B00F2CGXGG/

https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DWE7499GD-10-Inch-Jobsite-Rolling/dp/B00KS6FEDE/

I'm assuming the $800 is just a product refresh with the guard detection features or am I missing something?

If I can get the second one for $550 new-in-box on Craiglist is that a no brainer or just eh?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i think most of the price detection is the guard detection

if you're looking for a cheaper option hitachi sells a nice table saw with stand for less and it has a similar rack and pinion fence like the DW does, as well as a soft start motor.

imo hold out for something around the 300 dollar mark...unfortunately you probably missed out on the best deals for the next few months since xmas is over.

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

some sort of irredeemable trash person
So, long story short, an excuse for me to buy myself a welding rig presented itself (our beater car was dragged out of a sticky situation, by a 4x4, a bit too eagerly and had some mounts around the exhaust muffler damaged)

Driving back from work the same day I bought the biltema (dyi scandigoons will, or should, know this shop by the moniker, 'the blue church') low/midrange model 140 amp MIG welder, which has the option of adding gas to it later. Many of the parts definitely has a chinisium feel to them and it wouldn't last 10 minutes in a proper job site setting, but for my shop it will do just fine.
http://www.biltema.dk/da/Vaerktoj/Svejser-og-lodning/Svejser/Svejser-Mig-140-2000022913/

This is the second line I put down while fiddling with the settings, using some old scrap metal lying around. Not tea bag!

There is just something awesome about molten steel and the fusion that happens when the arc is just right :hellyeah:

While I'm certainly still a complete noob at this, I don't ever foresee me putting gas unto the system. Too much trouble for the very simple repairs and joins I will do.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Koryk posted:

Anyone know what the difference is between these two DeWalt table saws?

https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DWE7491RS-10-Inch-Jobsite-Capacity/dp/B00F2CGXGG/

https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DWE7499GD-10-Inch-Jobsite-Rolling/dp/B00KS6FEDE/

I'm assuming the $800 is just a product refresh with the guard detection features or am I missing something?

If I can get the second one for $550 new-in-box on Craiglist is that a no brainer or just eh?

They look identical to me. That guard detection feature is not a feature. If you really want this saw, offer the CL person 450 and tell them you can get it new 569 for delivered.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
I have a random $50 Home Depot gift card, what should I buy?

I'm set on all of the basics and most of the next level (as shorthand, I have four different regularly-used hammers, each with a different purpose), and do general "keeping the house from falling down" with the occasional large building/remodeling project.

What random/cool thing do I want to buy that I'm not going to buy in the course of regular life? My gut says "one of those wrecking bars that look like a fireman joined the SEALs" but I'm sure there's better ideas floating around out there.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
If you do any woodworking, get the the Bessey bar clamp set. Clamps are like an extra pair of hands; you can use them to temporarily support/hold things while you work on them, in addition to the usual "hold these things together while the glue dries" applications.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
find a few things you want and wait till they're on sale or clearance

scope out toolguyd.com or garagejournal hot deals forum till something good pops up

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010
Crosspost from the woodworking thread:

Anyone have or use one a cordless air nailer? I'm looking at https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p....1000775409.html or https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p....1000828866.html

I haven't read the reviews, but will, be but was wondering if anyone has some first hand experience? Won't be doing anything heavy duty with it, the first task I will be using it for is securing cock beading to some drawers. I like the idea of not having to wait for a compressor to fill it, especially since I'll only be doing a couple nails at a time.

coathat
May 21, 2007

I’ve got the ryobi one and it’s great! I’ve only had trouble with it in really cold weather outdoors.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
those links didnt work for me but i have the ryobi P320 finish nailer and it's pretty good

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Meow Meow Meow posted:

Anyone have or use one a cordless air nailer? I'm looking at

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.one-18v-airstrike-brad-nailer-kit.1000775409.html
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.hyperdrive-18-volt-18-gauge-2-18-inch-brushless-brad-nailer.1000828866.html

I haven't read the reviews, but will, be but was wondering if anyone has some first hand experience? Won't be doing anything heavy duty with it, the first task I will be using it for is securing cock beading to some drawers. I like the idea of not having to wait for a compressor to fill it, especially since I'll only be doing a couple nails at a time.

I think I fixed your links in the quote above. I've heard really good things about the Ryobi air nailers. Ridgid is made by the same company so I'm guessing the insides are fairly similar.

BeastOfExmoor fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 13, 2018

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Meow Meow Meow posted:

Anyone have or use one a cordless air nailer? I'm looking at https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p....1000775409.html or https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p....1000828866.html

the first task I will be using it for is securing cock beading to some drawers.

Since no one else is appreciating the low hanging fruit, I feel it's my obligation to recommend you get in touch with javid in the woodworking thread who is working up a full fatalog of fine fetish furnishings for frankly freaky folk

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

Meow Meow Meow posted:

I have it. It’s great and seems to get great reviews.

I haven’t used it too heavily but I redid a china cabinet with it. I baught the nailer for the trim and the wood paneling but ended up nailing in all the shelving too because it was too easy. You can put in a dozen nails in the time it takes to predrill and do one screw.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b7ORqBtHVM

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I've debated buying a ratcheting 6 point wrench set. Then I started wondering if I should go with a flexible/pivoting box end or just traditional straight wrench. I've had a few moments working on my vehicle that a ratcheting wrench would have been infinitely more useful (tight spots) but then where a straight wrench wouldn't have fit on, and a ratchet wouldn't have enough room above.

I already have traditional wrenches but I figure if I'm going with a ratcheting set, I may as well go with a pivoting head also for those tight spots right?

Pros/cons? I realize Tekton isn't the gold standard of tools but I also can't really justify spending $500 on wrenches.

https://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-WRN57...ting+wrench+set

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The only time flex heads are worse are if the flex action itself is too loose and is causing things to flop around. Otherwise they're equal or better in pretty much every situation.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
You might take a look at gearwrench for a similar product at a lower price.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

BraveUlysses posted:

You might take a look at gearwrench for a similar product at a lower price.

I have multiple sets (one straight and one in x-beam) and they've been ok. They're obviously not super high grade, but they hold up to what I do at work and at home. I like the x-beam actually. They're twisted so you can push/pull on the and and it's flat to your palm.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
I just bought a stihl 271 and I'm SO EXCITED. What a pretty new toy. Be afraid trees that fell in my yard because the Farm Boss is here to stay

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I just bought a stihl 271 and I'm SO EXCITED. What a pretty new toy. Be afraid trees that fell in my yard because the Farm Boss is here to stay

Nice. I am about to buy a new stihl. The only question is if I have the cash to step up to a pro saw.

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

some sort of irredeemable trash person
Yeah the 271 has served me well the year I've had it. Have used it both with a short and long blade, mostly with the short one, doing all the firewood for this winter. It's built well and okay easy to clean and maintain.

If I had to buy again I'd spend the extra for a pro model, which is crazy overkill for me, but I enjoy felling trees and cutting wood, so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

Rnr posted:

If I had to buy again I'd spend the extra for a pro model, which is crazy overkill for me, but I enjoy felling trees and cutting wood, so...

I am using this as an excuse to jump up to a pro saw. I was offered a pecan tree that I want to have cut in to boards and my current saw is way to small to drop this tree safely.