Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, the matchmaking is good at keeping you generally in your weight class, but you're still going to inevitably reach a point where you start losing a lot. That's just what online fighting games are - you rise up the ranks until you start losing, then you keep losing until you fall back to where you can win consistently, then you start to climb again, and then the cycle continues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Blaze Dragon posted:

Reasons to get FighterZ:

I could give more, but do you really need more?

the best dragonball z episode is the one where goku and piccolo go to the dmv

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I don't think this is a valid argument. In a competitive multiplayer game, somebody is going to lose. That's how it works. You either improve or you get left behind. Luckily, as people have been saying, Matchmaking is pretty smart now with getting you put together with people of a similar rank.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Also you'll never convince me to bother with online play when there's so many dorks who make a point of resetting their records so they can chump on newbies.

Granted, I'd be dinking around with story mode before ever touching online play, but I've quickly abandoned online play in most games since it's just not fun. I don't care about learning curves when the first week of play involves me eating poo poo every match.

This isn't a criticism of FighterZ, mind you. It's my experience with fighting games over the past couple years. I'm not trying to single anything out.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Is FighterZ worthwhile if you've literally never played a fighting game in your life but have recently been thinking of giving them a shot?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Blaze Dragon posted:

Reasons to get FighterZ:

Goku's Kramer shirt.
Vegeta's BADMAN shirt

and
Krillen's tactical police shorts.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

khwarezm posted:

Is FighterZ worthwhile if you've literally never played a fighting game in your life but have recently been thinking of giving them a shot?

As someone with zero fighting game knowledge, yeah. The controls are very simple for a fighting game, so it's easy to get into, and being a Dragon Ball game means you already have something you love in it. Plus, the story mode should give some fun. I have no intentions of playing online with random people but I do want the game a lot regardless, playing with friends should be a lot of fun.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

khwarezm posted:

Absolutely. I'm going to do the same.

Ooooonce the Super Fighterz edition is out with all the DLC characters.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

deadly_pudding posted:

I don't think this is a valid argument. In a competitive multiplayer game, somebody is going to lose. That's how it works. You either improve or you get left behind. Luckily, as people have been saying, Matchmaking is pretty smart now with getting you put together with people of a similar rank.

I mean, the thing is that the person asking about if Xenoverse is like Budokai might not be looking for that kind of game.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

khwarezm posted:

It's not the worst entry point I can think of. There's auto combos that are easy to pull off and will get you going and having fun while you learn more sophisticated ways to do damage, and the tutorial seems okay. But fighting games are by nature really hard to get into just because of the way various techniques and ideas have piled on top of each other and become expected/built upon over years of refinement, so you're going to lose a lot more games than you win until you've put a lot of hours of practice in.

That said, FighterZ should probably draw in a lot of people who are just as new as you are, so the climb'll be a little easier/more fun than it is in something like Street Fighter or Guilty Gear.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Blaze Dragon posted:

As someone with zero fighting game knowledge, yeah. The controls are very simple for a fighting game, so it's easy to get into, and being a Dragon Ball game means you already have something you love in it. Plus, the story mode should give some fun. I have no intentions of playing online with random people but I do want the game a lot regardless, playing with friends should be a lot of fun.

The single player stuff alone looks fun enough for me to invest in the game. I'm also planning on enjoying being Real Bad online because I'll be playing against other people who are Real Bad and we can do all the cool supers instead of maximizing our special gauge usage with other stuff that's not as cool.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

A good friend of mine who's been terrified of fighting games his whole life put a ton of time into the beta and adored it and felt like he was seriously learning even when he was getting walloped.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Blaze Dragon posted:

Reasons to get FighterZ:

Also you can make a team composed up of Goku, Goku and Goku.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

do we know who the DLC characters are? I kinda feel like Jiren, Kefla, and Cabba have to be safe bets.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
There’s no chance cabba makes the dlc roster.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

STONE COLD 64 posted:

do we know who the DLC characters are? I kinda feel like Jiren, Kefla, and Cabba have to be safe bets.

The most we know is the amount: 8, and even that's just the first wave, we could get more in the future. We have no idea who will be in it or if they'll follow FighterZ' canon-only roster or they'll branch out.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

its gonna be vegito, broly, cooler, roshi and who knows what else

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I'm hoping for first form frieza w/ hoverpod.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Champa, Super 17, Kid Goku, Jiren, Kefla, Ribrianne, Ultra Instinct Goku, Zeno

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

champa doesn't have any real screentime of him fighting, perish fool.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Oolong, Puar, Mr. Popo, Nice Launch, Mean Launch, Monaka, Pikon, the Two HFIL Ogres who play like one Character ala the Ice Climbers

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Goku's Kramer shirt.
Vegeta's BADMAN shirt

and
Krillen's tactical police shorts.

No mention of Krillin's tacos shirt??? gently caress you!

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face

Blaze Dragon posted:

Reasons to get FighterZ:

Why the gently caress is this only 3 out of 4 stars?????

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

You think there's enough material to make first form Cell into his own fighter and be different enough from Perfect Cell? I think there's some fun stuff they could do with him draining people with his tail.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

Why the gently caress is this only 3 out of 4 stars?????

4/4 is reserved only for the greatest of characters, BADMAN Vegeta.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im not gonna lie, I know they are lame looking, but I have a few Funko Pops on my desk at work including a Badman Vegeta

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/pndmustard/status/954066049342812161

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Stairmaster posted:

its gonna be vegito, broly, cooler, roshi and who knows what else

Why does everyone think Cooler's going to be in this?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I'm a huge-rear end scrub, so the demo gave me enough for the game. Played a solid five and a half hours, I improved during them, but by the end I just couldn't handle the motions needed to do good combos outside of the auto ones. Like, Goku's basic-rear end combo with a kamehameha would come out one out of five times, and i'd keep whiffing trying to do level 3s, even though they're just reverse shoryukens.

It's a great game, but fighting games just aren't my thing until we reach the utopian future where fighting games are all Rising Thunder or Smash Bros in their controls.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

khwarezm posted:

1) friezas brother
2) only movie villian popular enough besides broly to get an additional film
3) plenty of screentime actually fighting so they have stuff to use as animation references
4) looks cool

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Stairmaster posted:

2) only movie villian popular enough besides broly to get an additional film
How soon we forget about Hatchiyack.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

khwarezm posted:

He's a fan favorite and SysArc has loved him in the past. he was even in the spiritual predecessor to this game, Super Sonic Warriors 2

He's like the only movie villain besides Broly that is almost assured a spot in any game.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I mean, he does a lot of stuff. But most of that stuff boils down to "Frieza, but cooler," and it'd be very hard to combine elements from his two movies so we really only have one to work with.

That said, being able to just fly through beams to cold clock people would easily justify the slot.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Cooler is, ironically, not cooler than Frieza and managed to miss the deliberate minimalism of Frieza's final form spectacularly with his garish Shredder getup. Go to hell, Cooler.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

cooler is more handsome

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Shredder Cooler owns

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Cooler is a tryhard bitch and I could kill him easily

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Unpopular opinion, but I actually like Cooler's design a bit better than Gold Frieza. Cooler's design is just a bit of accessorizing on a more bulked-up Final Form. Meanwhile, something about Golden Frieza's not quite two toned but not quite four toned color palette just feels a little ugly to me.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Cooler was way better before I heard his voice in Japanese and realized he is literally just Frieza but less effective. It's another case of the English dub being way better in terms of voice casting.

Frost still should have gotten a Cooler-esque form though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

multijoe posted:

Cooler is, ironically, not cooler than Frieza and managed to miss the deliberate minimalism of Frieza's final form spectacularly with his garish Shredder getup. Go to hell, Cooler.

Seriously his form is so embarrassingly 90s and everything else just boils down to, 'Frieza... again'.

Stay away from my Dragonballs Cooler, you bring nothing.